• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

PvP is pretty terrible in this game, straight up. The mechanics are mediocre and the balance is terrible. Giant unpredictable hitboxes for weapons, phantom range all over the place, weapon tracking and player positioning/lock on issues. A lot of core mechanics of combat are really bad.

Not terribly interested in grinding out PvP like I did for DkS1. Gonna take it easy and play it more sparingly and hope things get ironed out until it is more playable.

impact

Banned
PvP is pretty terrible in this game, straight up. The mechanics are mediocre and the balance is terrible. Giant unpredictable hitboxes for weapons, phantom range all over the place, weapon tracking and player positioning/lock on issues. A lot of core mechanics of combat are really bad.

Not terribly interested in grinding out PvP like I did for DkS1. Gonna take it easy and play it more sparingly and hope things get ironed out until it is more playable.

and they fucked up dead angles

the online is straight booty in DS2

even with P2P netcode DS1 online feels so much better

I can't believe you people are saying PVP in DS1 was better than DS2. What the fuck? That was some of the most broken shit in videogames, especially pre-patch (where I'm assuming DS2 is right now). NG+ PVP has been great for me (Sunlight Blade Katana power stance) aside from the very few hackers I've run across, as well as people just hiding god knows where as chameleons until you time out as the invader. I do however wish there were full eye orbs for the major pvp covenants.

I'm having a blast in DkS2 PVP, zero problems with it, and it's also so much more varied than PVP in DkS1. I don't understand the complaints, they look like extreme hyperboles to me.

So about DEX scaling...

I feel that if you want to go with a pure DEX or DEX-oriented weapon (E/B scaling for example) then instead of getting to 40 DEX you should just meet the base requirements to use the weapon, infuse it with Raw, and then drop the Ring of Blades +2 on it as well. If my calculations are correct, this should give you ~40-50 fewer points of damage than a 40 DEX build, but then you'll have 25-30 levels that you can put elsewhere.

As an example of good DEX scaling, let's take a look at the Great Scythe from Dark Souls 1. At the base stats to use the weapon (14 STR/DEX) you would do 305 damage, the base 250 + 55 from scaling at the base stats! At 14 STR and 40 DEX the scaling damage goes up to a whopping 224, bringing you to 474 total damage! That's definitely worth the extra points into DEX.

In Dark Souls 2 the Great Scythe deals 250 base damage and at 16 STR/DEX you gain an additional 42 damage from scaling. Not terrible, a bit lower than the first game but it's still OK. Boost your STR and DEX to 40 and that 42 turns into... 84! So it would be even lower if you only boosted DEX. A grand total of ~80 points gained for a DEX weapon with A scaling and 40 points into DEX is a bit of a joke.

The same goes for Magic (Faintstone) infusions, the amount of bonus damage from having 50 INT is not very high at all compared to say, 18 INT (The amount required to use Crystal Magic Weapon after you have used ten spices on it). I am not certain if Dark, Fire, Lightning or Enchanted suffer from the same inadequacy as I didn't test them.

So in short, you can have a powerful build with low DEX because the scaling is quite poor. Put the points elsewhere and perhaps consider a hybrid build with buffs and magic on the side because you'll do a lot more damage that way.

Edit: Also, not to do with scaling but I'm still finding heaps of PVP and co-op at Soul Memory 7.1 million.

I'm having a blast in DkS2 PVP, zero problems with it, and it's also so much more varied than PVP in DkS1. I don't understand the complaints, they look like extreme hyperboles to me.

You're talking about hyperbole and have "I don't understand the complaints". I can't exactly take that seriously with all the evidence present. Type Dark Souls 2 lag into google and read the threads and watch the videos. They are issues and are present. And DS2 has broken spells/weapons and systems. There's already an infamous glitch people are exploiting. Is it still fun? Yes, when you find a good fight. But when life or death for you depends on being hit by a magical ghost sword, it isn't quite as fun for others as you'd think. You're welcome to defend it, but there are clear issues with it.

ugoo18

Nope, Smelter Sword only goes to +5 and caps out at 330. It does do a hefty amount of Fire damage though, so YMMV.

Yeah you're right about it's cap of 330

Are you using a regular Zweihander?

At +10 says it's doing 260 rather than 350?

Closest it gets to 350 is at +15 with 325.

You're talking about hyperbole and have "I don't understand the complaints". I can't exactly take that seriously with all the evidence present. Type Dark Souls 2 lag into google and read the threads and watch the videos. They are issues and are present. And DS2 has broken spells/weapons and systems. There's already an infamous glitch people are exploiting. Is it still fun? Yes, when you find a good fight. But when life or death for you depends on being hit by a magical ghost sword, it isn't quite as fun for others as you'd think. You're welcome to defend it, but there are clear issues with it.

No one is denying there being lag. However, DS1 was at least on par when it comes to that. AT LEAST. Clearly, there are still major issues with this game's netcode, and I really do wish From knew what the fuck they were doing when it comes to that so it would actually get fixed in subsequent entries, but people saying this game is a lot worse than DS1 are just blowing my mind. This game is a lot better when it comes to pvp, and not just because the matchmaking actually works.

Anyway, I've found that if there is any chance the other player might have been in range of you lately, you should probably just roll instead of assuming he's not going to hit you. Obviously not an optimal solution to the problem, but at least it works and wins me fights.

What's up with the jump attack? I can't consistenly do it, sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't, any tips on how to do it right or is it just a game bug? I'm using a 360 controller.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
beat no mans wharf on my sorc, it was really easy knowing everything beforehand. I forgot to pop a effigy for the boss (im doing all the bosses coop for the least hassle possible on this second run), but I still 1 shot the boss, it was really easy as a sorc. bought all the spells from the dude too. off to bastille I guess

krakov

No one is denying there being lag. However, DS1 was at least on par when it comes to that. AT LEAST. Clearly, there are still major issues with this game's netcode, and I really do wish From knew what the fuck they were doing when it comes to that so it would actually get fixed in subsequent entries, but people saying this game is a lot worse than DS1 are just blowing my mind. This game is a lot better when it comes to pvp, and not just because the matchmaking actually works.

Anyway, I've found that if there is any chance the other player might have been in range of you lately, you should probably just roll instead of assuming he's not going to hit you. Obviously not an optimal solution to the problem, but at least it works and wins me fights.

DS1 lag is not bad at all, never has been. Anyone who claims it to be could meet me up in game and we'll have a look at it. Feels extremely tight compared to DS2.

54-46!

So, does the Rat K
ing covenant have NPCs?
when I was
summoned as a gray spirit
the guy didn't do anything, I could just kill all the rats he sent after me and then go after him, I think he only really swung his sword once.

So, does the Rat K
ing covenant have NPCs?
when I was
summoned as a gray spirit
the guy didn't do anything, I could just kill all the rats he sent after me and then go after him, I think he only really swung his sword once.

It shouldn't. Maybe the guy wasn't really expecting you to put up a fight, or he was doing something else irl

Heman

I have now beaten this game with a caster and a melee character. Killed all bosses except darklurker and overall this game is good. I like the ease of getting the boss weapons this time around. There are also more of them .
Melee is just plain more fun than casting though. It feels like all casting is is different coloured fireballs. The ones that aren't fireballs are either pitifully weak or take too long to cast ( I had 35 attunement ).

One particular nitpick : this is very minor but it grated on me enough that I want to talk about it . In the dual weild move set for the black knight greatsword the guy swings once and goes into this pose where it looks like he will thrust. But the next atk is a completely janky swing still. It feels so unsatisfying seeing him raise his sword to thrust and just cutting to a swing .

To be honest I feel that melee fighting is more fun, but miracles/magic is more effective and makes the game and PvP easier. I've only been killed by one dude in PvP who was pure melee. And that's because he kept exploiting the lag of the game and dual wielding two big weapons with thrust. So of course he'd do thrust, thrust. thrust. thrust. and the ghost weapon would hit me if I didn't perfect the timing.

Is there any word about why even have the Souls Memory mechanic? Everything else is so streamlined - switching covenants, pvp connectivity - and on top of that they put a DUMB arbitrary limiting mechanic.

Why?

Shinjica

Is there any word about why even have the Souls Memory mechanic? Everything else is so streamlined - switching covenants, pvp connectivity - and on top of that they put a DUMB arbitrary limiting mechanic.

Why?

So kids those days wont be invaded so much like in the previous games.

maomaoIYP

What's up with the jump attack? I can't consistenly do it, sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't, any tips on how to do it right or is it just a game bug? I'm using a 360 controller.

You can only input the command when your character is in cancellable frames, and your LS needs to start from neutral position.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
FUCK! destroyed a chest that was behind a illusionary wall right after the ruin sentinels :(

Durante

You know, Soul Memory sounded dumb when I first heard about it, but from my game experience so far (50+ hours now) it actually seems to work out well.

It hasn't stopped or interfered with my co-op'ing at all, invasions happen from time to time (not so often that it becomes commonplace, but also not so rarely as to not be a constant threat) and invaders seem generally far more closely matched in level/equipment than they were in DS1.

No one is denying there being lag.
Well, I haven't seen any, really.

maomaoIYP

What are cancellable frames? I tried a lot of times starting from standing still position and it wouldn't work most of the time.

You need to be hitting up on the LS and RT/RB at the exact same time.
For cancellable frames a general rule is that you can roll out of it. For example you can roll out of your melee animation in the final few frames before you return to neutral stance.
This also applies to the guard break move.
Try this exercise, equip a fast swinging weapon. Do swings with your RB, and try to input the guard break input before the animation has finished. If you inputted it too quick a melee swing will come out. Adjust input speed accordingly to get a guard break attack "combo-ed" from a normal melee swing.

Why?

Soul memory is only there to stop low level ganking builds. Can't rush the best equipment and not level up purely for invading lower levels now. Soul memory isn't even used in NG+ from what I read.

You need to be hitting up on the LS and RT/RB at the exact same time.
For cancellable frames a general rule is that you can roll out of it. For example you can roll out of your melee animation in the final few frames before you return to neutral stance.
This also applies to the guard break move.
Try this exercise, equip a fast swinging weapon. Do swings with your RB, and try to input the guard break input before the animation has finished. If you inputted it too quick a melee swing will come out. Adjust input speed accordingly to get a guard break attack "combo-ed" from a normal melee swing.

Thanks a lot will try that exercise.

Rhaknar

I destroyed that one on my first run as well. I think many people destroyed it. Luckily there are just some consumables there.

stupid blowy guy inside :(

its crazy, besides that one, I just found another path in bastille I missed on my first char, that lead to a room with THREE iron chests, each with a weapon

also how come mcduff doesnt talk to me for upgrades, is that only after the ember? I know its for infusion bt I thought he was a vendor even before that

Ruuppa

stupid blowy guy inside :(

its crazy, besides that one, I just found another path in bastille I missed on my first char, that lead to a room with THREE iron chests, each with a weapon

also how come mcduff doesnt talk to me for upgrades, is that only after the ember? I know its for infusion bt I thought he was a vendor even before that

You also need to light the torch in his room after/before giving him the ember.

Rhaknar

You also need to light the torch in his room after/before giving him the ember.

i did that to open the chest hes sitting on. another thing i noticed,, when you come to the bastille via no mans wharf, and you get on the lift, theres a opening with a item on a body shortly after the lift starts going up, how do you get that?

Vaporak

Why?

It prevents twinks invading lower level characters, which was a pretty gigantic flaw in the last game's PvP.

Jintor

i did that to open the chest hes sitting on. another thing i noticed,, when you come to the bastille via no mans wharf, and you get on the lift, theres a opening with a item on a body shortly after the lift starts going up, how do you get that?

Roll off the lift's roof at the right time when you're going down

Rhaknar

Roll off the lift's roof at the right time when you're going down

ah ok. also lol at losing my first big chunk of souls on this char, 13k trying to get the item down the shaft in lost bastille (and it was just a stupid bonfire ascetic), fucking sigh... 13k is actually a big chunk early on :/

impact

Banned
It prevents twinks invading lower level characters, which was a pretty gigantic flaw in the last game's PvP.
It also breaks high level PvP which is far more important than low level shit which doesn't even happen in this game since invasions in regular NG are non-existent. There is no reason for Soul Memory. At all.

Maybe, but it also forces you to level up unless you want to be invaded by people with far higher stats than you - basically you have to keep up with the crowd or suffer. It also gimps co-op because as soon as you start doing a lot of co-op, you have to think "uh-oh! Better stop and move on to the next area otherwise I'll be out of range!" again forcing you along the path even if you don't want to.

A German Spy addresses this in one of his recent videos where he's SL12 in the Undead Crypt and shows the kind of people he's summoning for co-op if he were to do so - people in havels and high level spells etc. And of course he gets invaded by such people too - meaning all that has happened is you delay the twink invasions a little.

SM just doesn't work for any playstyle unless your only goal is pure pvp and aim to continue leveling up forever or until you reach 99 in all stats.

Sid

Finished my first playthrough! took me ~37 hours though Vendick,Ancient Dragon and Gargoyles are still left.This was absolutely the best fucking game I've played since Dark Souls,nothing comes close.

I really hate the fucking platforming in these games. Christ.

Oh hey a lower level I could reach if I jumped. Let me just angle it out and j- OH SHIT THE ROLLING MECHANI- AAAAAAAAAAAND I'M DEAD

Fuck the rolling after a jump. It has made me miss so many fucking jumps. Let me choose if I want to roll, ala Zelda.

Ruuppa

With the limited amount of cracked orbs in NG why did they even implement Soul Memory?
Such a dumb system.

Twinks in DaS1 weren't even that great a problem. Sure, in the beginning of the game it was annoying to get OHKO'd by a full Havel with a Lightning weapon, but it balanced itself out after gaining proper levels yourself.

Now the game basically says "Level as much as you want, 99 in everything is everyone's goal! (and you'll get punished for not leveling)" which makes it pointless to even think about character builds in the long game, something I loved in DaS1.

Sid

For the people having trouble with the Royal Rat Authority,just run into him when he's not attacking,he plays like Sif then.

Arjen

Twinks in DaS1 weren't even that great a problem. Sure, in the beginning of the game it was annoying to get OHKO'd by a full Havel with a Lightning weapon, but it balanced itself out after gaining proper levels yourself.

Now the game basically says "Level as much as you want, 99 in everything is everyone's goal! (and you'll get punished for not leveling)" which makes it pointless to even think about character builds in the long game, something I loved in DaS1.

Yep, totally agree, making builds for invading a certain area was really fun, shame that that's not possible anymore.

After 41 hours and SL 140 beat the final boss. Played solo the entire game outside of occasionally putting down my sign and being summoned into other player's worlds for co-op here and there. Final gear was bastard sword, tower shield and vengarl armor. Favorite boss battles were the Pursuer and Smelter Demon. All and all a great ride, going to put it down for a while before either creating a new character or starting NG+.

Feels good man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom