• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

So how is the rest of 5? If 5-3 and on is as bad as 5-2 then I'm going to try to clear that area completely before I do anything else in the game.

Typomancer

Neo Member
Who do you all think had the best voice acting in the game?

I really like all the dialogue from Vengarl. His VA played the part well and it made a certain event later on in the game bear a lot more weight.

I think it makes the game feel weird at first but adaptability is totally a worthwhile stat.

Personally, I dislike it. I dislike how many useful things are split up now. Feels like bad design taking into account how inconclusive AGL seems, and if it actually does make your roll better… why? Why was that needed. It just feels awful being completely unsure of whether your dodge will work or completely fail by a millisecond despite the animation still going on. Like there isn’t enough feedback on what will work or not—they should have changed the roll animation depending on the level of AGL if the i-frames truly do get increased.

This game needs a personal death log, just have menu with every enemy that has killed you and x amount of times.

You can see how many times you’ve died if you go check the statue/monument in Majula if you’re in offline mode. Be wary of despair.

Voice acting reminds me of something I thought was kind of odd. End game spoilers -
When you talk to the Emerald Herald right at the start of Dragon Aerie (the conversation where she gives you the feather)... did anyone else feel something was different about her voice? I could have sworn it was a different person speaking altogether. Did anyone else pick up on that or was I just imagining it?

edit - ok I am not imagining this. Watch this video from 2:20 onwards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrTUcAro6XU

NBtoaster

I really, reallllly loved the voice actor for the Bell dwarf guys. They sound so completely manic and intense.

Yeah the dwarves are good. I like Shalquoir's voice, sounds exactly how a cat should.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Personally, I dislike it. I dislike how many useful things are split up now. Feels like bad design taking into account how inconclusive AGL seems, and if it actually does make your roll better… why? Why was that needed. It just feels awful being completely unsure of whether your dodge will work or completely fail by a millisecond despite the animation still going on. Like there isn’t enough feedback on what will work or not—they should have changed the roll animation depending on the level of AGL if the i-frames truly do get increased.

I didn't like it at first either, until I realized I was like half way through the game and already over SL120. You get a LOT of level ups in this game, as well as some pretty early soft caps, so having the stats spread is totally reasonable I feel.

You can light up some of it just after the grave wardens that big bit there.

What the fuuuuuck. I gotta check that out brb.

BadWolf

At AGL 20 I was rolling around pretty confidently at slightly under 50% equipment rate tbh, didn't get the stat up any higher during the play through.

Getting hit while trying to roll was usually my fault, either doing it too early or too late. I also tried various timings and can confirm that the invincibility lasts quite a while on the roll.

Nibel

Question: can't I begin the Royal Sorcerer Navlaan quest line if I've released him? Is there a option to reset this without starting a new playthrough?

Ruuppa

Question: can't I begin the Royal Sorcerer Navlaan quest line if I've released him? Is there a option to reset this without starting a new playthrough?

If you released him, you can't start his questline, since his Dark Side has gotten out.

Zia

Two PvP questions: a) what is the best (where I'm guaranteed the most action) late game covenant for PvP? Still Bell Keepers? And b) why have I never been invaded? Not once.

Nibel

If you released him, you can't start his questline, since his Dark Side has gotten out.

knIm6om.png

Ruuppa

Two PvP questions: a) what is the best (where I'm guaranteed the most action) late game covenant for PvP? Still Bell Keepers? And b) why have I never been invaded? Not once.

a) Bellkeepers by far, but it's not really suited for 1v1 duels. Slapping your red sign/dragon eye down at the bridge in Iron Keep is a good spot for proper duels. YMMV.

Cracked Blue Orbs are good, but you only have a limited amount of them, unless you're in NG+.

b) Bad luck? If you roll around in Human form all the time, you should get some invasions eventually. But it's mostly luck-based. If you do a couple of Cracked Red Orb invasions, you'll be getting a huge amount of arbiter invasions though.

Nibel

Don't you dare. Don't you dare. Don't you dare. Don't you dare.

You dared.

Probably the dumbest and most unnecessary mistake in my entire playthrough; I've read all the messages on the ground and didn't even check what's on the other side before pulling that damn lever

Means I must do it NG+..

Blinck

So... only after 58 hours with this game did I realize that hidden walls are opened by tapping "A" and not by attacking...

I spent the whole fucking game without opening 1 single secret door besides Pharros doors. I thought they didn't even exist since I went in blind without watching any videos, and that they had been replaced by Pharros doors.

I thought that all those messages saying illusory wall ahead were just for fun to make people lose durability on weapons...

Fuck me...

Typomancer

Neo Member
I didn't like it at first either, until I realized I was like half way through the game and already over SL120. You get a LOT of level ups in this game, as well as some pretty early soft caps, so having the stats spread is totally reasonable I feel.

I found the AGL from Attunement to be more than sufficient (got it up to 90 with 25 ATT, I dunno), and Attunement just feels like a better stat to have. Hell, just getting some kind of magic is tremendously empowering, and since I rerolled I was putting my levels in an even spread with some more Vigor and a lot of Faith (because I love being a sunbro).

It’s the requirements for certain things that’s a killer (looking at you, Sunlight Spear). I can’t really spare points for ADP, which is still at 5, even at SL140+. And I don’t seem to have any problems except on certain boss moves with stupidly huge hitboxes that linger for awhile. And that’s what I mean by hating the lack of feedback based on how many i-frames you have or not.

I’ll probably use a Soul Vessel eventually and fix a few stat issues once I am positive of the weapons and armor I want to use. I have a Bastard Sword +10 and a Lightning Zweihander +10, intending to use Sunlight Blade on the Zweihander once I get the miracle. But I’m always wondering about what I will do when it comes to PvP.

If only the Alonne Knight set wasn’t so heavy, otherwise my Vitality wouldn’t be more than my Vigor, haha. I really miss Dark Souls 1 Endurance. ):

I thought that all those messages saying illusory wall ahead were just for fun to make people lose durability on weapons...

A lot of those messages are indeed for fun. Sucks that you didn’t know about the change. At least there’s something to look forward to if you’d like to revisit some areas, eh?

Ruuppa

So... only after 58 hours with this game did I realize that hidden walls are opened by tapping "A" and not by attacking...

I spent the whole fucking game without opening 1 single secret door besides Pharros doors. I thought they didn't even exist since I went in blind without watching any videos, and that they had been replaced by Pharros doors.

Fuck me...

I met a host like you in Aldia's Keep. Me and another phantom were pointing towards the
secret bonfire room
, but the host just kept trying to hit the wall and acting confused. This went on for a good few minutes before we gave up.

maomaoIYP

Iron keep bridge and BoB arena.
Set your cross region play settings to allowed. There are rarely invasions in NG anyway.

Fuck me...

Ah crap, I thought the exact same thing.

Blinck

A lot of those messages are indeed for fun. Sucks that you didn’t know about the change. At least there’s something to look forward to if you’d like to revisit some areas, eh?

That's true, New Game + is gonna be even more exciting hehe

I met a host like you in Aldia's Keep. Me and another phantom were pointing towards the
secret bonfire room
, but the host just kept trying to hit the wall and acting confused. This went on for a good few minutes before we gave up.

I can feel his pain... I mean I saw so many messages that had high ratings that I thought "man this is really weird".. but I kept hitting the walls and nothing happened so I thought it was just to make people lose durability

Ah crap, I thought the exact same thing.

At least I'm not alone :D

Probably the dumbest and most unnecessary mistake in my entire playthrough; I've read all the messages on the ground and didn't even check what's on the other side before pulling that damn lever

Means I must do it NG+..

I've made this mistake as well..
And let me tell you...that guy is a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS...he has invaded me like 4 or 5 times since I released the motherfucker and he is not so easy to deal with..

Is there anyway to stop him from invading? Like killing his body or something ( if he is still there )

Ruuppa

And let me tell you...that guy is a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS...he has invaded me like 4 or 5 times since I released the motherfucker and he is not so easy to deal with..

Is there anyway to stop him from invading? Like killing his body or something ( if he is still there )

Killing him as an invader enough times should stop him from respawning. Remember to be in Champions when you kill him! Awestones aplenty.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Or Anal Rondo, if you're on 4chan.

No, 4chan uses "Anal Rodeo."

I'm wondering if at SL 80-ish and like 1million SM or whatever if
three skeletons
is a good place to Sunbro it up for rank 3.

Also keep in mind that he uses Dark magic, so use any Dark resistance you have, makes him way easier.

AngryMoth

No, 4chan uses "Anal Rodeo."

three skeletons
At 1m SM
double dragonrider
or
looking glass knight
will be the most populated spots is imagine.

I finally finished my first playthrough last night. Now I can finally watch streams and investigate the secrets and read up on lore. I've never kept myself so much in the dark while playing a game before but it definitely made the game more satisfying.

Roche

Agggghhh was doing a perfect
Ancient Dragon
run when I accidentally somehow ran off the edge.

He was down to 1/5th health too :(

misho8723

Banned

Fuck me...

WHAT?... fuck me... how the fuck should we know about this change?... not a hidden wall was open by me this whole time.. thanks for this message, because otherwise i wouldn't know about this till the end

yatesl

Man, getting to
Darklurker
is hard enough. Do I really need to clear the area every time? I'm going through
the portal in the castle.

Haunted

"Ascetic" is a rarely used word. In fact, the only other time I've heard it used in my entire life is with the "Ascetic Virtues" research project in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

It's kind of similar to how in Mass Effect 2+, a lot of people think that Martin Sheen's character is named "Elusive Man", instead of "Illusive Man".

---

I haven't been doing much with pyro, sorc, hexes much -- what would be considered the typical bread-and-butter ranged spells for those? (the analogue to the Lightning / Great Lightning / Sunlight Spear line for faith)
For Pyro, that'd be Fireball, Great Fireball and Great Chaos Fireball. Though I only used one of those and complemented that with the Storm and Mist pyromancies.

Sorcery (as usual) has by far the most options, with Soul Arrow, Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Soul Arrow, Great Heavy Soul Arrow, Homing Soul Arrow, Heavy Homing Soul Arrow... fucking sorcerers always getting the good stuff. :mad:

I would imagine he is referring to King Vendrick.

The entire game, both Shanlotte and Nashandra are pushing you to, 'seek larger and more powerful souls. Seek the King.'

Much like Gwynn in the first game, you think the entire journey is building up to a climactic confrontation with the King.
You have an intense fight with the Kings guardian, Velstadt before coming to the King. You walk in on him and he is completely decript and hollowed.

You then come to the realization that you were being manipulated. They weren't pushing you to get to the King, but what he had locked away.
Well said.

A great moment that appears anticlimactic at first, but when you realise the implications... oh my. Good shit.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I originally was dual wielding greatswords because it looked bad ass, but man just double handing one great sword is way better. Less stamina, faster, and a way better moveset.

Means I must do it NG+..

I got screwed over because I got to the top and the door with the dragon statue in front of it wouldn't open.

Someone left a mesage saying "Try lever!" so I thought "Of course, that lever downstairs!" and ran down and pulled it. I went back up top and the door was still closed, then I looked at the dragon statue and realized it had a pulley on it and fuckin faaaaceee palmedddd.

I thought it was gonna be some fire spitting contraption like most dragon statues!

I'll get the forbidden sun on NG+ I guess.

Man, getting to
Darklurker
is hard enough. Do I really need to clear the area every time? I'm going through
the portal in the castle.

Shaded woods is way, waaaay easier.

NEO0MJ

So, what the best way to deal with
King Vendrick? He loses almost no health, no health at all! I was hoping I could beat the game on my first run without summoning people but I might be forced to for this fight. Is there some spacial trick to it?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So, what the best way to deal with
King Vendrick? He loses almost no health, no health at all! I was hoping I could beat the game on my first run without summoning people but I might be forced to for this fight. Is there some spacial trick to it?

His defense lowers depending on
how many Giant Souls you have.

5 is the max.

Haunted

I finally finished my first playthrough last night. Now I can finally watch streams and investigate the secrets and read up on lore. I've never kept myself so much in the dark while playing a game before but it definitely made the game more satisfying.
*high fives*

Really the best way to experience the game. Reading up on the lore afterwards and seeing some of the links that were needed to really connect all the dots... good stuff.

WHAT?... fuck me... how the fuck should we know about this change?... not a hidden wall was open by me this whole time.. thanks for this message, because otherwise i wouldn't know about this till the end
:D no way to know! Especially since there are still "illusory" walls in the game you remove by attacking (like those shown by Pharros and weak/destabilised walls) - I only realised it when seeing someone do it in a Youtube video, I must've missed so many of them in the early game...

Typomancer

Neo Member
three skeletons

I got done with a marathon sunbro quest last night and into the morning, got 24 medals in the Shaded Ruins helping people fight
Quelaag 2.0, aka the Scorpioness
. And I am at SL145, so I was really surprised. Almost makes me think the game will show your sign to people if there are not a lot of folks online and putting signs down no matter their level.

You may have luck at Sinner’s Rise. I had no luck at Black Gulch, which was weird since I think the boss there is a lot harder than the one at Shaded Ruins.

Just beware of people who buffed their bonfires with Ascetics. If something is taking a few more strikes to kill than usual, you will be in for a fight. I find the hosts that do this generally get oneshot by the boss, so prepare to tank if possible.

Grief.exe

What do you mean lighting the UndeadCrypt...?

There is a secret area where you can light a torch and braziers get lit throughout the crypt. Really cool.

EDIT: Beaten.

Farfire stats just updated moments ago. Still trying to use this to glean sales numbers. The "Total Clears" just increased to 52,282. It's not clear exactly what this number is, but I'm going to assume it refers to players seeing the credits and getting the achievement "The Heir" for this analysis.

From Steam, that achievement is sitting at 19.3%. This would give 271K players who have played the game on PC. Seems like this number should be higher based on concurrent numbers from opening weekend, so either my assumptions are way off, or the game is selling well, but not gangbusters.

I did that calculation originally and it almost never ended up correctly. Something is throwing those results way off.

ElFly

I really, reallllly loved the voice actor for the Bell dwarf guys. They sound so completely manic and intense.

I think it makes the game feel weird at first but adaptability is totally a worthwhile stat.

Straid, FEEBLE CURSED ONE!

So how do I get at this item? Haha
ds2_what_is_this_by_realghostvids-d7hu99g.jpg

Here's what I think happened:

I ran past the red phantom who appears near there and the big animated dragon skeleton managed to kill the phantom. I guess either the hit was so violent that it pushed the phantom up into the wall or the drop was just super weird. I was farming Petrified Dragon Bone with ascetics and it didn't happen each time.

Grief.exe

Was this posted?

Namco did a Q/A session on Dark Souls II http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558755529569809677/#p1

Now that Dark Souls II is out on PC we (Bandai Namco Games) would like to field any on-going or outstanding questions you have about the game. We see comments, concerns, bug reports, rants, and raves all over. And it's quite difficult to keep up with all the different conversations happening in different places. But we'd like to help you get answers to some of your questions regarding the game. Bear in mind that we are not the developers, that honor still sits with FromSoftware, but we are constantly sending feedback their way. We're committed to making sure your opinions are heard and you have a great Dark Souls II experience.
We'll do our best to answer any questions posted in this thread. If there's a question that we don't know the answer to or can't answer at this time, we'll try to notate that.
If you have questions about ongoing bug reports, cheaters, bans, game functionality, leave them in this thread and we'll update over the next few days with as many answers as possible.
What is the status on the VAC ban issue?
Progress on this issue has been slow-going. FromSoftware and our Bandai Namco Games office in Japan are in contact with Valve and are working through this currently. We hope to have a resolution soon and we'll let you know as soon as we hear more information.
What does Bandai Namco Games or FromSoftware plan to do with potential cheating/hacking in Dark Souls II?
The Dark Souls II server team is constantly monitoring player activity. If a player has stats or weapons that they shouldn't, the server team is tracking that. It is up to the Dark Souls II server team to submit to Valve what they would like to ban, in terms of hacks and cheats, and then VAC will take care of the bans. As we progress, we'll do our best to share what information is provided to us by FromSoftware, but any cheat, hack, or player bans are up to the discretion of the Dark Souls II server team. If you have specific questions about this - You can reach out to our game support: North/South America: http://support.bandainamcogames.com/ Other Territories: http://www.bandainamcogames.co.uk/support
You can read more about how VAC works (and how to report a cheat) here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=370
Any official word on whether or not [insert any of the popular mods here] will trigger VAC on Dark Souls 2?
No official word yet. As FromSoftware starts to define more and more cheats, we have communicated and detailed the harmless mods that some users have been using. In the end we can't say for sure, since that is up to the Dark Souls II server team, but we'll let everyone know what we learn as these conversations progress. Although if there is a thread or an information hub somewhere that has a list of all these mods and how they actually affect game files, that will help as we supply more information to FromSoftware. Thanks for the info - I think we have all the info we need.
We know the consoles couldn't handle the lightning that was shown in the trailers, so why was it removed from the PC?
The only comment that we have made on this is sharing FromSoftware's response: Throughout the game development process, a game is constantly being balanced not only in game playability, but also in the realm of resource management.
A developer is always challenged with creating the most rewarding gaming experience while delivering continuity in graphical quality, gameplay dynamics, and balance within the game. The final version of Dark Souls II displays the culmination of this delicate balance and we’re very proud of the positive media and fan reception for the game."
What is the situation with the PC servers?? Are the conection problems solved or are you still working on it??
We had a hiccup May 2nd and 6th. Servers are currently up and running now, if you are still experiencing more connectivity issues, make sure to get in touch with support so we can help troubleshoot. We hope that everything will be more stable moving forward.
I am still having this crash, any word on when this will be fixed? Frustrating paying $50 for a game and not being able to play it for 2 weeks.
If you are still experiencing a crash at startup (and your system meets the minimum requirements) be sure to get in touch with our support team and they'll walk you through next-steps from there.
Do you have any insight as to why the LGK bosses lightning sword attacks are about a billion decibels louder then anything else in the game?
We do not know why that seems to be the case. We'll follow up with our QA team today though. Thanks for the heads-up!
Is there any chance you could add option to remove mouse delay on attacks? Will you ever fix UI showing pad buttons while playing on mouse/keyboard?
We've read through almost all player feedback on Keyboard and Mouse controls and have passed them along to the developer. If we hear of any changes coming to the controls, we'll let you know.
I have Internet connectivity problems that cause me to connect and disconnect randomly. This creates scenarios where I am restricted in online gameplay. This is one of the biggest problems I have with the game
If the Dark Souls II servers detect multiple disconnections or failed connections, you will be temporarily limited from joining multiplayer sessions. You can also try using the 'Bone of Order' item, which will attempt to restore links to other worlds.
Does From Software consider changing some of the not so popular gameplay elements?
This is always possible in the future. We have gathered feedback, read forums, and talked with many community members regarding limited respawns, Soul Memory, etc. In the end these are design choices that are made by FromSoftware, but we are definitely discussing your feedback with them.
Why is there no offline mode ingame?
The integration of offline/on-line gameplay is how FromSoftware has designed the game. If you would like to play completely offline, you can always disable your internet connection.
From what I understand then FromSoftware are monitoring things such as stats. So what (if anything) happens if a save gets corrupted and someone is forced to use an earlier save where the stats are much lower?
When we say FromSoftware are monitoring stats, they are monitoring things like if a character is Soul Level 50, but has 99 Vitality. That can't be accomplished through normal gameplay.
Are there still server issues? Messages are rare for me, and summon signs are literally non existent. My roommate has the same SM as my main character, and there's nothing we can to do even see each other. We've tried the name ring too, and nothing works. This has only been a problem since yesterday's server outage
From what we understand, servers should be working properly. If you are seeing weird issues like this and everything was fine before the last server outage, get in touch with our support so we can document the issue and troubleshoot. North/South America: http://support.bandainamcogames.com/ Other Territories: http://www.bandainamcogames.co.uk/support
Is there anything being done about weapon durability degrading so quickly when hitting corpses?
From what we understand, this functionality is intentional. We've passed along feedback to the developer and it is always possible that this updated in future calibrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom