• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
When this thread reaches the end please go to community and continue on that thread. There wont be 2 threads after this one. I'll add the PC info to the main OT later.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
10 minutes fighting
Vendrick

Down to 25% health. Make one mistake and I'm dead.

Gonna go ahead and say that's not an enjoyable boss fight for a melee character. It was fun but having to sustain that dodging for that amount of time is...nope...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, got Invaded at
Earthen Peak
Summons did most of the work against them, and then I was like "no, fuck moving. I got 30K souls to spend, bitches" and left.

(So I then bought stuff and leveled)

Now to figure out where to go since
Belltower
is still full of assholes and I need 9 more Jolly Co-ops.

I just beat the game? I phrase it that way because I didn't know until the credits started rolling. It's a great game, but man that was disappointing.

I was assuming that fight was going
to weaken the undead king so I could fight him.

Gvaz

Banned
Looks like ENB doesn't work with GDST.

Also downsampling 2160p to 1080p with an i5 3570k @ 4.2 and a 750ti is not strong enough for dark souls. I get like 15fps.

Ropaire

Banned
Very hard to find something to replace Claymore+10. The Mastadon Greatsword is noticably slower and uses more stamina. Trying out the Old Mirrah Greatsword and it seems okay, but I needs more points in dex to do more damage.

While it was partially because I'd also ended up building him into a Faith character as well, the Defender Greatsword actually became by favorite weapon for my Strength guy. Quick, very light relative to other weapons I'd been using, and that lightning damage is supreme.

DukeBobby

10 minutes fighting
Vendrick

Gonna go ahead and say that's not an enjoyable boss fight for a melee character. It was fun but having to sustain that dodging for that amount of time is...nope...

The first time I fought him, he basically stayed in one spot for the whole fight. I killed him in less than a minute by staying behind him.

In NG+, he jumped around like a motherfucker, which made it a lot more difficult.

Uthred

10 minutes fighting
Vendrick

If its any consolation he's even worse as a magic character

Garcia

Forgot to mention how
Freja
almost gave me a heart attack when I revisited Tseldora during NG+. My favorite moment of the entire journey!

I really wish there were more frightening moments like that and not just some extra red ghosts added here and there.

justjim89

Made an ass of myself and caught some shit on tumblr today for my exploits in the game today.

Made my way through Huntman's Copse (looks wrong every time i type it) and got invaded, and promptly killed the invader. I had no knowledge that the invader was an NPC, and felt proud of myself for killing the bastard. I've always been of the mindset that invasions are the worst aspect of these games. If co-op is opt-in only, invasions and pvp should be opt-in only. But whatever.

So I post my screenshots and do a little write up as I typically do, and in the write up I brag about killing the invader and talk some shit to him or her, again ignorant of the fact that it wasn't a person. So all day now I've been catching shit and getting way more notes than I typically do with people talking shit and acting like I'm some oblivious asshole.

First of all, what's the purpose of an NPC invader? Why not just make it a regular enemy? Also, when someone goes out of there way to invade a person's game and without invitation and potentially ruin their run or cost them souls, I feel as though failure should be met with all measure of ridicule and smack-talking.

Grief.exe

When this thread reaches the end please go to community and continue on that thread. There wont be 2 threads after this one. I'll add the PC info to the main OT later.

Into the 30 FPS ghetto we go.

Forgot to mention how
Freja
almost gave me a heart attack when I revisited Tsledora during NG+. My favorite moment of the entire journey!

I really wish there were more frightening moments like that and not just some extra red ghosts added here and there.

That was the best addition to a replay I have ever seen.

Gvaz

Banned

Community is for threads about offtopic sonic and my little pony or things like that. Games should always be in games.

Varna

First of all, what's the purpose of an NPC invader? Why not just make it a regular enemy?

Because if you are playing offline these invasion comes as a surprise and it's just another layer of challenge not really knowing were they are coming from.

These games really try to tie the invasions/summoning/messages into the lore as well.

I can see how you might have been thought it was an actual person invading your game by the way. The AI for these guys is much more aggressive/intelligent this time around. They definitely fight more like real players would now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mixed in with console players? Gross ;)

Community is for threads about offtopic sonic and my little pony or things like that. Games should always be in games.

Not my decision. On the first pages of the thread a mod which locked the thread opened the thread and said that later it should be 1 thread. Then again most people has done most of the tech talk before this thread is done.

Man there are like no summons going on for The Rotten, I've been waiting forever... only been summoned 3 times so far and 2 of those the host died in the fire pits :(

He has got a ton of health though.. any recommendation on a new weapon? My bandit axe +10 isn't holding up any more...

TheSeks

There should be a cool down of no invasions after one happens. Win or lose, you should have enough time to get a free run at the boss door afterwards.

No. Being summoned or even attempting to put my sign down = invasions.

Fucking assholes. :| Just leave me and my summons alone so I can do the boss, geez. :/

Very hard to find something to replace Claymore+10. The Mastadon Greatsword is noticably slower and uses more stamina. Trying out the Old Mirrah Greatsword and it seems okay, but I needs more points in dex to do more damage.

I went from Claymore +10 to Lightning Defender Greatsword +5. Same R1 moveset I think, though R2 and 2h movesets are different. It can also buff itself with lightning with L2 when you 2h it, though it costs some durability. With bracing knuckle ring+2 its not bad though.

Vitor711

Agreed 100%. Loved that touch. Was so confused and genuinely surprised. Wish there'd been more of that, although considering the sheer amount of content available regardless, I can understand why there wouldn't be.

UrbanRats

Holy fuck there's an entire set? I, oh god. I might just do a fresh run instead of NG+ and call my dude Skeletor and dedicate my life to invading people. Much original, very innovative.

Sure.
That armor was also in DkS1, it was my go-to set, actually.

In DkS2 i'm only wearing its leggings, tho.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Oh my fucking god, fuck
Shrine of Amana
. This place is complete fucking bullshit

I was melee-only and didn't think it was that bad. Just take it piecemeal. One step at a time. Near the end there's a
bug that destroys your equipment so remember to go naked and take your rings off or use ranged attacks

TheSeks

I only got invaded by the bellbros... haven't seen any invasions besides that :(

I've gotten one in
Earthen Peaks
but that's because I was AFK looking at the wiki for the area to make sure I do the NPC's questlines.

Can somebody explain why
Belfrey Luna
is supposed to be fun? Two on one invasions seems stupid.

Possibly fun on the other side? 1v2 sucks; 2v1, fun times; for some, anyway. When I go to
either of the Belfry's
, I typically aim to take out the first invade before the second can spawn. Usually works; though there are a few times where, after I killed the first invader, the second one ran and hid for 5 minutes until a third invader eventually spawned. Killed them both. Felt good.

M3z_

Can somebody explain why
Belfrey Luna

At least you can heal with estus? You can widdle them down by running to the top floor and then dropping down and watching them lose bits of health each time that they can't heal while you have estus to heal from lol.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Can somebody explain why
Belfrey Luna

Honestly, once you're more comfortable with PVP it just makes for a fun challenge.

Definitely a pain in the ass when all you want to do is proceed through the area though.

Grief.exe

Can somebody explain why
Belfrey Luna

If it is a 2v1 situation, I don't even participate. Just sit back, and enjoy the show. If the gray spirit loses, I allow the world master to heal up, and we fight. I don't learn anything from a 2 on 1 zerg, how would I get better?

I think that area was designed for 2v2 situations, the world master is incentivised to summon a helper.

At least you can heal with estus? You can widdle them down by running to the top floor and then dropping down and watching them lose bits of health each time that they can't heal while you have estus to heal from lol.

Until the spirit stays at the top and uses a healing miracle.

I think that area was designed for 2v2 situations, the world master is incentivised to summon a helper.

Thing is, I always put my soapstone down when I'm there; never get any bites. Also, I never see any other summon signs when I'm there. People tend to get through it, and move on.

I will say, though, that when it is 2v2, it's a blast. Especially in the smaller, condensed room rather than the large open zone. Wish that happened more often. 2v2 on the bridge in Iron Keep would be amazing.

Really wish the PvP in this game was more substantial. Past couple of weeks has been great and all, but more variety would have been excellent.

-MD-

Can somebody explain why
Belfrey Luna

If it is a 2v1 situation, I don't even participate. Just sit back, and enjoy the show. If the gray spirit loses, I allow the world master to heal up, and we fight. I don't learn anything from a 2 on 1 zerg, how would I get better?

It's fun when you win, I got to that area the other night and got invaded by 2 people immediately and killed them both.

didamangi

I wish this was more common, but sadly this is like 1/10 chance of happening in my experience. Gotta get those Titanice Chunks I guess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So, 40 ATN for 7 slots, the final 2/3 I'll use the ring, 30 int/faith is the soft cap for hexes, I have STR/DEX for the flame sword, and I actually just put 1 more STR in (12) to use the medium shield with 100 physical block the ember guy sells... So, do I just dump all into vigor now? I want to use robes and shit so I don't need more load, and endurance has been fine so far since I dodge a lot more now instead of blocking. Thoughts?

I wish this was more common, but sadly this is like 1/10 chance of happening in my experience. Gotta get those Titanice Chunks I guess.

Honestly, I think people do it more for the chance to refill their estus, health, and durability more than for chunks. There's times I've waited outside a boss fight to get summoned just so I could go into the boss fight prepared without having to run back to a bonfire and respawn all the trash mobs. I do fight fair though; I only refill my estus if I deserve it.

Uraizen

Banned
Honestly, once you're more comfortable with PVP it just makes for a fun challenge.

Definitely a pain in the ass when all you want to do is proceed through the area though.

Gonna be honest, I disabled my NIC specifically for that part because I could never make it to the opposite end without being invaded.

didamangi

Gonna be honest, I disabled my NIC specifically for that part because I could never make it to the opposite end without being invaded.

Was thinking about it for Belfry Sol, invaders won't even let me kill the enemy spawn first so I ended up fighting 2 invaders and the mob there, it's quite entertaining the first few times but yeah.

Still haven't cleared it yet. Hopefully at higher levels the players who invades can be more sensible.

Honestly, I think people do it more for the chance to refill their estus, health, and durability more than for chunks. There's times I've waited outside a boss fight to get summoned just so I could go into the boss fight prepared without having to run back to a bonfire and respawn all the trash mobs.

Never thought of that, might've done that myself last night when I got killed by AD over and over :))

Uraizen

Banned
Was thinking about it for Belfry Sol, invaders won't even let me kill the enemy spawn first so I ended up fighting 2 invaders and the mob there, it's quite entertaining the first few times but yeah.

Still haven't cleared it yet. Hopefully at higher levels the players who invades can be more sensible.

I wouldn't have minded it as much if it were just one invader and then I can continue. What annoyed me is once I defeated one another was immediately summoned! It was at that point that I turned my NIC off.
After I lost, of course; I'm no ragequitter.

So...I need some advice for the D
ark
C
hasm
of O
ld
or whatever its called, as I've already wasted 8 human effigies.

Is there any point to me entering that area? On my last attempt, I lit some huge thing with my torch and died when I thought it was possible to backstab the enemy with the rapier. Backstabbing the Havel guy was next to impossible as well. Their stamina and attack speed is incomparable. That area is brutalizing me, but I don't want to waste my effigies for no reason, either (unless there's really good loot down there or something).

ark
C
hasm
of O
ld

Is there any point to me entering that area? On my last attempt, I lit some huge thing with my torch and died when I thought it was possible to backstab the enemy with the rapier. Backstabbing the Havel guy was next to impossible as well. Their stamina and attack speed is incomparable. That area is brutalizing me, but I don't want to waste my effigies for no reason, either (unless there's really good loot down there or something).

Eh, you should git gud and keep going, it's worth it. Definitely one of the harder zones in the game.

didamangi

ark
C
hasm
of O
ld

Is there any point to me entering that area? On my last attempt, I lit some huge thing with my torch and died when I thought it was possible to backstab the enemy with the rapier. Backstabbing the Havel guy was next to impossible as well. That area is brutalizing me, but I don't want to waste my effigies for no reason, either (unless there's really good loot down there or something).

There's three of those portal, you need to go in all of them and lit the fire there. After you lit the final fire you drop down and fight
IMO the hardest boss in the game for a melee character
. I think you get souls, the xanthous armor set and maybe some high end spells for all of that? I think this was meant for end level play though so maybe beat the game first if it's too hard for you atm. You can continue playing after beating the game.

UrbanRats

Can't you burn a human effigy in the bonfire? Or it doesn't work with Bell bros?

Honestly, I think people do it more for the chance to refill their estus, health, and durability more than for chunks. There's times I've waited outside a boss fight to get summoned just so I could go into the boss fight prepared without having to run back to a bonfire and respawn all the trash mobs. I do fight fair though; I only refill my estus if I deserve it.
I do co-op on a boss for that.

You also get a feel for the boss you have to do, which is not bad in my book... and you help a fellow undead.

There's three of those portal, you need to go in all of them and lit the fire there. After you lit the final fire you drop down and fight
IMO the hardest boss in the game for a melee character
. I think you get souls, the xanthous armor set and maybe some high end spells for all of that? I think this was meant for end level play though so maybe beat the game first if it's too hard for you atm. You can continue playing after beating the game.
Oh, I definitely thought that the other portals were out of commission or something.

My heart sank when I read that spoiler. Great. Doesn't help that I'm not a STR/heavy weapon powerhouse, either. And I thought that beating the game would immediately take me to NG+. Good to know.
Eh, you should git gud and keep going, it's worth it. Definitely one of the harder zones in the game.
If there's anything I learned from this series, it's that I should always be persistent and never give up. Maybe I should play it safe and use my bow as much as I can, though. One good hit or two and I'm finished.

Finished the game yesterday and have almost no fucking clue what happened. The narrative seems way more obtuse than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I think Dark Souls is still the best of the three so far, but playing DS2 on PC was just amazing. 1080p60 FTW. It elevated the game to beyond perfection levels. Wish I could play Demon's Souls with that performance.

didamangi

Oh, I definitely thought that the other portals were out of commission or something.

My heart sank when I read that spoiler. Great. Doesn't help that I'm not a STR/heavy weapon powerhouse, either. And I thought that beating the game would immediately take me to NG+. Good to know.
If there's anything I learned from this series, it's that to be persistent and never give up. Maybe I should play it safe and use my bow as much as I can, though. One good hit or two and I'm finished.

I meant
pure melee as in no spells, with spells the boss is pretty easy.
Have to respec my pure melee build just for this boss. There's also the high chance I just suck though :)

After beating the game you have to pick the option to play NG+ at the bonfire, otherwise you can continue playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom