• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

She's very Irish, that's all I'm saying :p Sure she's even called the emerald herald and has somewhat of a celtic cross on her dress. Gilligan has what sounds like an authentic west Ireland accent, down to pronouncing west as wesht. Would love to know who voiced him. Unfortunate name though, because the most famous Irish Gilligan I can think of is a drug criminal.

Oh hey a lower level I could reach if I jumped. Let me just angle it out and j- OH SHIT THE ROLLING MECHANI- AAAAAAAAAAAND I'M DEAD

Fuck the rolling after a jump. It has made me miss so many fucking jumps. Let me choose if I want to roll, ala Zelda.
"Try plunging attack, horse required."

Seriously though - plunging attack on all those crazy jumps like the dull ember, start of Earthen Peak etc, works a charm.

Mistel

Banned
She's very Irish, that's all I'm saying :p Sure she's even called the emerald herald and has somewhat of a celtic cross on her dress. Gilligan has what sounds like an authentic west Ireland accent, down to pronouncing west as wesht. Would love to know who voiced him. Unfortunate name though, because the most famous Irish Gilligan I can think of is a drug criminal.
Emerald herald is Ruth Negga and Gilligan is Connor Bryne both are Irish.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is int even buffing my spells? it seems to do fuck all to make them stronger

If you have something to mitigate fall damage,
you can walk forward from the top where the entrance to Belfry Sol is and land outside the indent of the bonfire "trap".

ahhh Thanks. I tried on Sol to see how the BellBros are here compared to Luna. Still assholes. Might skip this one all together, need to see what i'm missing

FUCK! destroyed a chest that was behind a illusionary wall right after the ruin sentinels :(

Yeah, had that happen as well

I really hate the fucking platforming in these games. Christ.

Jump > Roll > Dead. without fail

Vuze

I guess Dragon Aerie is my favorite area. Just got there and it's so stunning, even more with ENB.

btw, which armor set would you recommend at that stage? I use Broadsword and a normal Shield and want to farm one before I continue.

You're talking about hyperbole and have "I don't understand the complaints". I can't exactly take that seriously with all the evidence present. Type Dark Souls 2 lag into google and read the threads and watch the videos. They are issues and are present. And DS2 has broken spells/weapons and systems. There's already an infamous glitch people are exploiting. Is it still fun? Yes, when you find a good fight. But when life or death for you depends on being hit by a magical ghost sword, it isn't quite as fun for others as you'd think. You're welcome to defend it, but there are clear issues with it.
Lag? Up to this point I noticed some lag in some fights, but nothing major, not that frequent and anyway miles better than DkS1. Of course if some player gets massive lag in a particular fight for some circumstantial reason and then puts the recorded video on youtube, everyone is going to take that particular bad case, among with some others, as the standard PVP experience in DkS2, but that's simply not the case.

Broken spells/weapons and systems? What? That's the hyperbole. DkS2 is more balanced and more varied than DkS1, in which there were like 3 or 4 strategies that made you always win, and everyone used the same weapons. One massive unbalance, the MLGS buffing, has been patched. Are you referring to the backstep/parry glitch? I've seen the videos, it's certainly there and should be patched, and it will be, but it's nothing major, it's not going to break PVP for the majority of people.

About soul memory: up to this point I had 0 problems with matchmaking, like 0. I always died because of my incompetence in a particular situation, and not because I felt that my opponent was overpowered. The fact that you can fuck up your build by reaching 15M SM by using souls in things other than leveling up is a problem, but it's not massively different from what you had in DkS1, in which there was often a clear difference between a build made for PVE and one made for PVP, so if you wanted to PVP you had to craft your build from the beginning. Of course one can solve the problem by starting another build, and that somehow allows to balance the fact that in NG there are few people for PVP, because everyone is parked in NG+ or NG++ at high SM.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
granted, I am admidatly not very good at this game, but explain to me how pvp is fun when you are invaded by multiple people? I just dont understand the logic in that honestly. how am I supposed to get through belfry luna if Im constantly invaded by multiple people at the same time?

Leezard

granted, I am admidatly not very good at this game, but explain to me how pvp is fun when you are invaded by multiple people? I just dont understand the logic in that honestly. how am I supposed to get through belfry luna if Im constantly invaded by multiple people at the same time?

They can't heal, you can heal. Exploit this and try to defeat the NPC dwarves before you get invaded.

zkylon

zkylewd

it's not very fun, really

also you can estus and they can't, so i guess there's that

Vitor711

They can't heal, you can heal. Exploit this and try to defeat the NPC dwarves before you get invaded.

Still don't think that evens things out. At least in DeS/DkS, there was a risk/reward dynamic to being in human form as invasions could only happen then. However, that was also the only time you can summon help. Now however you can get invaded when hollow and that's just BS. Invaders can double team and get help from the AI. I have yet to see a summon sign in the Belfry for jolly cooperation and no Blue dude has ever appeared to help me out.

And it doesn't really matter if you can heal when most people camping out at the bells are decked out in pure PVP gear and the area is so small that you'll never get enough space between you and them to chug an estus.

It also breaks high level PvP which is far more important than low level shit which doesn't even happen in this game since invasions in regular NG are non-existent. There is no reason for Soul Memory. At all.

EXACTLY! That was my point. It is nice, that it prevents low level twinks, but it affects everyone on later levels. That is the point where it all breaks down and fucks up the dynamic of the game.

It also breaks high level PvP which is far more important than low level shit which doesn't even happen in this game since invasions in regular NG are non-existent. There is no reason for Soul Memory. At all.
EXACTLY! That was my point. It is nice, that it prevents low level twinks, but it affects everyone on later levels. That is the point where it all breaks down and fucks up the dynamic of the game.
Have you considered the possibility that SM can encourage people to play multiple characters, thus raising the occurrence of PVP at low levels?
I agree, but from another point of view: how is it fun to kill a host when it fights against multiple phantoms?

Ruuppa

Have you considered the possibility that SM can encourage people to play multiple characters, thus raising the occurrence of PVP at low levels?

Multiples of the exact same character, if you really like a certain PVP build. What's the point of that? Seems like padding.

It also undermines NG+ and onwards.

DeaviL

Banned
I've been double teamed while invading and have double teamed others when being invaded. So it's not always all that unfair.
Screw the black smoke poison hex btw.

I don't think you can put down a sign in the Belfry. I've tried a few times, but am unable. Blue Sentinels won't come to help if grey phantoms invade either, only red.

I've summoned someone in the Belfry Luna, while the black smoke was already blocking the entrance. I've also invaded a player and a summon in the Belfry Sol.

It's not...unless you are on are Team BellBro.

Still don't think that evens things out. At least in DeS/DkS, there was a risk/reward dynamic to being in human form as invasions could only happen then. However, that was also the only time you can summon help. Now however you can get invaded when hollow and that's just BS. Invaders can double team and get help from the AI. I have yet to see a summon sign in the Belfry for jolly cooperation and no Blue dude has ever appeared to help me out.

And it doesn't really matter if you can heal when most people camping out at the bells are decked out in pure PVP gear and the area is so small that you'll never get enough space between you and them to chug an estus.

I don't think you can put down a sign in the Belfry. I've tried a few times, but am unable. Blue Sentinels won't come to help if grey phantoms invade either, only red.

Thrakier

So, I have a firesword +6. It scales B with fire and C with strength. I know how to put points in strenght. But how do I put points in "fire"?

ElFly

It's not...unless you are on are Team BellBro.

You can in Luna, both in the initial bridge, as near the door going to the gargoyles. You will only be able to summon one phantom, or be summoned as the only phantom for the other party.

I think it may be disabled if you are in the process of being invaded, tho.

Arjen

But there are so few cracked orbs in NG that invasions are really limited anyway.
Soul memory is helping no one right now, Twinking is already dealt with because of the limited suply or red orbs.
They should either remove soul memory, or have limited red orbs, not both.

krakov

Eh? SM makes rerolling a pain since you basically have to finish the game once to even start engaging in pvp. If anything it encourages people to use the same character forever.

Thank god from got Irish people to do the Irish accents so we didnt wind up with Brad Pitt in The Devils Own style accents. I love the Emerald Heralds accent. Well, aside fro mthe fuckign bearer..seek..seek..lest bit.
I always thought the Souls games had a bit of an Irish flavour to them i nsome areas. Shrine of Storms in DeS always made me think of the Coast here. And some of the castles are straight out of ruins ive seen dotted around the countryside.

The game really picks up in the latter part. At Shrine of amana now and its pure evil. But in a good, tough, souls-ey way. Drangleic Castle was pretty good too, reminded me of the Castle in Anor Londo. Mirror Knight was tough but enjoyable, summoned the NPC for that fight and it made it much easier. Id say in NG+ Mirror Knights little gimmick could get absolutely ridiculously frustrating tho, given how broken PVP is. I have to 2nd what some peopel are saying about PVP in this, its jsut too laggy and random to be really fun. The most fun i had was fighting against 2 invaders who were so totally chivalrous they decided to gank me at the same time, i killed one, and then as the 2nd landed a killing blow on me, my old sun ring blew him the fuck up :lol: Might be cheap, but yeah so is 2 on 1, motherfucker.

But yeah, fuck PVP, and the thought of constant invasions in NG+ has really turned me off the idea of doing NG+ at all

Vitor711

About summoning in the Belfry Sol, from the Wiki:

Unnecessarily obtuse. Most people won't know to do this and will just think it's another "no co-op allowed" area such as the RRA and RRV boss fights.

Shame, because the gargoyle fight is neat once you work out how to do it. I'll be playing Belfry Luna offline though should I get around there for NG++. Just not fun.

Rhaknar

i dont even know why im bothering with belfry luna just to get the bastille key and light up the sinners room, i didnt do it on my tank, and this time im just straight going to summon a posse anyway, im sure we can handle it even with the lights out

Leezard

Exploit falling down through the floor. Since you can heal, you can let them get the fall damage, and the fall should be enough time to heal.

LiK

i dont even know why im bothering with belfry luna just to get the bastille key and light up the sinners room, i didnt do it on my tank, and this time im just straight going to summon a posse anyway, im sure we can handle it even with the lights out

You can, it's not that bad with the lights off.

Rhaknar

just tried and got destroyed, I keep losing the target reticle >_<

and theres no summon signs wtf? 199k cant be that high soul level, I havent really farmed

You can in Luna, both in the initial bridge, as near the door going to the gargoyles. You will only be able to summon one phantom, or be summoned as the only phantom for the other party.

I think it may be disabled if you are in the process of being invaded, tho.

That's probably it. I entered the Belfry once and there was a fog gate by the time I got to the dwarf...few seconds later : invade.

Vitor711

Exploit falling down through the floor. Since you can heal, you can let them get the fall damage, and the fall should be enough time to heal.

Tried that but you have to roll back first in case they land a falling hit. Still, they could just take the stairs if they're smart and avoid it completely if they know that you'd get a heal off anyway.

Regardless, it's not worth the trouble. I don't mind being invaded in any other location as long as it's 1v1.

Although, to be fair, being summoned by a RatBro and then having a 10 minute war of attrition as they constantly heal is no fun. Don't force me into your world and then waste my time. And I'd rather not wait for them to waste 12 estus chugs... Fought a guy with stupid high Adaptability the other day who did just that. Not a fan of the near-instant chug.

So would it be clever to put points in it even though I'm playing a melee char and not a magic guy? Just because of the fire sword?

Only if you don't have a more useful/urgent stat to raise.

Personally I made a heide sword+10 and gave it poison effect. Probably not the most efficient thing, but it makes fighting tanky monsters and bosses almost trivial.

Vitor711

So would it be clever to put points in it even though I'm playing a melee char and not a magic guy? Just because of the fire sword?

If you're using it a lot, then yes. Str. scaling drops off after a point. Then again, I'd rather just have a longer End bar to go along with the damage to get more hits in.

Now that I've completed the game once, I'm putting a bunch of points into Faith as I get more out of it than the half points you start earning once you're above 50 on any one stat.

There are some enemies who are very weak against fire though and having extra Faith will help against those. Also, enemies later on are super weak to lightning so it's probably worth it in the end.

eot

Banned
Yep, totally agree, making builds for invading a certain area was really fun, shame that that's not possible anymore.

For cooping too. I have a few dedicated sunbro characters in DkS whom I've just parked in the right level range.

LiK

just tried and got destroyed, I keep losing the target reticle >_<

and theres no summon signs wtf? 199k cant be that high soul level, I havent really farmed
You can lock on but keep a close distance and circle around closely to not lose it. You only tend to lose the lock-on if LS jumps up high for a down swing. Definitely not bad for melee guys but it's pretty tough for range/magic builds.

Stet

Banned

This is the kind of thing that could have been said before the game was out. The game is out and has been for a while and this is not happening. It's irrelevant.

Gbraga

Man, every time I think "Ok, I got it", I remember Heide and the Cathedral of Blue, they always screw up my theories.

And about Soul Memory, so what, I shouldn't care at all about staying under lvl 150 then or is that something they might patch?

Okay, I understand the hatred for Bell Keepers, but camping the spawn with magic and backstabs is just rude. I had two people in a row try and get me like that but luckily I was able to come out on top both times.

Skab

I didn't even know the fight was supposed to be hard(er) in the dark. Dude is rather easy, I thought.

In fact, I have found the vast majority of the bosses to be kind of disappointingly easy.

LiK

Man, every time I think "Ok, I got it", I remember Heide and the Cathedral of Blue, they always screw up my theories.

And about Soul Memory, so what, I shouldn't care at all about staying under lvl 150 then or is that something they might patch?

Soul lvl doesn't matter from what I know. It's all Soul Memory. You're just handicapping yourself if you keep your SL capped.

Gbraga

Oh hey a lower level I could reach if I jumped. Let me just angle it out and j- OH SHIT THE ROLLING MECHANI- AAAAAAAAAAAND I'M DEAD

Fuck the rolling after a jump. It has made me miss so many fucking jumps. Let me choose if I want to roll, ala Zelda.

You can attack while in the air to drop in the exact point you want during the jump, I actually think it's neat that they made you use that for platforming in this game. Every long jump in Dark Souls was a matter of switching back to 30fps so I can make it.

Soul lvl doesn't matter from what I know. It's all Soul Memory. You're just handicapping yourself if you keep your SL capped.

I guess I should infuse my Washing Pole and start to put points into INT/Faith then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom