• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dommel

Is there any downside to killing bosses with somebody you summoned?

Note having to retry a boss 27 times by myself greatly increases the enjoyment I get out of ds2 but I'm worried I might be missing out on loot or souls?

Dr Dogg

Well back on it this weekend and had my first DS II d'oh! moment.

"Man that Pursuer is a right dick. Hey hold on what was that button prompt? SPPUUUDDOOOWWW!!!"

Well I feel silly no dying about 20 times to the dude now. Also I kinda missing the Havok ragdolls :(

yatesl

Is there any downside to killing bosses with somebody you summoned?

Note having to retry a boss 27 times by myself greatly increases the enjoyment I get out of ds2 but I'm worried I might be missing out on loot or souls?
Just "bragging rights". If that's how you want to play it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

HoosTrax

So what are the chances we get an Artorias-esque DLC for Dark Souls II? When FROM got acquired by that Japanese publisher, did the IP go with them?

HoosTrax

Why do people say Bonfire Asthetic? It's Bonfire Ascetic.
"Ascetic" is a rarely used word. In fact, the only other time I've heard it used in my entire life is with the "Ascetic Virtues" research project in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

It's kind of similar to how in Mass Effect 2+, a lot of people think that Martin Sheen's character is named "Elusive Man", instead of "Illusive Man".

---

I haven't been doing much with pyro, sorc, hexes much -- what would be considered the typical bread-and-butter ranged spells for those? (the analogue to the Lightning / Great Lightning / Sunlight Spear line for faith)

Dr Dogg

Damn I've got so many Boss Souls this morning I feel like I'm in Boss Rush mode or something.

Nice call back with the
Old Dragonslayer boss which was way easier without the fat dude this time :p

Also that Licia lady is a copy of The Watchtower short of a convent. Sure I'll buy your miracles, you tricky con artist.

BadWolf

Just finished it, went in blind and played it offline. Ended up spending 61 hours and finishing at lvl 130 or so. About the only thing I looked up was how the stats worked now since they changed things around some.

Went with a dex build like in my first run of DS. Used the Broadsword for a while first, then moved to the Rapier and then the Uchigatana after that which I used all the way till the end.

The biggest change I felt was for the need to roll, especially on bosses. I actually played through DeS and DS without learning how to use the invincibility on the roll lol, I mostly blocked with the shield. DS2 though, you either roll or you won't last long. In the end it made things a lot more fun though.

Won't go comparing it to the previous two games but on its own I really enjoyed it, good world and solid gameplay. There were some annoying boss design choices but thinking back some of them actually made the fights more memorable and thrilling, like having to fight the Sinner in the dark and and Mythra with full on poison for example. The first time I beat Mythra I died of poison a couple of seconds later and the kill didn't count T_T.

The story I liked, what I got of it anyway. Gotta look up some lore videos.

Overall, really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down.

First major issue with lag. Joined the Dark covenant. Enter a duel with some guy with a spear. Hes hitting me from miles away, when i go to Estus he teleport backstabs me. Managed to beat him by staying near a wall where his spear would bounce.

I also found a really good PvP'er Bell Bro. When id swing slightly out of range he would back step then lunge attack me. I'd never seen anyone pull it off so well so getting beat wasn't disappointing... prick still taunted me though.

Grief.exe

I also found a really good PvP'er Bell Bro. When id swing slightly out of range he would back step then lunge attack me. I'd never seen anyone pull it off so well so getting beat wasn't disappointing... prick still taunted me though.

I try to practice that move on enemies with a short reach to ingrain it in muscle memory.

So damn good no matter what the weapon.

Went ahead and created my Darth Maul character. Spent a lot of time customizing, went with the dual weapon class since it was one of the two with the highest dexterity. So now I gotta get dexterity to the level where I can properly wield the twinblade.

My plan for perfect Darth Maul build:

1. Create the character and get his looks as close as possible (checked, mess with color hue and put black beard and tattoos to be as close to his black spots as possible. Though the horns on his head won't be possible until I can wear the king's crown I guess).

2. Get the twinblade

3. Get the fire-coating spell so the twinblade can look like a red dual lightsaber.

4. Get the force wave push (because Jedi)

5. Get the proper armor (certain npc I can kill for it)

6. Once I get DEX to the point I need it I'll probably pump the rest of the points into regular stats such as strength/vit/end/agility etc..

Honestly I'd consider getting the other twinblades but they're too big. The only other one I'd get I need to win by killing other players/gaining sin in blood bros. I'm making this asshole as evil as possible. Since I won't be getting any good armor I need to make sure I also probably can do a status inflicting thing with my twinblade, so will probably add bleed or poison damage.
Have you looked at the dragon rider twinblade you can get from Straid?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just found the lions mage set... it seems like the best caster set ive seen so far, since its the only with added effects (i only saw headpieces with added effects until now) and on top it only needs normal shards to upgrade

so is this the go to for casters?

Defuser

Fuck, Vendrick is a pain in the ass to kill. The guy hits like a fucking truck even in new game.

I realized I shouldn't wear heavy armor and just hug/circle his legs in order to kill him.

Mistel

Banned
Have you looked at the dragon rider twinblade you can get from Straid?
Or better yet the red iron twinblade:
8f88b57a-6f6b-4872-88d3-93230506360f_zpsb35396ff.png

Bit more Darth maul than the dragon riders twin blade I think.

Finally took out Darklurker. That was an intense fight. It was a very challenging battle for my melee character. It took a lot of forethought and strategy and I had to pretty much rethink entirely how I played the game. Feels good man.

sheaaaa

I was rereading the Edge review of Dark Souls II now that I'm 50 hours in and I came across this:
Just as you’re starting to feel that the end is in sight, it transpires that FromSoftware has other ideas. The difficulty ratchets up yet another notch, the world design team sends you to greater heights and new depths, and you realise that the single greatest way in which Dark Souls II differs from its predecessor is that, rather than tailing off towards the end, it just keeps getting better. This late-game rug-pull pivots around a single moment in which not a sword is swung nor a word is spoken. It’s a remarkable scene that serves to remind you what FromSoftware does better than any studio in the world – finding beauty in the darkness and majesty in the grotesque.

Anyone care to guess what they're talking about? I'll admit I'm quite dense when it comes to lore/story that isn't explicitly presented to me, but I have no idea what they could be referring to.
King Vendrick in the Undead Crypt?

HoosTrax

For the same reason people call Huntsman Copse Huntsman Corpse

Because what the fuck is a copse
For that matter, who even knows what the definition of "flexile" means.

I'm really curious about this aspect of the game, because Japanese games often have some pretty awkward and atrocious English localization. But in the case of Souls, they apparently hired a freaking professor of English Literature to write the English text.

For that matter, who even knows what the definition of "flexile" means.

I'm really curious about this aspect of the game, because Japanese games often have some pretty awkward and atrocious English localization. But in the case of Souls, they apparently hired a freaking professor of English Literature to write the English text.
I'm still trying to understand what "Things Betwixt" is supposed to mean

Such a whimsical name for a dark forest filled with zombies.

ugoo18

I think i'm done (Burned out) with DS2, i'm about 1/2 through NG+ and i really am not motivated to play on. Which is really different to my DS1 experience, i got upto NG+++ before finally being burned out.

I was rereading the Edge review of Dark Souls II now that I'm 50 hours in and I came across this:

Anyone care to guess what they're talking about? I'll admit I'm quite dense when it comes to lore/story that isn't explicitly presented to me, but I have no idea what they could be referring to.

That is most likely it, it's a very powerful scene considering the build up.

From's curious and expansive naming system is one of their best qualities. It is sometimes whimsical and other times brilliant.

Even simple things like "Skeptics Spice" show a great command of language in conveying the purpose of an item in the context of gameplay and lore.

Grief.exe

Just as you’re starting to feel that the end is in sight, it transpires that FromSoftware has other ideas. The difficulty ratchets up yet another notch, the world design team sends you to greater heights and new depths, and you realise that the single greatest way in which Dark Souls II differs from its predecessor is that, rather than tailing off towards the end, it just keeps getting better. This late-game rug-pull pivots around a single moment in which not a sword is swung nor a word is spoken. It’s a remarkable scene that serves to remind you what FromSoftware does better than any studio in the world – finding beauty in the darkness and majesty in the grotesque.

There are some powerful scenes in the latter half of the game.

First seeing Drangleic Castle, walking into Shrine, lighting the Undead Crypt, seeing
King Vendrick
, the Dragon Aerie,
giant memories

I would imagine he is referring to King Vendrick.

The entire game, both Shanlotte and Nashandra are pushing you to, 'seek larger and more powerful souls. Seek the King.'

Much like Gwynn in the first game, you think the entire journey is building up to a climactic confrontation with the King.
You have an intense fight with the Kings guardian, Velstadt before coming to the King. You walk in on him and he is completely decript and hollowed.

You then come to the realization that you were being manipulated. They weren't pushing you to get to the King, but what he had locked away.

I have a question about Lucatiel quest

If I die before Lucatiel in the boss fight that count as a FAIL to obtain his set?

Just summon Lucatiel again. You can attempt as many times as necessary, the only condition for success is both you and Lucatiel survive. If Lucatiel dies during battle, bone out of there.

DinHerio

Banned
The only two bosses left are
Ancient Dragon and Vendrick
before I jump over to NG+.
Got
Ancient Dragon
down to maybe 15%, I cried a little while
he burnt my tears and flesh

Stet

Banned
Freja was really fun as melee. Bullshit though that spiders cause so much weapon degradation, I went through two swords just to get to the end of her and had no weapons left to kill the enemies afterwards.

Mr Git

'Betwixt' comes from Old English, meaning between. The phrase 'betwixt and between' means being in a middling or undecided position. I always assumed this was due to the portal where you originally start, and the 'undecided' being your character creation, or even if you as a player want to head further into Drangleic.
Generally From seem pretty excellent in using archaic forms for stylistic effect. Shame there was certainly less of it in this game that the previous, many descriptions are in plain modern English - with clear instructions.

seph1roth

Just summon Lucatiel again. You can attempt as many times as necessary, the only condition for success is both you and Lucatiel survive. If Lucatiel dies during battle, bone out of there.

So, if Lucatiel dies at the battle but i WIN the battle, it doesn't count, but if i die and re-summon Lucatiel and then i win the battle that counts? Even if it's the same battle?

Because with de demon from Iron keep, i died a lot of times but Lucatiel didn't died, and then in a final attempt finally i killed that boss and Lucatiel survived

That counts as a WIN for his quest?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Farfire stats just updated moments ago. Still trying to use this to glean sales numbers. The "Total Clears" just increased to 52,282. It's not clear exactly what this number is, but I'm going to assume it refers to players seeing the credits and getting the achievement "The Heir" for this analysis.

From Steam, that achievement is sitting at 19.3%. This would give 271K players who have played the game on PC. Seems like this number should be higher based on concurrent numbers from opening weekend, so either my assumptions are way off, or the game is selling well, but not gangbusters.

271k sounds like great and reasonable figures.

Well I feel silly no dying about 20 times to the dude now. Also I kinda missing the Havok ragdolls :(

GOD me too. I feel like if we could better modify the code that's the sort of thing we might be able to change. Enemies react physically with EVERYTHING in the world but the character, what I'm saying is probably really dumb.

I assumed Betwixt is meant to mean that it's sort of the gate into the world from the black abyss you enter through. You're no longer in your own world, but you're not really in Drangleic yet either. You're in the space between.

I mean, you start the game in perpetual twilight moonlight, and not far off is the sunset. I think it's a separate gate like area.

lighting the Undead Crypt

What do you mean lighting the UndeadCrypt...?

eot

Banned
Finished it last night. I like it a lot less than Dark Souls overall. Almost no memorable bosses and even the memorable ones don't compare to the best ones in DkS. Darklurker was probably my favourite fight. Last Giant was alright too because it actually had some mood (which is the key thing missing from DkS2's bosses IMO). Chariot was cool in concept but not that great in practice. The Gwyn equivalent lacks all the emotion it had in DkS. Aside from a few exceptions the levels don't loop around in interesting ways and instead of shortcuts there are just more bonfires. Obviously there are hitbox issues, some enemies have infinite stamina, some bosses barely hurt their own minions with attacks that can 1-shot you, the nerfed roll makes the game less fun IMO and ADP shouldn't exist.

It's still good, it just lost all the brilliance. Even in subtle things like the style of the writing for the NPCs. I also didn't like the ending very much.

I think I'll still do an SL1 run though.

Typomancer

Neo Member
Got done with a marathon of sunbro’ing. 24 medals in one night. Almost all of them from
the Scorpioness
oddly enough, and I’m at like 1.5 million soul memory. I did not think I’d be summoned so much but it was like clockwork.

Surprising how many people have so much trouble on certain bosses. The only one that has given me grief was
the Rotten
, but overcame that fight by getting naked and rolling around like a crazy person.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Who do you all think had the best voice acting in the game?

I really, reallllly loved the voice actor for the Bell dwarf guys. They sound so completely manic and intense.

Finished it last night. I like it a lot less than Dark Souls overall. Almost no memorable bosses and even the memorable ones don't compare to the best ones in DkS. Darklurker was probably my favourite fight. Last Giant was alright too because it actually had some mood (which is the key thing missing from DkS2's bosses IMO). Chariot was cool in concept but not that great in practice. The Gwyn equivalent lacks all the emotion it had in DkS. Aside from a few exceptions the levels don't loop around in interesting ways and instead of shortcuts there are just more bonfires. Obviously there are hitbox issues, some enemies have infinite stamina, some bosses barely hurt their own minions with attacks that can 1-shot you, the nerfed roll makes the game less fun IMO and ADP shouldn't exist.

It's still good, it just lost all the brilliance. Even in subtle things like the style of the writing for the NPCs. I also didn't like the ending very much.

I think it makes the game feel weird at first but adaptability is totally a worthwhile stat.

burgerdog

Got done with a marathon of sunbro’ing. 24 medals in one night. Almost all of them from
the Scorpioness
oddly enough, and I’m at like 1.5 million soul memory. I did not think I’d be summoned so much but it was like clockwork.

Surprising how many people have so much trouble on certain bosses. The only one that has given me grief was
the Rotten
, but overcame that fight by getting naked and rolling around like a crazy person.

This game needs a personal death log, just have menu with every enemy that has killed you and x amount of times.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This game needs a personal death log, just have menu with every enemy that has killed you and x amount of times.

Not anywhere near as comprehensive as you're saying, but if you go offline and check the total deaths worldwide in Majula, it just gives you your stats so you can at least see how many deaths you had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom