• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already said I'm going to try the less weight trick. But somebody else just said that < 30% won't let you avoid bat staff/dark fog. I wasn't the one that said avelyn is too OP. That doesn't change the fact that others called you out and you resorted to basically insulting me and my skills. That's just not proper etiquette, I don't want to see that on GAF that's like IGN forums attitude.

I never said I refused to chomp moss, just that the underlying issue here is that if the only counter to a spell is "have a crapload of a consumable" then there is a clear balancing issue. I literally have not come across another combination that can't be countered with dodging or changing weapons. I tried poisonbite ring and ring of resistance AND the perseverance miracle. It did jack shit and I still got insta-poisoned. You can call it nerf whining. But there are clear combinations that need to get nerfed because they are too strong. If you are a beast at the game that absolutely wrecks shop and are as incandescent as the motherfucking sun all to you my friend, but there was NO need for the attitude when everybody else was being constructive.

Try Agdayne's set on top of those two rings as well. Somebody else "said" <30% is still too fat, but I see no evidence of that and no reason to believe that person. Until I've tested it myself, I have no reason to just buy what he's selling. If you wanna believe everything you hear, go for it. I've been plenty constructive with the metric ton of advice I've given you, but I have limited patience for someone who has an excuse for why he thinks every suggestion is invalid.

I should be able to roll through it with good timing like I do with every other spell without needing incredibly specialized equipment to deal with this one attack. Bumrushing is usually what I do. Mossing is what they want you to do because that's a free GRS.

And I should be able to have a homing GRS that carries a bat staffed dark fog aura with it as it travels. Sometimes we don't get what we think we should get. Just because you "think" you should be able to roll through it doesn't mean you get to. Deal with it.

Bum rushing is currently my tactic, and it has worked maybe 50% of the time when the guy doesn't just run away or dodge, or wait until I use poison moss to attack. But the original post was meant to ask if there's a proper counter. If somebody can confirm that the incredibly specific combination of the armor with the rings helps then that's slightly better (?) but considering that I have yet to use a specific armor combination for any other type of OP abuse, there's a clear issue with the balancing. The game has issues.

Stet

Banned
And I should be able to have a homing GRS that carries a bat staffed dark fog aura with it as it travels. Sometimes we don't get what we think we should get. Just because you "think" you should be able to roll through it doesn't mean you get to. Deal with it.

Talking about balance isn't nearly the emotional crisis you think it is.

Mistel

Banned
Sometimes there are only a limited number of tactics for dealing with certain builds. This is likely one of them. If you refuse to accept that very basic reality, then I don't know what else to tell you.
Just a mere observation no need to get argumentative about it and question the logical abilities of someone.

Bum rushing is currently my tactic, and it has worked maybe 50% of the time when the guy doesn't just run away or dodge, or wait until I use poison moss to attack. But the original post was meant to ask if there's a proper counter. If somebody can confirm that the incredibly specific combination of the armor with the rings helps then that's slightly better (?) but considering that I have yet to use a specific armor combination for any other type of OP abuse, there's a clear issue with the balancing. The game has issues.

There are different specialized shields and armors that are best at resisting certain elements. I keep a magic infused magic shield for casters, and a dark infused transgressor's leather shield for hexers. Just because a lazy melee character has been able to headbutt his way through everything (without specializing) so far doesn't mean that the need to specialize a counter is indicative of a game imbalance. Also, Agdayne's happens to be the lightweight one specialized for poison, so try it.

Sullichin

I am "dealing with it" I don't understand your point at all. I'm not slitting my fucking wrists over this. It sounds like you're the one who's upset.

Exactly.
And anyone's free to not believe me that 30% equip weight doesn't help ME dodge Dark Fog with the bat staff. With this information in mind, I wouldn't suggest 30% weight as something to try.

I'll at the very least have Agdayne's handy if I fight a guy that abuses dark fog so I can switch armor when the fight starts and see if it helps. And I was already planning on changing armors I guess. I still hope that something is done about it though. And I appreciate that you dropped the snark, makes the discussion much more constructive.

I am "dealing with it" I don't understand your point at all. I'm not slitting my fucking wrists over this. It sounds like you're the one who's upset.

Exactly.
And anyone's free to not believe me that 30% equip weight help ME dodge Dark Fog with the bat staff. With this information in mind, I wouldn't suggest 30% weight as something to try.

Were you 30%ing with ring of resistance + poison bite ring + agdayne's set? If not, you have more testing to do. Agdayne's set ALONE adds 165 poison resist at +5. Ring of resistance adds another 12% and poisonbite adds 15%.

Do luck boosting items stack? I'm having a hard time getting rare drops.

As far as anyone can tell, they stack. It doesn't appear to stack "flatly" though. The theory so far is that it stacks in a way such that if you wear two items that give (for example) 20% each, you'll end up with 24%.

Sullichin

Were you 30%ing with ring of resistance + poison bite ring + agdayne's set? If not, you have more testing to do. Agdayne's set alone adds 165 poison resist at +5

No I wasn't and I simply should not need all of this gear to be able to avoid a fucking instant poison cloud that my opponent doesn't even have to try to aim. But we're just going in circles here because you think that's balanced and I don't. So I'm done talking about this.

No I wasn't and I simply should not need all of this gear to be able to avoid a fucking instant poison cloud that my opponent doesn't even have to try to aim. But we're just going in circles here because you think that's balanced and I don't. So I'm done talking about this.

LOL yeah you're totally right. Specialized builds shouldn't require specialized counter-builds. To a hammer, everything looks like a f-ing nail. When hammer meets something that doesn't respond like a nail, moan and whine like Sullichin. That's how we dark souls. Got it.

The next time someone casts GRS, I'll block it with my royal kite shield instead of my dark transgressor's leather shield. Why? Because I shouldn't have to use specific gear to counter a specific attack. When the GRS kills me because royal kite shield is ass at blocking dark, I'll come on neogaf and cry for a GRS nerf. Cuz you know, it's not my fault for using the wrong tool for the job.

Sullichin

LOL yeah you're totally right. Specialized builds shouldn't require specialized counter-builds. To a hammer, everything looks like a f-ing nail. When hammer meets something that doesn't respond like a nail, moan and whine like Sullichin. That's how we dark souls. Got it.

The next time someone casts GRS, I'll block it with my royal kite shield instead of my dark transgressor's leather shield. When the GRS kills me because royal kite shield is ass at blocking dark, I'll come on neogaf and cry for a GRS nerf. Cuz you know, it's not my fault for using the wrong tool for the job.

Don't know where you came from but I liked these threads a lot better without you being incredibly hostile toward everyone. You're right, everything in the game is perfect and balanced as it is and we shouldn't even bother talking about it.

Don't know where you came from but I liked these threads a lot better without you being incredibly hostile toward everyone. You're right, everything in the game is perfect and balanced as it is and we shouldn't even bother talking about it.

lol I never said it was perfect and balanced, but you insist that you should be able to use the wrong tool for the job and still get away with it. sorry but just because you refuse to ditch your vanity build (fashion souls amirite) to counter it doesn't mean the bat staff needs a nerf.

Stet

Banned

The next time someone casts GRS, I'll block it with my royal kite shield instead of my dark transgressor's leather shield. Why? Because I shouldn't have to use specific gear to counter a specific attack. When the GRS kills me because royal kite shield is ass at blocking dark, I'll come on neogaf and cry for a GRS nerf. Cuz you know, it's not my fault for using the wrong tool for the job.

The point is to have a PVP experience that doesn't require putting hundreds of hours into the game to have equipment and stats that will nullify every build around. You sound like you think you're talking on Ventrilo right now.

This whole bonfire asthetic thing is brand new to me.

Just found out about it a few days ago. This game has so many nuances and complex aspects you could spend months unearthing its deeper mechanics.

The point is to have a PVP experience that doesn't require putting hundreds of hours into the game to have equipment and stats that will nullify every build around. You sound like you think you're talking on Ventrilo right now.

It doesn't take hundreds of hours to collect everything needed for countering dark/lightning/fire/magic/poison/physical/etc. Also, hyperbolizing like that doesn't help your case.

You sound really entitled right now. Nobody ever said you were entitled to having a perfect PvP build that doesn't require switching up for countering other specific tactics. In fact, any game that lets one type of build cover all the bases is a boring as heck game.

Jesus man why'd you bring back the snark and offensive sarcasm. Acting like you are right now might get you in trouble. Let's just talk with logic here. Changing armor mid-fight is not much of an option unless you're expecting to have to fight a dude. Changing a shield? Yeah that's an option, it's one piece of equipment vs 4.

AngryMoth

Right, done waiting for soul memory to be patched. Gonna level up past 150 and become an unstoppable hexing, ruler's sword using, fast rolling tank.

Stet

Banned
It doesn't take hundreds of hours to collect everything needed for countering dark/lightning/fire/magic/poison/physical/etc. Also, hyperbolizing like that doesn't help your case.

You sound really entitled right now. Nobody ever said you were entitled to having a perfect PvP build that doesn't require switching up for countering other specific tactics. In fact, any game that lets one type of build cover all the bases is a boring as heck game.

It's not entitled to have legitimate questions about design. This seems to be the fundamental misunderstanding causing you to have trouble socializing with the group in the thread.

didamangi

name of armor pls...

You mean this one right?

46F35D7401B33335A0CF6FFBA0E8811C964674F0

Faraam

edit: beaten like my character in ds2.

The argument Sullichin is making is not that ONE set of armor should be able to do everything. He's arguing that specifically for this case of insta-toxic you shouldn't need to completely rechange your armor for only THIS situation when no other time has there been a need to change armor to counter something.

There's armor for fire damage. But I've yet to see somebody switch to Smelter Demon armor to counter fire damage because fire damage is still manageable with dodges and blocking with regular shield for the most part. Same with lightning and everything else. Hexes? Magic? Dodge them. The issue here is that it's near impossible to dodge Bat staff/Dark Fog. Everything else is manageable with dodging for most people in most armor.

Jesus man why'd you bring back the snark and offensive sarcasm. Acting like you are right now might get you in trouble. Let's just talk with logic here. Changing armor mid-fight is not much of an option unless you're expecting to have to fight a dude. Changing a shield? Yeah that's an option, it's one piece of equipment vs 4.

I never recommended changing armor mid-fight. I'm saying that if you're really running into bat staff foggers so frequently that it's ruining your experience, you're better off gearing specifically against it and handling melee opponents strictly through roll, backstep, parry, guard break, backstab, etc. You don't need high pdef/heavy armor to kill melee fighters.

Also, I'm plenty familiar with the TOS. The most relevant part of it is here:

"Do not post disingenuously, or in an inflammatory manner for the sole purpose of upsetting others. Negative commentary and minority opinions are not frowned upon, but members are expected to be able to substantiate their positions"

I'm neither being disingenuous, nor am I being inflammatory for the sole purpose of upsetting others. My negative commentary has been fully substantiated with logical rebuttals at every point. Sure, I have some snark and sarcasm in there, but if that's against the rules (which it isn't), then this is a boring forum.

If a mod feels that he or she is entitled to interpret the TOS beyond the explicit bounds of what has been listed in the TOS page, then that is his or her choice. That a mod would be free to do so reflects poorly on the forum however, and on the admin's selection process for mods.

Also, I may be listed as a junior member, but I've been on NeoGAF almost a year longer than you have been. I simply haven't been actively posting until relatively recently. I was plenty content to lurk until some specific games really caught my interest (DS2, SS and now SS delta, etc.) Seeing as how a post like "k thanks" contributes towards a poster's eventual status as a "full" member, I find the utility of these "member" and "junior member" labels to be highly dubious.

Uthred

It also kinda sucks protection wise

The distribution of stats on armour could do with some rebalancing, theres always a very clear "Best in show" option for each "Weight class". It was an issue with the other games as well, though really, once you start pushing into NG most things will make shit of you no matter the armour so you can just fashion souls it up.

Temidien

Neo Member
I think all parties currently upset with each other and the comments being made in this thread should take a step back, maybe browse some other threads for a while, and come back once things have cooled down.

The community is what we make of it. Petty remarks and reacting to petty remarks just bring everything down.

I wasn't trying to say I'm better than you man and if you got that from my post that's my bad. Regardless this is the point I'm stepping off, I gotta travel to another city anyways. I'll be back later once I come back to mention how Llewellyn PvP goes like. Later guys.

eot

Banned
There's something wrong about the fact that it takes less stamina for me to block the mace wielding Drakekeeper with my medium shield than to dodge his attacks. He two shots me but barely takes any stamina to block.

Also, how do you avoid AD's flame breath?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think all parties currently upset with each other and the comments being made in this thread should take a step back, maybe browse some other threads for a while, and come back once things have cooled down.

The community is what we make of it. Petty remarks and reacting to petty remarks just bring everything down.
EPIzkuD.png

Thrakier

I have to say, it's really annoying that so far I found not ONE piece of equipment that is better than dragonleic armor or my DLC club from the beginning. 30 hours in! Not one! This game would benefit of at least SOME diablo-esque loot if you ask me.

Uthred

I have to say, it's really annoying that so far I found not ONE piece of equipment that is better than dragonleic armor or my DLC club from the beginning. 30 hours in! Not one! This game would benefit of at least SOME diablo-esque loot if you ask me.

Drangleic armour is ridiculous

There are tons of weapons better than the DLC Homunculus Mace. You have to consider movesets, stamina usage and stat scaling, but generally, Strike weapons do very well in this game due to so many armored enemies.

There are some other great armors too when you upgrade them. In the end though, armor doesn't make a huge difference, hence #FashionSouls.

Upgraded standard armor can offer similar if not better protection at a fraction of the weight of the Drangleic. And unlike the Drangleic set, they don't need the incredibly rare twinkling titanite to upgrade.

Thrakier

Upgraded standard armor can offer similar if not better protection at a fraction of the weight of the Drangleic. And unlike the Drangleic set, they don't need the incredibly rare twinkling titanite to upgrade.

Really? To be honest I didn't even try to upgrade any armor because Drangleic just seems so much more powerful. I didn't invest my twinkling titanites either though.

ElFly

Really? To be honest I didn't even try to upgrade any armor because Drangleic just seems so much more powerful. I didn't invest my twinkling titanites either though.

If you spend enough money at the depressed merchant in Majula, he will start selling bosses' armor. He will also improve his mood. Twice.

Some late bosses armor are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom