• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitgirl

Guys I must confess something. I'm 3/4 great souls in and I just realized there are four ring slots, I've only been using two. Just noticed this while watching someone else play. I'm usually pretty perceptive and I remember hearing someone say there's four slots awhile ago, no clue how I over looked this.

Uthred

I could need some advice on stats.
I started as a sorcerer and had planned to use mainly sorcery with hexes as support. Put mainly levels in int and left faith at 20.
Over time I was enjoying the hexes slightly more and like to use hexes and sorcery both primarily and therefore increased faith and right now I'm at 50 int 30 faith. I thought I bring both to the same level since hexes scale with the lower one but surprisingly even with those numbers my dark bonus is already slightly higher than the magic bonus. Not quite sure why that is the case.
And with my spare souls I checked the bonus increase for the next two levels but apparently increasing faith doesn't add much to the dark bonus any more. From 30 to 32 only 1 point. Same with int and magic bonus from 50 to 52.
Have I already reached some kind of soft cap for spell damage? Does it make sense to increase either/both Int and Faith further?

Dark damage bonus soft cap is 30 Int/30 Faith, if focusing on hexes no real reson to go above that (unless you need to to meet requirements)

DS1 had better music (same composer as DS2, I know), better world/level/dungeon design (memorable moments like seeing Ash Lake from Tomb of the Giants, entering Ash Lake and looking up at the "world trees" for the first time, standing near the edge of the Ash Lake beach and getting goosebumps at not being able to see into the water at all, and hence imagining all sorts of creepy massive creatures underneath, etc.), more creative or interesting monster/boss design (Hydras, Gaping Dragon aka vagina monster, Bed of Chaos, etc.)

Personally the music is a wash for me, in general I think DS had better boss themes but DS2 has better level ones. Same thing with the level and dungeon design, I think visually Shrine of Amala, Dragons Aerie, Drangleic Castle, etc are as impressive as anything in DS and that design wise areas like the Lost Bastille are equal to if not superior to the levels in DS. I did enjoy the interconnected world in DS but I also dont mind the warping in DS2, so its again mostly a wash. I think the boss fights are generally as "boring" in DS2 as DS1, though O&S in DS is probably the best of both games, especially as it retains its difficulty. Then again nothing in DS2 approaches the "bullshit" bosses in DS1. While I generally liked the bosses in DS2 in terms of visual design I agree they do sort of lack the visual impact of some of the bosses in DS1. On the other hand I totally disagree about the normal monster design, I thought the ones in DS2 were more creative and interesting and they even improved on series staples like the Mimics (the DS2 ones are super creey).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Guys I must confess something. I'm 3/4 great souls in and I just realized there are four ring slots, I've only been using two. Just noticed this while watching someone else play. I'm usually pretty perceptive and I remember hearing someone say there's four slots awhile ago, no clue how I over looked this.

You're going to love all those rings.

11cJXhF.jpg

Ghost23

Games amazing, but oh my god the pursuer is impossible. I'm down to like half health now because of being undead, and I have 0 souls.

So I'm thinking of burning bonfire aestics in the
Aldia's Keep
to farm Petrified Dragon Bones

It's a pretty easy run to pick up two so I should get what I need fairly quickly, if this is an optional area (I'm not sure) is there any real downside to it?

Playing ng+ on and off, trying to wean myself off DS2 and play some other games in my backlog. Lost Sinner was annoying but it only took me 3-4 tries.

I like
How the freja shows up earlier, it should have been that way in ng, she has a lot of health to work through and that actually made the fight easier

Durante

The character creator is very powerful, she looks amazing.

In these type of situations I always just select random until something acceptable comes up.
Thanks. For me, the more powerful the character creation system, the more time I spend on it :/

"Worst" are games with a powerful aesthetic character creation system and lots of meaningful mechanical (stats/skills/etc) choices at the start. I can spend over an hour before even starting the game :p

Games amazing, but oh my god the pursuer is impossible. I'm down to like half health now because of being undead, and I have 0 souls.

go get summoned and help someone else kill the boss (using the large white soapstone) or killing mobs for 5 minutes (small white soapstone), that'll bring you back to life and you may even get some lifegems in the process.

Was 2 seriously made by the unofficial "B" Team?

Some of the staff that worked on DeS and DarS (most notably the lead designer) were working on other projects, presumably Beast. If B team is suppose to designate them as somehow being worse designers/developers I disagree, the game is fantastic and is more than worthy of being a sequel to DarS.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So a friend gave me a puppy to make up for a dog I lost recently, I'm without words... And without a name, I can't think of anything. Help me Dark Souls gaf!

Something simple to call out, so no Nashandra lol :p

hitgirl

So a friend gave me a puppy to make up for a dog I lost recently, I'm without words... And without a name, I can't think of anything. Help me Dark Souls gaf!

Something short hmm.. Sif, Nitto. Lots of possibilities!

Feltrol

Banned

Solaire (of Astora), without a doubt. Praise the sun, bro!

ElFly

Gavlan!

With Gavlan you wheel, you deeeaaal.

Carcetti

The only thing that Dark Souls and dogs bring to mind... name him Royal Rat Authority!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I did think of Solaire and Sif :p

neither rolls off the tongue :(

Edit: kinda like Vendrick, seems too fancy tho, especially for normal people that never heard of dark souls.

I should just just name him Poppy (as in Galford's dog from samsho series), always wanted to name a dog that, and it sounds like a "normal" name

So I'm about 20 hours into the game now. I can see they are continuing the trend from Dark Souls 1 of giving the enemies/bosses crazy swing arcs and tracking abilities. I've now seen enemies with greater than 360 degree attack swings, and other enemies pivot more than 180 degrees on a thrust attack after already starting the animation. I guess this is the logical response to the tried and true method of circling around enemy and shoving your sword up its backside...which mostly got me through Demon's Souls.

So rolling is out for the most part now.

My strategy with Dark Souls 2 seems to be to figure out the reach on attacks and back step to dodge. You can then usually get away with rolling on the final attack in the chain and proceeding to counter.

What has other peoples experience been? My encumberance is under 50% and I keep dumping points into ADP but rolling is still a risky strategy.

Sullichin

Man, I wish Looking Glass Knight was much harder than he is. Even on NG+ that fight is only difficult if an invader is making it tough.

Sullichin

Cale
Gavlan
Vesdoglt
But Sif is the obvious choice I guess

DeaviL

Banned
I did think of Solaire and Sif :p

neither rolls off the tongue :(

Edit: kinda like Vendrick, seems too fancy tho, especially for normal people that never heard of dark souls.

I should just just name him Poppy (as in Galford's dog from samsho series), always wanted to name a dog that, and it sounds like a "normal" name

Look the puppy in it's cute eyes and see how he reacts to the words "Wheel" and "Deal".

You know you have to.

So I did something I'm not proud of. I'm using the homonunculs mace from the DLC. It's very powerful leveld up, much more so than my firesword, and the entrance stats are low/not there. But at Iron Keep the bump in difficulty suddenly is SO huge. I had no issues before and I'm suddenly dieing and dieing and...oh, dieing. With the mace it's easier but it does feel like cheating.

It should only feels like cheating when you use the black knight halberd....
Like i'm doing hehehe

Thrakier

So I did something I'm not proud of. I'm using the homonunculs mace from the DLC. It's very powerful leveld up, much more so than my firesword, and the entrance stats are low/not there. But at Iron Keep the bump in difficulty suddenly is SO huge. I had no issues before and I'm suddenly dieing and dieing and...oh, dieing. With the mace it's easier but it does feel like cheating.

Is there a way to farm large titanite thingies?

Forkball

So who's the evil one between Creightin and Pate? I thought it was obviously Pate but Creighton's dialogue after helping him wasn't reassuring.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So who's the evil one between Creightin and Pate? I thought it was obviously Pate but Creighton's dialogue after helping him wasn't reassuring.
Both are dangerous lunatics. But Creighton isn't who Cale thinks he is. Read more item descriptions and listen carefully to what Cale actually says next time you play the quest line.

Soul memory 9.1 million, still finding heaps of PVP and white signs around the place.

Just joined the Brotherhood of Blood after completing the Bell Keepers, now the real fun begins :)

Mistel

Banned
That was what Creighton says! You know, the guy who may be a escaped serial murderer.

Pate doesn't actually kill Creighton, he just puts him on a cage and goes on to trick other people.
Cale can only see the face of one of them who he says is a serial killer so...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Also Pate doesn't put Creighton in a cage. Creighton accidentally activates his own trap he intended for Pate and locks himself in the cage. This isn't evidence for Pate's innocence though.

Thrakier

Is there a way to farm large titanite thingies?

Any1?

Also why do I get invaded all the time in belfry?

Raw64life

They're both murderers.

The Duke's Doge Freja

Stet

Banned
I have yet to have a decent experience with belfry PVP. Either I show up and another invader vanquishes the host just as I appear or something wacky goes on due to lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom