• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Afaik dying as a phantom counts, yes.

Fantastic. I had a club+7 and was beating the crap out of the pursuer, down to about 1/4 health and having taken no damage myself, when the host thought it would be a good idea to try and shoot the pursuer with ballistas :/

dreamfall

So I finally finished my first playthrough! Ayo! Major Spoilers.

Nashandra gave me a bit of trouble, curses and all. I went in Hollow, and I knew I should've put on my Ring of the Dead- I wanted to look good for that throne! Alas, perhaps next time!

I definitely want to write something about the bosses/structure of the game. I think it felt a little loose to me, and I wasn't a big fan of multiple enemies in boss fights. Ruin Sentinels, Dragon Riders, Belfry Gargoyles, Throne Watcher and Defender, Skeleton Lords- eh... I don't consider myself to be a great Souls player, and most of them weren't horribly difficult. But they felt a bit uninspired.

There were also some wonderful battles- the Looking Glass Knight was so neat! And the Executioner's Chariot felt rad too, just for being different. I think the Ashen Mist Heart was a neat concept, but the execution felt a bit weak- there was a lot of racing through the areas just to get the Giant Souls...

More thoughts later! My eyes are heavy.

zkylon

zkylewd
To be fair, Garl is free too. Run his ass under the low hanging ceiling and his mace does a whole lot of nothing.

yeah but when i fought him i didn't know about that and his armor looked so cool and how he swung his giant club looked so scary (
btw is the guy protecting vendrick a reference to him? like the helmet and the huge club thingie reminded me a lot of garl
)

plus like the payoff of finding maiden astraea was also really good, plus the lore surrounding the place

like i'm not comparing the themes themselves, just how they felt to me in the context they were presented. i got like serious chills seeing garl vinland give his life for her and then find her in that rotten place surrounded by dem creepy fetus things.

i liked the fight against gwyn, but being able to stagger him made him look kind of pathetic, which i guess also works but is disappointing, specially since allant really kicked my ass in ng+ in demon's so i was expecting much much more :p

yatesl

The only spells I need are

• Crystal Soul Spear
  • Unleash Magic
  • Bountiful Sunlight
  • Wrath of the Gods
  • Blinding Bolt
  • Great Chaos Fireball
  • Forbidden Sun
  • Flame Weapon
  • Numbness

None of which I can get in my current NG run. I also need to co-op with 2 certain NPC characters to get those achievements, too.

I have a fully upgraded estus flask, with the maximum number. I have 999 Poison and Heavy arrows. The gear I use is +10, with my body armour being +5. I still have 35 effigies, not that I use them.

Bring on NG+.

Cincaid

So I've been experiencing some minor graphical glitches. I've set up a Nvidia Inspector profile like the one Durante describes here. However, I'm getting minor glitches here and there, which are also quite difficult to capture in a screenshot. It mostly shows when moving the camera around, but here are two examples:

jbmNA5p2GchlKp.jpg

When the camera is in certain positions, lines will show up in various spots. Does anyone else have the same problem? Have I done something wrong when setting up the Nivia Inspector (I've never used that program before, and not entirely sure how to do it). Also, are there any other mods I should look into getting?

Edit: I'm also experiencing quite heavy drops in FPS when rolling into destructable stuff (like barrels) and when entering fog gates. Should I lower some setting to remove that slowdown?

Thanks!

Am I the only one who can't use clubs at all? My character seems to swing randomly and misses the target by a mile about 70% of the time.

If you mean large hammers, large clubs etc. then yeah, I'm having trouble getting used to them as well. Their moveset works differently since you actively change your direction of attack even if you're locked on to an enemy. I'm used to pulling back on the left stick as soon as I attack so I move back as soon as the attack is over, but in this case my character actually attacks in the direction opposite (back aka down on the stick) of the enemy. What I do is I try to constantly push the left stick towards the enemy even if locked on and I'm getting really used to it now.

AnnTiPa

So I've been experiencing some minor graphical glitches. I've set up a Nvidia Inspector profile like the one Durante describes here. However, I'm getting minor glitches here and there, which are also quite difficult to capture in a screenshot. It mostly shows when moving the camera around

The same happens to me too. Nothing you can do about it I believe unless you want to give up that anti aliasing. In one of the later areas it gets rather distracting because it happens constantly but overall it's not that bad.

Cincaid

The same happens to me too. Nothing you can do about it I believe unless you want to give up that anti aliasing. In one of the later areas it gets rather distracting because it happens constantly but overall it's not that bad.

Alright, thanks for the answer! The game looks great 99% of the time, so that's why those lines can be quite jarring when they show up. :p

Haunted

Am I the only one who can't use clubs at all? My character seems to swing randomly and misses the target by a mile about 70% of the time.
With these bigger weapons there's been a change in the way you attack while being locked-on. DS1 would automatically aim for you and always attack in the direction of the opponent, in DS2 you can attack in any direction while being locked on. If you miss, it's because you're not pushing the stick in the right direction. :D

UrbanRats

I like that one, though i prefer Maiden Astrea, because i feel like it delivered on the dramatic moment more.
Of course, YMMV.

Another one i love from Demon's Souls (which had my favorite soundtrack of the three), is
FlameLurker
's: http://youtu.be/k7T05Lm9mjw

You can just feel the menace with this music, i shit my pants just listening to it.
--

Regarding Dark Souls 2, not many memorable tracks that stand out so far (that i noticed anyway), but the Ruin Sentinels fight had a good one, i think.
It takes some time (about a minute and 15 seconds in) to pick up though.

Firebrand

OK so what happened here,I cleared the Dark Chasm of Old in Black Gulch but the game didn't recognise it IE my rank didn't upgrade nor were there any changes in Grandahl's dialogues?
Same thing when I did it. Just move on to the next one and make sure you talk to him several times when you're done.

So, hum... I have this "Demon's Souls" game sitting on PSN+... should I?

TwistedMind

Neo Member
Same thing when I did it. Just move on to the next one and make sure you talk to him several times when you're done.

So, hum... I have this "Demon's Souls" game sitting on PSN+... should I?
Yes , absolutely yes ..worth it for everything (specially the atmosphere) except the pvp which is surprisingly still active ..

Garcia

Must be lucky. My new character is having such a hard time finding them.

I've noticed that whenever I fail to see summon signs, warping to Majula and then back to the location where I want to Co-op fixes this issue. It's really weird.

Theres a max tier? And assuming SM is working as intended wont it start to fill up once more people hit it?

Yep, there are 41 ranks. They were posted earlier in this thread:

Tier # Soul Memory
1 0 - 9,999
2 10,000 - 19,999
3 20,000 - 29,999
4 30,000 - 39,999
5 40,000 - 49,999
6 50,000 - 69,999
7 70,000 - 89,999
8 90,000 - 109,999
9 110,000 - 129,999
10 130,000 - 149,999
11 150,000 - 179,999
12 180,000 - 209,999
13 210,000 - 239,999
14 240,000 - 269,999
15 270,000 - 299,999
16 300,000 - 349,999
17 350,000 - 399,999
18 400,000 - 449,999
19 450,000 - 499,999
20 500,000 - 599,999
21 600,000 - 699,999
22 700,000 - 799,999
23 800,000 - 899,999
24 900,000 - 999,999
25 1,000,000 - 1,099,999
26 1,100,000 - 1,199,999
27 1,200,000 - 1,299,999
28 1,300,000 - 1,399,999
29 1,400,000 - 1,499,999
30 1,500,000 - 1,749,999
31 1,750,000 - 1,999,999
32 2,000,000 - 2,249,999
33 2,250,000 - 2,499,999
34 2,500,000 - 2,749,999
35 2,750,000 - 2,999,999
36 3,000,000 - 4,999,999
37 5,000,000 - 6,999,999
38 7,000,000 - 8,999,999
39 9,000,000 - 11,999,999
40 12,000,000 - 14,999,999
41 15,000,000 - 999,999,999

NEO0MJ

Nearing the end of the game. It's been a long time since I leveled up, I'm spending all my souls on armors and weapons, gotta buy them all.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
OK so what happened here,I cleared the Dark Chasm of Old in Black Gulch but the game didn't recognise it IE my rank didn't upgrade nor were there any changes in Grandahl's dialogues?

Rank 1 = 1 Torch Lit
Rank 2 = All three torches lit
Rank 3 = Defeat Darklurker

and finished. Great game overall, but people who said "Theres no jank levels like Lost Izalith or TOTG at the end!" are so wrong. The game realy falls apart during the
Giant memories
. Theyre so, so bad. I honestly think the one that has a boss fight in it may be the worst Souls level of all time. Its not even hard, its just crap. Aside from that, id say its probably an 8/10 game. I finished it in 40+ hours, and missed a coupel of optional areas. DS1 took me double that amount of time to finish.
I summoned the NPCs for the final fight and it honestly made it far too easy. Finished it first try. The ending was weak too.
Overall id still rate the games DS1>DeS>DS2

elohel

Well, fuck Doors of Pharros... and Royal Rat Authority boss.. aaahhhh, it's such a annyoing area and boss fight

either black knight halberd or dual wielding a scimitar in right hand plus another sword in power stance = take out those annoying rat baddies in two swipes one per group

The big guy is super easy

UrbanRats

Got my second ever red phantom invasion.
At lvl1 by the first Heide knight :| wat. I guess there's a cracked red eye orb in Things Betwixed?

There is one cracked red eye orb in one of the tutorial tunnels, yeah.
A little room behind a door had one, IIRC.

Forkball

Nearing the end of the game. Just got an item from AD.

Also, how am I supposed to beat
King Vendrick? Is this some sort of special story battle? I'm literally doing 15 damage to him.

Also how does the dragon eye work? Is it like the red sign soapstone? When I check it, it says "stop the eye from searching?" So will I automatically invade a world or does someone have to summon me via the flaming eyes?

Uthred

Yep, there are 41 ranks. They were posted earlier in this thread:

Cool,missed that, hopefully the last rank fills up as more people push on into NG+, the game hasnt been out that long yet.

King Vendrick? Is this some sort of special story battle? I'm literally doing 15 damage to him.

Also how does the dragon eye work? Is it like the red sign soapstone? When I check it, it says "stop the eye from searching?" So will I automatically invade a world or does someone have to summon me via the flaming eyes?

He basically has a x5 modifier on his defense, for each giant soul in your ineventory thats reduced by 1. You get one in each of the three giant memories (which if you have a phobia of timers will apparently melt your mind ;) ), you get another for killing the two secret giants in Black Gulch and the final one from defeating the Ancient Dragon

Grief.exe

Vendrick:
Have you used the Ashen Mist Heart yet? Check the description of the Souls you get for a clue.

The dragon eye just puts your sign down for people to summon. Go to the Iron Keep to see the result.

You have to have good stick control. Either keep your hand off the left stick entirely, or practice pushing it in the direction of the enemy.

NEO0MJ

To even do damage to him you'll need to gather, but not use, an item called "soul of the giant". To collect them you'll need to go to an area behind the kings door in the shaded Woods, it's in one of the three roads after the second bonfire. You'll need to equip the king's ring to open it. After a long quest you'll reach an NPC who'll give you the Ashen Mist Heart, which will allow you to interact with the three sleeping giants in the forest of the fallen giants, where you can get three of the souls. The fourth is obtaned by fighting two giants in the black gulch (you have to drop down to them from the area between/right after the two giant worms) and the fifth if you kill the NPC that gives you the Ashen Mist Heart.

yatesl

Can anyone recommend a respec? I went dexterity, like I played through DS1. I was using a rapier for a long time, but after
Darklurker
I decided to go with a trusty katana again, in memory of my BFF Iaito.

The trouble is, after 40 Dex, I just started putting points here, there, and everywhere. I've sunk about 9 points in to attunment at the minute, thinking I'd have at least one slot for a pyromancy spell at this point.

Now I'm in NG+, and having seen people destroy bosses with a Sunlight Spear, I'd love to use it... but 40 (or 50?) Faith is a high requirement.

Mistel

Banned
It's like the red soapstone put it down you get summoned.

Grief.exe

Can anyone recommend a respec? I went dexterity, like I played through DS1. I was using a rapier for a long time, but after
Darklurker
I decided to go with a trusty katana again, in memory of my BFF Iaito.

The trouble is, after 40 Dex, I just started putting points here, there, and everywhere. I've sunk about 9 points in to attunment at the minute, thinking I'd have at least one slot for a pyromancy spell at this point.

Now I'm in NG+, and having seen people destroy bosses with a Sunlight Spear, I'd love to use it... but 40 (or 50?) Faith is a high requirement.

Dex scaling is garbage in Dark Souls II.

We are at essentially the same SL and you have twice the VGR I do, I doubt you need that much. There are also soft caps for VIT and ADP at 20.

NEO0MJ

You'll get there eventually. That miracle is awesome. I've only begun leveling faith up but I loved using Sunlight Spear in the original Dark Souls.

For the actual
Vendrick
boss fight, feel free to use my easy to follow guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il_cQrugDgk

This can be used against most bosses in the game.

You should spoiler tag that, methinks.

Grief.exe

Thx,I still can't beat him though :lol

Step 1: Respec to faith
Step 2: reinforce/imbue chime to lightning +10
Step 3: throw them great Lightning Spears like Gwynn on prom night.

I'd imagine a melee build with sunlight blade with wreck her as well. The melee attacks are easier to dodge than the ranged and when she splits you can hit both with one attack.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Dex scaling is garbage in Dark Souls II.

We are at essentially the same SL and you have twice the VGR I do, I doubt you need that much. There are also soft caps for VIT and ADP at 20.

VIT gains reduce from 1.5 to 1.0 at 29, and continue to be 1.0 until 49. (edit: maybe you meant Vigor?)

And wiki says ADP soft caps at 39. It raises so many things that it's probably more complicated to come up with a definitive soft cap, but it sounds like the agility gains are constant until 40.

Zeliard

I like that one, though i prefer Maiden Astrea, because i feel like it delivered on the dramatic moment more.
Of course, YMMV.

Another one i love from Demon's Souls (which had my favorite soundtrack of the three), is
FlameLurker
's: http://youtu.be/k7T05Lm9mjw

You can just feel the menace with this music, i shit my pants just listening to it.

Nameless Song is my favorite track in the Souls series. Somber and melodic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvFnR0kJFw

I replaced the Dark Souls 1 menu music with it. Very fitting.

Ghost23

I'm 17 hours into the game and still feel like using a shitty weapon. It's just a typical one handed hammer. I explore a lot but still haven't found anything too great.

Uthred

You could probably comfortably stop at Faith 42, enough for Great Lightning Spear, Sunlight Spear is rather disappointing, it does around 20% more damage per cast but a) it costs two attunement slots and b) starts off with 3 casts. So in PvE you'd generally be much better off with the 20 GLS you could use instead of 3 SS. Might be worth it in PvP, though the animation is rather long. On the other hand the best faith chime has a Faith requirement of 50, if youre going for that its probably worth it to push on to Faith 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom