• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechazawa

Amana sucks shit even with a bow. I didn't die very much, but dying to enemies that you didn't see because they didn't spawn in when you were looking or falling down a pit you can't make the details of sucks. Using the bow in general is also no god damn fun for a whole level. Between the slow draw, the large amount of endurance used up and the consistent cast times on the mages, its just tedious all around.

burgerdog

YES,
Ancient Dragon
is no more!

It wasn't that hard once I figured him out and came up with a proper strategy, still took forever though. Basically what I did was
approaching him knowing in advance which way I would escape from his fire breath without falling off the arena or hitting a wall, waiting for him to initiate his fire breath on the spot/fire breath airborne animation and reacting accordingly (which means I'd flee if he was about to start his aoe attack or I'd get three hit on his front paw otherwise), slowly backstepping from him and, as soon as I would hear the sound of his wings preparing to propel him into the air, getting the fuck out of there in the direction I had already planned. Repeat till he's toast. Not sure if that's the easiest way but it got the job done. Still a bullshit fight though imo.

They could have just made it optional, meaning a "remove enemies from the area" option would appear at a bonfire when they have been defeated a set number a times.

I don't think it's a bullshit fight. He's probably one of the easiest bosses once you know what you're doing. You could pretty much control his move set. It's a fantastic fight unlike any other in DS2.

Nabs

Oh snap. I forgot to drop off my remaining Smooth and Silky Stones. I had 40+ of 'em, and now I have a million upgrade stones. Thanks!

You could pretty much control his move set.
I honestly didn't get that impression at all. How would you do that? Whether he'd do
his airborne fire attack or the one on the ground, for instance, seemed totally random to me. He seemed to alternate between the two but about 10% of the times he would just do the same two fire attacks in a row, or even three times in a row, for no discernible reason. Even at the beginning of the fight, I would always do the same thing, which is running towards him, and while most often than not he did his normal fire attack, a few times he just flew into the air and did his aoe attack. At a point, I tried standing under him, hoping he would just try stomping me without switching to the fire attacks, but that too only worked for a little while, he was soon back to spamming fire into the air, and I certainly didn't move from under his belly.

Especially since Kalameet was such a perfect fight in Dark Souls 1.
Kalameet was brilliant! I only tried fighting him a couple of times before asking Gough for help, but I'd say the
Ancient Dragon
fight is actually not too dissimilar from the full-strength Kalameet fight? Same devastating aoe attack.

Despera

Banned
Amana sucks shit even with a bow. I didn't die very much, but dying to enemies that you didn't see because they didn't spawn in when you were looking or falling down a pit you can't make the details of sucks. Using the bow in general is also no god damn fun for a whole level. Between the slow draw, the large amount of endurance used up and the consistent cast times on the mages, its just tedious all around.
It was a challenge alright, but all you need is a shield with high magic defense and patience.

And even after going through different locations I still can't make use of the cracked blue eye orbs :(

One question to you guys, what is a good place to put down my summon sign at SM 3191847? I just reached Dragon Aerie on NG and want to farm tokens of fidelity.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I fought some fool dual wielding ultra greatswords last night which just looked awesome.

I've been doing that for most of the game and it is awesome.

darksoulsii_2014_05_03_17_30_50_722_by_aloo81-d7h0gpa.jpg

I'm going through the Shrine of Amana. Those sorcery guys are making me want to die, I know there was a merchant that sold magic arrows but I can't remember where he was.

Any help?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the
warlock mask
a 100% drop from the npc invader in
huntsman copse
? I got it on my tank character, if it doesnt drop for my sorc im throwing the mother of all hissy fits I sware to god >_<

Booshka

It was a challenge alright, but all you need is a shield with high magic defense and patience.

And even after going through different locations I still can't make use of the cracked blue eye orbs :(

One question to you guys, what is a good place to put down my summon sign at SM 3191847? I just reached Dragon Aerie on NG and want to farm tokens of fidelity.
At that SM you should probably just NG+ for co op. But, the
King's Gate Bonfire in Drangleic Castle
leads to the final boss in the game, so you should get a lot of action there.
Velstadt is another good one too, and Dragon Aerie can not be co oped without a small white stone, and the next area is an optional boss, so that is very rarely full white stone summons too.

I'm going through the Shrine of Amana. Those sorcery guys are making me want to die, I know there was a merchant that sold magic arrows but I can't remember where he was.

Any help?
Chancellor wellager in Drangleic Castle sells a lot of elemental arrows and bolts, Ornifex sells, fire, Gavlan sells Poison, Agdayne sells Dark, McDuff sells Iron Arrows

So i was in that dragon castle place, and there was a switch on a wall with about a million messages sayign "pull back" and "dont you dare!". So naturally i pulled it. On a scale of 1 to fucked, how dead am i?

Jintor

So i was in that dragon castle place, and there was a switch on a wall with about a million messages sayign "pull back" and "dont you dare!". So naturally i pulled it. On a scale of 1 to fucked, how dead am i?

about a 4, and you miss out on a questline.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Bad choice! Hope you don't make the same mistake in NG+!

about a 4, and you miss out on a questline.

aw :( Oh well..gives me an excuse to NG+ :D Ive really been enjoying this now for the last few hours. Game gets so much better. Did a laod of sunbroing to help people with that aegis boss. I ende dup summonign help for him myself, he was tough, and i know i couldve beaten him in the end on my own but just wanted to get him over with. Good fight overall tho. Also, whats the deal with the
giant, undead dude
just walking around near the king ring area? I attacked him and nothing happened

aw :( Oh well..gives me an excuse to NG+ :D Ive really been enjoying this now for the last few hours. Game gets so much better. Did a laod of sunbroing to help people with that aegis boss. I ende dup summonign help for him myself, he was tough, and i know i couldve beaten him in the end on my own but just wanted to get him over with. Good fight overall tho. Also, whats the deal with the
giant, undead dude
just walking around near the king ring area? I attacked him and nothing happened
You'll be able to fight him later on if you want. And by the way, and I don't think that's a spoiler for you that far into the game, he is in fact
Vendrick, the king of Drangleic. The crown on his head should kind of give that away:p

Despera

Banned
At that SM you should probably just NG+ for co op. But, the
King's Gate Bonfire in Drangleic Castle
leads to the final boss in the game, so you should get a lot of action there.
Velstadt is another good one too, and Dragon Aerie can not be co oped without a small white stone, and the next area is an optional boss, so that is very rarely full white stone summons too.
Okay I'll try Velstadt.

I pulled the lever after completing that area... Does it do anything other than
free that one NPC? I killed him since he sounded like he was about to murder someone...

HoosTrax

There are a bunch of blue crystal lizards in Dragon Aerie. I don't recall their exact loot tables, but they drop a healthy mix of various types of upgrade materials. Might be worthwhile to spend some ascetics there.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Okay I'll try Velstadt.

I pulled the lever after completing that area... Does it do anything other than
free that one NPC? I killed him since he sounded like he was about to murder someone...

They were going to kill someone.

YOU

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Expected, just wanted to know. Also are Bonfire Ascetics useful outside of making people more powerful? I ask because I haven't used any and I have a bunch in my inventory.

Some bosses drop unique stuff on NG+'s, and also if you've despawned an enemy it will bring them back. On top of that, mostly all of the chests and stuff refresh and some are updated with new stuff.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Outside of PvP zones, I've only been invaded a few times and it seems like more often than not it's a cheater. I was invaded in FoFG by a guy roleplaying Smelter Demon, I think his name was Arthurus or something like that, and he couldn't be damaged. A few days ago I was invaded in Doors of Pharros (or maybe I was summoned) but the guy was practically teleporting around and he also took no damage from attacks.

I'm feeling very comfortable with my character at this point, so I'd almost like to be invaded by a real player and see if I'm any good against them.

On a side note, Shrine of Amana is rough.

Thrakier

So smelter is still wrecking me. I'm doing almost no dmg to him. Like....15 to 30. I don't know what to do. I don't have any better weapons on me nor can I buy them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Too bad then lol.

Guess that means I'm not missing out on much.

If you don't free them you get access to a few unique miracles and pyromancies through a quest they offer. I'm bummed out because it's stopping me from getting my final pyromancy for the achievement.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So smelter is still wrecking me. I'm doing almost no dmg to him. Like....15 to 30. I don't know what to do. I don't have any better weapons on me nor can I buy them.

Weapons are relatively inexpensive and you can buy unlimited shards at this point, right? At worst you could buy a mace and upgrade it some. It will be vastly more effective than your fire sword against the fire demon. (And useful long after that as well.)

Why do you feel like you're stuck in your situation?

Thrakier

Weapons are relatively inexpensive and you can buy unlimited shards at this point, right? At worst you could buy a mace and upgrade it some. It will be vastly more effective than your fire sword against the fire demon. (And useful long after that as well.)

Why do you feel like you're stuck in your situation?

I found a falchion that is better than my fire sword and I even upgraded it. For some reason though it does even less dmg to that dude than my firesword. The game really isn't great at explaining stuff. I have a mace in my inventory anyway, so I could upgrade that thing a bit. But still, I feel like I'm barely inflicting any dmg.

Fortunately wasn't stuck in the deep gulch for long, defeated the boss on my third try and always ran through the damn place as fast as I could.

I found a falchion that is better than my fire sword and I even upgraded it. For some reason though it does even less dmg to that dude than my firesword. The game really isn't great at explaining stuff. I have a mace in my inventory anyway, so I could upgrade that thing a bit. But still, I feel like I'm barely inflicting any dmg.

Magic seems to be the best bet. I use a mace and damage wasn't great. For this one I really had to rely on co-op partners with powerful spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom