• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a cool move with the Pursuer's Sword where I would roll into a thrust. Was going to see if I did anymore damage with the Old Leo Ring.

Now I can't get the move to go off anymore.

I think Leo Ring only adds to counter damage which is the moment an enemy is in the recovery phase of an attack animation.

Have you tried forward roll + r1 for the thrust. Or is it while running and hitting r1? Maybe backstep + r1?

Well, that's fucking bullshit.

Just decided to look at Blacksteel Katana +0 vs. Great Club +10. One has A-scaled DEX while the other has A-scaled STR. Katana had a bonus of 112 vs. the club's 182. I can't tell you how high the A is for the club, but upgrading the katana even once pushes it into S-scaling going off weapon charts. For clarity, I have 50 STR/DEX, giving a bonus of 155.

Seeing as base damage has nothing to do with scaling, you know what this means?

An A for DEX is an F for STR*.
*Exaggerating, but you get the point

If the DEX-based weapon you're using doesn't have innate poison/bleed damage, you may as well throw it away. Most DEX-based weapons deal shit base damage due to their weight and have shit scaling even if it says it doesn't. You could put the STR scaling to use, but if you're gonna do that, why not use an STR-based weapon?

I knew that my Claws +10 couldn't scratch heavily armored players, but knowing why they can't doesn't make me feel much better. Ugh.

Thanks for going through the trouble. The bolded really shows how bad stat scaling is.

I think base damage for weapons might be a bit too high actually. If they lowered unupgraded base damage, scaling would feel like it did more. An unupgraded mace will get you so far in this game. But on top of that they should increase STR scaling slightly and give a more moderate boost to DEX scaling. Then, have weapon buffs scale with stats so that resonant weapon with 50INT/FTH does as much as it would now with any stats. You shouldn't be able to spice down a buff and get the same damage output as someone with like 60 more levels invested in the stats.

Well, in that particular case, it may have to do with stat investments barely doing anything past 50 in the first place. :p From 50 to 99, there's only a +45 boost to bonus and the Vanquisher's Seal gets 75% of STR bonus and 25% of DEX. Besides, at 50 STR/DEX, I'm already dealing a lot of damage with fists only. Seriously, Vanquisher's Seal is nuts and I thought dual Caestus +10 was already good (PvE wise, at least. You may have trouble against heavily-armored players).

While I'm at it, I should mention the Flamberge and Zweihander had C-scaling for DEX, which translated to around 25% from DEX bonus.

Agreed on buffing. Resonant Weapon in particular is ridiculous. Would like it nerfed for anyone that isn't heavily invested in INT/FTH. Not sure I agree on STR scaling needing even a slight boost, but DEX could certainly use one. :p

The dubsteps edits always gets me.

Yeah, they're just so perfect. lol

Holy shit. Guess I should have gone the way of the hex from the beginning.

I still find beating the crap out of people with my bare hands more fun, but yeah, embracing the dark is tempting. And, if you're up against something resistant to dark, you've got a high enough Faith investment to throw a few lightning spears. :p

Maybe when I finally get enough Twinkling Titanite for all my gear and finish NG+.

Tenck

Fifty hours later and I finish Dark Souls 2. New Game+ isn't for me. I can't replay the same game after 50 hours. Props to the people who can though.

This is the end for me, and what a ride it has been. Most fun I've had this year. Dark Souls 2 will definitely be a GotY contender for me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm dying at invading in the Belltower for the Magic.

17 rounds down. Being down and dirty as a Magic casting support.

WHAM *stun* *death*

*Warcry, bow*

Fifty hours later and I finish Dark Souls 2. New Game+ isn't for me. I can't replay the same game after 50 hours. Props to the people who can though.

This is the end for me, and what a ride it has been. Most fun I've had this year. Dark Souls 2 will definitely be a GotY contender for me.

I wasn't planning on replaying the entire thing. I just need want to PvP at this point tbh.

elfinke

Yah I spent 90hr completing NG, spent a bunch of time PvPing then only recently moved into NG+. I'm enjoying the change only because I respecced my character right at the end of NG (from pure melee into a spellcaster), so playing through the game now as that respecced character is like playing a new character all over.

I respecced again last night, removing 5 points each from END and VIG (from 25 each to 20), which I put into INT (60 something) and ADP (22), basically min/maxing the build. I figured those few extra HP points and stamina points made no difference to my survivability, but being able to roll faster, or chug a flask a bit quicker, combined with the bonus extra damage from going all in with INT would help. The whole 'glass cannon' idea, I guess.

Turns out I was right!

Still wanna try a 22-everything-'cept-VIG broken sword/dagger
Santier's...
Mundane build, might be something to try next...

Ha, I had my fill of PvP. Been doing a bunch of Bell covenant PvP. Most fun I've had in multiplayer.

You haven't finished the game until you platinum.
But yeah. I understand, 50 hours was my limit for DS1, but for some reason I keep coming back to DS2 even though I think I liked DS1 better.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow. The hitboxes for magic are flatout broken in PVP.

It's the lag, projectiles are always the worst off when it comes to lag, I'm used to it from playing tons of Chivalry, so many archer arrows that fly past you, a second after the fact, your head is split open.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It's the lag, projectiles are always the worst off when it comes to lag, I'm used to it from playing tons of Chivalry, so many archer arrows that fly past you, a second after the fact, your head is split open.

Wasn't really a problem in DS1.

Garcia

I've seen lightning bolts flying through invaders without them taking any damage or rolling to dodge the attack. It's broken beyond belief, not enjoyable one bit.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Also I find it funny I invaded the same guy twice. And he couldn't handle me alone so he always called for help from his buddy with MLGS. Funny enough I could take either of them by myself, but two people at the same time? Heaven all mighty. I mean sure i'm invading your game.. but it isn't my fault you're a sinner

I think when it comes to non-voluntary invasions, all bets are off.

Honor is appreciated, but should absolutely not be expected.

You're invading their world, they're fighting for their life.

Uh... this game has like, a Havel's Ring equivalent right?

Yes, but significantly nerfed. The combination of 2 separate rings can almost get you the same effect though. However, with Equip Load granting up to 70% before fat roll, it doesn't need to give as much.

so1337

I've been helping people with the Ruin Sentinel fight about 10 times now. Super fun. Casters tend to make short work of those guys.

onionfrog

Did they change the strength bonus when wielding a weapon two handed? In dark souls 1 it was 1.5x strength when two handing.

I started a soul level one run and was shocked when I realized I could use a mace two handed without penalty. (I have 6 str, mace requires 12...).

That's great though, this mace is way better than the trusty hand axe I had been using.

The pursuer fight was tense at soul level one. :p

Grief.exe

....The item in a tree during the
Scorpioness
boss fight is a Flame Butterfly.

I also managed to cut off both of her
stingers
during the fight.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did they change the strength bonus when wielding a weapon two handed? In dark souls 1 it was 1.5x strength when two handing.

I started a soul level one run and was shocked when I realized I could use a mace two handed without penalty. (I have 6 str, mace requires 12...).

That's great though, this mace is way better than the trusty hand axe I had been using.

The pursuer fight was tense at soul level one. :p

It's 2x now.

Grief.exe

That's a lot of blood

aNaor6G.jpg

Last night and tonight has been rough.

Finished off on a positive note though, was able to help 4-5 people kill some bosses, explored a new area (with some deaths) and then defeated a boss myself. Off to bed for now! Here's hoping for some more good stuff tomorrow!

Man call me whatever you want since I've done nothing but invade sinners this past hour, but I've at least got class. A guy I invaded was fighting a red phantom (an actual player) I just stood back and let him finish off the guy. Then I bowed as he healed up and let him put his weapon buff on his katana and then duel began. I managed to beat him by the skin of my teeth considering dat katana ghost hit, but nothing will ever make me feel as good as seeing him do that 'I am not worthy' gesture as I let him heal up.

I don't particularly like Blue Sentinels since duels need to be made with tokens of fidelity. I kinda miss blood bros. But I really want that chaos of the gods. So I guess I'll have to go help with co-op after a few.

TheSeks

I really wish there was a different way of getting these convent magics. I don't really care about the weapon sets, nor do I like invading (yes, I'm a carebear/Sunbro) despite laughing hard like the Mike Jordan .gif in the belltower as a support caster but damn if From has to ruin the "get everything" compelitionists with these. :/

(And I still have to beat the boss there, not looking forward to dodging invasions while trying to get summons to get to the boss. Ugh)

Speaking of which:
Lost Bastille upper floor bonfire
is there no other item that is needed because I
broke the petrification on the naked "give me clothes plz" chick to get her to go to Majula and open the area up for later
, which BTW: Geez at the numbers they throw at you for getting in there.

Gbraga

Am I a horrible person for considering
using the coffin
now that I'm on NG+ just because I'm tired of my haircut?

Booshka

For some reason I love the Llewellyn set.

Edit: I'm reseting my stats again, is good going 40/40 in str/dex? or better focus in just one?

no, it's not. If you are going to use big STR weapons with high STR requirements, then 40 STR is fine. If you are going to use DEX, only take your DEX to the minimum requirements of the weapons you want to use. Dex scaling is terrible, STR scaling is decent.

If you plan on doing pure physical damage with Dex, then go Raw and use Ring of Blades.

Also, try not to go full hollow as you fight minimum requirement elemental infused buff weapons that hit you for double the damage your pure physical damage does.

Grief.exe

NG+ Brightstone Cove spoilers.

I was just looking down into the cove from the upper peasent portion and thinking, we are literally right above the Duke's quarters at this point. Then his dear Freja jumps out and surprises the hell out of me!

Am I a horrible person for considering
using the coffin
now that I'm on NG+ just because I'm tired of my haircut?

Serious question, why would that make you horrible? Doesn't it only change your sex?

I wish the Llewelyn set had just a tiny bit more armor than a fully upgraded Faraam armor. A fully Llewelyn upgraded chest piece has like a 50 or more difference with a fully upgraded faraam chest piece. Considering that I am under 50% with faraam with the soldier's ring +1, I have no need to change to Llewelyn for more movement and being under 30% isn't enough of a difference.

Sure it's a sexier armor, it looks badass with thief's hood.... but the lowering in defense is too drastic for me to consider changing off my Faraam.

Gbraga

I wish the Llewelyn set had just a tiny bit more armor than a fully upgraded Faraam armor. A fully Llewelyn upgraded chest piece has like a 50 or more difference with a fully upgraded faraam chest piece. Considering that I am under 50% with faraam with the soldier's ring +1, I have no need to change to Llewelyn for more movement and being under 30% isn't enough of a difference.

Sure it's a sexier armor, it looks badass with thief's hood.... but the lowering in defense is too drastic for me to consider changing off my Faraam.

Fashion Souls >>> Defense Souls

Fashion Souls >>> Defense Souls

I'm sure the mage in the really fashionable set said that to herself right before I killed her with my DGS with two direct hits.

On another note, I fully upgraded a halberd just in case somebody decides to play against me by dodging the whole time again. Since I can't hit them with my great sword, I'd switch to halberd and YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND

Just be lucky you even got the whole set. I farmed out King's Passage and only got the chest piece to drop... Now I gotta decide if I'm going to Bonfire Ascetic to farm again or just wait until I get there in NG+.

Just be lucky you even got the whole set. I farmed out King's Passage and only got the chest piece to drop... Now I gotta decide if I'm going to Bonfire Ascetic to farm again or just wait until I get there in NG+.

I'd do bonfire ascetic tbh. The
mirror knight
is REALLY easy to dodge and beat. Just make sure you have the rare drop item drop equipment, like the covetous golden serpent ring +1 or the jester's hat. OR BOTH.

Jintor

I'm sure the mage in the really fashionable set said that to herself right before I killed her with my DGS with two direct hits.

On another note, I fully upgraded a halberd just in case somebody decides to play against me by dodging the whole time again. Since I can't hit them with my great sword, I'd switch to halberd and YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND

Any decent mage should be dodging your attacks anyway

I'd do bonfire ascetic tbh. The
mirror knight
is REALLY easy to dodge and beat. Just make sure you have the rare drop item drop equipment, like the covetous golden serpent ring +1 or the jester's hat. OR BOTH.

Got the ring and jester's hat. Does the Jester's drop increase still work if you don't have the Dex to wear it? Doing a hex build so I have no need for 14 dex.

I have the Travelling Merchant Hat which should increase drop rates too, but maybe not rare?

EDIT: Oh, and LGK is even easier to beat when you bring
Benhart in tow
as a mage. Just sit back and cast....

Any decent mage should be dodging your attacks anyway

Any decent mage sure. But most I've fought have grown accustomed to 'press R1' to win with their great soul arrows or their big hex ball thing. They forget somebody can dodge forward and thrust. And now that I have a weapon to combat dodge Mcgees I should be fine and dandy. Until I meet another dual avelyn douche.

TheSeks

Ugh, so yeah: Have to do convents for a few magic spells. You can't buy them in NG+/++/+++...

Stupid, FROM. :/ Really stupid. I got 8 more bell invasions to do and then I guess I have to suffer a few other convents besides going to Sunbro to (easily) co-op and do dungeon spelunking for another to max to get the two respective spells that are rank 3 there.

Grief.exe

Ugh, so yeah: Have to do convents for a few magic spells. You can't buy them in NG+/++/+++...

Stupid, FROM. :/ Really stupid. I got 8 more bell invasions to do and then I guess I have to suffer a few other convents besides going to Sunbro to (easily) co-op and do dungeon spelunking for another to max to get the two respective spells that are rank 3 there.

What spells are those?

lunlunqq

You only need to do the bell bro and sun bro ones. The other two spells can be bought on NG++.

Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg

They aren't too bad to get though. Only Bellbro Rank 2 and Heirs of Sun Rank 3 need to be grinded out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom