• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

For my NG run I'm bulding a Caestus + Pyro character. I didn't think punching my way through the game would be so fun.

Are claws considered to be a better upgrade later on?

Sinistral

Beat the normal game this morning after about 48 hours. I will agree with others who say that DS>DeS>DS2.

First playthrough, like all the other ganes I went solo, with no covenants or summoning. Even avoiding most information. I redid my DS character Pyromancer who was an armored, shield wearing fire ball thrower. This was more effective in DS as I rarely felt the need to throw fireballs and fireseeds were quite rare so it wasn't that powerful as my weapons far outscaled this. I did use the Bow and Arrow more. My end weapons were the Bastard Sword secondary and Halberd primary.

The ending series of bosses were kind of a let down. I beat the Throne Watcher, Guardian and Nashandra in one try and got the ending and said... that's it? (I hope there's more) Gwyn was a much more epic boss fight for me and the ending revelation of DeS was really nice. Bosses over all felt too reliant on the overwhelming gimmick. Multiple Bosses, having minions, etc. Most of all, I missed the Black Knights and that sense of danger in non-boss encounters with unique non-area themed enemies. I accidentally pulled the swtich to free Navlaan before even seeing him and this increases that sensation. Playing online with invaders and what not is similar but not the same.

At the start, it seemed to have the world construction of Dark Souls but then eventually went to a more obvious segregated level design. Too bad, cause it felt even more disjointed because of it. The sense of scale, awe and amazement were really tame in DS2.

Still a very good enjoyable and challenging game and these games are some of the few that have really captivated me as of late.

zkylon

zkylewd
dragon aerie is pretty damn scary

i love it, at least initially it's really living up to the trailers and stuff

aldia's keep is tragically underwhelming, tho

anyways, such is my character right now:
73092A8768AD1EB98344F6B9E576363763038488

not sure what my plan is, i wanted to get at least two spells and i wanted the lighting sword spell so my faith and attunement i think are alright, and 20 str basically lets me play around with most weapons, at least two-handed, so that's ok too. i put some random points on vigor and vitality and i dunno if going more on endurance is worth it. i stopped at 20 adaptability cos i heard it stops being useful, but i kinda feel bad for leaving that so low

any thoughts?

Mistel

Banned
For my NG run I'm bulding a Caestus + Pyro character. I didn't think punching my way through the game would be so fun.

Are claws considered to be a better upgrade later on?
Try the mankin claws if you like the power stanced move set.
Well that sounds really helpful, only place I've seen one was a starting item, can you find them?
Soldier rest tree of the giants right next to it.

knitoe

Well that sounds really helpful, only place I've seen one was a starting item, can you find them?
It grows on a tree in a room near the last bonfire in zone Forest of the Giants. It has a 10% chance of growing. The percentage goes up if you keep getting invaded. It's best to keep checking the tree after 1-2 hours.

Jito

Banned
Thanks, I'll pop back and have a look for one in a bit, managed to make it through without getting invaded for once!

They really need to fix the break guard/jump attacks, I miss half of the times and it's a pain in PvP. I booted up Dark Souls to check if it was just as inconsistent and it definitely wasn't, I always pull it off there, so it's pretty safe to say that it's not me or the controller (X360 pad).

Anyone else having the same issue?

Mistel

Banned
Are you guys sure that
Dragon's Aerie
is the best place for PDB and Twinkling titanite? Looked up the tally and it seems you get 6 a piece, meaning I'd need to use three ascetics (and thus up it to NG+++). That would mean that It would actually go up to NG++++ when I continue onto the next game.

I heard using bonfire ascetics can spawn new enemies as well. Will that happen if I use it there?
It doesn't spawn any new ones at the Aerie unless I walked straight past them they're will till only be the 3 dragons and a few mummies.

AngryMoth

Are you guys sure that
Dragon's Aerie
is the best place for PDB and Twinkling titanite? Looked up the tally and it seems you get 6 a piece, meaning I'd need to use three ascetics (and thus up it to NG+++). That would mean that It would actually go up to NG++++ when I continue onto the next game.

I heard using bonfire ascetics can spawn new enemies as well. Will that happen if I use it there?
I'm pretty sure it's the best spot yeah. In other places you're gonna end up using ascetics as well. Don't be afraid, even on NG+7 the enemies in that area didn't that one shot me. And like I said on you're next game you just take the alternate paths to avoid them. No additional enemies to worry about either.

impact

Banned
Anyone with Soul Memory 7-9M want to help me with Dual Pursuers in Drangleic Castle?

I will if you're still looking. Haven't played all week so I might be a bit rusty but it's pretty easy anyway.

If you go in and get grabbed by one the other will disappear

knitoe

Are you guys sure that
Dragon's Aerie

For PDB, this is the fastest way. You don't have to fight any mobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUUJ74S1SQA

Sid

Darklurker done! used Soul Greatsword,Flame Swathe and Homing Crystal Mass along with some Amber Herb,rolled and dodged a LOT and finally got his collective ass,what a fight,using the Soul Greatsword when they were splitting was seriously effective.

EDIT: By the way, guys, what weapon would work well with a 30/30 int/faith hex user? I'm currently switching between faith magic, pyromancies and hexes as offensive attacks, but my melee isn't as strong as it was (still doing approx 320 per hit on regular enemies).
I don't think it matters too much since a lot of your damage should be coming from hexes. Just pick a weapon with a moveset you like, get the min required str/dex to wield it, dark infuse it and cast dark weapon to boost dark damage. Also, there's a ring you'll probably want if you don't have it already:
the Pilgrims of Dark covenant ring (abyss seal) boosts dark damage for a small HP penalty per cast.
I personally just used a Dark Sun Sword +10 but I'm sure there are better options if your only concern is maximizing damage output.

RedSwirl

No, I think it increases resistances to poison, bleed, petrify and curse and it also makes you chug estus flasks quicker. Oh and it also increases poise, but fuck poise.

Nah there's another stat called AGL that it's also supposed to effect.

Edit: And I noticed there doesn't seem to be a light roll for when you have under 25% equip load (Dark Souls has three rolls: light, medium, and fat). The only divider seems to be over and under 70% load. I guess high AGL is the replacement for that?

Ancient Dragon
is the dumbest bullshit. I'm all for tough bosses but one hit kill moves that have a large AOE are not fun. Combined with a bunch of other bullshit throughout this game, it feels like it wasn't even made by the people who made DS1. It's like they forgot all about what makes the Souls games fun. First the early game is completely easy and then everything after Shrine of Amana is completely unfair garbage. Holy fuck! It's really souring my overall opinion of the game. /rant

Anyways, is it even possible to reliably avoid
Ancient Dragon'
s AOE fire attack (where he flies up into the air)? I've read that running to his tail can avoid it, and it does...if you can make it there. There's a small tell when he's about to fly up that I always look for but sometimes you just can't reach his tail in time, the fire AOE is too big. Is there a more reliable way of dodging it? It's really annoying having to go through that idiotic gauntlet of enemies every time you die to reach him.

So I'm playing a pure non-miracle magic build and maxed a couple of staffs as a result. Here's what I discovered over some of the staffs in the game:

1. Bat Staff has that OP ranged dark fog skill but that's pretty much it.
  2. Bone Staff can immediately induce poison with dark fog.
  3. Black Witch's Staff is a jack of all trades staff that can also cast miracles. Great for hexer builds
  4. Olenford's Staff is another jack of all trades staff with decent magic and dark damage but it's not worth the twinkling titanite to invest in maxing it.
  5. Sorcerer's Staff deserves a special mention as it has the second best casting speed compared to all these staffs but it's damage pretty much tapers out as the enemies get tougher.
  6. Sunset Staff deals the most dark damage when maxed and infused with dark
  7. Staff of Amana deals the most magic damage when human, maxed, and infused with magic.
  8. Witchtree Branch is a slightly stronger Sorcerer's Staff but has a best natural casting speed of all staffs. I'm not a expert on PvP but I feel that could be a great boon to have

Every other staff is just inferior statswise.

Jito

Banned
Anyone else noticed you can see underneath and through the bottom of
Lost Bastille
from the boat after
No-mans Wharf
, guess they didn't think anyone would look up! Actually when you think about the level design it makes no sense, you go up the lift then exit the same door you entered, leading up stairs that would be floating off into the air from the cliff you just ascended.

Sid

Ancient Dragon
is the dumbest bullshit. I'm all for tough bosses but one hit kill moves that have a large AOE are not fun. Combined with a bunch of other bullshit throughout this game, it feels like it wasn't even made by the people who made DS1. It's like they forgot all about what makes the Souls games fun. First the early game is completely easy and then everything after Shrine of Amana is completely unfair garbage. Holy fuck! It's really souring my overall opinion of the game. /rant

Anyways, is it even possible to reliably avoid
Ancient Dragon'
s AOE fire attack (where he flies up into the air)? I've read that running to his tail can avoid it, and it does...if you can make it there. There's a small tell when he's about to fly up that I always look for but sometimes you just can't reach his tail in time, the fire AOE is too big. Is there a more reliable way of dodging it? It's really annoying having to go through that idiotic gauntlet of enemies every time you die to reach him.
You'll need Gower's Ring of Protection,you won't avoid it but it would negate the damage on being hit.

You'll need Gower's Ring of Protection,you won't avoid it but it would negate the damage on being hit.

I'd rather not since the enemies in that area would be harder for my NG+ run. There has to be a method to avoid it 100% of the time. If not, then the developers have truly fucked the game up.

Sid

I'd rather not since the enemies in that area would be harder for my NG+ run. There has to be a method to avoid it 100% of the time. If not, then the developers have truly fucked the game up.
You get the first one without using the Ascetic I believe,I don't think you can avoid it 100% of the time.

AngryMoth

I'd rather not since it would the enemies in that area harder for my NG+ run. There has to be a method to avoid it 100% of the time. If not, then the developers have truly fucked the game up.
Go naked since it's a ohko not matter what. The second you see his wings start to flap start running. You have to anticipate the attack, don't get greedy and never let yourself run out of stamina.

And yes, worst boss in the series imo.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I mean, there is. You just have to play more reserved. I did it with Gowers ring, but the times where I did get hit in the back I recognized it was because I was playing sloppy with my stamina.

burgerdog

What what what. I spent an hour in 2-2, everything cool, nothing comes close to killing me. I find a lava room and I dip my toes briefly and instant death. Good stuff.

AngryMoth

It also scales with your soul memory slightly that's all I can think being different if you're using the same stats as PS3.
Didn't know that thanks. Could be that since I was at about 18m on PS3 but I haven't noticed an increase going from about 5.5m to 8.5m on this character this far.

Uthred

I mean, there is. You just have to play more reserved. I did it with Gowers ring, but the times where I did get hit in the back I recognized it was because I was playing sloppy with my stamina.

Yeah its a tedious fight but its actually easy enough once you play conservatively, I didnt bother with Gowers ring and managed to dodge it 100%.

Grief.exe

So I'm playing a pure non-miracle magic build and maxed a couple of staffs as a result. Here's what I discovered over some of the staffs in the game:

1. Bat Staff has that OP ranged dark fog skill but that's pretty much it.
  2. Bone Staff can immediately induce poison with dark fog.
  3. Black Witch's Staff is a jack of all trades staff that can also cast miracles. Great for hexer builds
  4. Olenford's Staff is another jack of all trades staff with decent magic and dark damage but it's not worth the twinkling titanite to invest in maxing it.
  5. Sorcerer's Staff deserves a special mention as it has the second best casting speed compared to all these staffs but it's damage pretty much tapers out as the enemies get tougher.
  6. Sunset Staff deals the most dark damage when maxed and infused with dark
  7. Staff of Amana deals the most magic damage when human, maxed, and infused with magic.
  8. Witchtree Branch is a slightly stronger Sorcerer's Staff but has a best natural casting speed of all staffs. I'm not a expert on PvP but I feel that could be a great boon to have

Every other staff is just inferior statswise.

What about Staff of Wisdom?

Pharros Lockstone right behind the first Drakekeeper in Dragon Aerie

SRTtoZ

Oh my god. They REALLY need to explain the god damn covenants next time around before you join. Apparently I joined a covenant that makes you hit less hard and doesnt let you see summon signs. For the first 10 hours I figured everyone was high level so I couldnt summon anyone but I googled "cant see summon signs" and found out the covenant I was apart of removes them. Now this feels more like Dark Souls...

AngryMoth

Oh my god. They REALLY need to explain the god damn covenants next time around before you join. Apparently I joined a covenant that makes you hit less hard and doesnt let you see summon signs. For the first 10 hours I figured everyone was high level so I couldnt summon anyone but I googled "cant see summon signs" and found out the covenant I was apart of removes them. Now this feels more like Dark Souls...
"This will set you on an arduous path. Are you sure you want to join this covenant." ;)

Arjen

It warns you twice that it will taken you on a long hard path..

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

FROM just trolling big time... fact it's the first covenant you see makes it even worst ;)!

Mistel

Banned
Didn't know that thanks. Could be that since I was at about 18m on PS3 but I haven't noticed an increase going from about 5.5m to 8.5m on this character this far.
It might also be affected by soul level I've heard both but I'd trust wikidot more which says level affects than random sources.
FROM just trolling big time... fact it's the first covenant you see makes it even worst ;)!
Curiously the covenant of the meek is next to the champions more or less.

Thrakier

So who again claimed that it doesn't matter which armor you wear. Because it does. I hot wasted in dark armor vs. Spiders but I'm fine in drangleic. ....

You get the first one without using the Ascetic I believe,I don't think you can avoid it 100% of the time.

Double checked, either need to use an ascetic or wait until you enter NG+ neither of which I want to do.

Go naked since it's a ohko not matter what. The second you see his wings start to flap start running. You have to anticipate the attack, don't get greedy and never let yourself run out of stamina.

And yes, worst boss in the series imo.

Yeah to tell you the truth I don't think I've even been hit by any of his other attacks, just the stupid one hit kill. Naked might be the way to go here.

I was ok with the one hit kill fire breath AOE for Hellkite in DS1 since he was optional (well AD is too, but not if you want to kill Vendrick), close to a bonfire (literally downstairs from where you fight him), and didn't have to go through a gauntlet of tough enemies to reach him. Ancient Dragon, the area leading to him and the actual fight just reeks of bad design, extremely disappointing for a series that is known for the complete opposite (and why I fell in love with it in the first place.)

What I basically did is
never remain too long around his feet in general. I tend to stand a few meters in front of his face and bait any of his fire breathing attacks, which he almost exclusively uses when you're in front of him. When he raises his neck to breathe in front of him, I immediately run and dodge towards his body and to the right, stand still besides his neck and shoot magic into its neck (or attack its claws with melee), after which I quickly go back to where I was standing. If he instead chooses to fly up, I immediately run away as far as I can from where it's standing. Because I'm generally always a few meters away from its face in the first place, it also gives me plenty of time to get out of its AOE attack range. Makes it much easier to avoid that attack than if I were to stick to its feet.

I'll try facing him instead of my traditional leg humping methods. But I don't think I will ever be able to dodge it 100% with my current weight (65%) and will have to go close to naked to be reliable with it.

If I were to play that way I'd only be able to hit him once per cycle. The AOE is too large and the I don't have enough stamina to outrun his firebreath. It seems like bad design to only be able to hit a boss (who has such a large amount of health) once per opportunity for fear of having to use 85% of my stamina to dodge an attack. The game works pretty well up until this battle with the idea of attacking enough so that you still have a little bit of stamina to roll away from an attack. But completely changing that to the opposite seems contrary to the way the game teaches you to play. I'm not just attacking willy nilly until my stamina runs out, I wouldn't have made it this far in the game by myself if I played like Jeff Green the whole way.

SRTtoZ

"This will set you on an arduous path. Are you sure you want to join this covenant." ;)

It warns you twice that it will taken you on a long hard path..

Lol yea but going into DARK SOULS I expected it to be a long hard path. Anyways, holy shit, summon signs everywhere! I was really ready to break my Dualshock 4 because some of the situations were so damn hard, especially without some help.

Mistel

Banned
So who again claimed that it doesn't matter which armor you wear. Because it does. I hot wasted in dark armor vs. Spiders but I'm fine in drangleic. ....
You dress for style and aim not to get hit so that's why it doesn't matter that much. Maybe it is your playstyle that put you in that situation?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I miss the boss fights from DS1, even freaking Capra demon. DS2 has too much of a habit of ganking you with 2 or 3 boss at a time. Im not very far, but its the feeling i have so far, and it sucks.

impact

Banned
I miss the boss fights from DS1, even freaking Capra demon. DS2 has too much of a habit of ganking you with 2 or 3 boss at a time. Im not very far, but its the feeling i have so far, and it sucks.

This is a funny complaint because all of the multiple bosses in DS2 are easy as fuck.

The boss fights in general are almost all bad, multiple or single.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom