• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
Pulled the switch in aldias ignoring all the warnings. I had no idea what it did. Now I do.

Fml

I did that too. Some areas weren't so bad.

Except brightstone cove. Holy shit hexes everywhere, death in 2 seconds, everything homes on you and your screen is full of black while surrounded by enemies.

How the fuck?

Ok, guys, I got invaded for the first time and for real (not counting the "bellbros", goddamn you all who made clearing Sol/Luna a 2-day ordeal, I NEVER got summoned to defend the bells, how does this freaking covenant even work, ugh...) at the Cardinal Tower where Mild-manered Pate sits. Thank god I could get rid of the invader but holy shit the lag. I hit him three times with the Zweihander and didn't cause any damage. One second later the hits register, I stagger him and turns he also hit me.

Switched to Great Soul Arrow and spammed a bit to keep him at bay. All the hits took like a second to register as well. This invader had to be either from Japan or Australia to have this ridiculously lag (the name itself sounded japanese too...)

Oh, and got summoned by the Mirror Knight (errr, Looking Glass Knight in the downgradeaton edition) and it was fun to be the party popper. Well, not really, I almost killed the world master but they had summoned sunbros that made short work of my poor little knight-mage.

I also got the Ashen Mist Heart. Where do I go from here? Those giant memories things? I'm pretty close to the end right? (Took me almost 40 hours, holy crap!)

Is the Ancient Dragon fight mandatory to get 100% achievements?

What is a good companion for the Zweihander I've been using?

That fight is seriously one of the more difficult in the game to do by yourself. The add spiders do a ton of damage no matter what your level.

I used a bonfire ascetic in NG+ (making it NG++) to grab an extra soul and summoned a guy just to do it quickly. He died the instant we walked through the boss fog while trying to kill the little spiders.

Really good progress today up until that beat down though :D

edit: I have no idea what to do about weapon progression. I'm using my starting Mace+3 still. I'm worried about using shards on the wrong thing. I got a Black Knight Halbred that I leveld once and it gets broken after the shortest time. Why? :(

Grief.exe

No it doesn't have any achievements tied to it. And a companion for a Zwei I'd suggest a strike weapon like a mace or a kings ultra greatsword.

Or an anvil chained to a motherfucking stick

iQz7OUPm8uiEz.png

Or an anvil chained to a motherfucking stick
This looks sweet and over the top. May have to find this weapon!

Also, what's up with the mace knights at the Dragon Aerie castle? Those assholes basically NEVER stop swinging the damn mace! I'm glad I have that towering shield that absorbs dozens of hits and doesn't consume much stamina but, oh my god, those knights simply won't STOP.

Are they meant to be taken down with magic/ranged? I feel it's impossible to take them head on with melee once they start their never ending swinging...

Hupsel

Invading in DCoO, soooo many disconnects lol.

For pve yes, considerably. Though not as fun imo

Yeah I played the game on the PS3 with a DEX build, a friend is playing it now as a pure sorcerer and thinking its okay, easy and stuff. In my opinion the great thing about Dark Souls is the melee combat was trying to get him to switch over :p

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Best weapon hands down is two-handing a great club +10. As a ranged weapon I use the Dragonrider Bow +5. Not the best when I'm against the hardcore PVPers that cast that dark shit and have lightning katanas, but I always have a great time.

Grief.exe

With the scaling for the Gyrm great hammer it is more than worth upgrading or the large club.

I like the look and the 2-hand moveset of the Gyrm better than the clubs, especially for PVP.

The 2-hand R1, rolling R1, and 2-Hand R2 are these massive vertical sweeps that are great for deadanlging people in PVP and for PVE fights.

The 2-hand R2 is particularly dirty as it is 2 spins, then the follow up R2 is a giant smash. Generally people think you missed your first sweep and get caught off-guard for the second. If they block or you miss both, the follow-up R2 will smash them into the ground or break their guard entirely.

For PVE, the 2-hand R2 is even better. It essentially one shots most enemies in the game, if it doesn't, knocks them to the ground for a safe follow up.

Large/Great Club are essentially just as good for less weight though. Rolling R1 and 2-hand R1 are great for deadangling 2-Hand R2 isn't as good for PVP and PVE.

This looks sweet and over the top. May have to find this weapon!

Also, what's up with the mace knights at the Dragon Aerie castle? Those assholes basically NEVER stop swinging the damn mace! I'm glad I have that towering shield that absorbs dozens of hits and doesn't consume much stamina but, oh my god, those knights simply won't STOP.

Are they meant to be taken down with magic/ranged? I feel it's impossible to take them head on with melee once they start their never ending swinging...

You can get it from the Gyrms walking around the Doors of Pharros. Be careful, they one shot you on NG+.

We were complaining about those Mace Knights last night actually.

A couple times now while being summoned I'm sent back before we face the boss. Says "duty complete" and I'm ejected, what's up?

It's a real bummer, and I'd like to know what's up as well.

I've had situations where - when I'm summoned as a shade at the boss door - I will be unsummoned because the summoner 'left the area' when they enter the boss room.

I think I was summoned to a guy's game that was hacking, he was teleporting around and after I crystaled out I think I can now see all the potential bonfire points even ones that I haven't reached yet, tho they are greyed out

BadWolf

I think I was summoned to a guy's game that was hacking, he was teleporting around and after I crystaled out I think I can now see all the potential bonfire points even ones that I haven't reached yet, tho they are greyed out

That happened to me as well, I was playing offline for the entire duration of my play through though.

AngryMoth

This is just something that happens after you speak to
the queen

Wookieomg

So bit of miscellaneous trivia here.. apparently
Royal Sorcer Navlaan
is voiced by the actor that plays Count Riario on Da Vinci's Demons. Blake Ritson is his name, for the curious. Came across Navlaan in
Aldia's Keep
and started getting Riario vibes from his voice. So legit that it's the same guy. xD I don't mind
assassinating
people for Riario. :p

garath

God dammit. This is the second time I've lost over 10k souls. I know that's probably a pittance later but its like 3 levels now. Clear the entire wharf then standing next to
the ghost ship and that guy that wants me to have magic
and there's a message about slashing the rope that's going into the water. I try and the step forward plummets me into the water. :( die on the way back to there because of something stupid and turn the game off Lol. Enough of this today.

Garcia

If you're saying drop stats then I've already explained what I think the problem with that is - people create builds which are heavily dependent on having high stats and for them to be arbitrarily dropped so you can be at the same level as an opponent could mean not being able to use weapons, armors, magics, hexes, or miracles that your entire build could center around.

For example, I like to use the Giant's Club, which requires 60 strength. If I got matched up with someone who's soul level was 100 and my strength dropped sub-60 as a result, I couldn't use that weapon. If I got matched with someone soul level 20, I couldn't use the Giant's Club, or my ultra Great swords, or my King's ultragreat sword.

If instead you're saying keep the stats the same but just completely neuter the damage, then comes the question of how do they neuter it and how much is reasonable? Getting summoned to fight a boss where you've got ultra good weapons that are doing a pitance of damage doesn't really seem like a good compromise at all either.

I understand your concerns, although my idea wouldn't allow for such scenarios. For example: Suppose I want to Co-op at FoFG and I get summoned by a character whose SL is 10. I'm at SL 300, so the procedure would be as follows:

Keep every stats untouched. DEX, STR, FTH, etc but soft-cap them all behind the curtains (multiply it by a proportionate percentage, like 0.09% when the breach between characters is abysmal) so that.

My current FTH deals between 1000 and 2000 damage with a single Sunlight Spear. If I get summoned by a low level character, by applying a soft cap to every single stat I have, I would be dealing (1000 ~ 2000) * 0.09 damage, which translates to 90 ~ 180.

If I have a +5 Santier's Spear that deals ~1300 damage for each combo, that would mean I would be dealing 1300 * 0.09 = 117 .

The percentage of downgrade should be proportionate to the difference between Soul Levels of the host and its summon. That would entirely balance the game. Everyone could use their crazy Hexes and Miracles but they would only deal less damage.

90% downgrade for a difference of 250 SL's and above.
80% downgrade for a difference of 220 SL's.
70% for 190.
60% for 140.
50% for 100.
40% for 70.
30% for 40.
20% for 20.
10% for 10.

lunlunqq

God dammit. This is the second time I've lost over 10k souls. I know that's probably a pittance later but its like 3 levels now. Clear the entire wharf then standing next to
the ghost ship and that guy that wants me to have magic
and there's a message about slashing the rope that's going into the water. I try and the step forward plummets me into the water. :( die on the way back to there because of something stupid and turn the game off Lol. Enough of this today.
Hopefully you have opened the shortcut.

AngryMoth

I find I am being way more of a dick on PC lol. Probably due to the lack of messaging system. I usually like getting hate mail on the consoles but I think I would feel like too much of a scumbag with this bat staff + dark fog combo :p

Really good progress today up until that beat down though :D

edit: I have no idea what to do about weapon progression. I'm using my starting Mace+3 still. I'm worried about using shards on the wrong thing. I got a Black Knight Halbred that I leveld once and it gets broken after the shortest time. Why? :(

I was dealing with NG+ Freja just now as well. I found that it was easier just circling her blasting her with my strongest pyromancy than to summon help and hope for the best. She goes down real quick when you fight her solo.

Firebrand

What are the rules about what mixes and what doesn't when it comes to resins, spell buffs and elemental weapons? I was playing around with it a bit earlier and it seemed I could put pretty much any resin I had on my magic mace, but not on any poison or lightning weapons.

Also tried some DS1 again, was thinking of maybe trying a run with a light character... dang... it both looks and feels a lot different than I remember it.

And oh, beat the game the other night. Ended at about 94 hours and level 155, felt a bit overlevelled towards the latter half despite not really doing any grinding of any kind other than jolly coop for covenant ranks. Had to force myself to do melee instead of just chucking great lightning / sun spears. Might do a longer writeup at some point but I enjoyed it a lot, my main gripes with the game would be the pointless HP reduction, the despawns and that some levels were a bit linear (FoFG was probably my favorite area, with so many paths and locked doors).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I simply have no idea what went through their head when they designed soul memory. I can't.
It's really not that hard to figure out, given the prevalence of SL1 runs.

You can't do matchmaking by soul level, people could just focus entirely on upgrading armor and weapons and getting gear and items, then steamroll over less experienced characters because they technically have the same soul level, or they could one-shot bosses on the co-op side.

Since you need to have earned souls to do anything involving levels or armor or weapons, etc, souls gained is a way better way to do matchmaking.

Maybe their tiers and summon/invade ranges are off, but soul memory is a good idea.

Durante

I just played the more uncommon forms of PvP a bit for the first time, first the rat covenant and then as a blue phantom. Had fun with both, though it seems much harder to find targets for the former. But serving the
Rat king
is really entertaining, what with all the enemies being on your side and pulling people into traps.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
PvP Dueling for 'Blue Sentinels' is shit*
.hackers
.players spamming those homing soul(something)
.no etiquette
.that insane hitbox + latency combo

PvP was so much fun when I was invading players in Dark Souls 1, even in Undead Parish.

AngryMoth

People keep talking about crazy hit boxes how are people experiencing this?
There are some bad ones like sanitier's spear and tbh the majority of thrusting attacks but it's something you learn to adjust for. Can be annoying sometimes but it's not too bad imo.

People keep talking about crazy hit boxes how are people experiencing this?

I've had times when I was pressed into an enemy at point blank range and my Greatsword swipe attack went right through them with no damage taken. It is rare, but it does happen. On the flip side, I have seen enemies take damage when I probably missed them...

Luigi87

So I made it to Drangleic Castle on my first char, but stopped playing because I only would advance when both myself and my friend would play (we essentially play simultaneously, yet we never co-op). Our schedules weren't syncing up lately, so I started another NG character that I wanted to do strictly solo run (as I summoned on my first char).
... In half the time, without skipping even a single boss, I've already caught up to myself >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom