• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

So I made it to Drangleic Castle on my first char, but stopped playing because I only would advance when both myself and my friend would play (we essentially play simultaneously, yet we never co-op). Our schedules weren't syncing up lately, so I started another NG character that I wanted to do strictly solo run (as I summoned on my first char).
... In half the time, without skipping even a single boss, I've already caught up to myself >_<
I love, how every time you go through an area, it seems to get smaller and smaller. No Man's Wharf seemed like this epic, long trek the first time through on my first character, but now it just looks tiny to me. Same with The Gutter.

So I made it to Drangleic Castle on my first char, but stopped playing because I only would advance when both myself and my friend would play (we essentially play simultaneously, yet we never co-op). Our schedules weren't syncing up lately, so I started another NG character that I wanted to do strictly solo run (as I summoned on my first char).
... In half the time, without skipping even a single boss, I've already caught up to myself >_<

That's Souls for you. Experience with the levels, enemies and your own mastery of mechanics can make subsequent plays a lot more efficient.

Luigi87

I love, how every time you go through an area, it seems to get smaller and smaller. No Man's Wharf seemed like a huge, long trek the first time through and now it seems so tiny to me.

Now that one I definitely noticed. First time I went, spent an entire evening there. Second character, was done in a half an hour or so, lol (took me a bit longer because I could not remember where the Ring of Life Protection was). It was a real eye opener.

So I just had a duel with a guy wearing an awesome golden armor (and he kicked my ass). Anybody has any clue what armor that might be?

edit:

I'm at the end of the game and I still have this armor since the 2nd boss, freaking hilarious.
lol I think that might be it, what set is that again?

Mistel

Banned
So I just had a duel with a guy wearing an awesome golden armor (and he kicked my ass). Anybody has any clue what armor that might be?

lol I think that might be it, what set is that again?
That's the old knight set which isn't golden it is copper.

You might be talking about this set:
6ZgdthR.png

Black dragon set.

Durante

I love, how every time you go through an area, it seems to get smaller and smaller. No Man's Wharf seemed like this epic, long trek the first time through on my first character, but now it just looks tiny to me. Same with The Gutter.
Yeah, this is something I've noticed in all the Souls games. The more often you revisit an area, the more straightforward it seems. I think it's a testament to how the games force you to play extremely carefully and reward you for exploring every nook and cranny the first time you enter an area.

In other news, I just found the path from the
Grave of Saints
which loops back to the entrance of
The Gutter
, that was pretty neat.

yatesl

I found that to be the case in the first, too - especially when I did NG+ and ++ in it. The first time through, you crawl, fighting every enemy, opening every door. After a few deaths, you're just running past every enemy, and rolling out of their attacks.

In some of the more annoying areas in this game, I ended up doing that after 2 deaths - just thinking "Right, I'm done here". The games are actually quite small, that way.

AngryMoth

WHAT THE FUCK! Someone just parried me when they were in the middle of a role. I knew backstop parries were a thing, don't tell there's role parries as well?!

Finished it.

Ultimately, I think it's an inferior game to Dark Souls in many ways. In fact, with the way that the game is designed, I think this is more Demon's Souls 2 than Dark Souls 2, to be honest. It lacks that sense of being an interconnected world that you're exploring. It's far more "video-gamey" with bite-size zones and lots of warping around.

Is that bad? Of course not, it's a great game. Is it slightly disappointing it's inferior to Dark Souls? Yes.

zkylon

zkylewd
well gotten as far as the aldia's keep so i'm calling it a day

most bosses were pretty easy but i randomly summoned a npc during the mirror knight fight and i think i missed out on an epic fight for that, so kinda bummed about being weak for it

anyways, i can barely remember which places i should use the
king's
ring on, the three places i remember are:
in the castle in forest of giants. tried this one but it only had one of those creepy trees and nothing more i think? kinda cool reaching this place it was cut off before but pretty disappointing
the door in the fork road in shaded woods, which lead me to aldia's keep and i guess is where i should be going
there was a door i found on the black gulch also, but i haven't tried that one yet as i'd rather not visit black gulch again heh

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sinner's Rise
is the biggest piece of shit area ever. :(

Edit: I forgot that I barely put any points into ADP whatsoever, might need that to dodgeroll attacks in water.

BadWolf

Finished it.

Ultimately, I think it's an inferior game to Dark Souls in many ways. In fact, with the way that the game is designed, I think this is more Demon's Souls 2 than Dark Souls 2, to be honest. It lacks that sense of being an interconnected world that you're exploring. It's far more "video-gamey" with bite-size zones and lots of warping around.

Is that bad? Of course not, it's a great game. Is it slightly disappointing it's inferior to Dark Souls? Yes.

Lack of interconnection was a bummer but I really appreciated the fact that warping was available from the getgo, a lot less time wasted.

Uthred

Beat
Ancient Dragon
and
Vendrick
, zero sense of achievement, just a sense of relief that I dont need to bother doing AD again

So is playing the game as a pure sorcerer easier?

Hexs, Faith and Pyromancy are all superior to pure sorcery. Sorcery doesnt really become "OP" till endgame, its also ok in the very beginning, but for most of the mid game it lags considerably. Sorcery isnt paricularly easier than playing with a good ranged weapon.

People keep talking about crazy hit boxes how are people experiencing this?

I got done by that infamous Pursuer one, though in fariness thats not an issue with the hitbox, its an issue with the animation, I saw it clip my leg but it was still funny that next second Im dangling in the air.

Vitor711

Sinner's Rise
is the biggest piece of shit area ever. :(

It's not too bad if you make use of the summon sign for a certain NPC after the ride down.

Also, the fast enemies are easy kills with any fast weapon (fire broadsword especially) while the large guys can be taken out purely by your helpful friend. Also, since their attention won't be on you, you can get easy backstabs.

Ghost23

So I bought a wired 360 controller because maybe that would work instead of the DS4 controller. Wrong. I can't get either controller to work in the game.

Eyeh4wk

Finished it.

The characters and the sidequests weren't that interest, either, for me.

Nerokis

Finished it.

I have to agree. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'd say it's inferior to Dark Souls in almost every way. The core combat, the storytelling, the level design, the characterization, the boss/enemy design . . . pretty much everything. One big exception being online play, certainly. I love the game, for sure, and I plan to go back to it in time to see how it holds up. 78 hours later, though, I think I'm done for awhile.

It's funny you mention Demon's Souls, because I'm about to play that for the very first time. I realize it's a very different game in terms of world design, but I'm hoping the levels and the combat feel more Dark Souls-y. I don't really know what to expect, but knowing there's much more overlap in teams between Demon's and the original Dark, it would be funny if I felt more at home playing Demon's than I did playing Dark Souls 2.

Leezard

I have to agree. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'd say it's inferior to Dark Souls in almost every way. The core combat, the storytelling, the level design, the characterization, the boss/enemy design . . . pretty much everything. One big exception being online play, certainly. I love the game, for sure, and I plan to go back to it in time to see how it holds up. 78 hours later, though, I think I'm done for awhile.

It's funny you mention Demon's Souls, because I'm about to play that for the very first time. I realize it's a very different game in terms of world design, but I'm hoping the levels and the combat feel more Dark Souls-y. I don't really know what to expect, but knowing there's much more overlap in teams between Demon's and the original Dark, it would be funny if I felt more at home playing Demon's than I did playing Dark Souls 2.
Just be prepared to get less different weapon attacks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Welp, I think 700,000 soul memory is dead for
Three skeletons
I'm not getting summoned an--

Oh, there we go. Just taking longer than usual, I guess...

Perfectly put :)

Mistel

Banned
Welp, I think 700,000 soul memory is dead for
Three skeletons
I'm not getting summoned an--

Oh, there we go. Just taking longer than usual, I guess...
You are probably nearing the cut off for it as you can nearly open the shrine of winter and most people would have long surpassed the copse.

BadWolf

DeS has the best world of the three imo, probably my favorite game overall in the series still as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I bought a wired 360 controller because maybe that would work instead of the DS4 controller. Wrong. I can't get either controller to work in the game.

Make sure you have no other controllers connected to your PC, or things that can be viewed as controllers, OR bluetooth receivers that have had a controller connected to them at some point.

DSII only recognizes the first controller that's connected.

I understand your concerns, although my idea wouldn't allow for such scenarios. For example: Suppose I want to Co-op at FoFG and I get summoned by a character whose SL is 10. I'm at SL 300, so the procedure would be as follows:

Keep every stats untouched. DEX, STR, FTH, etc but soft-cap them all behind the curtains (multiply it by a proportionate percentage, like 0.09% when the breach between characters is abysmal) so that.

My current FTH deals between 1000 and 2000 damage with a single Sunlight Spear. If I get summoned by a low level character, by applying a soft cap to every single stat I have, I would be dealing (1000 ~ 2000) * 0.09 damage, which translates to 90 ~ 180.

If I have a +5 Santier's Spear that deals ~1300 damage for each combo, that would mean I would be dealing 1300 * 0.09 = 117 .

The percentage of downgrade should be proportionate to the difference between Soul Levels of the host and its summon. That would entirely balance the game. Everyone could use their crazy Hexes and Miracles but they would only deal less damage.

90% downgrade for a difference of 250 SL's and above.
80% downgrade for a difference of 220 SL's.
70% for 190.
60% for 140.
50% for 100.
40% for 70.
30% for 40.
20% for 20.
10% for 10.

That could work, but they would absolutely need to get the percentages right to where you didn't feel completely gimped.

moop1167

Is there a bug with sunlight medals? I just summoned a sunbro and killed a boss, but didn't get one. His sign was a "big" sign too, unless dropping a small soapstone when you are a sunbro makes it appear as a big one.

eot

Banned
Started an SL1 CoC run and killed the first four bosses. Old Dragonslayer took a few tries but the good old circlestrafe is too much for him to handle :|

Leezard

There's less variety in movesets, you mean? I usually stick to a handful of weapons, anyway, so I'll probably be good if I can find at least a few standouts.

Both less variety and that you have less attacks to use. I can't remember exactly, but I think there is a lack of a jump attack, perhaps something else.

It was one of the first things I noticed when moving from DkS1 to DeS.

AngryMoth

Just got invaded by a guy I had previously destroyed. He sees it's me, runs away into the level and when I refuse to follow he BSCs out :D

McHuj

Any recommendations on where to use a bonfire ascetic? I'm mainly a str/dex build so I'm not too interested in magic items.

Mistel

Banned
Any recommendations on where to use a bonfire ascetic? I'm mainly a str/dex build so I'm not too interested in magic items.
Drangelic castle for ring of blades +2 maybe but's that all I can thing of unless you want the butcher's axe(scaling is crap so infuse it and enjoy), crypt black sword and dragon slayer great bow. In that case that would be the second black gulch bonfire and efygil's idol in iron keep.

TheSeks

You are probably nearing the cut off for it as you can nearly open the shrine of winter and most people would have long surpassed the copse.

Well, I'm doing
Earthen Peaks
now since it's another easy boss. I need the medals.

TheSeks

Both of them are easy you should have enough soon but if it goes a bit slow try the old iron king.

I haven't even been there yet on my own. D: I'm mostly dicking around trying to get the medals just in case the online dies in NG before I worry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom