• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

So as someone who has played DeS to death, DS1 to death and now finally starting DS2, should I go in blind for my first playthrough? Or should I research a certain build to go with and whatnot? I can respec correct? I never ever ever dabbled with magic in other DS games but every PVP video I watch has someone usually owning it up with a bit of magic and melee, should I focus on that or worry about 2 different types of weapons going into NG+?

Thanks.

Go in completely blind. The only way to experience Souls.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think you're referring to the Dark Mask?
It's dropped by the Mimic in Aldia's Keep.

Holy fuck there's an entire set? I, oh god. I might just do a fresh run instead of NG+ and call my dude Skeletor and dedicate my life to invading people. Much original, very innovative.

Uraizen

Banned
I wish there was a way to give souls to people who helped you. This one guy was fighting a boss with me and he ended up dying. It was thanks to him that I managed to finish off the boss, though. I would have gladly split the souls with him as a thanks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, beat
Sinner's Rise
and am not sure where to do. The
Belltower
is still no go since summoning people = time
for invasions
and making it impossible to get to the boss. Which I still don't know if I will do pitiful damage now that I've raised my stats a little from the last boss.

So... where to go? I'm 1/4 but dunno where the other three are.

Grief.exe

Well, beat
Sinner's Rise
and am not sure where to do. The
Belltower
is still no go since summoning people = time
for invasions
and making it impossible to get to the boss. Which I still don't know if I will do pitiful damage now that I've raised my stats a little from the last boss.

So... where to go? I'm 1/4 but dunno where the other three are.

Just keep exploring outward from Majula, you will find a place to go.

One thing that is easy to miss, go back towards Heide's Tower of Flame from Majula. Something has changed since you explored that area.

WTF.

I got summoned as a grey spirit??

Time for rats.

Grief.exe

Man, going ultra heavy is great for PVE but (at least for me) it's been pretty rotten for PVP.

Check out the Gyrm Great Hammer. I just started using it today and I love the moveset.

The rolling R1 and 2-hand R2 are amazing for PVP and PVE. They both have this horizontal sweep that is perfect for dead angling. The 2-hand R2 is two spins back to back, most people assume you missed your first attack, and the second spin catches them off guard, then punish them with the follow up R2 to flatten their puny, hallowed bodies.

On top of the awesome moveset, it's a strike weapon, A scaling at +10, and really high base damage.

My build SL160 with 42 Faith/40 Str/20 ADP/20 VIt/~25 VIG/~22 End I hit bosses for around 700 in NG+ Sunlight Blade.

Just keep exploring outward from Majula, you will find a place to go.

One thing that is easy to miss, go back towards Heide's Tower of Flame from Majula. Something has changed since you explored that area.

Time for rats.

Rats.

I just used a Pharaos Lockstone down here and didn't realize there are like 10 of them, did I just waste it?

Holy shit that was an intense boss fight.

Piano

Banned
So as someone who has played DeS to death, DS1 to death and now finally starting DS2, should I go in blind for my first playthrough? Or should I research a certain build to go with and whatnot? I can respec correct? I never ever ever dabbled with magic in other DS games but every PVP video I watch has someone usually owning it up with a bit of magic and melee, should I focus on that or worry about 2 different types of weapons going into NG+?

Thanks.
Go as blind as possible.

As in, start playing the game, and then only look up things if figuring them out on your own isn't fun. Like if you get stuck, or aren't sure what an item does, things like that. You'll logically figure out what you do and don't need to read about from there.

The whole point is to have fun.

Check out the Gyrm Great Hammer. I just started using it today and I love the moveset.

The rolling R1 and 2-hand R2 are amazing for PVP and PVE. They both have this horizontal sweep that is perfect for dead angling. The 2-hand R2 is two spins back to back, most people assume you missed your first attack, and the second spin catches them off guard.

On top of the awesome moveset, it's a strike weapon, A scaling at +10, and really high base damage.

My build SL160 with 42 Faith/40 Str/20 ADP/20 VIt/~25 VIG/~22 End I hit bosses for around 700 in NG+ Sunlight Blade.

Whats your soul memory at 160 and are you still leveling or stopping . I'm 140 and 2.2m soul memory...which I think is high.
Thanks

Grief.exe

Whats your soul memory at 160 and are you still leveling or stopping . I'm 140 and 2.2m soul memory...which I think is high.
Thanks

My Soul Memory is probably around 2.5 or 3m I would guess.

I beat NG at ~SL100, then leveled to 160 at the beginning of NG+ to flesh out my build. I don't plan on ever leveling up again on this particular character. I am totally maxed out on all crafting materials you can buy right now lol.

I wish SM wasn't a thing, would like to participate with people around my level more consistently. +/- 30-40 SL isn't a big deal, but the SL 300+ guys are out of control.

My Soul Memory is probably around 2.5 or 3m I would guess.

I beat NG at ~SL100, then leveled to 160 at the beginning of NG+ to flesh out my build. I don't plan on ever leveling up again on this particular character.

I am totally maxed out on all crafting materials you can buy right now lol.

Thanks, just trying to determine what SL I should be for my soul memory for pvp brackets. I feel like I am up against much higher lvl people.....or of course, I just suck is a possibility. :)

Seems like if I level up more, I increase my soul memory...or if I farm for material to upgrade equipment same thing and I am screwing myself lol.

Grief.exe

Thanks, just trying to determine what SL I should be for my soul memory for pvp brackets. I feel like I am up against much higher lvl people.....or of course, I just suck is a possibility. :)

Seems like if I level up more, I increase my soul memory...or if I farm for material to upgrade equipment same thing and I am screwing myself lol.

Soul Memory is such a fucked up system, I just don't understand the justification behind it.

Theoretically it effects brand new players from getting exploited by a low level twink, but that is only a very small segment of the population. After that point, it is an utterly broken mechanic for the rest of the player base and gets worse going into NG+.

Let's compromise, SM only effects those in NG. Once you take your character into NG+ it's based only on SL.

Soul Memory is such a fucked up system, I just don't understand the justification behind it.

Theoretically it effects brand new players from getting exploited by a low level twink, but that is only a very small segment of the population.

Ya, seems like it punishes experimenting with equipment. Or if your like me and died a ton and lost soul after soul in a few zones. But eh, loving the game either way..really do wish it was SL based tho.

Garcia

Thanks.

Do go blind if you are sure you will be revisiting this game for a NG+ run (which you probably are going to do).

I will share with you a huge tip (which I just learned about today, after almost 80 hours of gameplay): Don't neglect Adaptability (ADP). It will be the difference between life and death. I built a tank (Max Faith, 50 Strength, even numbers in every other stat, but no ADP) and I was getting crushed in PvP. Raising ADP will give you precious time in advance to make important actions like drinking Estus flasks, running and rolling.

Bought this today.

Just got trought the tutorial zone (killing all the ogres and dying like 10x times trying lol) and starting The Forest of Fallen Giants. I went duelist and it's the first time since one of my playtroughs in Demon Souls since I'm not using a build with shield.

Yay!

Bought this today.

Just got trought the tutorial zone (killing all the ogres and dying like 10x times trying lol) and starting The Forest of Fallen Giants. I went duelist and it's the first time since one of my playtroughs in Demon Souls since I'm not using a build with shield.

Yay!

Glad to have you. Good luck, have fun. See you in ng+.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
What would you guys recommend to infuse onto a mace? I currently have Mace+7 and its great, using it in tandem with hexes and im clearing fast, not sure what to infuse it with though.

Man, these numbers are crazy:

Disappeared Souls (PC version): 14,016,613,707,918
Disappeared Souls (PS3 version): 10,134,899,649,777

The game has been out for just 2 weeks. Wow.

It looks like some numbers are all-time while others are on some sort of rolling window. For example, coop stats used to show well over 1M coops in Bastille and the Forest each, but now they are well below 1M.

Disappeared souls is probably rolling window because death counter is much lower on PC than PS3. Probably a good measure on the relative size of active communities right now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't even reach the
Belltower boss
because assholes keep invading and/or the summoner won't even go to the gate to where I have to kill myself to leave.

SMH.

Can't even reach the
Belltower boss
because assholes keep invading and/or the summoner won't even go to the gate to where I have to kill myself to leave.

SMH.

There should be a cool down of no invasions after one happens. Win or lose, you should have enough time to get a free run at the boss door afterwards.

Grief.exe

What would you guys recommend to infuse onto a mace? I currently have Mace+7 and its great, using it in tandem with hexes and im clearing fast, not sure what to infuse it with though.

Regular +10 scales very well with STR.
Dark +10 will scale well with STR/Int (assuming that is the higher stat for your hexes). Will also work well in conjunction with your Dark weapon hex.

Vlade

Thanks.
Blind.
Such a rewarding experience, and ds2 is definitely as built for it as the others.

garath

I'm having a tough time deciding what kind of weapons to invest into upgrading. Right now I'm dual wielding fire sword and heides sword but frankly its not going too great. They are stamina hogs when used in power stance. I kind of envision daggers or something being more effective? Dunno. I've read about whips too. That sounds interesting.

Beat my first boss. The dragonrider. Pretty cool. Lost a few corpses along the way Lol.

Piano

Banned
Okay, so I'm not that far into the game (only just beat B
elltower Gargoyles
) but I'm already thinking about future builds.

Right now I'm doing a real middle of the road, sword / shield knight character, just using a leveled longsword and various medium shields. Want to get a feel for the game.

Thinking for future builds:
*Sorcerer. Hopefully the early-game spells are a bit more varied than in Dark Souls 1, where I had to put in my 20 hours of SOUL ARROW until cool stuff started to open up.
*Fast / Agile Parrying character. Tons of points pumping my agility stat. Still haven't gotten parrying down, but are there shields in DS2, like in the first one, that expand the parrying window? Also, can you parry post enemies in DS2? I know in the first one there were some that you could not, and I never figured out how to navigate those well as a super agile / lightweight character.

Also, would it be viable to have my parry character also power stance when I switch out the left hand, if I pump my DEX?

Timu

ibccykSHLKNb41.png

All thanks to
Velstadt
folks, oh well at least there are 4 bosses left now to beat the game.

NBtoaster

Very hard to find something to replace Claymore+10. The Mastadon Greatsword is noticably slower and uses more stamina. Trying out the Old Mirrah Greatsword and it seems okay, but I needs more points in dex to do more damage.

Booshka

Very hard to find something to replace Claymore+10. The Mastadon Greatsword is noticably slower and uses more stamina. Trying out the Old Mirrah Greatsword and it seems okay, but I needs more points in dex to do more damage.

No, don't do this. Dex scaling is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom