• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew, I completed my second no-death run after I couldn't transfer save data between Steam accounts...This time between 13 and 14 hours.
I can now stop worrying about deaths and tackle all the side content, then farm everything I can. NG+(+) will have to wait a whole lot before I can journey forth.

knitoe

The problem that I get with SLI (2x GTX 780) is that on every profile I test I get huge performance drops in certain places (like from 60 to 24), like when I look down the well in Majula.

I don't see this performance drop unless I'm downsampling with GeDoSaTo (my monitor won't allow me to downsample through the nvidia control panel, so I can't test that avenue)

It's just too weird that it happens in those specific places, so I don't think it's a problem with GeDoSaTo. There's one SLI profile that does not result in the performance drop, but it breaks the lighting in Dark Souls, so I can't use it either.

Strange performance drops.

Pretty much this. I tested with and without GeDoSaTo and the weird drops were there regardless. I'm using a 690GTX.

This is a pretty big release right? Hopefully Nvidia gives a shit this time and we get a working profile.
Damn, guess, I was using the one no performance drop, but lighting issue. Guess, I should play without SLI and see what lighting I was missing during NG run.

impact

Banned
I think I'm half way through... But I haven't beaten a single boss without summoning help. I'm going full Mage based on a reddit build and honestly it's impossible. I think im lvl 90 or so and tho i can use any spell/hex/miracle, bosses are still impossible alone. Everything one-hit-kills me. If there's ever a point where I can't summon shadows to help I think I'm gonna be fucked. I don't think I have the patience to start over either :(

Anyone else in the same situation?

Mage is easy mode. You should be blowing bosses up by yourself. If you're getting 1 shotted by everything on NG then you messed your stats up or are using some terrible gear.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I get one shotted by everything because I didn't put a single point into Vigor.

Living life on the edge~

Mr Git

Yes, ng+ feels like gfwl dark souls. Sadness ahead.

I'd imagine it'll get better, the retail release was late and people will need to catch up. On console I found more summon signs (and constant invasions) on NG++ than NG+. Anecdotal, yes, but it seems pretty frequent.

Grief.exe

I'm getting summoned, but its not the stream of consistent online interaction you come to expect from NG.

Had my Blue Setinels ring on for the entirety of Forest of the Giants, Heide's, and No Man's Wharf and had only 3 summons so far.

elfinke

From my limited time in NG+, I've been invaded more times just in FoFG than my entire time in NG. Invaded twice just while trying to break Santier's Spear (a 30 second job, mind you) against all the corpses near the first bonfire. Won one, got whooped in the other invasion. Shit was driving me fucking mad, :lol!

DukeBobby

I just started NG+. I guess I'll never see as many summon signs as before. :(

It's a little barren at the beginning, but you'll see plenty of summon signs later on.

The first big summoning spot I found was just before the
Ruin Sentinels
fight. I put my sign down 5 times and was summoned in seconds.

What is the Soul Memory window in ng+. Seems like the window should widen as soul memory goes up as the player base soul memory diverges. A strictly flat window just cuts you off more and more the further you go.

I'm at the Dragon Shrine right now, made $5 from Playfire, and am 50 hours into DkS2.

Such a great game, well worth the money, and glad I held out for the PC version.

Damn, guess, I was using the one no performance drop, but lighting issue. Guess, I should play without SLI and see what lighting I was missing during NG run.

0x02506405 has worked perfectly for me. No slowdown, no flickering, no lighting issues over about 70 hours of play.

Garcia

I don't know if any of you guys were in that O
ld
I
ron
K
ing
sunbro raid just a couple of minutes ago.

Jesus christ, that was insane. Dude didn't last 10 seconds, we went full lightning against him. Awesome stuff!

Guys, the Halberd is so good. I think I've found the weapon to use for the remainder of my first playthrough. That two handed R1 running attack. WOW.

(Which is at 30 hours currently, and I feel like I'm not even halfway through. I'm purposefully taking my time, and loving it.)

I've been doing some PvP arena. When it's a good match with no lag it's amazing and really fun to fight a capable opponent. But more often that not, that's not the case. Seriously:

1. Dark/Magic spells are broken as shit in PvP. Not because they're fast to cast, I can deal with that. It's because if there's any lag whatsoever, which there is, the animation might not happen. So one second the guy will be staring at you the other a spell is flying and hits you.

2. Lag. I mentioned it in the previous one but lag is bullshit. I've hit guys so many times and nothing happens because of it.

3. Hitboxes. Do ultragreatswords have a magical extra 6 feet of hitbox where you can be that far away from a thrust and still get hit?

4. Whatever the fuck the name of the spear is, the one that has that running three spin move. Those that use it? Go fuck yourselves. I wouldn't be mad if it wasn't for the above two issues where I can dodge but lag says I got hit. But the fact that move does as much damage as it does is bullcrap. From needs to nerf this move, I know there are videos of people abusing it.

5. I fought two guys attempting to do the backstep/parry glitch. Fuck both of y'all kicked both of your asses.

ugoo18

You know what, fuck
Ancient Dragon
. I've been trying to beat him for the past two hours. Even respecced like an idiot to buff up STR and STA and I'm dealing the same amount of damage.

And I understand his patterns, but
I can never figure out what exactly makes him breathe his fire while on the ground. It's like this thin radius in front or slightly to the side of his head but the pattern always goes like this - first breathe fire on foot, then fly up and do the area fire. The thing is, he repeats this cycle but slowly goes backwards a bit, to the edge of the arena, so once he goes that far he starts going a bit forward every time with the aerial attack, so my Gyrm Greatshield is useless as the flames are above and around me. I even patiently wait from afar for him to start slowly moving forward but something always fucks me up, his foot falls on me or he decides to swipe his claw out of nowhere. I also deal like 500-600 dmg with either a Raw Mastodon Halberd +10 or a Giant Warrior Club +10. The cheap one kills are ruining it for me.
I'm all for tough bosses and DS2 needs more of them (at least in NG) but the difference between all bosses and
Ancient Dragon
is insane.

Sorry, venting rant.

I felt that same pain,
he's a terrible boss. Perhaps it's just me still being angry after killing him but he's honestly the worst designed boss out of both Souls games. Ridiculous health, KO's with the barest hits (I can understand something massive falling on you or his flames torching you but his toe moving OHKOd me a couple of times -_-) and just generally a terrible fight. When you have to almost strip your character to max out damage because you know regardless of what combination of gear you wear it will still OHKO you that's a bad boss.

No idea if he's been altered in any of the subsequent patches but this is all v1.01 so i'm not sure if it's any different. I did it as a mage and focused on his back feet, mainly the right one. It would usually bait him into raising his foot to stomp down rather than fly up (Although he still did that quite a few times). Also used Gower's Ring of Protection so i could actually run towards his tail without being OHKOd when he flew up to rain down fire, also had a couple of repairs since it's quite frail.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Zweihander is so good. +10 gives me 350 damage compared to my 250 damage +3 Smelter Sword.

Need to find more Petrified Dragon Bones. I'm just barely gonna have enough to max it out (not including the ones I might randomly get like from the Smooth and Silky Stones)

edit: and forgot to mention, the Zweihander weighs a lot less too. So good.

ugoo18

The Zweihander is so good. +10 gives me 350 damage compared to my 250 damage +3 Smelter Sword.

Need to find more Petrified Dragon Bones. I'm just barely gonna have enough to max it out (not including the ones I might randomly get like from the Smooth and Silky Stones)

edit: and forgot to mention, the Zweihander weighs a lot less too. So good.

Huh?

Doesn't that make the Smelter Sword better in the long run when it's maxed out?

Taruranto

m6ewfgL.jpg
THAT HAT!? With this armor...?

For fuck sake FROM, It's Dusk's crown all over again. =_=

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just got to Ornifex. Are there any souls one should NOT trade to her or Straid? What are some item highlights? Too many decisions!

Just got to Ornifex. Are there any souls one should NOT trade to her or Straid? What are some item highlights? Too many decisions!

There's a list of boss weapons for each of them. Just see what you like of each. As to which souls you shouldn't consume
Soul of Giants
at least until you beat
the zombie king
. Everything else can be consumed. Well the 4 big boss souls shouldn't be consumed until you
get through the shrine of winter
once that door is open you can do w/e you want.

I think I've settled with the weapons I like swapping between. S
un
S
word
, S
antier's
S
pear
, and P
ate's
S
pear
. I haven't been feeling too good on the combat compared to the first, but I've started to get my groove with these. Although I've been slow to progress, I plowed through three p
rimal
b
onfires
today following up the one I did last week.

2AdEPT

I think I'm half way through... But I haven't beaten a single boss without summoning help. I'm going full Mage based on a reddit build and honestly it's impossible. I think im lvl 90 or so and tho i can use any spell/hex/miracle, bosses are still impossible alone. Everything one-hit-kills me. If there's ever a point where I can't summon shadows to help I think I'm gonna be fucked. I don't think I have the patience to start over either :(

you can afford to give yourself more stats...90 is too low to approach the end game. You can still co-oop with high levels ...its based on soul memory

Yeah, I've been seeing that spear a lot too. PvP is no fun when everyone is copying each other.

My main issue is that their damage output with their speed is broken. Every other melee weapon at least has a decent ratio of how much damage you do vs speed and stamina. But these weapons with spinny moves are redunk. I don't tend to ask for fixing in games, but these need to be brought down in damage or at the very least not stagger you when you get hit so you can get out of the way when they do those moves.

Garcia

Guys, the game's interiors now look way darker (vanilla, no mods). When did they release the new calibrations?

:O

Why not respec? Find a soul vessel and redistribute your points. I can't recommend a strength/faith build enough. It's easy for PvE. PvP it does decently but it depends on who you fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom