• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah that's one thing I liked a lot more about DS1 than DS2. DS2 has a lot of stupid farming. DS1 you could get everything in one run without really farming.

this is an obvious exageration and completely untrue, but im still going to say it. this kinda wants to meke me not play anymore lol. I almost made this sorc just to use that mask after getting it on my tank. I thought it was a sure drop ffs :(

edit: and now im dying to the stupid
skeleton boss
, in fact im dying when theres barely any mobs left too... I should just stop, this will only get worse on this session obviously

Yeah that's one thing I liked a lot more about DS1 than DS2. DS2 has a lot of stupid farming. DS1 you could get everything in one run without really farming. I've killed the mad warrior probably 60-70 times and he still hasn't dropped the mask. He has dropped everything but.

Ugh, I am not looking forward to that. Any tips to improve invasion rates?

Ugh, I am not looking forward to that. Any tips to improve invasion rates?

It's rumored but unproven that the delicate string will improve his chance of spawning. Aside from that, remember to wear your jester/merchant hat, prisoner tatter, and +2 gold serpent ring. If you use a bonfire ascetic, it'll reset his loot table (he only drops 1 of each item per NG, but it looks like the drop rate for the last piece will plummet when you've got 1 of everything but). Should that hunch be correct, then the bonfire ascetic will be key to getting the last piece you need before you go mad. Also, I believe you need to be in the bell covenant for him to spawn. On the plus side, his kills count towards bell covenant rank. Just remember to set steam to offline before you farm him.

You can re-roll a chance to respawn him by resting at a bonfire or using aged feather/homeward bone. Also, when he spawns, your DS2 memory usage should spike by 15-20 megs.

edit: visible aurous farming is much worse..... on pc anyways. can't use that fog wall trick like you can on ps3

Reaching level fucking one in Blue Sentinels was enough of a hassle. I'm not about to invade 100 more people or help out 100 people in co-op to be able to fight 100 folks in the arena. Fuck that. I just want to fight in the arena. The second I reach blood bros I'm switching covenants.

Reaching level fucking one in Blue Sentinels was enough of a hassle. I'm not about to invade 100 more people or help out 100 people in co-op to be able to fight 100 folks in the arena. Fuck that. I just want to fight in the arena. The second I reach blood bros I'm switching covenants.

Just go to chancellor wellager in real NG++ (bonfire ascetics won't work) and he'll sell the sentinel+blood rank rewards at some point late enough in that run. Also kill sentinel targray to get his weapon (and then you can buy his armor set from old hag merchant) and kill blood npc to get his armor set and weapon (you'll have to buy some pieces from old hag merchant).

Nah I ain't doing it for the armor/weapons. I wanted Wrath of the Gods. But honestly I've seen people trying to use it against me in PvP. Seems like it'd only work against idiots who rush at the enemy. I'm always circling and jumping waiting for a fuck-up.

Nah I ain't doing it for the armor/weapons. I wanted Wrath of the Gods. But honestly I've seen people trying to use it against me in PvP. Seems like it'd only work against idiots who rush at the enemy. I'm always circling and jumping waiting for a fuck-up.

Yeah wellager sells WOTG in NG++, as well as great chaos fireball (or whatever the hell it's called). I haven't used WOTG but licia kicks ass with that spell. If you just want a knockdown effect, scraps of life also works (can't remember if WOTG provided knockdown, since it always 1-hit killed me from NG++ licia)

elfinke

While it's effective use is limited and perhaps a bit of luck is needed also, Dead Again seems like an impossibly hilarious hex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJzUoKvX_s

Man, I'm cruising through NG+ as my Sorc. Just pewpew all day long, it's great - boring old heavy soul arrow hits for ~700 on the bandits through Huntsmans Copse, and they stagger those poxy red phantoms, too.

Also, Yearn is an amazing spell. I recommend all Sorcs look into its use during PvE progression.

Where are all these so-called 'sinners'? My blue ring hasn't gone off once.

While it's effective use is limited and perhaps a bit of luck is needed also, Dead Again seems like an impossibly hilarious hex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJzUoKvX_s

Man, I'm cruising through NG+ as my Sorc. Just pewpew all day long, it's great - boring old heavy soul arrow hits for ~700 on the bandits through Huntsmans Copse, and they stagger those poxy red phantoms, too.

Also, Yearn is an amazing spell. I recommend all Sorcs look into its use during PvE progression.

Where are all these so-called 'sinners'? My blue ring hasn't gone off once.

not many people run with way of blue in NG+ and above. if you want to kill sinners you'll have to start using those cracked blue eye orbs.

54-46!

I'm thinking about buying a DualShock 4, any problems with the wrapper drivers and such? do you have to tinker with it every time you want to use it? Brad said he had issues with it on the Bombcast IIRC.

Should buy one of those or just get a 360 wired controller?

I'm currently using a Logitech F710 but I'm having issues with lag and such, don't know why - I've replaced the batteries and I'm sitting no more than 2m away from the receiver.

Bittercup

I could need some advice on stats.
I started as a sorcerer and had planned to use mainly sorcery with hexes as support. Put mainly levels in int and left faith at 20.
Over time I was enjoying the hexes slightly more and like to use hexes and sorcery both primarily and therefore increased faith and right now I'm at 50 int 30 faith. I thought I bring both to the same level since hexes scale with the lower one but surprisingly even with those numbers my dark bonus is already slightly higher than the magic bonus. Not quite sure why that is the case.
And with my spare souls I checked the bonus increase for the next two levels but apparently increasing faith doesn't add much to the dark bonus any more. From 30 to 32 only 1 point. Same with int and magic bonus from 50 to 52.
Have I already reached some kind of soft cap for spell damage? Does it make sense to increase either/both Int and Faith further?

sirap

I'm thinking about buying a DualShock 4, any problems with the wrapper drivers and such? do you have to tinker with it every time you want to use it? Brad said he had issues with it on the Bombcast IIRC.

Should buy one of those or just get a 360 wired controller?

I'm currently using a Logitech F710 but I'm having issues with lag and such, don't know why - I've replaced the batteries and I'm sitting no more than 2m away from the receiver.

I've noticed some input lag with my Ds4. Xbox One controller works fine though, nice and responsive but the shoulder buttons are ass for bows

Moff

I started as a sorcerer and had planned to use mainly sorcery with hexes as support. Put mainly levels in int and left faith at 20.
Over time I was enjoying the hexes slightly more and like to use hexes and sorcery both primarily and therefore increased faith and right now I'm at 50 int 30 faith. I thought I bring both to the same level since hexes scale with the lower one but surprisingly even with those numbers my dark bonus is already slightly higher than the magic bonus. Not quite sure why that is the case.
And with my spare souls I checked the bonus increase for the next two levels but apparently increasing faith doesn't add much to the dark bonus any more. From 30 to 32 only 1 point. Same with int and magic bonus from 50 to 52.
Have I already reached some kind of soft cap for spell damage? Does it make sense to increase either/both Int and Faith further?

the softcap is around 40 I think.
one of your strongest sorceries, the soul geyser needs 63int, though you can lower the int requirements for spells later in the game.

personally, I have 69 int, because I didnt know anything about a softcap.

Get 60 int for 5 crystal soul mass orbs or whatever the sorcery version of affinity is.

This might be a bit of a newbie question but what do you mean by softcap? Does it mean that once you reach a certain level damage output won't have much of a difference?

Timu

iyUWxFne2oOzW.png
This is after 35 hours of gameplay, and 5 required bosses are left, so much for that under 100 deaths thing, at least it'll be under 200, lol. I died 3 times on
Shrine of Amana
but the boss was so easy I got it on my 1st try.

Arjen

This might be a bit of a newbie question but what do you mean by softcap? Does it mean that once you reach a certain level damage output won't have much of a difference?

Yep, for example, until level 20 Endurance gives 2 stamina per level, after 20 it gives 1 stamina per level. All skills have soft caps like this, some higher then others.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if you use a bonfire ascetic, does it get harder for the entire game or just that zone?

Rhaknar

thank you all. and will that respawn the huntsman copse phantom?

i need that fucking mask >_<

elfinke

Just got the dull ember in NG+...
that red phantom scared the shit outta me
!

Fuck that guy. Iron Keep is a billion times easier with ranged attacks, holy shit.

It's rumored but unproven that the delicate string will improve his chance of spawning. Aside from that, remember to wear your jester/merchant hat, prisoner tatter, and +2 gold serpent ring. If you use a bonfire ascetic, it'll reset his loot table (he only drops 1 of each item per NG, but it looks like the drop rate for the last piece will plummet when you've got 1 of everything but). Should that hunch be correct, then the bonfire ascetic will be key to getting the last piece you need before you go mad. Also, I believe you need to be in the bell covenant for him to spawn. On the plus side, his kills count towards bell covenant rank. Just remember to set steam to offline before you farm him.

You can re-roll a chance to respawn him by resting at a bonfire or using aged feather/homeward bone. Also, when he spawns, your DS2 memory usage should spike by 15-20 megs.

edit: visible aurous farming is much worse..... on pc anyways. can't use that fog wall trick like you can on ps3

So, you can sit there with task manager open and incessantly rest at the bonfire and if there is a memory spike up then he spawned?

So, you can sit there with task manager open and incessantly rest at the bonfire and if there is a memory spike up then he spawned?

Yup. You'll see some smaller fluctuations but it's the big 15 meg spikes that indicate mad warrior spawn. Even with this trick, I've nearly killed him enough times to get the rank 3 bell covenant reward. Still haven't got the mask from him, and it's the last piece I'm missing.

edit: scratch that. just got the mask. There's nothing particularly good about it but it looks cool and it's rare. lol it looks like it was "inspired" by the predator mask and "dreadlocks".

So I gave the
old guy in Shaded Woods
a human effigy to open up the
warp thing to the dark chasm
but I can't interact with it in any way. Bug? I tried resting at a bonfire but nothing changed.

edit: nevermind I'm stupid, I had to re-join the covenant.

Yup. You'll see some smaller fluctuations but it's the big 15 meg spikes that indicate mad warrior spawn. Even with this trick, I've nearly killed him enough times to get the rank 3 bell covenant reward. Still haven't got the mask from him, and it's the last piece I'm missing.

edit: scratch that. just got the mask. There's nothing particularly good about it but it looks cool and it's rare. lol it looks like it was "inspired" by the predator mask and "dreadlocks".

Fashion Souls, I just want it for the cosplay. Thanks.

0x02506405 has worked perfectly for me. No slowdown, no flickering, no lighting issues over about 70 hours of play.

Just thought I would say that this bit has the same "missing ambient" lighting issue that other bits have. THe game looks overbright as a result and looks like it lacks AO.

Seeing as how the fog wall quit trick doesn't work for farming visible aurous set on pc (as it does on ps3), does anyone have any easy tricks for farming it on pc?

Forkball

Is there a list of armor when upgraded to +10? I haven't upgraded any armor because I don't know what would be best. I'm rocking ugly Smelter Demon stuff so I was hoping somethng prettier could be just as strong if I put the titanite into it.

Vitor711

Is there a list of armor when upgraded to +10? I haven't upgraded any armor because I don't know what would be best. I'm rocking ugly Smelter Demon stuff so I was hoping somethng prettier could be just as strong if I put the titanite into it.

I'd recommend the
Alonne Captain armour.Drops from the electric-katana wielders in Iron Keep

Sounds like you don't mind heavy armour and it's fantastic once upgraded to +10. Easy to do so as well since it's only normal titanite that's needed.

The leggings and torso part are some of the best I've found in the game. You can switch out the helmet/gloves for better items though.
Mirror Knight gauntlets have the best physical damage stats and, as for the helmet, just go with what looks good. Prisoner's helm has a nice boost to equip load and very decent stats but having to upgrade it with twinkling titanite isn't ideal. Drakekeepers helm is another one that gets upgraded easily due to the need of just normal titanite and has great stats. Not the best out there, that's reserved for helms that need some of the twinkle stuff usually, but probably the best 'normal' helm outside of that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Iron Keep for sure. The enemies are SO easy and you get from 750 - 1500 per.

I've been being a bell-asshole and just running around killing enemies while waiting to invade. I've been getting to 10K per run through the area so far, not too bad. I still get ~8 Invasions to do tonight before I'm done with that stuff and can take the ring off.

I still got like 3-4 areas to do before I'm in "endgame" AFAIK. I still got to find the last bon-fire area to travel two. It's the last one on that "grid" for teleporting to, which I'm assuming is end-game or something.

Durante

I love this armor set:
screenshot_2014-05-05ldj2u.jpg

But I had to stop wearing it. I aggro'd an NPC I really didn't want to aggro because I poisoned him by mistake :/

Taruranto

lol FROM, putting
hard enemies in the spawming area of NG+
, nice trolling, ahah.

Got to Heide's Tower, NG+ community seems fairly active for now, got summoned a lot and got invaded a lot.

Speaking of invasions though, how come I got invaded by blues despite the fact I'm clear as a baby? It's because I was in Heide?

UrbanRats

I personally don't even look at armor stats too much, and just wear the most decent thing that fits my character's image.
(luckily, Vangarl's and Dark armor are quite good).

Regardless, you mostly have to either roll or block in this game. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom