• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it me or is the Heide Knight sword too good? I feel it's gonna be Drakesword all over again and suddenly I run into enemies with resistances up the ass, so I've been preparing another weapon in anticipation of such an event.

Zomba13

Is it me or is the Heide Knight sword too good? I feel it's gonna be Drakesword all over again and suddenly I run into enemies with resistances up the ass, so I've been preparing another weapon in anticipation of such an event.

I used it (as a secondary weapon) on my first play-through until the end. Upgrading it as I went of course.

Yeah heide knight sword is really good, I used it for the whole game, then infused with poison which basically destroys almost every boss and tanky enemy.

Grief.exe

It's interesting that we call them
the souls of Gwyn, Nito, etc etc, but it would be cool to see the story of how those souls originated.

If the souls continue to be inherited, that means at some point someone had to have the first lords soul.
A prequel would be pretty awesome.

Watch the intro to Dark Souls 1, it is the origin story.

eot

Banned
Re NG+ spoilers

Seath's soul was just part of Gwyn's soul, I don't see why Freja should have Seath's traits. To me it's just silly fanservice anyway, I'd prefer if it weren't there.

Grief.exe

Seath's soul was just part of Gwyn's soul, I don't see why Freja should have Seath's traits. To me it's just silly fanservice anyway, I'd prefer if it weren't there.

The Duke had Seath's traits, not Freja. She was just fused with that soul in one of the Duke's experiments.

If you follow the story of Brightstone, it is quite similar to Seath's descent into madness.

Haunted

Has it been speculated why
Vendrick gets weaker when you have the souls of the giants?
From the item description of the soul of a giant: "will the Giants' resentment of the King be pacified in death, or only emboldened?"

I'd say the lore explanation would be that the Giant's hate of Vendrick is so strong that it has an actual, tangible effect when you carry their souls into the fight.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Gwyn & co. were the first ones to aqquire the big souls, since the souls originated from the First Flame IIRC ( it's in Dark Souls 1 cinmatic I think )

Watch the intro to Dark Souls 1, it is the origin story.

Totally forgot about that. Cool!

From the item description of the soul of a giant: "will the Giants' resentment of the King be pacified in death, or only emboldened?"

I'd say the lore explanation would be that the Giant's hate of Vendrick is so strong that it has an actual, tangible effect when you carry their souls into the fight.

But only up to 5!

Mistel

Banned
Yeah that will take a while like till drangelic maybe I'm not entirely sure myself though.

After more than 30 attempts, i'm giving up.. as a melee characters it's just a pain in the ass.. sometimes i can kill those first 4 bastard right at the start, but then the big fucker is just jumping all over the place, and i don't have enough stamina or health, so i'm doomed

I had a lot of trouble with this.. my main issue was not being able to kill the 4 before the big one jumps down or one of the small ones would be left alive and it would put toxic on me and my health would start dropping.

I finally won it by using pyromancy.

I had a pyromancy that I picked up called "Lingering flame" which is basically fire proximity mines. I had a southern ritual band +1 that gave me an attunement slot and the rats are weak to fire.

I laid out 3 of the flame orbs in a triangle and baited the 4 rats into the triangle and they exploded, leaving me to focus on the boss with full stamina.

Blinck

After more than 30 attempts, i'm giving up.. as a melee characters it's just a pain in the ass.. sometimes i can kill those first 4 bastard right at the start, but then the big fucker is just jumping all over the place, and i don't have enough stamina or health, so i'm doomed

I was also having trouble and then I tried playing super offensive and it worked well. After killing the first 4 rats I 2handed my weapon and just tried to ALWAYS stay below the boss. If he jumped away I would just run at him and roll under him to stay below him again and slash away, always being careful with the stamina.
But yeah it can be a pain in the ass for meele and I think FROM knows this, that's why they put the bonfire right next to it, IMO.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just got through the first
Dark Abyss out of three.

If the other areas are as good as that one, I'm gonna have a lot of fun. Short but sweet. They're like compartmentalized VR missions.

This games engine isn't as flexible as I thought. I tried to run it on my HTPC which is only an AMD FX 3.4Ghz /w 260 GTX in it and it stuttered to hell. Wasn't playable even on the lowest settings at 720p. I don't know if its a driver thing or what but it was rough. I know the hardware is old but I can play other better looking games with it (Skyrim & DmC).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This games engine isn't as flexible as I thought. I tried to run it on my HTPC which is only an AMD FX 3.4Ghz /w 260 GTX in it and it stuttered to hell. Wasn't playable even on the lowest settings at 720p. I don't know if its a driver thing or what but it was rough. I know the hardware is old but I can play other better looking games with it (Skyrim & DmC).

That's a six year old card dude.

That's a six year old card dude.

Yah but I thought since it ran almost everything I have thrown at it, I thought it would work on DS2 since its not really the most graphic intensive game out there.

Hell I play Just Cause 2 on it just fine at max settings (minus AA).

Zafir

I was also having trouble and then I tried playing super offensive and it worked well. After killing the first 4 rats I 2handed my weapon and just tried to ALWAYS stay below the boss. If he jumped away I would just run at him and roll under him to stay below him again and slash away, always being careful with the stamina.
But yeah it can be a pain in the ass for meele and I think FROM knows this, that's why they put the bonfire right next to it, IMO.

Yeah that's pretty much what I did. Though I didn't actually manage to kill all 4 of the rats, I killed 3, and the boss was kind enough to hit the last one hah.

I can imagine melee not going well on that fight. It was a joke as a hexer. Walk in and cast Darkstorm, 4 rats dead. A few Great Resonant Souls later, a big dead Rat.

eot

Banned

Seeing as I have that card and run it just fine I'd say there's something wrong.

Two questions:

1. I heard enemies stop respawning after restarting the area enough, and I keep dying in the same area, does that mean that at some point enemies will not respawn or you have to beat the boss first of the area or how exactly works?

2. I found the first one of these pursuers (the big guys with wings, a huge sword and shield), but I jumped down from the arena, to take a breath, since he was a bit overwhelming. Then he dissapeared and is no longer there after dying, does that mean he won't be again there and I "missed" the chance to beat him?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I used it (as a secondary weapon) on my first play-through until the end. Upgrading it as I went of course.

I have it at +5 now and while base damage isn't as high as say, Drangleic Sword, the lightning bonus and speed more than makes up for it.

Thanks! Does anyone know if my 6950 should run this well?

My 5870's not having any problems with it, any (very minor) slowdown I encounter I blame on my ancient dualcore. (An E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz). I think I'm definitely on the lower end when it comes to specs in this thread.

Oddly enough the framerate drops a tiny bit when I'm summoned, not when getting invaded or summoning myself though, which is odd. But so minor that I don't care.

Nibel

Two questions:

1. I heard enemies stop respawning after restarting the area enough, and I keep dying in the same area, does that mean that at some point enemies will not respawn or you have to beat the boss first of the area or how exactly works?

2. I found the first one of these pursuers, but I jumped down from the arena, to take a breath, since he was a bit overwhelming. Then he dissapeared and is no longer there after dying, does that mean he won't be again there and I "missed" the chance to beat him?

1. If you kill enemies like 12 times (?), they won't appear again - will save some frustration in case a boss kills you over and over again

That was not the last you've seen of him, don't worry

Two questions:

2. I found the first one of these pursuers (the big guys with wings, a huge sword and shield), but I jumped down from the arena, to take a breath, since he was a bit overwhelming. Then he dissapeared and is no longer there after dying, does that mean he won't be again there and I "missed" the chance to beat him?

1. Enemies stop respawning after you kill them 12 times or so.

2. You'll see him again later.

1. If you kill enemies like 12 times (?), they won't appear again - will save some frustration in case a boss kills you over and over again

That was not the last you've seen of him, don't worry

Thanks, the problem is not even the boss, I keep dying to shitty zombies. Duelist might be a bit too much for me, right now lol

1. Enemies stop respawning after you kill them 12 times or so.

2. You'll see him again later.

thx, for both answers

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I apologize for what is probably constantly asked, but I haven't been following his thread: has the HDMI issue been sorted?

Goddamn it, twinkling titanite is so fucking stupid! So many items require it, but there's so incredibly little to find. I've killed the enemies that drop it "regularly" a billion times with all item-drop increasing equipment and rings equipped and only found 3 in total, while a single item requires 15. The only way I could find more is if I abused bonfire ascetic and screw myself over for the later playthroughs.

By the way, how viable is Hex for PvE? I'm using a faith build at the time and it's working great as a lot of enemies and bosses seem to be vulnerable to lightning. I'm not sure how vulnerable monsters/bosses are to Hex damage however. Considering that great attacks like GRS absorb souls, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to switch. Using a fully upgraded Dark Caitha's Chime, as Chime of want requires PDB to upgrade and I ran out of them. Same with sunset staff, which needs twinkling titanite.

From what I saw, hexes do really a lot of damage to bosses. GRS does about 600-700 dmg at range

AngryMoth

Goddamn it, twinkling titanite is so fucking frustrating! So many items require it, but there's so incredibly little to find. I've killed the enemies that drop it "regularly" a billion times with all item-drop increasing equipment and rings equipped and only found 3 in total, while a single item requires 15. The only way I could find more is if I abused bonfire ascetic and screw myself over for the later playthroughs. Not criticizing how the game has handled it and it does make it more valuable, but I'm just bummed that I fucked myself over a bit with this one.
Use ascetics in
dragon aerie
. There's only 6 enemies and they're all pretty easy and can be avoided on future runs. By far the best way to get twinkling and PDB.

RedSwirl

Its sort of a required change as theres no real dump stats this time around so even focused builds will likely want to branch into other stuff a bit

Really? I've been almost purely focusing on dexterity and endurance with my build with some dabbling in equipment load. I only just noticed adaptability though and will probably start investing in that too. It says it makes evasion easier but what else? Parrying?

Grief.exe

Both of you reinstall Microsoft drivers and post a screenshot of Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
All I have is afterglow 360 gamepad, sensei raw gaming mouse, and Steeleseries device. It's weird because even if I disconnect my steeleseries mouse it still says steeleseries device on the devices and printers. I don't know what that is.

You didn't do either thing I suggested!

f3e3f846b7eaf30ad45e6ddfd244312e.jpg

Garcia

Man, NG feels really fresh. I did some Co-op for the last hour and we killed 3 pursuers (close to the 2nd. bonfire) and 3 Last Giants.

Most of the guys I've Co-op'd with know exactly what they're doing. The low level Pursuer runs are fantastic; it takes a while but he almost never touches any of us. I remember my n00b days when he pretty much scared the fuck out of me and now he's just a piece of cake to beat solo, lol.

I really feel disappointed because I know my Soul Memory won't be this low for long.

Damn it FROM, remove that shit or do something about it. It's just going to keep segregating the players.

knitoe

But I'm supposed to kill the
red dragons
in order to be able to kill the
crystal lizards
, right? I mean, I do have ranged attacks, but it still sounds quite...dangerous.
Yes. The crystal lizards respawn if they manage to escape. Just hit the bonfire and come back to kill them.

Jito

Banned
Fucking NG+ invaders in Heides Tower, so many just bum rush me while I'm fighting the enemies then have the cheek to taunt me, so cheap!

Garcia

I'm actually not going to attack them from nearby as I haven't been able to find a decent melee weapon for a hex build (I still use the lightning defender's sword, mainly because the lightning version still seems to consistently do more damage at like 90% of the enemies I've seen so far at 30/30 int/faith). I'm just going to stand back and throw spells at them.

I'm forcing myself not to use the binoculars though, as those pretty much broke the game.

I'm of a contrary opinion: I abuse binocular sniping since it made the game extremely enjoyable for me. I love switching back and forth between close range and long range. I buffed my 1st. character so he could deal a proportionate amount of damage from both stances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom