• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

The only thing cheap is his death-throes attack. Could catch a lot of folks off guard.
That was pure BS. I actually killed him, then something came out of nowhere to wtfpwn me, and I saw the "YOU DIED" message overlay over boss's completely depleted health bar.

Mistel

Banned
farming
lost sinner
for sunlight medals.

so many hosts dying when literally all they need to do is block and swing.

yes your magic is impressive, you getting 1 shot because the boss switched aggro is annoying.
Try the red eye ring when you are summoned for bosses.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking D
ragon Shrine
. Wow this is borderline unfair hard for me right now :/

Grief.exe

The MLGS is so damn gorgeous! What path do people generally take it on? I notice that it is not buffable and gets an S rated scaling down the magic path.

Also, what are people spending their souls on? I'm SL160, and have no need to go further. I have about 300,000 souls and near all of the purchasable spells.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I love this armor set:
screenshot_2014-05-05ldj2u.jpg

But I had to stop wearing it. I aggro'd an NPC I really didn't want to aggro because I poisoned him by mistake :/

What is this. I want this.

that weird
since i started NG plus and i am unable to invade people
"unable to find a world to invade"
the invading depend on soul memory alone ? or soul memory and level ?
what is your soul memory and level now ?

From what I recall hearing PvP in NG depends on Soul Memory, while in NG+ it depends on either Soul Memory or Soul Level, whatever finds you someone to play with. As to invading players, you need to constantly attempt to use the cracked eye. Just put it in your quick inventory and keep utilizing it until it lets you invade. DS2 for some reason gives up fairly quickly in trying to match you up with somebody. Yesterday at 3 am-ish I had to retry the blue cracked eye for like 10 times straight before it let me invade a sinner.

Try the red eye ring when you are summoned for bosses.
This. Whenever I play co-op I always put it on. I especially liked a guy I helped with sentinels yesterday who had a microphone on "dude what's with your glowing red head?" and throughout the fight he noticed all the aggro was on me and kept saying stuff to his buddies in the room like "ah shit son, this guy is awesome he's taking all the attention"

When you're co-op'ing the life importance goes The Host > You > Other phantoms. Redeye Ring basically guarantees the host will survive while making your life more at risk, but as long as you can dodge around and heal and occasionally attack you'll be fine.Well assuming the host doesn't get cocky and keep attacking as some enemies, like the sentinels, have wide sweeping attacks.

Fucking D
ragon Shrine
. Wow this is borderline unfair hard for me right now :/

what exactly are you finding hard? I don't recall anything there being terribly hard.

TnK

Are there any good magic spells to learn that buff attack power similar to cursed enchant in Demon's Souls? I ask because I want to know if spending points in magic counts or not.

Also, this ENB lighting mod is so guuuud <3

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
How rare is to get an Alonne Captain set drop on a regular game? I got the chest piece and a black steel katana today and once I used a bonfire ascetic, I got the Helm as well. Set looks so badass.

The MLGS is so damn gorgeous! What path do people generally take it on? I notice that it is not buffable and gets an S rated scaling down the magic path.

Also, what are people spending their souls on? I'm SL160, and have no need to go further. I have about 300,000 souls and near all of the purchasable spells.

Most I know use it for magic path. But most people I know are mages who have this as their primary/secondary weapon. Mainly for PvP.

Beat the final boss!!!!

Dropped straight back to Majula, am I just in NG+ now?

No. You need to select the option from the bonfire to restart in NG+. The game will literally start from the beginning, only certain things are different and you'll notice it straight away lol

Does the Looking Glass Knight summon real players? Really cool if so.

It can. Though from what I recall hearing you need to leave your red summon sign in front of the boss door.

Moaradin

That was originally discussed, but it never came to fruition.

I'm pretty positive he summoned a real player for me last night. I was farming him for sunlight medals, and it only happened once, but I got the summon message and everything. I'm not sure if it was a mistake or what.

Sullichin

Sitting down at the fire shows the progression to NG+

That was originally discussed, but it never came to fruition.

He does summon real players. You can leave your red sign and be summoned by him. Might be NG+ only though. That's the only time I was able to get summoned / have a real summon on the fight.

The knights with the hammers are incredibly annoying unless you use ranged attacks. They are fucking relentless.

huh, forgot about those guys. Yeah I don't know who designed them, but whoever did is an ass. Who thought "let's get the big enemies with the already more dangerous weapon to have zero recovery and a wide swinging and slamming path. Melee people will love it"

He does summon real players. You can leave your red sign and be summoned by him. Might be NG+ only though. That's the only time I was able to get summoned / have a real summon on the fight.

Yep, it is an ng+ or bonfire ascetic ng feature. I have experienced one fight with a real summon and it was a lot more fun. The LGK even has a different summon animation that was really cool.

Moaradin

Mine happened in the regular game. It's only happened once out of the 20 times I've killed him though. Maybe to get summoned you need NG+ but to have someone summoned you don't?

J-Rod

Durability has been a big issue for me on the PC version. If I kill something near a wall and accidentally strike the corpse, my durability falls off in huge chunks. I never wore the knuckle ring on PS3, but I keep the +1 equipped as a permanent slot now, and my mastodon halberd still never makes it to the next bonfire. I hope they patch it.

Sullichin

Yep, it is an ng+ or bonfire ascetic ng feature. I have experienced one fight with a real summon and it was a lot more fun. The LGK even has a different summon animation that was really cool.

Fight's still too easy though. Last time I killed him I felt bad because I killed LGK as soon as the invader came out of the shield. Happens half the time when you invade there too. That boss could use a buff.

I imagine a real summon with help could be dangerous. Mainly because if the invader has a strong spell or miracle such as sunlight spear, and the people are focused on the mirror knight, they wouldn't know if the sunlight spear sound is from an ally or the enemy. So they could get hit and killed.

TnK

OK, I change my mind, this ENB mod is strange. Things are too dark (then again, maybe this was intended because you see clear areas where a torch is needed), and the mod sucks some color out of the game and makes things all grey. For example, Majula is supposed to be all orange because of the sunset, but with the mod on, everything is grey. Any tips on fixing this?

Grief.exe

One thing I noticed about Dark Souls 2 vs Dark Souls 1 is the insane detail on some of the textures just isn't there.

I look at some of these weapon and shield textures and they are incredibly low-resolution, with little amount of detail. What detail is there is muddled.

Stark contrast to the insane detailing found on some of these weapon, armors, and even general textures found in Dark Souls 1.

Disappointing to say the least.

I'm pretty positive he summoned a real player for me last night. I was farming him for sunlight medals, and it only happened once, but I got the summon message and everything. I'm not sure if it was a mistake or what.

I've been summoned to help LGK several times. Put a red sign down anywhere in the castle and there's a chance it'll happen.

iOAkY6nNZaicn.gif

If you alternate between the back feet it's supposed to be easy. Stand in front of the middle toe, hit once or twice to bait out foot stomp, then roll to other foot. Rinse and repeat. Dead Dragon.

Apparently. I've never gotten it to work...

I tried that a few times but eventually got him with the "stay on his flank and run like an idiot when he AOEs" method, which I think might be easier for a caster.

Also the fight was much, much, much less difficult alone. Co-op makes him even more unpredictable.

Was browsing the digital art book and found some characters that I haven't met yet in the game. (or maybe just forgotten)

http://imgur.com/a/6a0nu

Anyone knows who they are and where they are located? In spoiler tag please :)

1. Never seen them, probably only an art asset
2. Armor type
3. Those are the mannequins, or what they used to look like. The new designed ones, which are crappier, are in Earterhn Peak
4.That's just a pig. Not particularly this style in the game, but there are pigs.
5. There's an armor type that looks like this I believe, though I think it's invisible looking.
6. Armor type.
7. Armor type. The guy wearing it is probably just a random person to show it off.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Was browsing the digital art book and found some characters that I haven't met yet in the game. (or maybe just forgotten)

Predator looking guy is a
rare Black Phantom that invades you in Belfry Sol, if you joined the Bellkeeper Convenant, if you kill him you get his armor, the Mad Warrior set

J-Rod

The first one looks like an npc you meet after beating an optional boss you get to from harvest valley iirc.

The one with the white teardrop mask had a bit of a redesign so they are probably I unrecognizable. I forgot what zone they are in but they are regular enemies you will inevitably encounter.

nowai

1: not sure
2: Red phantom in Belfry Sol random spawn
3: ....rad Manikins before the awful in game models
4: nope
5: Visible Aurous set drops from red phantom in NG+ No Man's Warf
6: NG+ adds fighting Flextile Sentry
7: Not sure on the guy, but he's wearing my favorite in game armor, the Llewellyn set

First image is Emerald Herald as a child (unused, but in the credits there is a credit to child Emerald Herald as well, so probably cut content), 2nd is a rare spawn enemy in Belfry Sol, 3rd is the Mannequins from Earthen Peak (the mask was changed to the stupid one you find in game), 4th no idea, 5th is an NPC red phantom in NG+ No Man's Wharf, 6th are the adds that come with Flexile Sentry in NG+ and beyond, last no idea, but he's wearing Llewyn Armor which is obtainable from the stone knights in the King's Passage.

Grief.exe

• Little Girl: Don't know, probably removed
  • Beserker: Invader
  • Malkin: Design removed and replaced with the current design in Earthen Peak.
  • Pig: Probably removed
  • Sauron: Invader
  • Shadow Mask: Invader. I believe they are in the Flexile Sentry fight.
  • Last one looks like Captain Drommund.

First image is Emerald Herald as a child (unused, but in the credits there is a credit to child Emerald Herald as well, so probably cut content), 2nd is a rare spawn enemy in Belfry Sol, 3rd is the Mannequins from Earthen Peak (the mask was changed to the stupid one you find in game), 4th no idea, 5th is an NPC red phantom in NG+ No Man's Wharf, 6th are the adds that come with Flexile Sentry in NG+ and beyond, last no idea, but he's wearing Llewyn Armor which is obtainable from the stone knights in the Passage of Kings.

That voice credit for the child version is what you hear in the Dragon Aerie I believe.

HA. Got my first invader kill with a Seed of a Tree of Giants yesterday.

Was going through Heide's because I had forgotten to kill the optional boss, got invaded. Was beating the invader and predictably the guy runs off and hides in front of the three knights.

I pop the Seed item while he's behind a wall, and he doesn't notice at all. He's circling around and trolling and all the while the knight with the great sword is slowly creeping up to him, raises the sword for the slow two handed power slam and...BLAM. Dude never saw it coming and gets killed handily. I on the other hand started the customary Pumped Up animation just as the sword nails him.

Damn I love this game.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Man, the multiplayer in this game is a lot of fun. Had two great experiences last night.

1) I invaded someones world and we had a long, drawn out duel. It went from ranged to melee (we both used heavy, large weapons) where we were barely missing each other. At the end one final swing from either of us killed us simultaneously - so we both lost humanity. Then I put my summon sign down to regain humanity and get summoned. Who else is summoned with me? The guy I just fought. We both use the point gesture and continue to carry our host through No Man's Wharf (NG+),

2) Next I was playing with my roommate @ Belfry Luna. I summoned him and ran forward and instantly got invaded. The guy that invaded me (Aragorn) was relentless and kept charging and nearly killed me. He was about to get one final swipe on me to kill me but my summon came from behind and backstabbed him, instantly killing him. The Bellbros finally had the tables turned..

I've said it once and I'll say it again. It's a shame that Llewelyn is so low in defense. And its light weight is useless for someone like me who always wears soldier's ring+1, where the Faraam armor and greatsword combo is under 50%. Fashion Souls is great, but not when I'm dying. I still keep the armor with me and put it on whenever I feel like it, but PvP you bring your best.

Anyone know what key you need to open the door at the top of the blighttown area? (You take a zip line to it) and is there anything up there of note?

didamangi

Thanks guys, have finished new game but haven't gone on to ng+, really cool they add some new stuff in there. Real shame about that manikin set.

Anyone know what key you need to open the door at the top of the blighttown area? (You take a zip line to it) and is there anything up there of note?

If it's the door I'm thinking of
it's a key you get in the Black Gulch on a side area. And the only thing of note is Havel's Armor. So if you're not planning on doing a heavy armor type you can ignore it

I invaded some guys world who proceeded to summon 2 guys to help. I killed both the summons and then duel'd it out with the host. Killed him after he estus'd twice. On the final blow I rolled to avoid any counter (didn't realise he would die) but I rolled off the edge. Most boss moment ruined :(

Its a shame buying Cracked Red Eye Orbs is locked to NG+ :(

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

I think you're talking about the Forgotten Key. Inside is a (pretty cool and ... memorable) set of armor.

Those guys laugh at the concept of stamina.

Really annoyed the game is built on rules...that only apply to players. I've been stuck in close quarters plenty of times where the game won't let me swing my damn sword, but these guys can come at me clipping the walls all to hell.

Thought I was safe hiding behind a corner. Big old NOPE as the club came through the wall to end me.

• That voice credit for the child version is what you hear in the Dragon Aerie I believe.

• Interesting, after doing some research it appears that she is shorter than normal in that scene as well so it's possible. I totally hadn't noticed. I'll pay more attention next time.

Really annoyed the game is built on rules...that only apply to players. I've been stuck in close quarters plenty of times where the game won't let me swing my damn sword, but these guys can come at me clipping the walls all to hell.

Thought I was safe hiding behind a corner. Big old NOPE as the club came through the wall to end me.

I've seen people clip walls with UGS sometimes....so. Also, for a couple of you guys earlier in the thread that questioned if DS2 was really made by the B team, there's a thread on it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807289

This table in particular is really instructive: https://i.imgur.com/fbKR63j.jpg

Notice how literally NONE of the DS2 level designers and system designers had worked on DS1 or DeS. Literally NONE of them.

These are the only ones with prior Souls experience:

- The producer and executive producer were from DeS
- Most of the technical department is from DeS and/or DS1
- One of the network programmers and tool programmers are from DeS and/or DS1
- Two of the gameplay designers are from DeS and/or DS1
- ...and that's it. Those are the only carryovers. Everybody else (80-90% of the team) is a fresh face.

To be fair though, the total DS2 team looks to be about 3-4 times larger than the DS1 or DeS teams, so it was inevitable that there would be fresh faces. I have to question whether it was a good use of their money, but I suppose it's probably responsible for the game's relatively quick development cycle.

I invaded some guys world who proceeded to summon 2 guys to help. I killed both the summons and then duel'd it out with the host. Killed him after he estus'd twice. On the final blow I rolled to avoid any counter (didn't realise he would die) but I rolled off the edge. Most boss moment ruined :(

Its a shame buying Cracked Red Eye Orbs is locked to NG+ :(

It's even funnier when I'm a blue sentinel and he summons help. But I laughed at the situation where he summoned two guys and I was aiming my lightning spear at the host. The white phantoms came running towards me and at the last second I switched my aim to them and got them both with one sunlight spear. The host's face must've been "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and then I proceeded to whoop his ass.

Unless the person is using a katana or something else that abuses ghost hits, I can easily win in a one to one duel. Heck I've already killed a dude I fought with dual avelyns.

Having said that GUYS. U GAIS. I need advice again. After correcting my flaws in PvP I've found one that has happened too many times and now I need something to counter it because it's stressful. I've fought maybe 2 dudes in PvP who continuously use toxic Mist. If they only had two uses it wouldn't be an issue but these guys have like 4+ uses.

Is there anything I can use to counter toxic mist? Or not get affected by it? I find it crap that they can use it that many times and that it's impossible to dodge

edit: actually it might be dark fog. Regardless what should I do?

Yeah the only way I got past the hammer dudes is with my bow... about 20 arrows to kill them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom