• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fire pits in The Rotten fight sure are stupid. I feel like a lot of the boss fights are difficult not from their actual movesets but because of some sort of additional gimmick. Coming off of the DS1 DLC which I did for the first time a couple months ago this is really disappointing.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
> has to do stuff for uni
> all he can think about is ds2
Right there with you, friend. Only two more days of finals for me before I can continue my journey and claim souls in Aldia's Keep.
No point infusing if I have 40 dex, and my weapons are A in dex scaling, right? Only 8 faith and int.
Yep. I highly recommend seeking out and purchasing a variety of resins though to use as buffs. They really help depending on the situation; I have a stack of 50 fire and lightning.

Not willing to take that as a clue to anything, because they reuse a lot of sounds. At least two boss AoE attacks sound just like Nito's AoE and the stomping sound the Stray Demon makes walking around is in there somewhere too (forgot where I heard it).
Huge lore/story spoilers:

Alone Knights:
The boss of the area has the soul of Gwyn. The knights in the area sound like his knights when they die.

Not sure what other bosses use the Nito AoE sound effect but
The Rotten's AoE blast even looks as well as sounds very similar to Nito's and he also has Nito's soul

I know there are other re-used sound effects, like bizarrely the re-use of the New Londo ghosts screams by the Medusa boss (this seems more lazy than anything), but the above two I definately think were used on purpose to tie them into the lore.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If this were true I'd have my god damn sea bow! :(
Dude I feel like a complete dickwraith. For what it's worth I haven't played since we last chatted on PSN. Been busy with finals and will be until Tuesday but I still have a sea bow with your name on it for when I can actually get online and play again.

eot

Banned

Alone Knights:
The boss of the area has the soul of Gwyn. The knights in the area sound like his knights when they die.

The Rotten's AoE blast even looks as well as sounds very similar to Nito's and he also has Nito's soul

I know there are other re-used sound effects, like bizarrely the re-use of the New Londo ghosts screams by the Medusa boss (this seems more lazy than anything), but the above two I definately think were used on purpose to tie them into the lore.

Oh, fair enough. I did not know that lore stuff. Haven't read up on it yet.
Medusa is one I noticed but forgot until you mentioned it. As for the AoE
Smelter Demon also has that sound. Or at least something that sounds very much like it.

Ugh
Shrine of Amana
is a total shithole. I got past the second hut (
where you can summon Felicia)
and the designers decided to throw everything at you on the other side of that damn door. 3 or 4 lizard dudes (the things that have the weird fireflies over them, idk what to call them) a sorcerer, a cleric who bumrushes you and then another sorcerer who can hit you from the other side of the map. Die to that once, make it through. Then on my way to the sorcerer in the distance I fucking fall into the water. It's impossible to see where the damn cliffedge is without a torch, but you can't deal with everything that they throw at you without a shield either.

This is the only place in the game so far giving me trouble. It seems like the designers can't make hard enough enemies so they have to throw a million of them at you at once on top of pitfalls randomly spread around the level. Dumb

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
What´s the deal with the
Pharros lockstone
at Iron Keep?

Did it fill a
little pool of water
? If so, I think it's
healing water
. pointless ahead.

e: apparently not so pointless if it gives you a
fire buff

zkylon

zkylewd
What´s the deal with the
Pharros lockstone
at Iron Keep?

the first one?

if it's the one that pours water then if you step on the water you get a fire resistance buff that helps you reach the chest on the lava floor part. i still used smelter demon armor+flash sweat to get it but it might've been overkill

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just got invaded by a guy taking no damage from three of us attacking at once, beginning of the end!
Clearly Fromsoft's "honor system" to prevent cheating is working just as intended.
-_-
What´s the deal with the
Pharros lockstone
at Iron Keep?
It's meant to help buff your fire resistance when you try to get the treasures on the burning coal paths. But the water urns inside the keep itself are better for that.

Sullichin

Dude I feel like a complete dickwraith. For what it's worth I haven't played since we last chatted on PSN. Been busy with finals and will be until Tuesday but I still have a sea bow with your name on it for when I can actually get online and play again.

No problem man! I've conceded to not having it :)
Brought down my DEX to 12 and upped STR to 50 and decided that I won't need a bow afterall. I've done tons of PVP on this character without one and I'd have to mess around with my equip load. I'll just continue being a pure STR physical damage melee dude. Only been playing the PC version since it came out too. Impossible to go back.

What´s the deal with the
Pharros lockstone
at Iron Keep?
(gameplay spoilers)
If you roll in it you get wet, which apparently improves your fire resistance. I never noticed much of a difference, and the jumps to get there feel so risky.

Edit: I never thought of using it for that reason (Jackben's suggestion). Damn.

Alone Knights:

The bosses with the Nito sound effect are
The Rotten, Nashandra, The Prowling Moron, and The Smelter Demon
. Any more, anyone?

z1ggy

Did it fill a
little pool of water
? If so, I think it's
healing water
. pointless ahead.

the first one?

if it's the one that pours water then if you step on the water you get a fire resistance buff that helps you reach the chest on the lava floor part. i still used smelter demon armor+flash sweat to get it but it might've been overkill

Clearly Fromsoft's "honor system" to prevent cheating is working just as intended.
-_-
It's meant to help buff your fire resistance when you try to get the treasures on the burning coal paths. But the water urns inside the keep itself are better for that.

Oh, got it. Thank you.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
the first one?

-_-

Wow, didn't know about that buff.

Grief.exe

Ugh
Shrine of Amana
is a total shithole. I got past the second hut (
where you can summon Felicia)
and the designers decided to throw everything at you on the other side of that damn door. 3 or 4 lizard dudes (the things that have the weird fireflies over them, idk what to call them) a sorcerer, a cleric who bumrushes you and then another sorcerer who can hit you from the other side of the map. Die to that once, make it through. Then on my way to the sorcerer in the distance I fucking fall into the water. It's impossible to see where the damn cliffedge is without a torch, but you can't deal with everything that they throw at you without a shield either.

This is the only place in the game so far giving me trouble. It seems like the designers can't make hard enough enemies so they have to throw a million of them at you at once on top of pitfalls randomly spread around the level. Dumb

I thought Shrine and the next area had the most frustrating enemy placement in the whole game.

It's not really interesting design, just throwing large amounts of tough enemies at you.

The bosses with the Nito sound effect are
The Rotten, Nashandra, The Prowling Moron, and The Smelter Demon
. Any more, anyone?

I noticed that a few times. Gave me a clue to roll away during that effect.

hmm start anew with a magic build or start NG+ with my str build - what you say SoulsGAF?

You can almost do both if you want. Respec to magic in NG+, many people are recommending the MLGS build.

Alone Knights:

What do you mean by has the soul of
Gwynn and Nito?

L.O.R.D

so, i went to Drangleic Castle , before the boss area
there is alot of red summon signs
so , i start to summon them one by one
90% i win
some time i see a help summon sign
so i call them to help me if there is 2 dark phantom

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So I want the Dragon Chime badly but I'm too lazy to farm Human Effigies for The Pilgrims of Dark convenant. Shall I
just kill the old disabled guy and loot it from him?
. Feels kinda bad

Gbraga

So I want the Dragon Chime badly but I'm too lazy to farm Human Effigies for The Pilgrims of Dark convenant. Shall I
. Feels kinda bad

There's a great boss fight there, just buy them from NPCs

JustinBB7

Dark Transgressor's Leather shield and rolling are your friends.

From seems to really like the super strong spells that you just lock on and press a button, and do the same amount of damage as 3-4 hits from a fully upgraded weapon. For how amazing the melee combat is in Souls games, it's remarkable how OP and broken casting continues to be in these games. Not even the damage, or stat allocation none of that, literally just skill of execution is so remarkably low comparatively to the damage output.

Yea I rolled but the AoE was huge and still hit me, it's also a very tiny area in bellkeepers tower. I'll look around for that shield. Pretty stupid how OP some spells are.

akira28

I just found equipable push-up bra

I... Just... I love you From.

I love watching my girl shimmy up ladders. She has round hips so she makes even the Elite Knight armor look good.

Funny thing is, I made a stocky male character originally, but then I got into this weird coffin, expecting a shortcut to Gravelord Nito or something, and then...suddenly a cute, thick, black girl with dreads. I decided to keep her. It was a funny trick from FROM but kinda smart, encouraging people to try something the normally might not have.

HoosTrax

. Feels kinda bad
You can farm them from the zombie dogs in Lost Bastille, and from the lizardmen in Shrine of Amana.

Sullichin

. Feels kinda bad

Don't miss out on the best boss in the game.

Just ascetic the first bonfire in Forest of the Fallen Giants. 5 free effigies from the first wooden chest near the entrance from Majula, and another effigy near the sitting Heide knight. This bonfire isn't attached to any bosses and the enemies don't get much harder.

Screw farming dogs/whatever. Effigy droprates are terrible even with maxed out item find gear. It's worse than farming for humanity in the sewers in DS1 pre-patch.

Mr Git

Does DS2 have some kind of "farming detection"? I don't mean enemies having a limited number of spawns. What happened is that I was trying to complete a particular armor set for almost an hour, and when I killed the last enemy on the very last possible run it dropped not just one but 2 pieces, completing the set for me -- that was after at least 80 kills with only 2 single piece drops. Maybe it was just a really nice coincidence, or maybe someone really coded a "give the poor guy his armor already" trigger?

Perhaps just luck. I've got two pieces of armour from common drops, but I farmed for the shadow set for ages. Took over 200 kills to do it, although admittedly the last piece dropped just as I about to give up entirely. Maybe it just knows.

ZQQLANDER

Thanks for the advice. Pulling up on his shield side really helps. Just have to be more patient I guess. I would have had him this past time, but his basic slash went right through my shield (even though I had full stamina). I've noticed several times where enemies' attacks ignore any block that I put up. What's up with this?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Don't miss out on the best boss in the game.

Just ascetic the first bonfire in Forest of the Fallen Giants. 5 free effigies from the first wooden chest near the entrance from Majula, and another effigy near the sitting Heide knight. This bonfire isn't attached to any bosses and the enemies don't get much harder.

Screw farming dogs/whatever. Effigy droprates are terrible even with maxed out item find gear. It's worse than farming for humanity in the sewers in DS1 pre-patch.

Wow, I didn't know that ascetics would reset the loot as well. Gonna farm some of them now. Thanks for the replies

sixghost

Does DS2 have some kind of "farming detection"? I don't mean enemies having a limited number of spawns. What happened is that I was trying to complete a particular armor set for almost an hour, and when I killed the last enemy on the very last possible run it dropped not just one but 2 pieces, completing the set for me -- that was after at least 80 kills with only 2 single piece drops. Maybe it was just a really nice coincidence, or maybe someone really coded a "give the poor guy his armor already" trigger?

That's just straight up luck. I farmed a few enemy types to extinction looking for certain gear and never got it. That would be a really nice thing to add though. Some of the drop rates are so damn low in these games.

Gbraga

I love the skeleton messages, they're the best!

skeleton, man!

Shana-chaaaan

tumblr_n520y1gD2x1rl2oabo1_500.jpg

She's sooooo cute!

I'm liking the conjunctions we can do now. I saw one in a dark area that said

Let me out of here and then... Praise the sun

got a hearty smirk out of me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom