• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowai

Really annoyed the game is built on rules...that only apply to players. I've been stuck in close quarters plenty of times where the game won't let me swing my damn sword, but these guys can come at me clipping the walls all to hell.

Thought I was safe hiding behind a corner. Big old NOPE as the club came through the wall to end me.

haha ya, turtle bros give no fucks for weapon "rules".

krakov

I must say looking at the art (in the art book for example) it looks amazing as usual. Though in many cases it didn't transfer that well to in-game assets. Dark Souls 2 has a bit of a cartoony look that I'm not a big fan of.

didamangi

Really annoyed the game is built on rules...that only apply to players. I've been stuck in close quarters plenty of times where the game won't let me swing my damn sword, but these guys can come at me clipping the walls all to hell.

Thought I was safe hiding behind a corner. Big old NOPE as the club came through the wall to end me.

One thing I wish From would add is friendly fire for enemies, it would make some awesome moments like if you roll from one enemy attack that kills the other that's trying to gank you from behind, etc.

Yeah the only way I got past the hammer dudes is with my bow... about 20 arrows to kill them

haha ya, turtle bros give no fucks for weapon "rules".

Damn straight.

Got stuck in a corridor with one and he did the sweep attack through the wall. So i thought I could do the same and tried to hit him with R1. *ping* > recover animation > dead.

and thats the story of why I switched to the mace for those fuckers.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Damn straight.

Got stuck in a corridor with one and he did the sweep attack through the wall. So i thought I could do the same and tried to hit him with R1. *ping* > recover animation > dead.

and thats the story of why I switched to the mace for those fuckers.

In situations like that I just hold up my shield and wait for an opening to do a jump attack. Or a roll-stab.

It's even funnier when I'm a blue sentinel and he summons help. But I laughed at the situation where he summoned two guys and I was aiming my lightning spear at the host. The white phantoms came running towards me and at the last second I switched my aim to them and got them both with one sunlight spear. The host's face must've been "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and then I proceeded to whoop his ass.

Unless the person is using a katana or something else that abuses ghost hits, I can easily win in a one to one duel. Heck I've already killed a dude I fought with dual avelyns.

Having said that GUYS. U GAIS. I need advice again. After correcting my flaws in PvP I've found one that has happened too many times and now I need something to counter it because it's stressful. I've fought maybe 2 dudes in PvP who continuously use toxic Mist. If they only had two uses it wouldn't be an issue but these guys have like 4+ uses.

Is there anything I can use to counter toxic mist? Or not get affected by it? I find it crap that they can use it that many times and that it's impossible to dodge

edit: actually it might be dark fog. Regardless what should I do?

It's easy to roll away from it with <30% equip load. Either you're weighed down too much, or you have slow reflexes. Keep green moss in your belt and don't be afraid to eat that shit.

I'm glad I stopped watching once JonTron left. And I also get more JonTron videos, so double bonus!

Also I've been researching. Apparently there is no counter against Dark Fog/Bat Staff, and that's what I've encountered in PvP twice now. What gives From? Why would you allow a spell that insta-toxics somebody? Poison Moss would be fine if they didn't have like 20 casts of this thing and they can just spam it and it's near unavoidable to get hit by toxic. And Poison Moss isn't exactly cheap.

It's easy to roll away from it with <30% equip load. Either you're weighed down too much, or you have slow reflexes. Keep green moss in your belt and don't be afraid to eat that shit.

I have less than 50%. And no it isn't 'easy to roll away from' I've clearly rolled away but I still get toxic. And considering the complaints and the videos, I don't see how it's 'easy' to roll away from. If the only counter is 'have a consumable with you at all times or know if you're going to fight a guy that spams it and change armors to something lighter' then that's not much of a counter.

I'm glad I stopped watching once JonTron left. And I also get more JonTron videos, so double bonus!

Also I've been researching. Apparently there is no counter against Dark Fog/Bat Staff, and that's what I've encountered in PvP twice now. What gives From? Why would you allow a spell that insta-toxics somebody? Poison Moss would be fine if they didn't have like 20 casts of this thing and they can just spam it and it's near unavoidable to get hit by toxic. And Poison Moss isn't exactly cheap.

I've PvPed plenty of good players that coped with my dark fog just fine. <50% is still too heavy. Go for <30%. You don't need heavy armor in PvP. If you're depending on a shield, you're going to get guard broken by anyone who's half-way decent. If you're depending on heavy armor, you're going to have your high equip load exploited. I've lawled my way through quite a few rebel's greatshield turtlers who think that it's a hex killer. Dark fog => Guard break => GRS => dead turtler.

burgerdog

Played some Demon's Souls for the first time last night and did 1-1 and 2-1. All my dark souls 1 and 2 experience is paying off big time. I've only died twice so far. One was pretty hilarious, tutorial boss one shot me. I wasn't expecting that from it.

Sullichin

I have less than 50%. And no it isn't 'easy to roll away from' I've clearly rolled away but I still get toxic. And considering the complaints and the videos, I don't see how it's 'easy' to roll away from.

Yeah dark fog with Bat Staff is definitely not easy to roll away from or block. It's basically a free chance for them to toxic you or at least punish you while you chomp moss.

Seems like something that will be patched. Let's not forget all the broken stuff in DS1 PVP this time in its life cycle.

I've PvPed plenty of good players that coped with my dark fog just fine. <50% is still too heavy. Go for <30%. You don't need heavy armor in PvP. If you're depending on a shield, you're going to get guard broken by anyone who's half-way decent. If you're depending on heavy armor, you're going to have your high equip load exploited.

30% roll will NOT help you escape dark fog with the bat staff.

Sullichin

Played some Demon's Souls for the first time last night and did 1-1 and 2-1. All my dark souls 1 and 2 experience is paying off big time. I've only died twice so far. One was pretty hilarious, tutorial boss one shot me. I wasn't expecting that from it.

Man, getting through 1-1 for the first time took me absolutely forever. I remember fondly.

I mean I guess I could give a try to PvP with Llewellyn set, since my strategy anyways is to always dodge. But I fought a guy specifically that used dark fog over and over again. I had poison moss for this fight so if I had a chance I'd consume it. But the guy would use it, run away, and use it again next time he got. Hit and run dark fog was no fun to play against. I'd still ask for a nerf on the timer as it literally takes you like 2 seconds to get poisoned from it.

And yeah alongside bat staff you get insta-poisoned. It doesn't give you time to escape.

Yeah dark fog with Bat Staff is definitely not easy to roll away from or block. It's basically a free chance for them to toxic you or at least punish you while you chomp moss.

Seems like something that will be patched. Let's not forget all the broken stuff in DS1 PVP this time in its life cycle.

30% roll will NOT help you escape dark fog with the bat staff.

Chomp moss and roll. Dunno what else to tell you brah. Also, you're not the first person in the world to plea for a nerf to a setup that is OP. Here's an idea. Keep an avelyn in your off-hand and wreck foggers like that.

Mistel

Banned
I've PvPed plenty of good players that coped with my dark fog just fine. <50% is still too heavy. Go for <30%. You don't need heavy armor in PvP. If you're depending on a shield, you're going to get guard broken by anyone who's half-way decent. If you're depending on heavy armor, you're going to have your high equip load exploited.
Depending on what your wearing heavy armor isn't a burden at all it's probably a benefit once upgraded.

Sullichin

Chomp moss and roll. Dunno what else to tell you brah. Also, you're not the first person in the world to plea for a nerf to a setup that is OP. Here's an idea. Keep an avelyn in your off-hand and wreck foggers like that.

That's the worst advice ever, counter one broken build with another. I'm not crying about it. I don't care when I die in PVP. I like to have fun and use the weapons I like. Simply stating the obvious fact that there is still some balancing to be done in PVP, dark fog with the bat staff being one of the worst offenders.

At this point I took the good from his advice of 'use lighter armor' since it's true that I tend to not get hit and always dodge, so there's no point in higher defense. But I'm kind of ignoring the 'bro git gud you suck' implications. If something needs to get nerfed, it'd have to be this. At least for PvP. If not Nerf, then at the very least make my Perseverance Miracle block all status changes.

That's the worst advice ever, counter one broken build with another. I'm not crying about it. I don't care when I die in PVP. I like to have fun and use the weapons I like. Simply stating the obvious fact that there is still some balancing to be done in PVP, dark fog with the bat staff being one of the worst offenders because there's really no counter.

The counter is to catch them and wreck them before the fog wrecks you, whether with avelyn or something else.

Sullichin

Is Dark Fog really toxic? I thought it was just poison. AFAIK the only toxic-inflicting PC attack in the game is from mytha's bent blade.

I'll tell that to all the Haveler's I've 2-shotted.

No it's just poison, but it does more damage than most poison I believe, and it builds up instantly.

Dark Fog does more toxic DPS than Poison/Toxic Mist. And it also has the added bullshit that Bat staff's toxic/poison power-ups seem to not work on anything BESIDES Dark Fog. It adds the bonus of insta-poisoning you, and since it lowers your health faster than anything else it IS kinda bullshit. I've learned now to have life gems with me to counter-act the life lowering. But wasting my consumables against a spell is kind of bullshit. Not to mention if there's any lag whatsoever any chance you had to dodge is gone.

I can also say that heavy armor when done right, can be good. They can be under 70%. If the guy has the right armor to counter say lightning, then one like me is fucked because they do a CRAPLOAD of damage to me and my DGS does shit to them.

Tell that to all the people I've murdered then? See two can play the same game...

I'm not the one crying about fog. If he refuses to drop down to light armor for fast rolls, and refuses to chomp moss, then he's just another crybaby nerf whiner. This is coming from someone who has never and probably will never use the bat staff + fog setup. I've PvPed a metric ass-ton and have yet to run into someone like that (then again, I've never run into a trainer user yet either), so it's probably not common enough to make a fuss over. Any pure fogger is going to get wrecked by any havelyn or hexer anyways. It's rock paper scissors.

Sullichin

The counter is to catch them and wreck them before the fog wrecks you, whether with avelyn or something else.

Whatever man, I'm just saying I doubt they intended the combination of Dark Fog and the Bat staff to work as it does now, and I expect it to be patched in the future. It's not like I never win against these fools.
I'm not the one crying about fog. If he refuses to drop down to light armor for fast rolls, and refuses to chomp moss, then he's just another crybaby nerf whiner. This is coming from someone who has never and probably will never use the bat staff + fog setup. I've PvPed a metric ass-ton and have yet to run into someone like that, so it's probably not common enough to make a fuss over. Any pure fogger is going to get wrecked by any havelyn or hexer anyways. It's rock paper scissors.
You're.. kind of an asshole.

Whatever man, I'm just saying I doubt they intended the combination of Dark Fog and the Bat staff to work as it does now, and I expect it to be patched in the future. It's not like I never win against these fools.

Why wouldn't they have? Notice how another player just pointed out that bat staff's poison buff literally ONLY works with dark fog. There's nothing else it works with. If that's not an indication of intentional design, then I don't know what is.

Jesus Christ man I was asking for advice and providing counters to your argument on PvP. No need to become an asshat elitist.

I gave you a metric ass-ton of advice, but you kept falling back on the same tired excuses. Moss chomping is too expensive, <50% rolling is fast enough (it's not), avelyn is too OP, etc. etc.

Without Bat Staff you can still roll away and not get poisoned instantly. It's possible to beat them, but at the same time it's possible to beat people abusing the backstep/parry glitch or the double avelyns.

Without Bat Staff you can still roll away and not get poisoned instantly. It's possible to beat them, but at the same time it's possible to beat people abusing the backstep/parry glitch or the double avelyns.

If you really insist on refusing to chomp moss, then bum rush them from the start and ignore the poison while trying to wreck their face before the poison wrecks you. Also, if you're <30% rolling, and also decked out in anti-poison gear, maybe you'll be able to roll out before the poison gets fully inflicted on you. Try the ring of resistance + poisonbite ring together with whatever is the highest poison-resist light armor/cloth. Try Agdayne's set. That appears to be one of the highest if not the highest poison resist armor set.

Stop wearing your heavy and/or high PDEF armor. The only melee fighters that can't be easily dealt with using guard break and/or parry are the phantom katana abusers. If it's a melee on melee fight, pretty much the first one who gets parried or has their guard broken is going to lose. Remember to switch to a dagger before triggering the post-guardbreak/post-parry critical attack though. That +10 dagger does epic critical damage.

HoosTrax

I had this happen last night, wished I had screenshotted it. It would have shown a mummy knight in Lost Bastille thrusting his polearm through a chest high wall, knocking a chunk out of my health. The tip of it was literally clipping straight through the stone and hitting me on the other side of the wall.

Course, whenever I swing my own weapon while standing in a doorway, it's guaranteed to collide with something non-existent and bounce off.

Also, the fire breath from the wyverns in Dragon Aerie clipping straight through the stone walls is pure BS.

Sullichin

I had this happen last night, wished I had screenshotted it. [BI]t would have shown a mummy knight in Lost Bastille thrusting his polearm through a chest high wall, knocking a chunk out of my health. The tip of it was literally clipping straight through the stone and hitting me on the other side of the wall.[/B]

Course, whenever I swing my own weapon while standing in a doorway, it's guaranteed to collide with something non-existent and bounce off.

Also, the fire breath from the wyverns in Dragon Aerie clipping straight through the stone walls is pure BS.

There's no worse offender for this than the Titanite Demon in the small room in Anor Londo in the first Dark Souls.

Sullichin

Oh, I don't think I've ran into anyone that had a bat staff.

You'd know because it's almost impossible to avoid getting poisoned.

ComaPrison, I'd like to see a video of people rolling through Bat staff dark fog and not getting poisoned. Rolling through it is not a feasible safe strategy even at 30%.

Shitty double post

Mistel

Banned
I'm not the one crying about fog. If he refuses to drop down to light armor for fast rolls, and refuses to chomp moss, then he's just another crybaby nerf whiner.
Your the one informing everyone else how to play to meet your standards without substitute. I don't see how you have the grounds to call someone a "crybaby nerf whinner" as you so eloquently put it.
Also can clip you vertically too through a wall and the ground.

You'd know because it's almost impossible to avoid getting poisoned.

ComaPrison, I'd like to see a video of people rolling through Bat staff dark fog and not getting poisoned. Rolling through it is not a feasible safe strategy even at 30%.

Shitty double post

Try ring of resistance + poison bite ring + agdayne's set. Just because it hasn't been uploaded as a video doesn't mean it hasn't happened. You could also try bum rushing the caster and wreck him before the poison eats through your HP.

I gave you a metric ass-ton of advice, but you kept falling back on the same tired excuses. Moss chomping is too expensive, <50% rolling is fast enough (it's not), avelyn is too OP, etc. etc.

I already said I'm going to try the less weight trick. But somebody else just said that < 30% won't let you avoid bat staff/dark fog. I wasn't the one that said avelyn is too OP. That doesn't change the fact that others called you out and you resorted to basically insulting me and my skills. That's just not proper etiquette, I don't want to see that on GAF that's like IGN forums attitude.

If you really insist on refusing to chomp moss, then bum rush them from the start and ignore the poison while trying to wreck their face before the poison wrecks you. Also, if you're <30% rolling, and also decked out in anti-poison gear, maybe you'll be able to roll out before the poison gets fully inflicted on you. Try the ring of resistance + poisonbite ring together with whatever is the highest poison-resist light armor/cloth. Try Agdayne's set. That appears to be one of the highest if not the highest poison resist armor set.

I never said I refused to chomp moss, just that the underlying issue here is that if the only counter to a spell is "have a crapload of a consumable" then there is a clear balancing issue. I literally have not come across another combination that can't be countered with dodging or changing weapons. I tried poisonbite ring and ring of resistance AND the perseverance miracle. It did jack shit and I still got insta-poisoned. You can call it nerf whining. But there are clear combinations that need to get nerfed because they are too strong. If you are a beast at the game that absolutely wrecks shop and are as incandescent as the motherfucking sun all to you my friend, but there was NO need for the attitude when everybody else was being constructive.

Your the one informing everyone else how to play to meet your standards without substitute. I don't see how you have the grounds to call someone a "crybaby nerf whinner" as you so eloquently put it.

Also can clip you vertically too through a wall and the ground.

Sometimes there are only a limited number of tactics for dealing with certain builds. This is likely one of them. If you refuse to accept that very basic reality, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Sullichin

Try ring of resistance + poison bite ring + agdayne's set. Just because it hasn't been uploaded as a video doesn't mean it hasn't happened. You could also try bum rushing the caster and wreck him before the poison eats through your HP.

I should be able to roll through it with good timing like I do with every other spell without needing incredibly specialized equipment to deal with this one attack. Bumrushing is usually what I do. Mossing is what they want you to do because that's a free GRS.

I should be able to roll through it with good timing like I do with every other spell without needing incredibly specialized equipment to deal with this one attack. Bumrushing is usually what I do. Mossing is what they want you to do because that's a free GRS.

Then don't moss. Bum rush them and end the fight before the poison ends you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom