• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing this game a second time on NG is so much easier. Like, near laughable with the exception of Belfry Luna. Can't even walk in there and have time to lay a sign down before the raiding happens.

Newboi

I'm lagging way behind everyone else, but I just beat the Skeleton Lords in Huntsman's Corpse. I've been cooping at the boss for awhile.

I've been very torn though on how to distribute my upgrade points. I'm a Str build and I have 30 STR and 12 DEX right now. I'm wondering if I should stop pumping points in to STR and focus on Vigor and Endurance?

My Vitality is at 14 right now I believe.

Arkanius

I'm lagging way behind everyone else, but I just beat the Skeleton Lords in Huntsman's Corpse. I've been cooping at the boss for awhile.

I've been very torn though on how to distribute my upgrade points. I'm a Str build and I have 30 STR and 12 DEX right now. I'm wondering if I should stop pumping points in to STR and focus on Vigor and Endurance?

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/stats

It's recommended to never go over the softcaps.

What do you think the significance of this is?

iQz7OUPm8uiEz.png
I'd like to think that bust / plaque originally had a gameplay purpose attached to it with how it stands out, namely a more intuitive method of getting summoned by the Looking Glass Knight. Just baseless conjecture on my part though, given how unnecessarily 'complicated' it is to invade someone else's world for that specific boss fight.

This was also scrapped from that area, sadly:

"They will stand in a room filled with candles, leading to a long marble gallery, seemingly part of an antiquated mansion or castle. We're told that the candles in the bonfire room light up with every player's death at the hands of the Mirror Knight."

Grief.exe

With the way scaling works in this game, just pump STR/DEX for your weapons and then focus on your health and stamina for a bit.

You will get much more immediate damage from just upgrading your weapons.

Ah. I only have one 560, but have kept a pretty solid 60fps so far (outside of Earthen Peak, some drops there). I might try and bump up a bit and see what kind of hit I take. Not doing anything external yet, just 1080p and maxed.

I do not have the upgraded 448 version however.

560 ti's are an amazing card. The only problem going into this generation of console is the VRAM limitations.

Lucatiel was buffed so the bosses don't stomp over her, and she even tanks pretty well.

But I've had her die on the Wharf, and plain old not enter Smelter so fuck her.

That happened to me too lol. Beat him by myself on NG+, was funny to see her health bobbing just outside the fog door.

ElFly

So I summoned lucatiel at sinners rise right before lost sinner and I was walking beside her on the path to the boss and she walked off and died

:(

Lucatiel was buffed so the bosses don't stomp over her, and she even tanks pretty well.

Aslatiel abandoned you for a reason.

I'd like to think that bust / plaque originally had a gameplay purpose attached to it with how it stands out, namely a more intuitive method of getting summoned by the Looking Glass Knight. Just baseless conjecture on my part though, given how unnecessarily 'complicated' it is to invade someone else's world for that specific boss fight.

That'd make sense.

But I'd rather have them LGK be part of the Belfry covenant.

haha. Glad I got lucky with her then. Managed to keep her alive, even through Smelter. I played meat shield while she wailed away

AngryMoth

I just read this on the wiki about the monastery scimitar: "This weapon's parry frames start instantly when you press your parry key. There is zero delay".

Is this true? If so does that means it's basically the best option in the game for parrying?

Newboi

With the way scaling works in this game, just pump STR/DEX for your weapons and then focus on your health and stamina for a bit.

You will get much more immediate damage from just upgrading your weapons.

I guess I'll just focus on getting my STR rating up to 40 then focus on pumping equal amounts into Vigor and Endurance.

I wondering what's a good stopping point for Vigor and Endurance? I want to get my Faith stat up as well so I can use miracles (particularly healing and lighting based miracles).

Stet

Banned
I got fed up with Lucatiel not doing what I wanted, so I killed her and took her clothes.

Spoilers: her mask is connected to her hat :(

garath

I'm also downsampling a bit from 1296p, so keep that in mind. Allows me to get some benefits from the practice without running into diminishing returns and the massive performance requirements.

Ah. I only have a single 660ti. I doubt I'll be able to downsample and maintain the 60fps I'm enjoying. Still, I'll try kicking everything up to high tonight and see how it goes.

kionedrik

I need a little advice:

I'm currently building a sorcerer/hexer. My goal is 50/30 int/faith and I'm almost there. I'm currently using a +6 rapier with minimal str and dex and, while it does it's job, I feel the need to enchant it. I'm torn between going with magic enchant to take advantage of my high int even though many enemies have high magic resistance, especially bosses, and going with lightning or dark enchant even though my faith isn't that high but the mobs and bosses usually have low resistance to those elements. What should I do?

Blinck

So I'm at a bit of a loss once again, some help ( without much spoilers) would be appreciated!

I believe I'm at or nearing the endgame:

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what my character is doing at this moment. I've retrieved the King's Ring from the now Hollow King ( can you kill him btw? I didn't try to attack him ).
I went to the dragon shrine and spoke to the ancient dragon, and he gave me something to peer into the memories of the giants.
So first of all, what is the lore reason for this? Why did I go to the ancient dragon ( how the hell does he even exist? wasn't the last dragon the everlasting one in dark souls, which is set long ago before DkS2? )
Now I went to the giant behind the king's door, went to the memory and killed the Giant Lord, which gave me a sort of key to the King's Throne. Is this where I should go next? If so, is it in the king's castle ? ( the rainy castle ).
Or am I supposed to go to all of the giant's memories ?
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I am doing in general. I know I'm trying to get rid of the curse, but supposedly wasn't the king that held that secret? Is that why I need to go to the throne room beneath the castle now?

Again, if some of these lore-focused questions will be answered later please no spoilers! I'm just afraid I might already be missing something?

Grief.exe

The Gyrm Great Hammer is amazing for PVP.

The roll + r1 is a quick, horizontal slash perfect for deadangling. The 2-handed R2 catches people off guard with the second spin and sends them flying.

Ah. I only have a single 660ti. I doubt I'll be able to downsample and maintain the 60fps I'm enjoying. Still, I'll try kicking everything up to high tonight and see how it goes.

You could max the game easy with a 660ti.

So I'm at a bit of a loss once again, some help ( without much spoilers) would be appreciated!

I believe I'm at or nearing the endgame:

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what my character is doing at this moment. I've retrieved the King's Ring from the now Hollow King ( can you kill him btw? I didn't try to attack him ).
I went to the dragon shrine and spoke to the ancient dragon, and he gave me something to peer into the memories of the giants.
So first of all, what is the lore reason for this? Why did I go to the ancient dragon ( how the hell does he even exist? wasn't the last dragon the everlasting one in dark souls, which is set long ago before DkS2? )
Now I went to the giant behind the king's door, went to the memory and killed the Giant Lord, which gave me a sort of key to the King's Throne. Is this where I should go next? If so, is it in the king's castle ? ( the rainy castle ).
Or am I supposed to go to all of the giant's memories ?
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I am doing in general. I know I'm trying to get rid of the curse, but supposedly wasn't the king that held that secret? Is that why I need to go to the throne room beneath the castle now?

Again, if some of these lore-focused questions will be answered later please no spoilers! I'm just afraid I might already be missing something?

You are very much on the right track with the ancient dragon explanation. The soul you get on his defeat and some item descriptions yield more pieces to the puzzle.
You probably just forgot, but if you port to the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle, all questions will be answered as to where to go next.
As for the other giant memories, their hate for King Vendrick continues on.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i really need that fucking staff that is also a chime, im not even using the hexes that need chimes (the more powerful ones lol) because I just cba switching between staff and chime (and sword) all the time. undead crypt is so far away too :(

speaking of hexes, I could use more dark orbs. the dmg is nice, its only 1 slot and uses the staff. I have 2 atm which gives me like 48, i could use a third

Jito

Banned
Why the hell are the
dragons
so easy in the
Dragon Aerie
. Feels really anti climatic fighting them.

There is so much to do in this game. And every time I get stuck somewhere, I find a new area I can open up somewhere else.

Really loving it so far.

didamangi

That's all the boss fights done for me on NG, rinse and repeat is the name of the game for that one. Nowhere near as frustrating hard as Dar
klurk
er but it was a tense fight nonetheless.

So, looking at the achievements list, can I finish Lucatiel and Bernhardt achievements on NG or do I finally have to move on to NG+?

I found this weird glitch in
Drangleic castle
. Apparently the upper area near the upper
drangleic castle
bonfire bugs out if you roll down to its entrance it whilst the elevator is moving you up.

Example.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just read this on the wiki about the monastery scimitar: "This weapon's parry frames start instantly when you press your parry key. There is zero delay".

Is this true? If so does that means it's basically the best option in the game for parrying?
I Need This.

where do iI get it? is it easy to miss?

Sullichin

What's the arbiter spirit that I just killed? Blue orb invader? I was neve able to make use of those things. Who are the guilty exactly?

You are the guilty. It means you have sin from either killing NPCs or from invading other players. To use them you have to be in the blue sentinels covenant and be human. It's much easier to get frequent invasions with them in NG+.

Grief.exe

That's all the boss fights done for me on NG, rinse and repeat is the name of the game for that one. Nowhere near as frustrating hard as Dar
klurk
er but it was a tense fight nonetheless.

So, looking at the achievements list, can I finish Lucatiel and Bernhardt achievements on NG or do I finally have to move on to NG+?

Probably better off just going for them on NG+.

If you miss talking to them once, or don't summon Lucatiel in the right spots, then the NPCs will disappear. I suppose Jugo may be possible if he is in the Memory.

Grief.exe

Oh em eff gee

That video is amazing. Awesome looking weapon.

Phantom in Aldia's keep in new game plus it's not a guaranteed drop however.

At least she's easy to farm. I just beat her and no dice.

I burned 17 bonfire ascetics. :lol

Time to rage

ALNewJt.png

You are the guilty. It means you have sin from either killing NPCs or from invading other players. To use them you have to be in the blue sentinels covenant and be human. It's much easier to get frequent invasions with them in NG+.
Oh didn't know you could get guilty from invading as well. Good to know. Is there a way to check my sin level?

Jito

Banned
Think I've only got the last boss left to do now other than
Ancient Dickface
so just looking for doors to open. How do I get the blue doors open in
Drangleic Castle
? Also keep getting summoning cancelled whenever someone tries to summon me today, is there something up with Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom