• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I noticed this the other day when I was browsing the voice actors, but since we are discussing VAs it has become more relevant.

The guy who plays Felkin the Outcast in Dark Souls II plays Laurentius of the Great Swamp in Dark Souls I

Andy Gathergood

MV5BMTU3MTMyNjQwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA2NzcwOA@@._V1_SY317_CR23,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Garcia

I've already explained the problem. Low level characters getting carried.

I don't think FROM wants people summoning in people who are going to one shot bosses for them.

I don't get your point. Why does summoning exists in this game then? Why is the Co-op community so vibrant on PC? You're contradicting the facts with some strange theories. "FROM not wanting x, or y"? C'mon.

Also:

people who are going to one shot bosses for them

That wouldn't happen. What I'm suggesting is getting your stats all they way down to match the host. Even if you have the max Hexes or Miracles, your stats would be severely downgraded to the point where it feels equal to the summoner.

Souls Memory is even worse because it doesn't matter if I don't level up and permanently stay as a SL 30 character. If I keep Sunbro, my SM will raise to the point where I will have to start yet another character if I want to help noobs to beat the first bosses.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't get your point. Why does summoning exists in this game then? Why is the Co-op community so vibrant on PC? You're contradicting the facts with some strange theories. "FROM not wanting x, or y"? C'mon.

Also:

That wouldn't happen. What I'm suggesting is getting your stats all they way down to match the host. Even if you have the max Hexes or Miracles, your stats would be severely downgraded to the point where it feels equal to the summoner.

Souls Memory is even worse because it doesn't matter if I don't level up and permanently stay as a SL 30 character. If I keep Sunbro, my SM will raise to the point where I will have to start yet another character if I want to help noobs to beat the first bosses.

My point is that a SL 150 character summoning a SL160 character to help with a boss is still going to have a challenge because the person their having help is at a similar level range. They in most cases can't just summon someone to help and sit back as they do everything because the boss gets a slight buff as well.

A SL 12 character summoning a SL 200 character can enter a boss battle, then their summon could hit them with a powerful hex and the end - boss battle over, never even attacked or had to avoid an attack once. It makes what was a fun, engaging battle on the old system trivial on this new one.

Regardless of the above, I thought you were saying a universal summon for anyone at any level to summon anyone else at any other level - no other changes.

If you're saying drop stats then I've already explained what I think the problem with that is - people create builds which are heavily dependent on having high stats and for them to be arbitrarily dropped so you can be at the same level as an opponent could mean not being able to use weapons, armors, magics, hexes, or miracles that your entire build could center around.

For example, I like to use the Giant's Club, which requires 60 strength. If I got matched up with someone who's soul level was 100 and my strength dropped sub-60 as a result, I couldn't use that weapon. If I got matched with someone soul level 20, I couldn't use the Giant's Club, or my ultra Great swords, or my King's ultragreat sword.

If instead you're saying keep the stats the same but just completely neuter the damage, then comes the question of how do they neuter it and how much is reasonable? Getting summoned to fight a boss where you've got ultra good weapons that are doing a pitance of damage doesn't really seem like a good compromise at all either.

yatesl

Gaf, what is there to do now, before I go to NG+?

• I've beaten
    Darklurker
    , but not
    Ancient Dragon
  • I've gotten every spell apart from the ones you need from NG+... apart from 2
  • I rung the bell :(
  • I'm rank 3 in 2 Covenants
  • My main gear is all +10, and my main body armour is +5 (twinkling)
  • I've visited and completed
    the map
  • I think I have every achievement I can do right now, as I've locked some out this run

Anything to prepare? I know it's not like DS1, where I should kindle all the bonfires etc.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I noticed this the other day when I was browsing the voice actors, but since we are discussing VAs it has become more relevant.

The guy who plays Felkin the Outcast in Dark Souls II plays Laurentius of the Great Swamp in Dark Souls I

Andy Gathergood

MV5BMTU3MTMyNjQwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA2NzcwOA@@._V1_SY317_CR23,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Oh jeeze. He looks like the brother from "A Serbian Film" and that just freaked me out.

Haunted

Another cool thing I found on Reddit, they were playing around with the camera mod and found the Lordvessel that From forgot to remove

6IANXcw.png
Ovk1q7f.png
I hear you can get the lordvessel as an item if you beat the game without stopping at a bonfire and only wear the Imported Hood while two-handing the Handmaiden's Ladle.

burgerdog

I'm pretty sure From doesn't care if you summon phantoms to beat the game for you. If that's how you want to play the game, then more power to you in my opinion. I simply have no idea what went through their head when they designed soul memory. I can't.

^^^^
For some reason that reminds me of gamefaqs back in 2000. Do x yada yada yada to get y and so on.

z1ggy

So i killed the old red firekeepers that are sitting at the start of the game, just because. And they died laughing. Any consequence of this?
Outside of being unable to relocate my stats

Mistel

Banned
Gaf, what is there to do now, before I go to NG+?

• I've beaten
    Darklurker
    , but not
    Ancient Dragon
  • I've gotten every spell apart from the ones you need from NG+... apart from 2
  • I rung the bell :(
  • I'm rank 3 in 2 Covenants
  • My main gear is all +10, and my main body armour is +5 (twinkling)
  • I've visited and completed
    the map
  • I think I have every achievement I can do right now, as I've locked some out this run

Anything to prepare? I know it's not like DS1, where I should kindle all the bonfires etc.
Nope unless you want to do the dragon that's it.

OneZealot

Neo Member
Yeah,

Soul Memory is so depressing and I really fail to see the upside to it. Was it intended to prevent new players from being invaded by twinks?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I want to... but I know there's no achievement for it, and I'm running out of steam :3

Have you faced
Venedrick
yet? If not, then it's highly recommended you do the
dragon
before him since he does actually have an achievement attached.

2AdEPT

Also:

Yes you are missing his point...FROM wants there to be help, but not too much...the right amount of troll and help from multiplayer requires balancing. Dont fool yourself into thinking FROM doesnt think nor care about this stuff. They do, and they will patch appropriately if they think it's deserving, and have done so on the past.

I just summoned a hacker, no words... http://youtu.be/JUa0gghSGZM

I have a couple words for any PC player concerned about missing game play messed up by hackers:

Gamesave manager

I want to... but I know there's no achievement for it, and I'm running out of steam :3
There are ways to git gud on that boss (
Ancient Dragon
) real quick....this was my second try

yatesl

Have you faced
Venedrick
yet? If not, then it's highly recommended you do the
dragon
before him since he does actually have an achievement attached.

Yup. Beat him shortly before the last boss.

There are ways to git gud on that boss (
Ancient Dragon
) real quick....this was my second try

Nice! I don't know if I can be bothered making the run up those stairs though.

I think it might be time to plunge in to NG+. I have almost 3,000,000 Soul Level, so I think I can skip most of it?

yatesl

Why to red spirits disconnect? Someone invaded me whilst I was in Belfry Sol (go figure) as a red spirit. 5 seconds later, a grey spirit invaded, and we both ganged up on the red guy. All of a sudden, "the invader has returned to his world", or something.

You don't lose souls if you die, right? Then why bother quitting?

Taruranto

To be honest, Soul Memory didn't give me much problems. I pretty much summons/get summoned all the time, as opposed to DS1 were it was impossible to summon someone in certain areas (the horribleeee netcode didn't help, I guess).

Grief.exe

omg fuck shrine of amara

Hit up Gavlan at No Man's Wharf, then Harvest Valley, then Doors of Pharos, he sells unlimited Poison Arrows at his Doors location.

I just stock up to help out with Shrine and Crypt as a melee character.

Those two areas in particular I think From ran out of ideas on enemy design and placement. They just overload on casters in cramped areas with annoying abilities. In one part of Crypt in particular, you can just sprint through the difficult portion, but in NG+ From loads that area with those shield knights to prevent that. They are genius in their evil.

To be honest, Soul Memory didn't give me much problems. I pretty much summons/get summoned all the time, as opposed to DS1 were it was impossible to summon someone in certain areas (the horribleeee netcode didn't help, I guess).

That was mainly due to GFWL (assuming PC version here).

I just summoned a hacker, no words... http://youtu.be/JUa0gghSGZM

He is complete garbage.

AngryMoth

It's mainly a problem for the pvp community. Usually people agree to stay at a particular level but with soul memory if you do that then you frequently get matched with people hundreds of levels higher than you.

Summoned a couple people and was fighting the
spider
boss.

Welp I'm not ready for that yet, they take way too big a chunk out of me if they hit me :(

elohel

am I crazy? I swear I never best the rotten or
Old iron king and was totally able to walk through shrine of winter

I'm stuck at that royal rat boss again and don't want to beat it if I don't have to :/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I'm stuck at that royal rat boss again and don't want to beat it if I don't have to :/

If you have 1M soul memory you don't have to get any of the great souls.

Grief.exe

Summoned a couple people and was fighting the
spider
boss.

Welp I'm not ready for that yet, they take way too big a chunk out of me if they hit me :(

That fight is seriously one of the more difficult in the game to do by yourself. The add spiders do a ton of damage no matter what your level.

I used a bonfire ascetic in NG+ (making it NG++) to grab an extra soul and summoned a guy just to do it quickly. He died the instant we walked through the boss fog while trying to kill the little spiders.

elfinke

In NG+ I skipped the RatBros almost entirely. Same as the BellBros, fuck those guys. Game seemed much smaller second time around!

Still enjoyed it more than DS1, though I still think DeSo has them covered.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hit up Gavlan at No Man's Wharf, then Harvest Valley, then Doors of Pharos, he sells unlimited Poison Arrows at his Doors location.

I just stock up to help out with Shrine and Crypt as a melee character.

Those two areas in particular I think From ran out of ideas on enemy design and placement. They just overload on casters in cramped areas with annoying abilities. In one part of Crypt in particular, you can just sprint through the difficult portion, but in NG+ From loads that area with those shield knights to prevent that. They are genius in their evil.

yea i've been using poison arrows against the big cyclops and just arrowing up everyone else but it's still kind of annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom