• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

ugh, did a reformat thinking the game used steam cloud.

time to start again I guess, any interesting builds to try out?

Banzai

Meet my witch:
lR76omn.jpg

Ggj77Ni.jpg

e3UOqaw.jpg

Finally got my envisioned equipment after reaching Dragon Shrine.
Now the problem with her is that I feel really weak. Magic does a good amount of damage, but the number of casts is just too small to use it as the main mode of attack. I carry an additional Magic Uchigatana+10 and a Magic Mace+9, but their damage is not exactly impressive, mostly because the INT-scaling is stuck at B. Should I have gotten Enchanted weapons instead? What else could i do to improve?

I remember my witch builds in Des and DS1 were much stronger, but I had weapons with S-INT-scaling there.

Jintor

That's some good fashion souls.

I dunno what to do. I kinda want to go all fashion souls, but I don't really have anything to do. Can I fashion souls and NG+ it and not really lose out on belltower/other covenants when I switch over? I don't really get where soul memory does and doesn't apply

Fellow93

Neo Member
That's some good fashion souls.

I dunno what to do. I kinda want to go all fashion souls, but I don't really have anything to do. Can I fashion souls and NG+ it and not really lose out on belltower/other covenants when I switch over? I don't really get where soul memory does and doesn't apply

I read somewhere that SL doesn't matter at all, what matters is SM. There is some specified range from which you can summon and be summoned. Also if you're in NG+ you can only connect with people in NG+ or higher. There is also treshold of 12 milion SM after which even SM doesn't matter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok so i got 30 int/faith (actually 31 but I only lvled to 30 dunno whats up with that) and 30 atn on my sorc

time to start lvling defensive stats now?

Garcia

Well, farming the Giant Lord is definitely the best option in the game. Got 3 Million souls in less than 30 minutes last night. o_o

Vitor711

Grab a Black Knight Halberd and feel like death itself.

Black Knight Halberd maxed out and a +10 Large Club are all the Str. goodness I need.

Occasionally carry around a +10 fire broadsword for faster, smaller enemies. Its wide slashing arc will hit enemies in front and behind you which is a bit ridiculous.

valouris

I finally started this bad boy, and I am currently stuck with
the trio in Lost Bastille

I just wanted to ask if there are any mods that are absolutely essential to playing the game. Game runs perfectly fine on my not-that-new rig, smooth and silky, not sure if I even wanna try GeDoSaTo as I am pleased with how it looks for now, and don't want to compromise internet, or performance. Is there anything else noteworthy I should be aware of?

Kamina

Golden Boy
I finally started this bad boy, and I am currently stuck with
the trio in Lost Bastille

I just wanted to ask if there are any mods that are absolutely essential to playing the game. Game runs perfectly fine on my not-that-new rig, smooth and silky, not sure if I even wanna try GeDoSaTo as I am pleased with how it looks for now, and don't want to compromise internet, or performance. Is there anything else noteworthy I should be aware of?
Just enjoy the game and be weary of illusory wall ahead.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This may have been discussed already, but have other people noticed that Aldia's Keep seems like a much more "finished" area than most of the rest of the game in terms of lighting, set decoration detail, and geometry? It's still not up to pre-downgrade standards, but it seems closer than most places. I wonder if it was one of the first areas they built out completely. What little I've seen of the Aerie also looks pretty hot. Maybe it's just the outdoor lighting quality, though.

Or am I imagining things?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
This may have been discussed already, but have other people noticed that Aldia's Keep seems like a much more "finished" area than most of the rest of the game in terms of lighting, set decoration detail, and geometry? It's still not up to pre-downgrade standards, but it seems closer than most places. I wonder if it was one of the first areas they built out completely. What little I've seen of the Aerie also looks pretty hot. Maybe it's just the outdoor lighting quality, though.

Or am I imagining things?

Well, Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie were among the areas first shown in the gameplay reveal back in April 2013.

Vitor711

Thanks guys, glad to know you can farm them. Hesitant about the Bonfire method of making the whole damn area harder.

Honestly, the boost in difficulty is negligible in some areas. I'd say it's worth it. The only areas it could be questionable are where the bosses get added help in the form of minions. But it doesn't sound like you want to farm bosses. Although, if you wanted to, I'd say the one at the end of
Black Gulch and Iron Keep
are the best two. Easy to dodge moves and big soul payout for little effort and virtually no trek to the actual boss arena makes it easily repeatable.

Most areas don't see much in terms of additional enemies barring a few red phantoms and those aren't generally that much tougher than the normal enemies. They do respawn though - only named phantoms don't. You'll also see more of both with an ascetic.

garath

What a productive night last night. I didn't kill any bosses but I accomplished a few (newbie) things (don't know how much I have to spoiler in this thread but I'll be polite just in case):

- found that estus shard in the well lol. That was kind of an accident.
- Aggro'd Heide? (the big white guy up against the tree up the ladder near the first bonfire in Giant's forest), killed him and got his sword. Any repercussions from that? whoops
- Got the fire sword. Now to try dual wielding fire sword and heide's sword lol

Tried to save up for the reduced falling damage ring to jump down the hole. Kind of expensive for a low 20s character though. Worth doing now?

Trying to find decent light weight armor. Bought some leather armor but it wasn't a big upgrade over the bandit. I'm annoyed that you don't see the comparison when buying armor. I had to keep exiting to look at my current armor.

There's like 3 or 4 viable ways of going right now. I guess I need to pick one. I must be pretty close to a boss each way. I just keep going back and forth in areas exploring a little deeper in each.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can find around 8 in one run-through. Haven't reached
Dragon Eerie
yet in NG+ but I already have 2 fully upgraded (+5) boss weapons right now.

this is not true at all, I could fully upgrade 1 boss weapon on my tank character when i finished the game, and it takes 15 to upgrade fully

Vitor711

this is not true at all, I could fully upgrade 1 boss weapon on my tank character when i finished the game, and it takes 15 to upgrade fully

I'm on my second run through. Had more luck with drops in NG+ with the
Golden Covetous Ring +2
, hence the 2 fully upgraded bossed weapons.

Upgraded
Smelter sword
almost completely during my first run and am not putting the items into my second fun time/FashionSouls weapon of choice.

EDIT: See what you mean. I meant 8 in the world, the rest I got from drops. Sorry for the confusion.

Haunted

What do you think the significance of this is?

iQz7OUPm8uiEz.png
That's clearly the world tree Yggdrasil, with two human figures standing beneath, most likely Lloyd and Colette, representi- oh wait, wrong RPG.

btw that's the graphic they use on the bonfire website for all the stats.

just got to
dragon's shrine
. and this is the first area REALLY (over 2 hours) giving me trouble. im sl 120 dex/strength build.

the stairway leading up to the ancient dragon is like a no fun zone. i haven't had any luck kiting the knights individually and once the smaller bronze guys show up they wreck me. i'm using a +10 blacksteel katana, vengarl's armor and a gyrm shield.

any strategies to consistently get past this area?

Tried to save up for the reduced falling damage ring to jump down the hole. Kind of expensive for a low 20s character though. Worth doing now?

I would say no. I'm in the 90's and am just going down that path. The two other areas are more prefered for lower levels. If you killed the Heide knight, you are on the "correct" path.

ElFly

iQz7OUPm8uiEz.png

I've looked at that tree multiple times and cannot come up with anything.

I guess the most obvious thing, is that it represents the great trees that hold up the world, and after you beat the boss that's down that corridor, you get to descend down into the roots of those trees. Also guess the things around it are human silhouettes, but could be wrong. They could be negative space from the things that hang from the tree branches.

The soldier bust before it looks like no helmet in the game. I think it resembles ....Syan? Which would make sense, but Syan's helmet doesn't have the crest. Also, the eye opening is wider. Also, the weapon in front of it is not a sword, so it also cannot represent LGK, and it's not a mace, so it's not Velstadt. That leaves Raime, but the only piece of equipment we have of him is the Shield of the Rebel, so we cannot say.

It is interesting that this tree is used in the farfire website to represent people who have beat the game. Particularly because it represents people who beat it with lights, which resemble fireflies, which remind me of the opening. But I have to wonder if the people who made the farfire website have anything to do with the guy who did this engraving.

garath

iQz7OUPm8uiEz.png

Damn.. Your graphics look great. I left my textures on medium and I can really see the difference. I'll have to see if I can keep the frame rate up with a higher detail level. That's just impressive looking.

I would say no. I'm in the 90's and am just going down that path. The two other areas are more prefered for lower levels. If you killed the Heide knight, you are on the "correct" path.

Ah. It's a path. I thought there was just treasure. Definitely waiting then. Thanks :)

Haunted

just got to
dragon's shrine
. and this is the first area REALLY (over 2 hours) giving me trouble. im sl 120 dex/strength build.

the stairway leading up to the ancient dragon is like a no fun zone. i haven't had any luck kiting the knights individually and once the smaller bronze guys show up they wreck me. i'm using a +10 blacksteel katana, vengarl's armor and a gyrm shield.

any strategies to consistently get past this area?
Whittle at least one of them down with your ranged weapon/magic of choice, you can also use leashing tricks on the big guys once you retreat through the small door.

The smaller guys can be kited one by one, also backstabbed/parried what have you. They're not easy by any means, but at SL120, they should definitely be doable.

That said, to do what you have to do to advance the story, you only need to get past them once, not consistently. :D

The exterior forest of Forest of the Giants was pretty shitty looking in console. On pc it is passable.

I'm not super far into the game now (only 2/4 giant souls), but I still think FotFG is my favorite level. Not based on looks, but to me it felt like a * Souls Level. Really based on shortcuts and the variety of the level. Really enjoyed it, havn't found anything that really compares yet.

ElFly

I'm not super far into the game now (only 2/4 giant souls), but I still think FotFG is my favorite level. Not based on looks, but to me it felt like a * Souls Level. Really based on shortcuts and the variety of the level. Really enjoyed it, havn't found anything that really compares yet.

Lost Bastille is more mono-thematic but also has a structure that seems more complex and involved, and also is constructed as what it says it is.

Lost Bastille is more mono-thematic but also has a structure that seems more complex and involved, and also is constructed as what it says it is.
Agree. FOFG is Souls-y in it's layout (I wish it didn't have that Undead Burg green moss brick everywhere though). But Lost Bastille is a classic Souls area to me, it feels like one of the levels they put the most work into. I also like No Man's Wharf a lot too.

In terms of level layout, overall I prefer the early part of the game, even if the latter part is prettier to look at.

Grief.exe

If you can get through the Shrine of Amana without dying, then hats off to you. Place is just a death gauntlet designed to cause frustration.

I died once through the boss as I was pushed off a narrow ledge by one of the demons of Dark. Tough place.

iQz7OUPm8uiEz.png
Damn.. Your graphics look great. I left my textures on medium and I can really see the difference. I'll have to see if I can keep the frame rate up with a higher detail level. That's just impressive looking.

I'm also downsampling a bit from 1296p, so keep that in mind. Allows me to get some benefits from the practice without running into diminishing returns and the massive performance requirements.

elohel

So I summoned lucatiel at sinners rise right before lost sinner and I was walking beside her on the path to the boss and she walked off and died

:(

EasyMode

So I summoned lucatiel at sinners rise right before lost sinner and I was walking beside her on the path to the boss and she walked off and died

:(

She did the exact same thing to me in the same area. No enemies around, she just walked into the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom