• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
just tried and got destroyed, I keep losing the target reticle >_<

Stay close and straife around his/her off-hand side. Most of the attack will miss, you may have to roll as well

For cooping too. I have a few dedicated sunbro characters in DkS whom I've just parked in the right level range.

until you over level SM, right?

Man, every time I think "Ok, I got it", I remember Heide and the Cathedral of Blue, they always screw up my theories.

And about Soul Memory, so what, I shouldn't care at all about staying under lvl 150 then or is that something they might patch?

Right. Ride SL as high as you are comfortable with.

Durante

It also breaks high level PvP which is far more important than low level shit which doesn't even happen in this game since invasions in regular NG are non-existent.
I (and people I was cooping with) have been invaded 12 times in total so far during the first playthrough.

Vitor711

I (and people I was cooping with) have been invaded 12 times in total so far during the first playthrough.

Not including BellBros?

Because, outside of the AI Phantoms that are scripted, I think I had 2 genuine Red Phantom invasions in all of my NG playthrough. Then again, I may have been a little overlevelled in some areas due to helping a lot of people with the early bosses several times. Finished NG at SL 180 or so.

Gbraga

Ahhh can't wait to go home and go back to fighting the A
ncient Dragon

I think I got the hang of the fight,
I only die when he goes forward while in the air, I guess may if I run towards his tail it'd be more reliable than going back.

Cizard

Not including BellBros?

Because, outside of the AI Phantoms that are scripted, I think I had 2 genuine Red Phantom invasions in all of my NG playthrough. Then again, I may have been a little overlevelled in some areas due to helping a lot of people with the early bosses several times. Finished NG at SL 180 or so.

Regular invasions are extremely rare. So far I've had none on my current NG playthrough on PC and I don't recall having much more than 1/2 times on ps3 either. I guess it helps if you're mostly hollow as while you can be invaded as hollow I think human players are still higher priority?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Regular invasions are extremely rare. So far I've had none on my current NG playthrough on PC and I don't recall having much more than 1/2 times on ps3 either. I guess it helps if you're mostly hollow as while you can be invaded as hollow I think human players are still higher priority?

This has been my experience as well. I have one character at end game in NG+ and another at end game in NG and I've been invaded maybe 10 times total. Seems to me like people would rather just go to the PVP hotspots.

Durante, do you think there is a way to increase the draw distance of the enemies? I'm in the shrine of Amana and the only way I can deal with the sorceresses safely is by using the bow, but the draw distance is so low, they just disappear if you go that far.
I think they went a bit overboard on pc with the draw distance, enemies lose detail and animation frames so quickly it's almost comical.

I think I'm overleveled for Luna for NG, don't get summoned there anymore. Guess I'll move on to Sol and ruin some people there.

No, just Red (player) Phantoms.

Edit: should be noted that I'm always human, for aesthetic reasons.

Damn that's a lot. I'm mostly human (I think?) and only been invaded once in 20 hours outside of Bros.

Zafir

I haven't been invaded once outside of the bellbros and I've just got the item from the ancient dragon. Oh and not counting the ratbro summon when I was going through the area you fall to from Majula.

SoundLad

Last night was doing some invasions at Huntsmans Copse with my red orbs at around ~70 SL (not sure of soul memory now).
First 5 invasions end up being 3-on-1 or 2-on-1 massacres. One after, I invade a lone player progressing through the level. I see that a hook monster is about to attack and politely wait until the host kills it. I bow, he bows and the duel to death begins. Lo and behold, a blue sentinel comes in to help the host and they decide to try and gangbang me. End up taking out the sentinel with a few hits from my Heide's sword and guard break + critical. Back to the host - trading blows and finishing him with a lightning bolt as he's trying to escape....while aiming with binoculars! Welcome to Dark Souls.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have *the* worst luck. I buy a key from SimplyCDkeys, because I've seen nothing but praise, key is a duplicate. Oh well, they refunded me the next day and on top of that gave me a coupon worth £5. Apparently there's been issues with the shipments containing dupes on the prints inside the cases.

Second site I try, also reputable for being quick (and having great customer service) same deal there. Currently awaiting a response. It's not meant to be GAF, lmfao. I want to become a Sunbro too.

In the end, I blame Bamco. Boo.

No, just Red (player) Phantoms.

Edit: should be noted that I'm always human, for aesthetic reasons.

12 human invasions? Not counting NPC'S? Wow, I have had 1 invasion in nearly 2 complete playthroughs of ng. You're experience seems to be an outlier since most people report few if any.

schragnasher

Neo Member
As a blue brother I really wish there were more invasions. Only been summoned twice and I always wear the ring. And IV never found a guilty to invade.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when do I get some dark spells? because these soul spear derivatives look boring as shit, its demons souls all over again :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, they hooked me up with a Black Armour Edition code as compensation for the trouble. Seems the files were still there in the Steam folder too so no re-downloading. Fuck. Yes. Here we fucking go.

I meant that I did that in DkS and that it's not something you can do in DkS2 because of SM. Ruins dedicated sunbros too.

ah, missed the distinction. Sorry.

And you're correct. SM is just so unavoidable. It's a good idea in theory, but basically 'punishes' you for playing the game.

Durante

12 human invasions? Not counting NPC'S? Wow, I have had 1 invasion in nearly 2 complete playthroughs of ng. You're experience seems to be an outlier since most people report few if any.
Well, I should also note that I'm playing coop basically all the time, and am already on >50 hours in NG. Maybe being in coop encourages invasions?

And I also haven't encountered any of the latency issues people talk about. Maybe I just have a good connection to the server :p

Newboi

I'm at level 67 I believe and I seem to get invaded everytime I venture back to Heide's Tower of Flame.

Anyway, I need some advice from the vets here for PvE. I'm currently doing a strength build, but (I currently have 30 STR and 12 DEX). The weapons I'm mainly using are a Bastard Sword + 3 and a Greatsword +1. I just beat the Three Sentry's in the Lost Bastille. My damage output currently isn't high enough to justify the slower swing speeds of these two weapons, nor do they seem to do enough damage to poise to cause stuns. What are good weapons for a strength build that have a right balance of DMG+Stun? Also, is better to focus on using magic to fortify the strength of you weapon? I started off as a Mage, so I have 16 MAG right now.

I'm just not seeing the benefit of using greatswords or ultra greatswords currently even as a strength build. The swing arc of the Bastard sword is good for catching people who like to roll in PvP, but the swing speed is too low to capitalize as I don't really stun or knock down anyone in PvE or PvP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
where do I find gedosado, wanted to see if my computer can handle it

SoundLad

Has anyone attempted using the Delicate String ring that boosts frequency of invasions (according to the tooltip)? Any consensus if it makes a difference?

-MD-

Finally got to Belfry Luna and got my first invasion almost immediately, by 2 people at once.

Killed them both even with one of those little dwarfs on me. Good try fellas.

Elixist

alot of the environments and enemy monsters arent that great compared to souls 1, but I just beat the
frog
easy fight, but it was amazing i loved the feeling when you missed the "meat" and hit the rubber. That whole area is awesome and pretty, i actually used the torch to help me see death ledges. wish more of the earlier stuff was like it.

Ruuppa

I'm at level 67 I believe and I seem to get invaded everytime I venture back to Heide's Tower of Flame.

Anyway, I need some advice from the vets here for PvE. I'm currently doing a strength build, but (I currently have 30 STR and 12 DEX). I weapons I'm mainly using are a Bastard Sword + 3 and a Greatsword +1. I just beat the Three Sentry's in the Lost Bastille. My damage output currently isn't high enough to justify the slower swing speeds of these two weapons, nor do they seem to do enough damage to poise to cause stuns. What are good weapons for a strength build that have a right balance of DMG+Stun? Also, is better to focus on using magic to fortify the strength of you weapon? I started off as a Mage, so I have 16 MAG right now.

I'm just not seeing the benefit of using greatswords or ultra greatswords currently even as a strength build. the swing arc of the Bastard sword is got for catching people who like to roll in PvP, but the swing speed is too low to capitalize as I don't really stun or knock down anyone in PvE or PvP.

How's the durability on those things? I have a friend who uses U.Greatswords, and he has to carry 3 to even get from Bonfire to Bonfire.

Good Greatswords/U.Greatswords that I've noticed: Mastodon Greatsword, Murakumo.

Has anyone attempted using the Delicate String ring that boosts frequency of invasions (according to the tooltip)? Any consensus if it makes a difference?

Little to no effect. I have gotten only one invasion while wearing it, and I tested for ~4 hours at SM 1mil.

Forkball

Oh sweet lord I'm done with spider town. Nothing was fun about that place. I also found the rat king covenant, which is pretty funny. So do you just wait for people to come into your world? I got one after a few minutes, RIP that guy. I also brought my mace and ultra greatsword up to +10, this is the highest they can go correct?

Elixist

I've been rollin Greatsword+10 two handed 60 strength and u hit like a truck, but ya the shit breaks yo so i switch to my large club and r2 some medium size mobs on they ass. There is also rings that can make your equipment degrade slower if your into that.

Sullichin

Anyway, I need some advice from the vets here for PvE. I'm currently doing a strength build, but (I currently have 30 STR and 12 DEX). I weapons I'm mainly using are a Bastard Sword + 3 and a Greatsword +1. I just beat the Three Sentry's in the Lost Bastille. My damage output currently isn't high enough to justify the slower swing speeds of these two weapons, nor do they seem to do enough damage to poise to cause stuns. What are good weapons for a strength build that have a right balance of DMG+Stun? Also, is better to focus on using magic to fortify the strength of you weapon? I started off as a Mage, so I have 16 MAG right now.

I'm just not seeing the benefit of using greatswords or ultra greatswords currently even as a strength build. the swing arc of the Bastard sword is got for catching people who like to roll in PvP, but the swing speed is too low to capitalize as I don't really stun or knock down anyone in PvE or PvP.

My favorite STR weapons:
Lion Greataxe
Grym Great Hammer
Large Club / Great Club
Mastadon Greatsword

Zia

Soul lvl doesn't matter from what I know. It's all Soul Memory. You're just handicapping yourself if you keep your SL capped.

So, I'm confused by this. Is there a way to cap Soul Memory, so you don't continue to increase it as you PvP, or am I to assume those with PvP builds will just keep leveling, and the matchmaking pool at that point is broad enough that I won't have to worry about finding players?

Ruuppa

So, I'm confused by this. Is there a way to cap Soul Memory, so you don't continue to increase it as you PvP, or am I to assume those with PvP builds will just keep leveling, and the matchmaking pool at that point is broad enough that I won't have to worry about finding players?

It just keeps growing and growing and growing.. No way to cap or reduce it in anyway, meaning that everytime you die twice in a row, you're getting permanently weaker. Great system!

Well, I should also note that I'm playing coop basically all the time, and am already on >50 hours in NG. Maybe being in coop encourages invasions?

And I also haven't encountered any of the latency issues people talk about. Maybe I just have a good connection to the server :p

Interesting, I do a fair amount of coop, but probably not as much so I don't know if that is a factor for triggering it. I only have 15 hours on this playthrough that is nearly done so that is certainly giving me fewer opportunities.

Could be my Soul Memory, I think I am a little lower than the typical playthrough since I am just rushing through it.

Durante

There is a surprising lack of screenshots in this PC thread. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
I post mine in the PC screenshots thread, so as not to pollute this one. Also, many of my best are of bosses, which could be considered spoilers.

Anyway, enjoy a small selection:
screenshot_2014-05-04wxkjm.jpg
screenshot_2014-05-01ucxp1.jpg
screenshot_2014-05-05ldj2u.jpg
screenshot_2014-05-042sj47.jpg
screenshot_2014-05-03gexv0.jpg
screenshot_2014-05-03njlp8.jpg

Vitor711

Anyway, I need some advice from the vets here for PvE. I'm currently doing a strength build, but (I currently have 30 STR and 12 DEX). The weapons I'm mainly using are a Bastard Sword + 3 and a Greatsword +1. I just beat the Three Sentry's in the Lost Bastille. My damage output currently isn't high enough to justify the slower swing speeds of these two weapons, nor do they seem to do enough damage to poise to cause stuns. What are good weapons for a strength build that have a right balance of DMG+Stun? Also, is better to focus on using magic to fortify the strength of you weapon? I started off as a Mage, so I have 16 MAG right now.

I'm just not seeing the benefit of using greatswords or ultra greatswords currently even as a strength build. The swing arc of the Bastard sword is good for catching people who like to roll in PvP, but the swing speed is too low to capitalize as I don't really stun or knock down anyone in PvE or PvP.

Good weapons but not against the enemies you're facing.

You need strike damage, not slash. Switch to a mace/large club and upgrade those like crazy. Lots of armoured enemies in the game which require a blunt approach. You'll do more damage even though the weapons are weaker.

Also, a +10 large club is possibly the best weapon in the game for your first playthrough. It's fast, stuns and is crazy light/has great durability.

Outside of that a Black Knight Halberd is amazing as a slash weapon as the fire damage is a nice bonus and the reach keeps you far enough that most enemies can't hit you.

I've been rollin Greatsword+10 two handed 60 strength and u hit like a truck, but ya the shit breaks yo so i switch to my large club and r2 some medium size mobs on they ass. There is also rings that can make your equipment degrade slower if your into that.

Those fingers are a must if you roll with a U.Greatsword. I took the ring off and think I got 4 or 5 R2 swings in before it was close to breaking. Just nuts

It just keeps growing and growing and growing.. No way to cap or reduce it in anyway, meaning that everytime you die twice in a row, you're getting permanently weaker. Great system!

hah. Never thought of it like that. Very true.

when do I get some dark spells? because these soul spear derivatives look boring as shit, its demons souls all over again :/
You can get them almost immediately at the start:

Felkin, the hex merchant is sat in a chair facing the wall at the first bonfire in Huntsman's Copse. All you need to do is kill Dragonrider to get access to Licia and move her back to Majula. You need 8 in both FTH and INT for him to speak to you.

Grief.exe

I see why everyone is so frustrated by the Souls Memory mechanic. Just seems so arbitrary, especially when they have intentionally gated certain weapons and spells behind late game content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom