• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I found a falchion that is better than my fire sword and I even upgraded it. For some reason though it does even less dmg to that dude than my firesword. The game really isn't great at explaining stuff. I have a mace in my inventory anyway, so I could upgrade that thing a bit. But still, I feel like I'm barely inflicting any dmg.

If Smelter is too tough, you can come back to him later. There is a shortcut past Smelter for a reason. No shame in skipping for now and cleaning up later when you're better equipped.

Ropaire

Banned
I found a falchion that is better than my fire sword and I even upgraded it. For some reason though it does even less dmg to that dude than my firesword. The game really isn't great at explaining stuff. I have a mace in my inventory anyway, so I could upgrade that thing a bit. But still, I feel like I'm barely inflicting any dmg.

Edit: Sorry, I misread you, didn't see you already switched to Falchion.

Jintor

you're hitting a giant metal thing with a sword. strike weapons are gonna be at least a bit better off

What are your stats? If you're using a falchion you'd want to have decent dex otherwise it will deal very little damage.

Also, the cool thing about Dark Souls 2 when compared to the first game is that, if you don't like where you're going, you can warp out of there and go someplace else. I don't know how many great souls you've collected so far but you need four, so you could just leave and try again when you feel stronger. When I first arrived to the
Harvest Valley
for example, I just couldn't deal easily with the
dark ball throwing guys
so I just got the hell out of there and went to the
Shaded Woods
instead. Long story short, follow the path of least resistance:)

Or you know, just skip him.
Smelter Demon
is optional.

Thrakier

If Smelter is too tough, you can come back to him later. There is a shortcut past Smelter for a reason. No shame in skipping for now and cleaning up later when you're better equipped.

Oh there is? I didn't know that. Where?

Stats: Basically all in the first two and ADP. 1 on dex. Only used fire sword so far.

AngryMoth

Really hope they patch soul memory soon, and least for NG+. I'm considering levelling up beyond 150 since that what most people seem to be doing. I guess a no comprises build would be fun for a bit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Stats: Basically all in the first two and ADP. 1 on dex. Only used fire sword so far.

Instead of going into his door, just keep exploring the huge room you're in. Get to the back end of it and you can proceed through the rest of the level.

This is probably a dumb question, but are your weapons broken? What level are you at?

Abdozer

Anyone know if there's an easier way of getting Human Effigies? I've been stuck on 50% HP for a while now and getting 2-shotted in
Iron Keep
is about to break me.
I read that playing co-op gets you effigies but don't you have to be human to use a white soapstone?

Thrakier

Instead of going into his door, just keep exploring the huge room you're in. Get to the back end of it and you can proceed through the rest of the level.

This is probably a dumb question, but are your weapons broken? What level are you at?

lol, of course not! I may not fully understand all the rpg systems in DSII, but I'm not dumb enough to fight with broken weapons. ;)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone know if there's an easier way of getting Human Effigies? I've been stuck on 50% HP for a while now and getting 2-shotted in
Iron Keep
is about to break me.
I read that playing co-op gets you effigies but don't you have to be human to use a white soapstone?

If you succeed in co-op it turns you human and refreshes spells, estus, health, durability, etc etc. You can use the baby soap stone and turn human pretty easily

Sullichin

Iron Keep
is about to break me.

Beating a boss in co-op will turn actually you human; you don't get the effigy item. You can use the soapstone hollow. I really like how they've incentivized doing so in all the Souls games.

If you just want some quick effigies, consider burning a bonfire ascetic at the first Forest of the Fallen Giants bonfire. You can collect 5 effigies from the chest in the beginning again, and another one by the Heide Knight. The enemies will be in NG+ difficulty (and NG++ when you get to NG+), but using an ascetic at this particular bonfire doesn't reset any bosses and the enemies are still easy. You also only need to deal with them if you want the effigy by the Heide Knight, but it's worth killing him again anyway for a chance at a gear drop.

Mhm, unless you're going for a magic build you definitely want to put points into strength or dexterity. Personally, I went to 40 str as soon as I could, I hadn't even reached 20 in any other stat. That's important because weapon damage scales with those two stats, by how much and with which of the two depending on the weapon.

Not sure if you already knew this basic stuff, I apologize if you did. I certainly didn't when I first played Dark Souls 1 and I had to figure it out the hard way (i.e. by getting my ass kicked).

Iron Keep
is about to break me.

Use the soapstone to help others and stop wasting effigies. You don't even need to help them defeat a boss, killing a few normal enemies is enough for you to be returned to your world as a human.

Ghost23

Ok so the touchpad is working as a mouse but none of my inputs are working. I've tried this program and the x360ce program. I have no idea what to do.

Ok guys I need advice. I was having the time of my life in PvP until I met.. let's call him the douche.

The douche got beaten by me multiple times. Until he realized the best way to fight me is to fucking dodge every attack I do until I give up and get bored. I couldn't hit him because he always dodged and he never attacked. Literally. I couldn't touch him and he was playing the waiting game. Poor sportsmanship, yadda yadda, what's a good strategy for beating people like this? I have a greatsword. I'm considering getting an avelyn for situations like these where it's hard to dodge without getting hit. Any suggestions? As you know greatswords don't have the best moveset to fight people like these. Should I get one of those spears that has the running three spin move?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ok guys I need advice. I was having the time of my life in PvP until I met.. let's call him the douche.

The douche got beaten by me multiple times. Until he realized the best way to fight me is to fucking dodge every attack I do until I give up and get bored. I couldn't hit him because he always dodged and he never attacked. Literally. I couldn't touch him and he was playing the waiting game. Poor sportsmanship, yadda yadda, what's a good strategy for beating people like this? I have a greatsword. I'm considering getting an avelyn for situations like these where it's hard to dodge without getting hit. Any suggestions? As you know greatswords don't have the best moveset to fight people like these. Should I get one of those spears that has the running three spin move?

Immolation, or something from the butterfly gear set. If he keeps dodging and isn't attacking at all, you only need to be near them and then you'll poison/damage them.

Sullichin

There's a gif for this:
tumblr_n3rxeeBfV51svu8h1o1_500.gif

Try out other STR weapons that have horizontal attacks / different move sets. I'm a big fan of the Mastadon Greatsword, Lion Greataxe, and Grym Greathammer.

Immolation, or something from the butterfly gear set. If he keeps dodging and isn't attacking at all, you only need to be near them and then you'll poison/damage them.

That's a pretty good idea. I'm so used to not using AoE spells that I completely removed them from my list. Maybe getting immolation or something similar would be the best since he still stuck near me. But poison would be fantastic since not many folks carry poison moss.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so... he's a douche because after several beatings he adapted to your attack patterns?

Iron Keep
is about to break me.

The dogs in the Lost Bastille can drop Human Effigies.

Persona7

Banned

sounds like his tactics prevailed

Dresden

Greatsword in one hand, a weapon to tag and break poise in the other - something with range or speed (or both), like a katana, estoc, or a whip.

so... he's a douche because after several beatings he adapted to your attack patterns?

No. He's a douche because he would rather wait until the match was over (literally two of the matches we had the timer end). He wasn't attempting to win by catching me off guard. He was attempting to win until I got bored. When like 5-10 minutes pass of this guy dodging and not even attempting to attack whatsoever, that's not adapting to my playstyle. That's him being boring. I would literally stand still and look at my menu for minutes at a time and he'd just stand still and look at me. He could've used that chance to cast spells but he just stared at me, obviously enjoying the fact I was getting bored. He wasn't in it to win. He was in it to waste my time. It's not like I particularly wanted to battle him, he just seemed to be the only guy I got paired with. I can't emphasize enough that I willingly left openings for him to attack me. To do ANYTHING but dodge the whole match and berate me.

Pretty much my understanding as well.

It's your turn to learn his dodging patterns, Admiral :p

It's not dodging patterns that were the issue. It was invincibility frames. Many times I pretended to strike so he would dodge, and even then when he dodged and I attacked no damage occurred (Even with the sound).

eot

Banned
Iron Keep
is about to break me.

You don't have the ring of binding?

Greatsword in one hand, a weapon to tag and break poise in the other - something with range or speed (or both), like a katana, estoc, or a whip.

How effective is katana in beating people with loads of invincibility frames? Again I doubt I'll fight somebody like this again, but this was more frustrating than the dual avelyn "press trigger to win" folks because at least those the battle ended quickly and I could move on.

Booshka

How effective is katana in beating people with loads of invincibility frames? Again I doubt I'll fight somebody like this again, but this was more frustrating than the dual avelyn "press trigger to win" folks because at least those the battle ended quickly and I could move on.

You should buff a Katana and press R1 a lot, make sure to run at them when you press R1 too. There's no amount of Agility that will give you i-frames for phantom range.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I mistakenly joined the awful murderous lot that is Bellbros Covenant, hoping it would bring an end to the invasions. Nope. Then I got called to invade a dude and the other bellbro who invaded dropped a care package, I think? Shitload of stuff on the ground, including 11 effigies. So I got something out of it, at least.

That place is broken as hell :(. Getting invaded by players who are stronger than bosses I've faced so far, kind of like the game doesn't give a single fuck about who invades you there.

You should buff a Katana and press R1 a lot, make sure to run at them when you press R1 too. There's no amount of Agility that will give you i-frames for phantom range.

I might just make a katana and only whoop it out when I meet people like this. I'm sure I have one and I already have a lot of titanite, might as well do that next time I play.

So I mistakenly joined the awful murderous lot that is Bellbros Covenant, hoping it would bring an end to the invasions. Nope. Then I got called to invade a dude and the other bellbro who invaded dropped a care package, I think? Shitload of stuff on the ground, including 11 effigies. So I got something out of it, at least.

Bellbros seem awful until you realize you're gonna need a lot of titanite chunks. And each time you succesfully invade someone, they give you one. Then the hypocrisy for 90% of people who called them assholes comes up haha. Myself included of course.

Dresden

Don't forget to randomly backstep and hit R1. The power of metal folded ten thousand times cleaves through latency to hit them where they least expect it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I might just make a katana and only whoop it out when I meet people like this. I'm sure I have one and I already have a lot of titanite, might as well do that next time I play.

Bellbros seem awful until you realize you're gonna need a lot of titanite chunks. And each time you succesfully invade someone, they give you one. Then the hypocrisy for 90% of people who called them assholes comes up haha. Myself included of course.

I do need chunks, I've got more titanite slabs than chunks, shit's crazy. Is Belltower optional?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, finished
Huntman's Copse
went to the area after that. Since I finished the
ruins boss in Lost Bastille
should I go back there and continue through the area? I know the Blighttown-ish clone area further from where I just finished has another area or two behind it for
A Majula citizen
but I'm not sure if I'm equipped to deal with that bullshit right now.

I saw the ladder leading down to
a sea of green
and NOPE.avi'd.

Grief.exe

So Lucatiel never made it in the boss fog for Smelter Demon, subsequently I beat him by myself on NG+.

I could still see her name outside the fog, think it counted for the quest?

EDIT: I should be fine since I succeeded in her other three summons anyways.

Well, finished
Huntman's Copse
went to the area after that. Since I finished the
ruins boss in Lost Bastille
should I go back there and continue through the area? I know the Blighttown-ish clone area further from where I just finished has another area or two behind it for
A Majula citizen
but I'm not sure if I'm equipped to deal with that bullshit right now.

I saw the ladder leading down to
a sea of green
and NOPE.avi'd.

Just go wherever you want. You are equipped to take on any area.

I do need chunks, I've got more titanite slabs than chunks, shit's crazy. Is Belltower optional?

The Belfrys? Yes completely optional. But everybody steps into them. If you need chunks and you're part of bellbros, just put on the ring and wait in any of the game levels (besides majula). As long as you're not overleveled you should be constantly called into action to the point you'll have 99 problems but a chunk ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom