• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out of the country for a little over a week since launch day, so I'm pretty far behind in this game.

I've been really touch-and-go with any research on the game... definitely don't want to spoil anything... but I've seen comments about covenants being different this time around. It looked like abandoning/changing covenants either didn't cause sin or didn't have the same negative impacts as DS1. Is it true that you can freely join and leave covenants? It also inferred that your rank in a covenant wouldn't be lost when leaving, too.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Is it true that you can freely join and leave covenants? It also inferred that your rank in a covenant wouldn't be lost when leaving, too.

Yes, you can leave/change covenants at any time with absolutely no consequences. You keep your rank and you don't get sin.

Blinck

You are very much on the right track with the ancient dragon explanation. The soul you get on his defeat and some item descriptions yield more pieces to the puzzle.
You probably just forgot, but if you port to the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle, all questions will be answered as to where to go next.
As for the other giant memories, their hate for King Vendrick continues on.

Thanks man :)

Just defeated the final boss!

Loved the shit out of this game, more than DkS1 in many aspects.

Looking forward to new game + !

Also, has anyone figured out what those flames on the stone map do? I know how they appear in there...but is there something else to it?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Very noob-ass question: if I'm a warrior is there a preferred stat or two to level?

dino1980

Damn!

I have played the game for 40 hours now. I was going to the end boss and got stuck on the loading screen. I restarted the game but now everytime I try to load my character the game stops working. Just get *.exe file stopped working! Can load my other lvl 12 character just fine.

Do anyone know if there is a solution to my problem?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Random question: does anyone have the Japanese box art as a 1920x1080 wallpaper (or higher)?

This one:

DS2-JP-Box-Art.jpg

Ibdrv4p.jpg

garath

Damn!

I have played the game for 40 hours now. I was going to the end boss and got stuck on the loading screen. I restarted the game but now everytime I try to load my character the game stops working. Just get *.exe file stopped working! Can load my other lvl 12 character just fine.

Do anyone know if there is a solution to my problem?

It's Dark souls where even your save games can die.

:( I'm sorry for your loss

I'd like to think that bust / plaque originally had a gameplay purpose attached to it with how it stands out, namely a more intuitive method of getting summoned by the Looking Glass Knight. Just baseless conjecture on my part though, given how unnecessarily 'complicated' it is to invade someone else's world for that specific boss fight.

This was also scrapped from that area, sadly:

"They will stand in a room filled with candles, leading to a long marble gallery, seemingly part of an antiquated mansion or castle. We're told that the candles in the bonfire room light up with every player's death at the hands of the Mirror Knight."

I remember that now. Wonder why the candle room was stripped of function. It would have been a nice touch. It is also odd that they made getting summoned to the fight so counter intuitive. No one would be able to figure it out outside a wiki or forum discussion. Maybe it was too hard to code for some reason.

J-Rod

Oh didn't know you could get guilty from invading as well. Good to know. Is there a way to check my sin level?

On the player info screen there is an icon for sin. Looks like chain links iirc. Mine has no number value, just a "--" though. However, I know I have sin built up, because I used a red eye cracked orb twice and now I am getting invaded left and right. Apparently, invasions can definitely happen on your first play through pretty regularly, you just have to sin/invade someone else. I had the same guy invade me 3 times in a row at the wharf while I was trying to farm a sea bow.

Sullichin

I remember that now. Wonder why the candle room was stripped of function. It would have been a nice touch. It is also odd that they made getting summoned to the fight so counter intuitive. No one would be able to figure it out outside a wiki or forum discussion. Maybe it was too hard to code for some reason.

It's how it works in Demon's Souls though (leaving a sign in world 3 for the old monk fight). So, I kind of just figured that's how it works here and I was right. Definitely obtuse if you didn't play that game though. Surprising that it's not part of a covenant.

So I've got the king's ring.

I've:
- Killed the Throne Defender & Watcher.
- Killed the dragon and got the path to the castle with loads of dragons.
- Opened the door by the Giants area... and there's just a tree that I can examine but nothing happens.

Have I missed something to interact with that tree, or do I need to keep playing to figure it out?

KarmaCow

So I've got the king's ring.

I've:
[
Killed the Throne Defender & Watcher.
Killed the dragon and got the path to the castle with loads of dragons.
Opened the door by the Giants area... and there's just a tree that I can examine but nothing happens.

Have I missed something to interact with that tree, or do I need to keep playing to figure it out?

You're a little early, go explore other places, like
the castle

Taruranto

Oh, apparently in NG+ you can
skip directly to the Shrine of Winter, as soon you get one of those items to remove petrification
, making half of the game completely optional.

So is there any clue as to where I'm supposed to go after getting the
Ashen Mist Heart
? I have already been to all the king doors and the one in
Drangleic leads to the O&S-esque boss
which seems way too difficult atm. I don't actually want to know where to go, just if there are any clues in-game that I'm missing. Otherwise I'm just going to go back to every area in the game to find out how to advance. I thought after lighting the 4 primal bonfires the game would end but it seems to have gone in a post-lord vessel direction. The difference however is that in DS1 gave you some kind of direction and the cutscene showing the gold fogwalls dissipating clued you in as to where to progress. DS2 doesn't seem to do any of that and all the NPCs become worthless after Drangleic castle.

Grief.exe

I'm sure my face was utter surprise and fear when the
Darklurker
split into two!

Almost got him on the first try. Dodging like crazy.

Grief.exe

Hope you got a good supply of effigies.

Oh ya, I missed the covenant entirely my first blind play through, only found two of his locations, so I have two full games worth of Effigies. I started with around 70 as I barely use them, prefer to help people with bosses when I need to go human.

KarmaCow

So can anyone explain fashion souls and why armors make no difference?

I think it's a combination of Poise is less of a factor in DS2 and damage mitigation never being that effective outside of a few situations like boosting fire resist to get the stuff in Iron Keep.

ElFly

They've never once hit me with that one, strange.
I'd say he rolled too early, MH style rolling gets you killed in DS2.

My brain knows that you have to dodge late, after the jump, to avoid the exploding mummies, but my eye and finger have an unholy alliance, and I mash roll the moment I see the guy prepare for the jump.

Get hit most of the time if I allow them to jump. Five times through the game.

I am the dumbest.

DeaviL

Banned
My brain knows that you have to dodge late, after the jump, to avoid the exploding mummies, but my eye and finger haven an unholy alliance, and I mash roll the moment I see the guy prepare for the jump.

Get hit most of the time if I allow them to jump. Five times through the game.

I am the dumbest.

I just slowly stalk in with a bow, or slash them before they get a chance.
Sometimes they do appear behind me all of a sudden and the only thing i can think is:
"well fuck me" *boom*

Ok so I'm at this boss
The Lost Sinner
, and it was made clear on Orange Messages outside the fog gate that I would need
a torch in the fight

I got that.

First time I went in there I ran around a while before engaging, the second time I went right for the boss. I may be wrong but by running around
did I light up more of the room somehow? My first time fighting the boss it seemed like the room was brighter and I had a longer range for my lock-on to stay on... second time I couldn't get far enough away to use lightning spear before I lost my lock-on, and the room appeared much darker.

I know there's a way to improve this
something to do with getting a key elsewhere, but I dont want to do that now

Can you
bring more light to the room by running around for a while by the extinguished torches on the wall or am I crazy
?

I was getting bored so I respecced to a caster. Shortly after I found the joy of Chameleon + Iron Keep Bridge + soul greatsword / soul spear :D

I never realized how much fun hide and seek can be.

DeaviL

Banned
Ok so I'm at this boss
The Lost Sinner
, and it was made clear on Orange Messages outside the fog gate that I would need
a torch in the fight

I got that.

First time I went in there I ran around a while before engaging, the second time I went right for the boss. I may be wrong but by running around
did I light up more of the room somehow? My first time fighting the boss it seemed like the room was brighter and I had a longer range for my lock-on to stay on... second time I couldn't get far enough away to use lightning spear before I lost my lock-on, and the room appeared much darker.

Can you
bring more light to the room by running around for a while by the extinguished torches on the wall or am I crazy
?

Crazy, you need the key and do "something" beforehand.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok so I'm at this boss
The Lost Sinner
a torch in the fight

I got that.

Can you
?

there are 2 oil resevoirs outside the boss fog you can ignite if you have the bastille key, this lights up the room. It's entirely unnecessary to win the fight though, just convenient for locking on with ranged spells.

DeaviL

Banned
That's the answer I always get.I don't want to put time and resources in shot equipment which gets me stuck after playing 30 hours so I need to level or whatever.

Point is, there is no "bad" equipment. You use what feels right and upgrade it.
As long as you're good at evading or blocking damage, any weapon will suffice.

EDIT: I do try to pick one that "jives" with my high dex stat.

Do you guys bother with lighting torchstands?
All but a few automatically stop burning after a while, so no.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

ElFly

That's the answer I always get.I don't want to put time and resources in shot equipment which gets me stuck after playing 30 hours so I need to level or whatever.

The game is somewhat easy, outside side bosses.

That weapon is ok, but it is a boss weapon and it will take tons of Twinkling or Petrified titanite to upgrade to the point where it will compete with cheaper weapons.

tl;dr don't lose sleep over this, just use what you like.

God yes.

Thrakier

Point is, there is no "bad" equipment. You use what feels right and upgrade it.
As long as you're good at evading or blocking damage, any weapon will suffice.

But there are rare materials like twinkling titanites. It's not like you can buy those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom