• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

You could probably comfortably stop at Faith 42, enough for Great Lightning Spear, Sunlight Spear is rather disappointing, it does around 20% more damage per cast but a) it costs two attunement slots and b) starts off with 3 casts. So in PvE you'd generally be much better off with the 20 GLS you could use instead of 3 SS. Might be worth it in PvP, though the animation is rather long. On the other hand the best faith chime has a Faith requirement of 50, if youre going for that its probably worth it to push on to Faith 55.

I experimented with Sunlight Spear, but the damage increase was not worth the extra faith.

Use the Spice to reduce the Sunlight Spear to 50.

47706.original-6068.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
OK so what happened here,I cleared the Dark Chasm of Old in Black Gulch but the game didn't recognise it IE my rank didn't upgrade nor were there any changes in Grandahl's dialogues?

Just as an update to those who don't know, it updates on the first one, the third one, and beating
Darklurker

UrbanRats

Nibel

i changed the battery and also changed the controller it self
windows can see the controller and check for the battery level
but the game does not

Mhm, weird - did you restart Windows? I had the issue just once and restarting the game helped

---

I'm not done with my first playthrough yet, but I must say: I'm kind of disappointed with the armor sets that are available in DS2.. there aren't that many cool looking armors. Looking-glass knight set looks cool, and now I'm playing with the King's armor set - but all in all it's kind of meh.. probably saving up the good ideas for their next project?

And I wished there was a way to boost the speed of sword swinging; I mean FROM loves Berserk, why won't they let me swing my ultra greatsword as fast as Guts :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Cool,missed that, hopefully the last rank fills up as more people push on into NG+, the game hasnt been out that long yet.

He basically has a x5 modifier on his defense, for each giant soul in your ineventory thats reduced by 1. You get one in each of the three giant memories (which if you have a phobia of timers will apparently melt your mind ;) ), you get another for killing the two secret giants in Black Gulch and the final one from defeating the Ancient Dragon

The crazy thing is it's not actually x5, it's x16.

It goes 16, 8, 4, 2, 1
depending on how many souls you have.

I'm 17 hours into the game and still feel like using a shitty weapon. It's just a typical one handed hammer. I explore a lot but still haven't found anything too great.

Upgrading weapons is really, really important in the Souls games. Often even more than upgrading your stats.

does anyone have a problem with the 360 controller ?
suddenly , the game doesn't recognize the controller

Lol yes I've never gotten it to work.

Both of you should make sure that you have no other controllers connected, no other devices the game MIGHT interpret as controllers, and if you have a bluetooth receiver that has ever had a controller connected to it, remove that or disable the bluetooth connected controller in the device settings as well.

This includes things like Wii remotes.

yatesl

I don't want to give up Dex, as I've already Titanite Slab'd 3 dex weapons, and I'm being awkward.

So currently, it's:

Code:
VGR 45  END 30  VIT 30 
ATN 8   STR 20  DEX 40
ADP 30  INT 8   FTH 8

Would this work (I'd need to level up 4 more times):

Code:
VGR 40  END 20  VIT 30
ATN 16  STR 14  DEX 40
ADP 20  INT 1   FTH 42

That'd give me a decent amount of health (if anyone watched my YouTube vid, I need it), 3 slots, enough strength for Blacksteel Katana, high Dex, and enough faith for Great Lightning Spear

Grief.exe

WEU70im.jpg

i also restart my pc , restart steam
but that didn't help

Unplug the magic mouse and whatever the Nintendo input is.

Dark Souls has a tough time differentiating which controller to default to. For example, people have issues with the DS4 tool if they forget to hide the Direct Input side.

There was one guy earlier in the thread who is now gone that was truly hilarious to follow his misadventures in Dark Souls II and PC gaming.

This thing had been causing him issues for days, and hilarity for us.

but that didn't help

edit : fixed , thanks Alo81
i turned off the Bluetooth and now i can use it in the game

My money is on it trying to use the Wiimote instead of the 360 controller. I had this problem with DaS1 and had to remove the Wiimote from Devices and Printers.

L.O.R.D

My money is on it trying to use the Wiimote instead of the 360 controller. I had this problem with DaS1 and had to remove the Wiimote from Devices and Printers.

the strange thing is , the wiimote is turned off
and the magic mouse is old mouse for my brother who never used it again
but this just happen when i installed the wiimote to my pc to try the emulator

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
WEU70im.jpg

but that didn't help

edit : fixed , thanks Alo81
i turned off the Bluetooth and now i can use it in the game

The problem is absolutely the Wii remote.

It doesn't have to be turned on, the bluetooth device because it works wirelessly just always says "This controller is present" and that screws up Dark Souls.

Grief.exe

and that only happen with Dark souls ?

Pretty much.

Dark Souls obviously casts a wide net for a default controller, then latches on to that input on start up. Seems like another oversight that would come from a Japanese developer unfamiliar with the platform.

BadWolf

Started a Xenosaga 2 playthrough before Dark Souls 2 released and distracted me, remember liking X2 just fine but tried going back to it yesterday after finishing DS2 and almost fell asleep -_-

Grief.exe

Gyrm's Great Hammer made short work of
Vendrick, Throne Watcher/Defender, and Nashandra
. Now just
Dual Pursuer's
and on to NG++.

Will probably respec to a sorcerer/MLGS build for that.

End-game spoilers

Shanolotte says that Nashandra, 'covets The First Flame and The Great Soul.' The Throne of Want must have some connection to the Furtive Pygmy and the Dark Soul.

Haunted

Shanolotte says that Nashandra, 'covets The First Flame and The Great Soul.' The Throne of Want must have some connection to the Furtive Pygmy and the Dark Soul.
The whole reason for her endeavour and deception (instigation?) of King Vendrick, it turns out.

The connection to the First Flame and Gwyn/the protagonist from the first Dark Souls is kinda sprung on the player towards the end, imo. One of the only other references to that whole business at an earlier point in the game is the Lost Sinner - her sin is that she attempted to relight the first flame.

Grief.exe

The whole reason for her endeavour and deception (instigation?) of King Vendrick, it turns out.

The connection to the First Flame and Gwyn/the protagonist from the first Dark Souls is kinda sprung on the player towards the end, imo. One of the only other references to that whole business at an earlier point in the game is the Lost Sinner - her sin is that she attempted to relight the first flame.

NG+ spoilers

The Old Iron King, The Rotten, Lost Sinner, and Freja all managed to acquire the Souls of the Gwynn, Nito, Witch of Izalith, and Seath respectively. They inherited some traits from these old souls as well as a wealth of power.

In Freja's case, the Duke of Brightstone likely found Seath's Soul and slowly lost his mind in his experiments. Infusing that soul with his favorite spider caused the growth explosion.

onionfrog

I just finished the game.
It was pretty good, but I'd have to say its not quite as good as Dark Souls.
There were quite a few interesting bosses, but just as many underwhelming ones really.At least there was no Bed of Chaos! :p

I've still got a couple of optional bosses to take down, but I may just take a break and come back to it later.

I'm definitely going to respec from pure Dex to a Dex/Int or Dex/Faith build though.

Mistel

Banned
The Old Iron King, The Rotten, Lost Sinner, and Freja all managed to acquire the Souls of the Gwynn, Nito, Witch of Izalith, and Seath respectively. They inherited some traits from these old souls as well as a wealth of power.

In Freja's case, the Duke of Brightstone likely found Seath's Soul and slowly lost his mind in his experiments. Infusing that soul with his favorite spider caused the growth explosion.
I can see Iron King and Freja being like that but not the Rotten.

Haunted

NG+ spoilers

The Old Iron King, The Rotten, Lost Sinner, and Freja all managed to acquire the Souls of the Gwynn, Nito, Witch of Izalith, and Seethe respectively. They inherited some traits from these old souls as well as a wealth of power.
Aye, the old souls are being dropped in NG+, which is technically later than the end game [of a first playthrough]. :D

But I really like the idea of inheritance, the souls of the four great ones always existing in some form. Vendrick defeated them and acquired their souls, at some point they passed on to the four who are holding them now... and after we defeated them here, they will be passed on to new bosses we have to defeat in Dark Souls 3. Love it.

edit: how exactly they acquire this power isn't made clear (or important, tbh). But there are hints - like for The Old Iron King - it is said that he was killed by the Smelter Demon and burned in the flames of his sinking keep, and then possessed by things that lurk below which transformed him into that demon. One of those things below seemed to have been the soul of Gwyn.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's interesting that we call them
the souls of Gwyn, Nito, etc etc, but it would be cool to see the story of how those souls originated.

If the souls continue to be inherited, that means at some point someone had to have the first lords soul.
A prequel would be pretty awesome.

Haunted

the souls of Gwyn, Nito, etc etc, but it would be cool to see the story of how those souls originated.

If the souls continue to be inherited, that means at some point someone had to have the first lords soul.
Yeah, I'm not too clear if Dark Souls is supposed to be that origin story, with Manus and the Furtive Pygmy being the originators of the curse and everything.

Blinck

I think Gwyn & co. were the first ones to aqquire the big souls, since the souls originated from the First Flame IIRC ( it's in Dark Souls 1 cinmatic I think )

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Got invaded last night at Heide's by a lovely Japanese chap who had a Santier's with Resonant Weapon, spammed Sunlight Spears, then switched to Greater Resonant Soul. Judging from how much his lifebar dropped when I hit him, this dude had at least 3k health as well. My char had a soul memory around 85k, by the way. Funniest part was while dodging his shitty Sunlight Spears, I almost managed to push him into the water and let gravity do its job.

misho8723

Banned
either black knight halberd or dual wielding a scimitar in right hand plus another sword in power stance = take out those annoying rat baddies in two swipes one per group

The big guy is super easy

After more than 30 attempts, i'm giving up.. as a melee characters it's just a pain in the ass.. sometimes i can kill those first 4 bastard right at the start, but then the big fucker is just jumping all over the place, and i don't have enough stamina or health, so i'm doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom