• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeaviL

Banned
But there are rare materials like twinkling titanites. It's not like you can buy those.

Yeah, those aren't all that frequent.
Using the small white soapstone to help with bosses nets you smooth and silky stones which could possibly get some twinkling titanite in return though.

I started with a my fists, moved on to a short sword, then heide knight sword,
after that i got the full moon sickle and now the black knight halberd.
I just upgrade what i like left and right and have multiple weapons to switch to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
In NG+, having fun because blue sentinel summons actually happen now

then it's time for Belfry Luna and I just feel like going into offline mode :/

Do you guys bother with lighting torchstands?

I was resistant to it at first, but now I've lit every torch sconce I come across. Very easy too, since I have a bajillion Firefly Jars (or w/e they're called).

The darkness wasn't a problem at first, but once I started to light torches sconces I felt less able to see in the dark. It was sorta weird.

Grief.exe

In NG+, having fun because blue sentinel summons actually happen now

then it's time for Belfry Luna and I just feel like going into offline mode :/

Just summon a pal. I got through it by myself with only one PVP encounter, so it wasn't too bad. Summoning a buddy really helps though.

Really almost seems how the place was designed, with two Gray Spirits coming in to disrupt you and multiple bosses.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Torchstands are a godsend if you are playing with any of the lighting mods.
Is there anything that helps it look just like the bullshots lighting? I wonder if someone can pull that off someday.

Grief.exe

Darklurker down. Went and upgraded my chime and had not problem with it, last lighting bolt hit the pair of them just as they split for double damage.

Once you figure out how to dodge the darkness ball, it's not a big deal. I can't imagine doing that fight pure melee, just suffers from too much RNG in the second half.

Is there anything that helps it look just like the bullshots lighting? I wonder if someone can pull that off someday.

You mean the lighting shown in the original reveal/TGS?

Yes, with Durante's SweetFX preset in Gedosato, the game is quite dark. There some ENB profiles that specifically target the darkness as well.

I just recommend Durante's tool for ease of use and a fairly conservative post-process setting. Plus its nice to force SMAA, AO, and downsampling if you need it.

Finally got Sunlight Spear. It is kind of anti-climactic. With stat requirements to of 55 FTH, 2 slots, few uses and only a marginal damage increase over Great Lightning Spear, it just doesn't even seem worth it to attune. I get far more utility from 2 GLS.

Grief.exe

Getting real close to wrapping her up. 3 out of the 4 remaining achievements essentially unlock themselves in NG++.

Will probably just respec to sorcery and speed run through the whole game with a MLGS build. Having way too much fun right now with this Gyrm Great Hammer, the moveset and damage are just out of control.

tiNFj3R.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
They've never once hit me with that one, strange.
I'd say he rolled too early, MH style rolling gets you killed in DS2.

Lets be real though.

That shield was like 8 feet away from him and still caused damage. Regardless of if the games saying "You dodged too late", you shouldn't be taking damage by attacks that are nowhere near you.

Normally people would call that a bug. Because it's Dark Souls some seem to be looking at it as a feature.

Garcia

Oh my god. I was playing on N00b mode all this time. I had my ADP at 7. . .

Just raised it to 26 and holy crap, feels like a completely different game now. I'll focus on raising it from now on. And if you wonder why did it take me so long to realize the importance of ADP: I've been playing this game blindly; just recently I began looking for guides in order to learn about collectibles and other stuff I missed during my first 2 runs.

Speaking of cheavos, I never got the Looking Glass achievement. I know I was online because I did a few coops of the boss. Hope it gives it to me on ng+ run.

Varna

Oh my god. I was playing on N00b mode all this time. I had my ADP at 7. . .

Just raised it to 26 and holy crap, feels like a completely different game now. I'll focus on raising it from now on. And if you wonder why did it take me so long to realize the importance of ADP: I've been playing this game blindly; just recently I began looking for guides in order to learn about collectibles and other stuff I missed during my first 2 runs.

I notice 95 agility(20 or so ADP on Deprived) seem to make dodge feel like Demons/Dark Souls.

So is there any clue as to where I'm supposed to go after getting the
Ashen Mist Heart
? I have already been to all the king doors and the one in
Drangleic leads to the O&S-esque
boss which seems way too difficult atm. I don't actually want to know where to go, just if there are any clues in-game that I'm missing. Otherwise I'm just going to go back to every area in the game to find out how to advance. I thought after
lighting the 4 primal bonfires
the game would end but it seems to have gone in a post-lord vessel direction. The difference however is that in DS1 gave you some kind of direction and the cutscene showing the gold fogwalls dissipating clued you in as to where to progress. DS2 doesn't seem to do any of that and all the NPCs become worthless after Drangleic castle.

Leezard

Ashen Mist Heart
boss which seems way too difficult atm. I don't actually want to know where to go, just if there are any clues in-game that I'm missing. Otherwise I'm just going to go back to every area in the game to find out how to advance. I thought after
the game would end but it seems to have gone in a post-lord vessel direction. The difference however is that in DS1 gave you some kind of direction and the cutscene showing the gold fogwalls dissipating clued you in as to where to progress. DS2 doesn't seem to do any of that and all the NPCs become worthless after Drangleic castle.

Revisit
the queen in the castle. She might give you a pointer.

Mistel

Banned
Ashen Mist Heart
It's kind of there in the game but your on the right path of backtracking there's a kings door you've not found yet.

HoosTrax

Finished 100%ing achievements and decided to do some fashion souls with ENB. Anyone else have an issue where the game crashes with ENB running when a save game is loaded?

Revisit
the queen in the castle. She might give you a pointer.

Ahh I forgot about her. Gave me the creeps when I got to her the first time and just pushed it out of my mind.

It's kind of there in the game but your on the right path of backtracking there's a kings door you've not found yet.

Really? Shaded Woods, Forest of the Fallen Giants and Drangleic Castle. There are others? Shaded Woods leads to
Aldia's Keep,
Forest leads to
...nothing
and Drangleic Castle leads to the
O&S remix

Grief.exe

Really? Shaded Woods, Forest of the Fallen Giants and Drangleic Castle. There are others? Shaded Woods leads to
Aldia's Keep,
Forest leads to
...nothing
and Drangleic Castle leads to the
O&S remix

Read the description of the Ashen Mist Heart you got from the 'Ancient Dragon.' See if that gives you any clues on things to interact with that you have encountered over the course of your travels.

I think D
arklurker
was my absolute favorite boss. So tense being pure melee just dodging round waiting for the right time to hit. Thankfully only took four goes!

The Black Gulch...so bad.

If you have the Miracle "Force" you can take out the statues rather easily. You can also head back to the bonfire to recharge and the statues should stay broken. Don't die and they should stay gone. Best to just destroy them and make a safe path so you aren't overwhelmed by the hand things + poison at the same time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Any of you guys ever stumble upon a melee character named Arne, that's me. Random ass name I picked for 1, stuck with it for 2 thinking the game would use my steam profile name. Someone better get on Namco's ass about that.

SRTtoZ

Was trying very hard to hold off on this because I have a huge backlog and am currently playing FFXIV but fuck it, bough it from GMG with 20% off.

I'm going in.

Grief.exe

Any of you guys ever stumble upon a melee character named Arne, that's me. Random ass name I picked for 1, stuck with it for 2 thinking the game would use my steam profile name. Someone better get on Namco's ass about that.

Why? Just name your character what you want.

elfinke

Raced through to the end of NG+, was fucking easy compared to NG, largely due to the change in focus of my build between games, though obviously familiarity with much of the game aided, too. Also, it was very satisfying nailing each and every crystal lizard I came across with minimal fuss!

Now at the end of NG+, I'm giving a mundane build a go, with Hex and Miracles as a backup. Mundane Avelyns are amazing, mundane Shotels good for a laugh, mundane daggers hit like a truck, but mundane Santier's not so much (though that 2H move set is pretty amazing), GRS is a tremendous spell mixed with GLS. All in all, I hit harder - souls pending - than when I was purely Sorc based, and that's with a slight compromise in using a maxed out Black Witches Staff, rather than an out and out charm (compared to a maxed out Staff of Wisdom).

PvP has been one laggy disasterpiece after another. Lots of fire katanas and unfortunate backstabs from nowhere/everywhere, while my spells hit their faces at my end but obviously somewhere along the line that isn't communicated and no HP is lost. Frustrating, as spells are rather binary - they either hit or they don't (with the exception of the few AoE spells), whereas broad swings with swords have a little more forgiveness in whether they hit or not. Ah well, not a big deal. After I finish up the memories, I might respec into one of these Katana focused jesters and see what's up.

I've got what must be a thousand boss souls, too. Not sure what to use them for, as I've nearly exhausted all of Ornifex and Straid's marketable goods. Might just double down on some of the items, I guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man that
Gargoyle
fight was fun, got some help though, managed to switch to a lightning weapon mid-battle luckily

Why? Just name your character what you want.

But you can't rename a character in progress, right? If it used Steam names you could switch it on the fly :p

Grief.exe

But you can't rename a character in progress, right? If it used Steam names you could switch it on the fly :p

The 360/PSN versions are probably largely the same as, to my knowledge, you cannot easily change your account name. If you wish to change your name, make a new character dedicated to that name.

Seems to be working as intended, and probably won't be looked into.

I found an easy way to kill
Licia

Just take off all your armour, wear a cloranthy ring, grab a dagger type weapon and just constantly smack
her
with your R1 attack while at the same time keeping your stamina full. That way you can stunlock
her
indefinitely until
she
dies. That way
she won't be able to use WotG to blow you away or heal herself back to max
. Enchant or infuse your weapon with poison at to make the battle faster.

SRTtoZ

Can someone link me to the ZIP or DL png files I use for the Playstation button prompts? I found a reddit post showing me how to do it but the file in the description gives me an error when trying to download.

Nevermind! Got it!

Awesome, DS4 working with PS prompts!

Grief.exe

Can someone link me to the ZIP or DL png files I use for the Playstation button prompts? I found a reddit post showing me how to do it but the file in the description gives me an error when trying to download.

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2

EDIT: Specifically http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/6/?

You will also need Durante's tool: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=517

Of course, it's not a perfect solution as the Start/Select button are different on the DS4

ps4-access-large2.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man I saw a player by a bonfire wearing this sweet ass Skeletor mask. I want it. I'm gonna devote my playthrough to finding it and then I will wear it with pride.

Stet

Banned
If you have the Miracle "Force" you can take out the statues rather easily. You can also head back to the bonfire to recharge and the statues should stay broken. Don't die and they should stay gone. Best to just destroy them and make a safe path so you aren't overwhelmed by the hand things + poison at the same time.
I always play straight melee so miracles were a no go. Anyway, it wasn't that it was hard so much as slow and tedious and short. With a ridiculously easy boss.

I always play straight melee so miracles were a no go. Anyway, it wasn't that it was hard so much as slow and tedious and short. With a ridiculously easy boss.

It's worth having a slot or 2 of something as melee for backup. Only need to put a few points in FTH. Wear a ring for the attunement slot.

SRTtoZ

So as someone who has played DeS to death, DS1 to death and now finally starting DS2, should I go in blind for my first playthrough? Or should I research a certain build to go with and whatnot? I can respec correct? I never ever ever dabbled with magic in other DS games but every PVP video I watch has someone usually owning it up with a bit of magic and melee, should I focus on that or worry about 2 different types of weapons going into NG+?

Thanks.

God dammit. Got invaded again by someone 1000000x better than me in this game.

edit: Another thing that sucks. WHen someone summons you and then sends you back. If you left your summon sign at a popular spot then you can't put it back there.

Mistel

Banned
So as someone who has played DeS to death, DS1 to death and now finally starting DS2, should I go in blind for my first playthrough? Or should I research a certain build to go with and whatnot? I can respec correct? I never ever ever dabbled with magic in other DS games but every PVP video I watch has someone usually owning it up with a bit of magic and melee, should I focus on that or worry about 2 different types of weapons going into NG+?

Thanks.
I'd experiment then research or just go full in blindfolded.

SRTtoZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom