• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant
pure melee as in no spells, with spells the boss is pretty easy.
Have to respec my pure melee build just for this boss. There's also the high chance I just suck though :)

After beating the game you have to pick the option to play NG+ at the bonfire, otherwise you can continue playing the game.
Sweet, glad they changed that. And yeah, I'm pure melee in that sense as well. I tested out a spell even with my super low INT, and I was surprised how much damage I was doing. The majority of the game hasn't been too bad so far, so I guess it's nice to finally have some challenge.

Sullichin

I meant
pure melee as in no spells, with spells the boss is pretty easy.
Have to respec my pure melee build just for this boss. There's also the high chance I just suck though :)

After beating the game you have to pick the option to play NG+ at the bonfire, otherwise you can continue playing the game.

Don't trivialize the best boss in the game by throwing spells at it!

didamangi

Don't trivialize the best boss in the game by throwing spells at it!

Running out of effigy man :( If I can fight him without the effigy requirement I would try to beat him pure melee, I've gotten him down to 10% health a few times before dying but that just makes me rage.

That's my breaking point in this game and I said fuck it, gonna l.spear him to death. I'm weak.

Has anyone else seen this?
ds2_crash_by_realghostvids-d7hsz25.jpg

The game was still running behind that pop up but as soon as I click OK the game exits but is then still in the task manager. I'm not sure if it's related to GeDoSaTo or what but I've had it happen another time after about six hours of straight play. This time it was after only about 30 minutes.

Sullichin

Running out of effigy man :( If I can fight him without the effigy requirement I would try to beat him pure melee, I've gotten him down to 10% health a few times before dying but that just makes me rage.

That's my breaking point in this game and I said fuck it, gonna l.spear him to death. I'm weak.

The effigy requirement is quite annoying. Especially since if I die I'm going to pop an effigy in the dungeon too, so that's 2 each time. I've been stocking up on effigies by ascetic'ng the first bonfire of forest of the fallen giants (6x effigies/run, no boss respawn, easy enemies).

That fight gets insane after they split. The last few hits you need to land are just exponentially harder to get down than the rest of the fight. I didn't even find this fight on my first playthrough (STR). First time I beat it was on a hex character and it was fun, but doing it again with my current STR character made me realize how awesome this boss is.

I also came very close to beating him a few times, including one incredibly frustrating fight that was going perfectly until one horrible moment melted away 40 something vigor when I only needed to hit him once more. I needed to step away from the game and try again later and I was able to do it, even if the fight didn't go nearly as smoothly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
bJt2hHB.png

I already put 100+ hours in the console version and this seemed like a breath of fresh air. DkS II on pc is just great. Sure it looks better, but the 60 fps and (lack of) load times are the kicker here. Summoning was a lot faster on pc as well

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was playing DSII in 3D and with ENB for a while and since I couldn't lock 60fps, I decided to cap it at 30.

It seemed fine enough, but once I decided to flip it back to 60fps, yeesh. The game looks so great and plays so fantastically in 60fps.

I was playing DSII in 3D and with ENB for a while and since I couldn't lock 60fps, I decided to cap it at 30.

It seemed fine enough, but once I decided to flip it back to 60fps, yeesh. The game looks so great and plays so fantastically in 60fps.

It really is a different game at 60fps. Can't ever go back to 30fps.

Went ahead and created my Darth Maul character. Spent a lot of time customizing, went with the dual weapon class since it was one of the two with the highest dexterity. So now I gotta get dexterity to the level where I can properly wield the twinblade.

My plan for perfect Darth Maul build:

1. Create the character and get his looks as close as possible (checked, mess with color hue and put black beard and tattoos to be as close to his black spots as possible. Though the horns on his head won't be possible until I can wear the king's crown I guess).

2. Get the twinblade

3. Get the fire-coating spell so the twinblade can look like a red dual lightsaber.

4. Get the force wave push (because Jedi)

5. Get the proper armor (certain npc I can kill for it)

6. Once I get DEX to the point I need it I'll probably pump the rest of the points into regular stats such as strength/vit/end/agility etc..

Honestly I'd consider getting the other twinblades but they're too big. The only other one I'd get I need to win by killing other players/gaining sin in blood bros. I'm making this asshole as evil as possible. Since I won't be getting any good armor I need to make sure I also probably can do a status inflicting thing with my twinblade, so will probably add bleed or poison damage.

didamangi

The effigy requirement is quite annoying. Especially since if I die I'm going to pop an effigy in the dungeon too, so that's 2 each time. I've been stocking up on effigies by ascetic'ng the first bonfire of forest of the fallen giants (6x effigies/run, no boss respawn, easy enemies).

That fight gets insane after they split. The last few hits you need to land are just exponentially harder to get down than the rest of the fight. I didn't even find this fight on my first playthrough (STR). First time I beat it was on a hex character and it was fun, but doing it again with my current STR character made me realize how awesome this boss is.

I also came very close to beating him a few times, including one incredibly frustrating fight that was going perfectly until one horrible moment melted away 40 something vigor when I only needed to hit him once more. I needed to step away from the game and try again later and I was able to do it, even if the fight didn't go nearly as smoothly.

Yeah, I have like 16 effigy before him and that goes right down the drain.

The phantoms down there doesn't respawn anymore for me and I still haven't got the luck skills to best him :(

Maybe with NG+ I have more luck. Watching this guy take him down was pretty motivating though. Even if the boss was being a troll at the end. Imagine if you're low on health when that happens. Probably gonna break my controller.

Went ahead and created my Darth Maul character. Spent a lot of time customizing, went with the dual weapon class since it was one of the two with the highest dexterity. So now I gotta get dexterity to the level where I can properly wield the twinblade.

My plan for perfect Darth Maul build:

1. Create the character and get his looks as close as possible (checked, mess with color hue and put black beard and tattoos to be as close to his black spots as possible. Though the horns on his head won't be possible until I can wear the king's crown I guess).

2. Get the twinblade

3. Get the fire-coating spell so the twinblade can look like a red dual lightsaber.

4. Get the force wave push (because Jedi)

5. Get the proper armor (certain npc I can kill for it)

6. Once I get DEX to the point I need it I'll probably pump the rest of the points into regular stats such as strength/vit/end/agility etc..

Honestly I'd consider getting the other twinblades but they're too big. The only other one I'd get I need to win by killing other players/gaining sin in blood bros. I'm making this asshole as evil as possible. Since I won't be getting any good armor I need to make sure I also probably can do a status inflicting thing with my twinblade, so will probably add bleed or poison damage.

Fun idea, post a video when you are finished with it. What armor set are you using?

Edit: with all the role play options. Someday, someone will post an epic Ninja Turle Souls montage/video.

I thought last week I wasn't gonna be able to beat this thing. Slowly but surely I went from starting
Drangelic
earlier today all the way through the end of
Dragon Shrine
. After that slog of a fight to the top I'm hoping I'm nearing the end of this game. I've really enjoyed it, but I'm ready to put it down for now. Seems like there's been several areas recently that are just about baiting 15 huge armored guys one by one. Thankfully someone highlighted the Large Club and with it fully upgraded it two shots them all.

How many more (required) hours do I have? I need to dip into something less stressful...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I thought last week I wasn't gonna be able to beat this thing. Slowly but surely I went from starting
Drangelic
Dragon Shrine
. After that slog of a fight to the top I'm hoping I'm nearing the end of this game. I've really enjoyed it, but I'm ready to put it down for now. Seems like there's been several areas recently that are just about baiting 15 huge armored guys one by one. Thankfully someone highlighted the Large Club and with it fully upgraded it two shots them all.

How many more (required) hours do I have? I need to dip into something less stressful...

You're basically done. Maybe an hour tops.

didamangi

Drangelic
Dragon Shrine

An hour or less if you go straight into it really. Maybe two if you don't know where to go and have some trouble with the bosses.

Fun idea, post a video when you are finished with it. What armor set are you using?

Edit: with all the role play options. Someday, someone will post an epic Ninja Turle Souls montage/video.

It was between making Shrek, Darth Maul, or a character named 'Sassy Woman' who did the finger 'mmm mmm' waving gesture each time a player appeared.

As to the armor I got my idea from the more popular Darth Maul video in youtube and I'm gonna use Straid's set. Apparently I misread, I can't kill him for it, so I'll follow proper procedures. Since it upgrades with twinkling titanite I won't be getting too worried about upgrading the armor set.

The downside of making a twinblade only enemy is that I'll probably have to actually summon people for a lot of mob bosses. I don't have the luxury of lightning spears like with my other characters. Considering the players I've encountered I should still be able to do PvP decently with this character.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Posting this here since Demon's OT is dead. God fucking damn, 5-2 is crazy. Blightown and The Gutter have nothing on it. Never again.

That was the one area of the game that I just zoomed through from desperation and exhaustion. It just felt so overwhelming. I watched Brad play through that area on GB and there was a HUGE cool thing that i never even saw (minor spoiler)
destroying the leech nest on the roof

Luckily I did the worlds mostly in order so when I got there I was pretty high leveled.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nearly done on my Faith char. Just need to go through the King Doors and then beat the crap out of Vendrick.

FINALLY got my Defender Greatsword. It's almost as good as I thought it would be.

Meanwhile, I respecced my Dual Wielder since I'm not going to get Blue Flame for another few hours. I'm just going to go into heavy DEX and see how I feel about it afterwards.

I plan to Dual Wield Mytha's Bent Blade + Something infused with poison, stock up on poison arrows, with a poison-infused bow.

And then I'll invade some unlucky sod.

Sid

Is there any way to beat the Anceint Dragon? the bitch always does a 180 on me when doing his unblockable and insta-killing AoE fire attack.

didamangi

Is there any way to beat the Anceint Dragon? the bitch always does a 180 on me when doing his unblockable and insta-killing AoE fire attack.

Run ahead until he does his straight fire attack, attack his left/right front leg a few times, run straight back ahead in front of his head. If he flaps his wings run away from him as far as possible to avoid the aoe, run back in front of him and he'll do his front fire attack, rinse and repeat.

I recommend you use no armor and equip whatever stamina regen rings/shield you have.

Sid

Run ahead until he does his straight fire attack, attack his left/right front leg a few times, run straight back ahead in front of his head. If he flaps his wings run away from him as far as possible to avoid the aoe, run back in front of him and he'll do his front fire attack, rinse and repeat.

I recommend you use no armor and equip whatever stamina regen rings/shield you have.

I saw that earlier,sometimes there isn't much space left to run far away from his attack.

knitoe

I saw that earlier,sometimes there isn't much space left to run far away from his attack.

Instead of running straight back from his head, run away perpendicular to his more open side, and once to get to the edge, move along the edge toward his back / tail. His air aoe is more front then back.

Run to his tail if you think you don't have enough space behind you. Just beware you don't end up where his tail drops since it'll kill you.
With the way the dragon can change direction in the air, I would never recommend running underneath him to his tail. I tried that strategy many times and fail miserably.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do magic spells get stronger if you 2hand a staff? if so I just wasted 100 levels of not doing it lol

Lyonaz

I regret not making a sorcery character, it would have made my journey much easier. Also stupid poison statues in the Gutter and Black Gulch, aaaargh.

didamangi

Instead of running straight back from his head, run away perpendicular to his more open side, and once to get to the edge, move along the edge toward his back / tail. His air aoe is more front then back.

With the way the dragon can change direction in the air, I would never recommend running underneath him to his tail. I tried that strategy many times and fail miserably.

It's possible by using his shadow as a guide, although if he's on the edge of the circle and he turns mid air you're probably gonna be dead :D

But yeah, it's too risky to be doing it as the main strategy.

knitoe

I regret not making a sorcery character, it would have made my journey much easier. Also stupid poison statues in the Gutter and Black Gulch, aaaargh.
Miracles, lightning spear, does much more dam than sorcery. Thus, easier. I started sorc for lvl120. Respec to miracles. OMG. Should have started from the beginning.

do magic spells get stronger if you 2hand a staff? if so I just wasted 100 levels of not doing it lol

No

It makes a lot of encounters easier, but there are certain scenarios that do become harder, but for the most part, a Mage build is easy mode. Using Emit Force through the Binoculars on the statues in the gutter/black gulch is a lot of fun and very cathartic.

Sid

Awright:-
->Went in the room straight
->Dragon does the animation for straight fire attack but jumps in the air instead and does not breathe fire
->I thought he would so I moved to the right
->Lands on the right and suddenly he jumps again
->Ran away to save my ass
->No space left
->Dragon breathes fire
->Dead

This will take some more tries.....

didamangi

Awright:-
->Went in the room straight
->Dragon does the animation for straight fire attack but jumps in the air instead and does not breathe fire
->I thought he would so I moved to the right
->Suddenly he jumps again
->Ran away to save my ass
->No space left
->Dragon breathes fire
->Dead

This will take some more tries.....

You got trolled :))

Once you got him locked in place it should be easy enough, although it'll still be a tense battle knowing one random move from him will break the rhythm and probably kill you.

Farfire stats just updated moments ago. Still trying to use this to glean sales numbers. The "Total Clears" just increased to 52,282. It's not clear exactly what this number is, but I'm going to assume it refers to players seeing the credits and getting the achievement "The Heir" for this analysis.

From Steam, that achievement is sitting at 19.3%. This would give 271K players who have played the game on PC. Seems like this number should be higher based on concurrent numbers from opening weekend, so either my assumptions are way off, or the game is selling well, but not gangbusters.

JustinBB7

To beat the dragon:

get the anti-backstab ring, it will block his 1 hit KO if you turn your back to him, just keep running though. The ring is in the fog area if you hug the right wall, but you have to use a bonfire asthetic first.

Sid

Yeah I got that now BUT I didn't even knew he had a foot stomp attack and died,I'm gonna try this again though.

JustinBB7

Yeah I got that now BUT I didn't even knew he had a foot stomp attack and died,I'm gonna try this again though.

Hit 3 times max, 2 if you're late. Then run away again, you can't die with that ring on if you have your back to him. It will take a while, just be patient. He's very tanky. Also try gold pine resin on your weapon.

Sid

Hit 3 times max, 2 if you're late. Then run away again, you can't die with that ring on if you have your back to him. It will take a while, just be patient. He's very tanky. Also try gold pine resin on your weapon.
I searched the wiki and it said I can farm that resin through the 'illuminated corpse' enemies,where are these guys?

yatesl

Just completed it. That was... Disappointing. I died first time I walked in, but the second time I rolled it.

I think I just have 2 optional bosses to go now.

So I finally got a Black Steel Katana , it should be the strongest katana in the game. I'd like to use a poison/bleed weapon too, what do you suggest? Manslayer? Uchigatana infused? Else?

So I finally got a Black Steel Katana , it should be the strongest katana in the game. I'd like to use a poison/bleed weapon too, what do you suggest? Manslayer? Uchigatana infused? Else?

I think the Blacksteel is only the strongest if you have 50 dex, otherwise the Chaos Blade out performs all other katanas in terms of damage. I'd recommend the base stats for using the Chaos Blade (12 STR, 25 DEX), a Raw infusion and then Ring of Blades +2 for the highest damage.

As for poison, putting a poison infusion on the Manslayer is very effective. It still deals decent damage even with the infusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom