• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitor711

lol FROM, putting
hard enemies in the spawming area of NG+
, nice trolling, ahah.

Killed them all fine the first time, then got a BS hitbox issue with the troll's insta-death grab move later on in the area.

Second time I had far less luck against those eagle-carrying a**holes. They hit hard. Nice change of pace. Shame I haven't seen them since.

I love this armor set:
screenshot_2014-05-05ldj2u.jpg

But I had to stop wearing it. I aggro'd an NPC I really didn't want to aggro because I poisoned him by mistake :/

Always reminds me of The Monarch:
1958830-monarch102609.jpg

fwpx

Picked up
Havels
last night. Is it worth upgrading?

Im currently Using the entire
Havels set, his shield
, and the mastodon greatsword +10. Am I making a dumb decision with any of this stuff?

Picked up
Havels

Havels set, his shield
, and the mastodon greatsword +10. Am I making a dumb decision with any of this stuff?
That's what I do (minus the sword). I'm a bumbling oaf of a player though

Picked up
Havels

Havels set, his shield

No, but you'll probably upset some people in PVP. For some reason Havel Mages/Two-sword yielders are frowned upon, but using glass-canon resonant soul builds with ludicrous damage is a-ok.

lol FROM, putting
hard enemies in the spawming area of NG+
, nice trolling, ahah.

Got to Heide's Tower, NG+ community seems fairly active for now, got summoned a lot and got invaded a lot.

Speaking of invasions though, how come I got invaded by blues despite the fact I'm clear as a baby? It's because I was in Heide?

Did you kill NPCs?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsII\0110000100a636ce

That last folder maybe different from user to user though.

It may also be hidden. I dunno if Win7 will do this, but if you use the start menu (or run command) in Win 8 and type in "DarkSoulsII" it'll find the save folder for you.

garath

Wow. Finally picked up the game and I'm loving it. Played a solid 2-3 hours last night without even blinking. Started bandit with the expectation of dual wielding something. Been ages since I played a souls game so I'm rusty on the combat. Need some more work with it. Playing pretty sloppy.

I'm already liking this a lot more than DS1. Might not be a popular opinion but things like the bonfire travel system and more "linear" start has made getting into the game a lot easier for me.

I played a ton of Demon's souls but only a little DS1. It just never clicked for me.

Now I'm sitting at work waiting to play again lol.

Ghost23

Alright, yeah I had some issues with hiding it as well. Here's the reddit page I used that helped me figure it out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23wo76/controller_fix_for_pc/

Specifically, this quote:

I found his link for electrobrains' program was not working, so did a quick google search and the thread with the program is: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver

Just scroll down a bit and you'll see the download list. I used DS4Windows 1.0 Beta 10 2014 04 27.

After downloading it and opening it, it looks identical to InhexSTER's DS4Tool... Which may be what GoaLitiuM was referring to when he was talking about a patch, I'm not sure because there was no patching and I didn't have to alter any files as patches normally do.

I went ahead and tried it out. Here are the steps I used.

1) Download electrobrains' file.
2) Close Steam/Dark Souls 2.
3) Run DS4Windows program, connect my controller, Hide DS4 selected.
4) Start Steam, then start Dark Souls 2
5) Play.

I'm honestly not sure why electrobrains' program works for me whereas InhexSTER's doesn't, but I haven't had any issues at all since downloading it.

Of note are a couple of things:

1) I haven't opened up InhexSTER's DS4Tool since using electrobrains' DS4Windows program.
2) DS4Tool *was* working for me before using DS4Windows. I remember the specific moment I couldn't use my DS4 in Dark Souls 2 anymore, and that was when I accidentally went to Key Bindings from the menu, while in-game. At that point my controller wouldn't respond and I could only use kb+m.

I uninstalled drivers, removed and reinstalled bluetooth adapters, etc etc. No avail. Then I found electrobrains' program and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps man. And anyone else that may be suffering from controller issues.

Thanks for the help! When I try to open DS4 tool, however, I get an error about Microsoft Net Framework. Would you have any idea what this is?

elfinke

Invaded twice in a row. Was pummelled to death in stunlock by a Havel guy, and then stunlocked by a dark-infused Shotel/dagger (I think it was a dagger) chump. Both times, once their first hit landed it was game over.

Both invasions gt a chuckle out of me.

Vitor711

Wow. Finally picked up the game and I'm loving it. Played a solid 2-3 hours last night without even blinking. Started bandit with the expectation of dual wielding something. Been ages since I played a souls game so I'm rusty on the combat. Need some more work with it. Playing pretty sloppy.

I'm already liking this a lot more than DS1. Might not be a popular opinion but things like the bonfire travel system and more "linear" start has made getting into the game a lot easier for me.

I played a ton of Demon's souls but only a little DS1. It just never clicked for me.

Now I'm sitting at work waiting to play again lol.

Same as me. Loved DeS, but actually gave up on DkS just after its initial release. Didn't really get into it until I got the PC version and, even then, never completed the game.

Not entirely sure why but I just steam-rolled through DkS2. 60 hours in and still going, about half way through NG+. Not sure if I just needed some more time to build up an urge for that sort of game again or if something about DkS2 just hits home with me more.

Thanks for the help! When I try to open DS4 tool, however, I get an error about Microsoft Net Framework. Would you have any idea what this is?

Perhaps you have an out-of-date version of Microsoft's .net Framework. Go look for the latest version and confirm that it's what you have installed. If not, then uninstall yours and install the newest version.

garath

Same as me. Loved DeS, but actually gave up on DkS just after its initial release. Didn't really get into it until I got the PC version and, even then, never completed the game.

Not entirely sure why but I just steam-rolled through DkS2. 60 hours in and still going, about half way through NG+. Not sure if I just needed some more time to build up an urge for that sort of game again or if something about DkS2 just hits home with me more.

Ditto. I'm having trouble putting my finger on exactly what makes dark souls 2 that much more appealing to me but I'm loving it.

Side note.. I used my petrified something on the nest when it asked for smooth and silky and got a titanite shard. Seems like a crappy reward for the gift. Should I have saved it?

Leezard

Ditto. I'm having trouble putting my finger on exactly what makes dark souls 2 that much more appealing to me but I'm loving it.

Side note.. I used my petrified something on the nest when it asked for smooth and silky and got a titanite shard. Seems like a crappy reward for the gift. Should I have saved it?
No, there is no other use for the petrified something.
The gift is a bit random.

DS1 had better music (same composer as DS2, I know), better world/level/dungeon design (memorable moments like seeing Ash Lake from Tomb of the Giants, entering Ash Lake and looking up at the "world trees" for the first time, standing near the edge of the Ash Lake beach and getting goosebumps at not being able to see into the water at all, and hence imagining all sorts of creepy massive creatures underneath, etc.), more creative or interesting monster/boss design (Hydras, Gaping Dragon aka vagina monster, Bed of Chaos, etc.)

That being said I still prefer DS2 for some reason. The PC controls are an improvement, even though there are still issues (slight delay in L/R mouse key input, rigid key binding customizations like not being able to designate left shift as both the block and the "confirm" key at the same time, or not being able to designate no key at all for a particular keyboard function although they give that "none" option for the mouse-related bindings.) The forced controller button prompts are also really confusing at first when using KB+mouse. The PvP phantom blade lag effect is annoying as hell, but the online play is still superior to DS1, and I'm glad there's no GFWL or uplay or any additional crap like that layered on top of Steam. The changes to parry, back stab, and the replacement of kick with guard break are all definitely improvements. I don't like how the NPCs end up permanently residing in Majula, instead of eventually taking off like they do in DS1 though. The crushed eye orb for invading Licia also feels like it was an unfinished or poorly conceived feature.

Anyways, I still much prefer DS2 for whatever reasons. BTW if anybody's trying to use KB+mouse, there's an easy way to set up the key bindings to negate/bypass the L/R mouse key delays, and to vastly improve the setup, without the use of autohotkey. If you're interested, PM me for instructions. It'll be much easier if you're using a mouse that comes with software that has at least some limited macro functionality (for example, I set mouse keys 4 and 5 to function as right ctrl+w and right ctrl, which work for me as guard break and right hand attack, after binding right ctrl in-game as right hand attack) but there are other ways around it too.

Darklurker(s)
is kicking my ass and I'm out of effiges now. Don't know why I'm even bothering. This game really dropped the ball in terms of boss battles imo. They're either easy and boring or cheap and gimmicky. I mean, I never was that good at Dark Souls but I died to him and
Ancient Dragon
more times than all post Capra bosses in Dark Souls 1 combined. And that was my first Souls game.

The game is very good, but the lazy level design (well, lazy compared to the first game) and the hugely disappointing boss battles kind of give the whole B team thing away.

Or maybe I'm just burnt out after 50 hours, I'll leave the game be for a while I guess.

BadTaste

I've now got the full Heide Knight set but the stats are no where near as good as Vengarl's set.. I dunno if defensive stats matter much in NG+, I get killed in 2 swings by everything anyway.

Darklurker(s)
is kicking my ass and I'm out of effiges now. Don't know why I'm even bothering. This game really dropped the ball in terms of boss battles imo. They're either easy and boring or cheap and gimmicky. I mean, I never was that good at Dark Souls but I died to him and
Ancient Dragon
more times than all post Capra bosses in Dark Souls 1 combined. And that was my first Souls game.

The game is very good, but the lazy level design (well, lazy compared to the first game) and the hugely disappointing boss battles kind of give the whole B team thing away.

Or maybe I'm just burnt out after 50 hours, I'll leave the game be for a while I guess.

To be fair, their A team was probably off doing Beast Souls or whatever lol

Grief.exe

Darklurker(s)
Ancient Dragon

Use Lightning damage.

Vitor711

DS1 had better music (same composer as DS2, I know), better world/level/dungeon design (memorable moments like seeing Ash Lake from Tomb of the Giants, entering Ash Lake and looking up at the "world trees" for the first time, standing near the edge of the Ash Lake beach and getting goosebumps at not being able to see into the water at all, and hence imagining all sorts of creepy massive creatures underneath, etc.), more creative or interesting monster/boss design (Hydras, Gaping Dragon aka vagina monster, Bed of Chaos, etc.)

That being said I still prefer DS2 for some reason. The PC controls are an improvement, even though there are still issues (slight delay in L/R mouse key input, rigid key binding customizations like not being able to designate left shift as both the block and the "confirm" key at the same time, or not being able to designate no key at all for a particular keyboard function although they give that "none" option for the mouse-related bindings.) The forced controller button prompts are also really confusing at first when using KB+mouse. The PvP phantom blade lag effect is annoying as hell, but the online play is still superior to DS1, and I'm glad there's no GFWL or uplay or any additional crap like that layered on top of Steam. The changes to parry, back stab, and the replacement of kick with guard break are all definitely improvements. I don't like how the NPCs end up permanently residing in Majula, instead of eventually taking off like they do in DS1 though. The crushed eye orb for invading Licia also feels like it was an unfinished or poorly conceived feature.

Anyways, I still much prefer DS2 for whatever reasons. BTW if anybody's trying to use KB+mouse, there's an easy way to set up the key bindings to negate/bypass the L/R mouse key delays, and to vastly improve the setup, without the use of autohotkey. If you're interested, PM me for instructions. It'll be much easier if you're using a mouse that comes with software that has at least some limited macro functionality (for example, I set mouse keys 4 and 5 to function as right ctrl+w and right ctrl, which work for me as guard break and right hand attack, after binding right ctrl in-game as right hand attack) but there are other ways around it too.

I think I prefer that the visuals seem to be closer to DeS in terms of aesthetic style than DkS. And truth be told, the art-style has always been one of the major selling point of the series for me.

And while the new bosses may not be as visually imaginative, I think that the more gimmicky fights (i,e RRV and Chariot) are actually more interesting and well executed than similar fights in DkS.

DkS2 doesn't reach the eights of the first one but neither does it reach the nadirs of the second half (also, The Gutter > Blight-town in my opinion). It feels more consistent.

The fact that the online actually works this time is also a transformative experience. Never did much, if any, co-op in DkS but am constantly engaged in that here. Sure, that can have its downsides such as dual invasion nonsense in the Belfy but it certainly makes for a more varied game.

Is there an armor set that boosts lightning damage or somethign like that?

I'm rolling in a Alonne0 Knight set right now but it's more for looks than anything. I want to get better armor/shield before going to NG+

J-Rod

I got invaded on NG being sin free and in Lost Bastille of all places. I guess it isn't noteworthy, but it still surprised me.

Forkball

Shrine of Amana... WHY. It seems like every area after Iron Keep is a grab bag of annoying gameplay gimmicks.

I tried to get the Alonne Captain set, but no dice. I cleaned out all those guys from the first to second bonfires in Iron Keep. I remember a few more inside, but that area is uh, not easy to say the least. I did get a Blacksteel Katana though.

I tried to Bluebro for a bit as well. I actually got summoned into someone's world automatically, but the world master died immediately, yet I somehow got about 20k souls. Using the blue orbs are pretty frustrating. 19/20 it's a failure.

Then I decided to duel a bit in BoB. Dueling is a lot of fun until you fight cowardly mages who just spam dark hadokens or whatever. I love my mace, but I feel that it's a bit gimped in PVP because the range is so small. I'm trying to level up a claymore and great club as alternatives, and I have a greatsword (the Guts sword) up to +10 already.

I got five cracked red orbs and decided to invade. First in Iron Keep, then the other four in DC. Iron Keep is a very convenient place to invade, but they almost always have phantoms with them. I got some good victories in DC and some close defeats. Sadly they barely gave any souls at all.

Also I want the Mastadon Halberd, where is a fast place to get it as in which bonfire and route takes me to those mastadon guys the fastest?

bj00rn_

Banned
LOL. I just noticed that I probably did a sex change 50 hours ago that I just now noticed :-D I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that I had boobs.

HoosTrax

Also I want the Mastadon Halberd, where is a fast place to get it as in which bonfire and route takes me to those mastadon guys the fastest?
Doors of Pharos, first bonfire. There are two exits from the bonfire, and one Mastadon outside each. (That's a Rat Covenant area though, so be careful)

The other place that has Mastodons is in Drangleic but getting there can be extremely annoying due to trollish enemy placement above the ladder going from the bonfire to the entrance where the Mastodons are.

Taruranto

Darklurker(s)
Ancient Dragon

Meh, I don't see what's so bad about that boss fight. It has pretty straightforward mechanics and can be cleared in multiple ways.

Actually I think the bosses in the second half of the game are much better than the one in the first half. I really enjoyed the
Ancient Dragon and the Darklurker
, they felt much more like DS1 fights.

Well... Shit. So I guess you can start casting a certain spells and then backstep to cancel it right into another cast. Totally fucks up your dodge if you were intending to dodge the first cast.

Great Resonant Soul is still a threat!!!

HoosTrax

Btw, I'm compiling a list of the most trollworthy design decisions as far as enemy placement by the FROM devs. (don't read this if you're still on NG)

1) Shrine of Amana - second area, in front of the fog door. Large numbers of Archdrakes, mages, and lizardmen in a very small area, where you are subject to movement speed penalties, but the enemies aren't.

2) Bastille Key - after the Belfry Luna battle, you go down a ladder to get this key. Waiting at the bottom of said ladder are eight zombie dogs. As soon as you step foot on solid ground, an additional red phantom spawns.

3) Ghost Ship, No-Mans Wharf - as you approach the ghost ship from the pier, if you look closely to the right, you'll see several Varangian pirates in the water with their heads sticking out, gripping the pier, ready to pull themselves out of the water. These guys are waiting to ambush you from the rear as you step onto the ship to deal with the pirates and red phantom.

4) Brightstone Cove cliffside buildings - spiders spawning everywhere, white mages shooting rapid fire homing orbs that knock you off the ziplines, giant wormhole at the bottom

5) Straid's cell

6) Sinner's Rise basement, portcullis lever - god forbid you aren't thorough about cleaning the area out beforehand

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Might as well throw the Saltfort bonfire onto that list as well. So damn annoying.

Also don't forget all the
infinitely exploding mummies
that pop out of the sewer
at the bottom of the well in Majula.

Meh, I don't see what's so bad about that boss fight. It has pretty straightforward mechanics and can be cleared in multiple ways.

Actually I think the bosses in the second half of the game are much better than the one in the first half. I really enjoyed the
Ancient Dragon and the Darklurker
, they feel much more like DS1 fights.
The fact they went the cheap way (once again) and had you fight against multiple enemies when the camera doesn't allow for that. Ornstein and Smough, for instance, or the
Throne Watchers
in this game were fair because you could always keep an eye on one of them when you were attacking the other and because they didn't have auto-targeting attacks with insane range that could kill you from the other side of the room, like the
Darklurker

That and the annoying run to it, which also requires a human effigy. It kind of epitomizes everything that's wrong with this game and it feels nothing like a Dark Souls 1 battle to me.

so I just finished
Iron Keep
...wheres the next best place to go : down the shithole or through the fog?
The fog in
Shaded Woods
you mean? It's up to you, the
Iron Keep
was probably the hardest of the three post Bastille areas anyway.

Stet

Banned
Might as well throw the Saltfort bonfire onto that list as well. So damn annoying.

Also don't forget all the
infinitely exploding mummies
that pop out of the sewer
at the bottom of the well in Majula.

I just killed the trio by Saltfort and then rested over and over until they disappeared. Dumb placement.

Grief.exe

I love this armor set:
screenshot_2014-05-05ldj2u.jpg

But I had to stop wearing it. I aggro'd an NPC I really didn't want to aggro because I poisoned him by mistake :/

The character creator is very powerful, she looks amazing.

In these type of situations I always just select random until something acceptable comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom