• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

Get some range options then. Bows, crossbows and items are really good in this game.

Right? Everyone keeps talking about how tough this area is and it was a cakewalk for me and my bow. Come on, guys, this is dark souls. If you're playing melee make sure you carry a nice ranged weapon with iron/fire/poison arrows.

Oh wow, I've swapped from doing scimitar shield to scimitar/falcon duel wielding and my average PvP winnings has gone through the roof. If I knew I would take to this play style this quick I would have gone duel wielding sooner. Anyone got any recommendations for good duel wielding weapons? I'm trying to keep it fairly lightweight as possible.

JackelZXA

I can't believe i forgot to take the Butterfly Leggings off before talking to the dark covenant guy again. There goes that sidequest I was nearly finished with.

You really don't get much for selling items, but if you really want to Gavlan buys your items.

He appears in Wharf > Harvest > and finally stays in Pharros.

You can get a ton of souls by selling everything on you though. You might ruin your ability to adapt to secret bosses though so dont go crazy selling for levels until you're sure you know what you won't use. Selling lower levels of a ring is alright because they nearly replace them (Unless you're doing a really bizarre weight twink)

I still dont understand the ending.

I got about 3 hours in and restarted to switch my class from the swordguy (dualwielder, low health) to the knight or something and my enjoyment of the game has improved SO MUCH.

I was just getting destroyed by enemies and doing shit damage to them in return. The guy I'm rolling with now has high health, dexterity, and strength and is just destroying guys. In the same amount of time as I played that other class I got all the way to the
Last Giant
boss and beat him on my first try.

I'm honestly thankful because with that first class I went with I felt like the game was a serious downgrade to the first game. I just wasn't having any fun with it and was even considering quitting all together.

AkuMifune

Banned
You really don't get much for selling items, but if you really want to Gavlan buys your items.

He appears in Wharf > Harvest > and finally stays in Pharros.

Worth it for cleaning out the inventory alone though.

Guess you could stash things for future use, but where's the recklessness in that?

Gbraga

Right? Everyone keeps talking about how tough this area is and it was a cakewalk for me and my bow. Come on, guys, this is dark souls. If you're playing melee make sure you carry a nice ranged weapon with iron/fire/poison arrows.

To be fair I never used them on the first game either, but you have to adapt. They didn't buff bows for nothing. I only bought homeward bones in the first game, but early on in Dark Souls II I bought throwing knives, lifegems, firebombs and all that stuff, they were pretty good for early game, and once I got my bow going, I always buy tons of arrows and still buy lifegems. You get so many souls in this game you won't miss them.

999 Arrows and 999 Poison Arrows ftw.

Desaan

Great Resonant Soul is ridiculous. Has it been nerfed yet? Can I request a nerf? lol.

That speedrun a couple pages back made me sick.

All the hexes are full retard. Never go full retard.

Run into boss room, cast GRS and Climax, boss dies. Needs nothing other than souls, no skill required here.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I got about 3 hours in and restarted to switch my class from the swordguy (dualwielder, low health) to the knight or something and my enjoyment of the game has improved SO MUCH.

I was just getting destroyed by enemies and doing shit damage to them in return. The guy I'm rolling with now has high health, dexterity, and strength and is just destroying guys. In the same amount of time as I played that other class I got all the way to the
Last Giant
boss and beat him on my first try.

I'm honestly thankful because with that first class I went with I felt like the game was a serious downgrade to the first game. I just wasn't having any fun with it and was even considering quitting all together.

Dual wielding really doesn't seem viable to me. You do more damage 2 handing a single weapon. Looks cool though.

ElFly

Most of the time? I wasn't able to 1-shot the mages, and the one on the right was impossible to attack without aggroing the melee guys. If I tried to get two hits in those assholes would tag me before I could dodge. Trying to run away from them with mage aggro was hopeless too. The way I got through it was to use a glitch where if I did an R2 that knocks the mages down they don't get up again (even though they didn't die). Then I used the same R2 to pancake the melee assholes.

I don't think one shotting them is necessary.

When I got there they died in three swings of my dual swords. Which, well, took all my stamina, so maybe that's what you mean by one shotting.

z1ggy

As a Knight, i always have with me arrows/daggers/knifes with poison. They are a great help.

I love to infuse everything with poison, also.

Has anyone had performance problems on crossfire setups?
I keep getting weird graphical artifacts and tearing issues. Using a single card for now.

Sullichin

Not focused at all today, but still: on NG++, huntsman's copse is kicking my ass. The run with the romena invasion has killed me a few times and the skeleton lords of all bosses got me like 4 or 5 times, even with summons. It's weird because that boss never killed me before. Bad day I suppose.

That FUCKING run to Executioner's Chariot. The BP enemies are way too hard to pull one by one. I just run past them. It's possible, you'll barely make it and probably get clipped on the way in. But it's really easy to heal as soon as you go through the fog. Not worth killing those enemies imo.

Also, in that boss fight in NG, I can easily beat it by ignoring/dodging the skeletons, chugging estus liberally, and wailing on the horse. This is much harder in NG+ and I had an easier time just taking it slowly and killing the skeletons/necromancers first.

Zeliard

Dual wielding really doesn't seem viable to me. You do more damage 2 handing a single weapon.

It's perfectly viable. I've gone through the game on both PS3 and PC with dual katanas, and I generally do quite well in PvP with it as well. And no, 2H does not do more damage.

Just don't pick Swordsman if you're a new player; its starting stats are garbage. Go with something like Knight if you want to dual wield.

DinHerio

Banned
Today I played a little after I got home. I'm still NG (67 hours), because I played blind and I want the last possible achievements before going to NG+(+).

First I tried Vendrick again, now with four Souls of a Giant. I got one hitted seconds after I entered the fog. Then I thought "yeah well, grab the fifth Giant Soul first then."

I arrived at Dragon Shrine. Two times I died on the way to the Ancient Dragon and then I got invaded & InstaKilled like 10 meters from the fog door away.

I hated it. This shit game.

What could I do else
(, instead of learning for history exam)
?

I decided to do the one Covenant sidequest. I entered the first dungeon, only to fall into the water seconds after.

After that waste of Human Effigy, I went back to Majula and gazed for maybe 10 minutes emotionless on the screen before I closed the game.

It's not my day at all, heh...

But:
Even if I die 500 times in a row, I won't change my dragon skin and I won't use filthy magic, pyromancy, miracles nor hexes.

Not PVP, not PVE.

The
memories
are terrifiying, holy shit, how much time do I have to complete them? killing the
giants
takes a lot of time and I can't seem to be able to run past them.

Haunted

Dual wielding really doesn't seem viable to me. You do more damage 2 handing a single weapon. Looks cool though.
all about that power stance

curved swords + power stance = beautiful dance of death

Like the Painting Guardian Sword in DS1, but this time you actually do damage.

Today I played a little after I got home. I'm still NG (67 hours), because I played blind and I want the last possible achievements before going to NG+(+).
If you need that fifth soul of a giant but the Ancient Dragon is too daunting, consider burning a bonfire ascetic in the first Black Gulch bonfire, it'll make the giants in the bottom drop another soul of a giant.

That said, Vendrick will still do just as much dmg as before, but die quicker. It's all about the rolling against him, try to stay under 50% equip load and don't bother using a shield (his attacks are unblockable).

Late game optional boss:
Darklurker
is kicking my ass.
The worst part is having to waste an effigy and fight the phantoms just to get to the fight.

eot

Banned
I've seen the black knight halberd gif posted a few times in DkS2 threads and I just want to mention that I did the same thing on a boss repeatedly. (lategame)
The fatty in Throne of Want, if I did a leap attack his first swing would consistently go over my head and I could easily dodge the second. Hitboxes are fine IMO.

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm i seem to be stuck

i just finished brighstone cove tseldora which was the last available place remaining at least in my area list

i've got 5 fires on the mansion basement and the furthest i've gotten is the black gulch, killed the big boss there too.

hints?

I just spent half an hour grinding lower brightstone for a bat staff from those hollow mages. Didn't get it even after using a ascetic.

I don't know why From introduced that enemy despawn mechanic despite rare drops still being a thing.

True, but after 60 hours this is the first time I've ever hit a part I couldn't tank through with ease, so I was taken aback. Got no dex, my pyro can't hit anybody that far, my bows hit with the force of a spitwad.. hey what can I say, I'm unprepared. Sniping these guys with my wimpy bow while they both snipe me is even more annoying that meleeing through it. Which I eventually did. Hopefully this is the only part of the game where I'll feel like I need range. God help me if I reach a part as annoying as those archers in Anor Londo...

Arjen

hmm i seem to be stuck

i just finished brighstone cove tseldora which was the last available place remaining at least in my area list

i've got 5 fires on the mansion basement and the furthest i've gotten is the black gulch, killed the big boss there too.

hints?

Try exploring the forked road.

I just spent half an hour grinding lower brightstone for a bat staff from those hollow mages. Didn't get it even after using a ascetic.

I don't know why From introduced enemy despawn mechanic occurring despite rare drops still being a thing.

The enemy despawn thing was just all around a bad idea. I doubt it makes it in to the next game.

Booshka

I don't know why From introduced that enemy despawn mechanic despite rare drops still being a thing.

For that insta poison Dark Fog? Such BM.

i don't mind the despawn stuff but it sucks for the dark spirits who only appeared once per playthrough.

I have two issues with it overall:

1) Practicality. I sometimes need to farm items like titanite chunks but eventually I run out of enemies to do it. I sometimes need to farm souls to repair my equipment but the servers are down. I've never heard of anyone breaking Dark Souls by farming the area around a bonfire and even if they did, it wouldn't help them if they didn't get any better at the game. Levels are tertiary behind ability to play the game and being prepared.

2) It doesn't really match the spirit of the games to me. It kind of punts the idea that everything in Dark Souls can kill you. Now it's everything can kill you unless you kill it enough. It's hard getting to the boss door? After enough attempts, it will be a cakewalk! This bonfire has enemies really close by? It's cool, don't worry about being prepared every time you go there, just kill them repeatedly until they stop showing up. It feels like it goes against part of what I liked about it.

I suppose the ascetics "fix" this issue, but I've never had to force the Souls games to play like how I preferred them before.

sixghost

1) Practicality. I sometimes need to farm items like titanite chunks but eventually I run out of enemies to do it. I sometimes need to farm souls to repair my equipment but the servers are down. I've never heard of anyone breaking Dark Souls by farming the area around a bonfire and even if they did, it wouldn't help them if they didn't get any better at the game. Levels are tertiary behind ability to play the game and being prepared.

2) It doesn't really match the spirit of the games to me. It kind of punts the idea that everything in Dark Souls can kill you. Now it's everything can kill you unless you kill it enough. It's hard getting to the boss door? After enough attempts, it will be a cakewalk! This bonfire has enemies really close by? It's cool, don't worry about being prepared every time you go there, just kill them repeatedly until they stop showing up. It feels like it goes against part of what I liked about it.

I suppose the ascetics "fix" this issue, but I've never had to force the Souls games to play like how I preferred them before.
I don't mind number two, but number one is frustrating. You can't have super rare drops and limited enemy spawns.

Ghost23

Anyone know why my PS4 controller isn't registering on Dark Souls 2? I have ScpServer up and it says my PS4 controller is on.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I just think Bonfire ascetics are the solution to the problem. Doing the same gauntlet when the only thing troubling you is the boss can be a bit tedious after a while.

For example, if enemies didn't despawn, I don't think I'd ever even give the Ancient Dragon an honest attempt because just GETTING there takes a while.

If you need to farm, you're intended to burn a bonfire ascetic if you haven't gotten the drop. It's sort of a risk reward. How important is this drop to you? Important enough to risk facing even tougher enemies to get it? If so, then go for it.

Haunted

Maybe they should've done it the other way around, enemies will keep respawning until you use a bonfire ascetic - then they're gone (for this playthrough).

Would have to make bonfire ascetics more rare than they are now, obviously.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Are you talking Dual widleing or power stancing? Because power stancing will straight up end fools.

Dual wielding without making sure you have the stats to power stance would be really dumb. I mean it's cool and I'm glad they made it better than it was in the previous games, but i've found 2 handing weapons way more effective in PVP and PVE. The animations are sick though and I fought some fool dual wielding ultra greatswords last night which just looked awesome.

Thanks for the advices but if I beat him, I wanna do it by myself, so I guess I'll avoid videos and wikis for now. He's optional anyway, so it's not like I'm stuck there or anything.

Vendrick
was kind of annoying too but at least it gives you some room for error. And yeah, the run to the
Dragon
is cheap as hell too, who the hell though it was a good idea to have a door you have to open every time you die guarded by two knights?:/
YES,
Ancient Dragon
is no more!

It wasn't that hard once I figured him out and came up with a proper strategy, still took forever though. Basically what I did was
approaching him knowing in advance which way I would escape from his fire breath without falling off the arena or hitting a wall, waiting for him to initiate his fire breath on the spot/fire breath airborne animation and reacting accordingly (which means I'd flee if he was about to start his aoe attack or I'd get three hit on his front paw otherwise), slowly backstepping from him and, as soon as I would hear the sound of his wings preparing to propel him into the air, getting the fuck out of there in the direction I had already planned. Repeat till he's toast. Not sure if that's the easiest way but it got the job done. Still a bullshit fight though imo.

Maybe they should've done it the other way around, enemies will keep respawning until you use a bonfire ascetic - then they're gone (for this playthrough).

Would have to make bonfire ascetics more rare than they are now, obviously.
They could have just made it optional, meaning a "remove enemies from the area" option would appear at a bonfire when they have been defeated a set number of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom