• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

You know what the worst part of Shrine of Amana is, it's not even that difficult, it's just really easy to die in the water and its 100x more frustrating when you do since you have to slowly go through all the enemies again

Vitor711

That's not the point. Just that it makes a difference in how many hits you can take.

Well yes, but people on this thread are saying that it literally doesn't matter at all what armour your wear when that's clearly not the case.

If you play a tank character, going for something with higher poise will absolutely help out. Also, I can't count the amount of times that I thought I was dead, only for my character to get back up with a tiny sliver of health that wasn't viewable. I've won boss fights due to that.

If you're good at dodging, sure, dress to impress. But you will absolutely be at a disadvantage compared to those with the same skill level but better gear.

Oh my god. They REALLY need to explain the god damn covenants next time around before you join. Apparently I joined a covenant that makes you hit less hard and doesnt let you see summon signs. For the first 10 hours I figured everyone was high level so I couldnt summon anyone but I googled "cant see summon signs" and found out the covenant I was apart of removes them. Now this feels more like Dark Souls...

Absolutely. I read all the stuff about DkS2 having more clarity when it came to covenants than the original. It barely does.

And comments like the game saying 'It'll make the game harder' mean jack sh*t. Why not specifically say I won't be able to summon? Why have me sign up only to not know what I'm getting into? It's not like you're locked into your decision. You can just warp back to your previous covenant zone. It's just annoying.

Also, having that covenant be the first you can find? Come on. Pure nonsense for people who barely touched the feature in the past.

Uthred

Ancient Dragon, the area leading to him and the actual fight just reeks of bad design, extremely disappointing for a series that is known for the complete opposite (and why I fell in love with it in the first place.)

I really enjoyed the "gauntlet" leading up to the Ancient Dragon and it works fine for its intended purpose, its only a pain in the arse if you decide to take on AD, who is more or less entirely optional. You can easily do
Vendrick
(who's also entirely optional) with just 4 souls, it only doubles his defence - though hes as equally uninspiring a fight as AD.

KarmaCow

I'll try facing him instead of my traditional leg humping methods. But I don't think I will ever be able to dodge it 100% with my current weight (65%) and will have to go close to naked to be reliable with it.

Does your armour have special attributes like chance of a critting with normal attacks? If it's just for damage mitigation, there's no point wearing it. I believe you regen stamina faster with lower load too.

49 hours later, finally cleared Dark Souls II. NG I mean :p

Went to collect some achievements from Drummond, Cale and Berndhart (which I had to use at bonfire ascetic at Brightsone Cove Tseldora to get it... which also spawned two huge and awful mutant boars!)

Any tips and items I should go pick up/buy before embarking on Drangleic 2: Die Harder?

edit: and I didn't defeat Vendrick yet. Is it wise to bring two sunbros with me? I have 4 Giant souls.

Want easy souls? Want to give a lot of people a good time? Want something you can just watch in the background while doing something else?

Host a fight club! Anyone can do it and its so easy to create a great PvP environment. If someone is a nuisance, you just don't summon them again - easy!

6E6BC1A8732F1E9F79345AA991211E8A10E08FE8

Durante

Absolutely. I read all the stuff about DkS2 having more clarity when it came to covenants than the original. It barely does.
It has far more clarity. In addition to the covenants themselves usually telling you at least a bit about them (or a lot), there's also item descriptions for covenant items which are generally clear, and NPCs such as Shalquoir also explain some of them.

I think making anything even more clear would require From to break immersion to explain it, and that is clearly something they refuse to do (a hallmark of the series).

ACE 1991

About to pick this up and want to go in cold other than planning my stat progression. What tends to be the most fun for ds2? Is a dual wielding magic hybrid viable for pve?

Edit: also is there a GMG 25% off coupon floating around?

KarmaCow

Is there a way to check the stats and compare armour/weapons outside of the equip menu? Getting stuff out of the item box can be annoying when looking for certain resists.

About to pick this up and want to go in cold other than planning my stat progression. What tends to be the most fun for ds2? Is a dual wielding magic hybrid viable for pve?

Edit: also is there a GMG 25% off coupon floating around?

I played melee and it's definitely more interesting, spells are kinda rote in PvE. You can try doing both, it's pretty easy to get the requries stats with the flatten level up curve.

The code on the front page should work with Dark Souls 2.

Nerokis

This is a funny complaint because all of the multiple bosses in DS2 are easy as fuck.

The boss fights in general are almost all bad, multiple or single.

They definitely are, but I feel his criticism is still valid. It's something I noticed, as well. DS2 relies too much on multiple boss battles, and not even in an interesting way most of the time. Two examples that stand out are the
Belfry Gargoyles
and the Throne Watchers. The former was almost insulting in comparison to the original encounter in DS1. And the latter was just boring. "Spend a lot of time strafing around and dodging, and then wait until both use their attacks at a similar time so that I can get a hit or two in" is not an interesting strategy, and that was typically what many of these fights entirely boiled down to. There was almost no variety in their attacks, nothing clever about the AI or how the two boss characters came together.

One good one is probably the Ruin Sentinels. It had a good sequence to it, and the sentinels had a varied enough moveset to give something to work with. This also happened to be one of the more difficult bosses, as well.

On another note, I've started up Demon's Souls and it's already impressed me so much that I almost wanted to tear up in appreciation of it. :p The Armor Spider is the first encounter in the game that's resulted in a soul loss, so it hasn't exactly been difficult (though the Armor Spider seems to be pretty tough), but my god I appreciate how well the game is doing most things already. An incredible experience right away, which takes me back to how Dark Souls initially grabbed me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow,
Flexile Sentry
fight was dreadfully easy, maybe Heide Sword +5 does that to it. But I expected a way more varied moveset, for obvious reasons.

Now these predator dudes, those are the real deal.

RSLAEV

Damnit I am so pissed...
I started as a Cleric and I've been playing over 30 hours-The whole time I'm wondering "When am I going to see a cleric vendor" and "What the hell do I do with all of these boss souls"

I totally missed the
ring you pull to open the sewer door to the tower of Heidi
and I
didn't unpetrify Straid because he was blocking a bonfire that was so close to the Servants quarters bonfire that I didn't think it was worth it/

So I've been playing this whole time as a Z-Tier cleric with crap weapons because I missed these two things...damn...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Pretty sure the first covenant you can find is the easy covenant. The hard covenant is comparatively out of the way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Pretty sure the first covenant you can find is the easy covenant. The hard covenant is comparatively out of the way.

Depends on the type of player you are. You could not exhaust all of the crestfallen dudes dialog and easily happen upon the champions covenant.

Sullichin

Finally got the whole Mad Warrior set. The only thing I really wanted was the mask, which of course was the last thing to drop. That took fucking forever.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So I'm nearing the end of DkS1. I've played with a shield / 1 hander in both DeS and DkS1 but am thinking about trying magic for DkS2. Is playing a magic based character fun?

Is there a good place to farm
Human Effigies? I've probably wasted 15 trying to get through the Dark Chasm, with the majority of the deaths being fall-related (or rather, due to being pushed off).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I'm nearing the end of DkS1. I've played with a shield / 1 hander in both DeS and DkS1 but am thinking about trying magic for DkS2. Is playing a magic based character fun?

It makes the game pretty easy, particularly Miracles.

Mistel

Banned
It's kind of easy mode but it maybe enjoyable to you.
Human Effigies? I've probably wasted 15 trying to get through the Dark Chasm, with the majority of the deaths being fall-related (or rather, due to being pushed off).
Asetic the crestfallen's retreat for the 5 that spawn in a chest nearby you can keep doing it till you get enough.

Grief.exe

Played around with Soul Great Sword for a few minutes today in PVP and it's damn fun.

lol,for 30 min i stood here and no one found my place

31189A9997A6A5AAFE587D02351D706E8D751ACE

3 invader died at that place by falling , other came by also died

I actually killed a guy yesterday using that spell in that spot with the Gyrm Great Hammer, maybe it was you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol,for 30 min i stood here and no one found my place

3 invader died at that place by falling , other came by also died

I love that spell, but it's too situational and people have to be completely dumb for it to work. :(

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
It might also be affected by soul level I've heard both but I'd trust wikidot more which says level affects than random sources.

Curiously the covenant of the meek is next to the champions more or less.

Yep, I did use a lot of help in this one. DS 1 I did all the boss solo, but was kinda cool not having to try the boss 10x and just go in with some help. Different experience but still good!

Finally got the whole Mad Warrior set. The only thing I really wanted was the mask, which of course was the last thing to drop. That took fucking forever.

Got it recently myself. Looks bad ass, going to be my ng+ armor of choice. Too bad it is Twinkling upgrade. Got the Mask to drop first for me, tried to get a 2nd Berserker blade but no dice. Once he dropped 1 of everything, didn't get anything else to drop in over an hour.

Leezard

Got it recently myself. Looks bad ass, going to be my ng+ armor of choice. Too bad it is Twinkling upgrade. Got the Mask to drop first for me, tried to get a 2nd Berserker blade but no dice. Once he dropped 1 of everything, didn't get anything else to drop in over an hour.

I think you need to use an Ascetic to make him drop his stuff again. IIRC, he only does drop one of each equipment piece per bonfire intensity (or perhaps NG? I'm uncertain).

L.O.R.D

Played around with Soul Great Sword for a few minutes today in PVP and it's damn fun.

I actually killed a guy yesterday using that spell in that spot with the Gyrm Great Hammer, maybe it was you.

it wasn't a spell , it was an item
but no , some one else killed me , he found me and just swing his sword on me and i fall

Taruranto

1)
Chest in the cave behind the first Bonfire in the Forest of Giant after you burn 1 Effigy (the one you pass from Majula) has 5 effigies every time.

2)
Skeletons in the manors have a 100% drop rate, each effigy adds 1 skeleton.

SRTtoZ

Ok how do I get more attunement slots? The guide I read says at 12 ATN I get 2 slots but I still can only attune 1 spell at a bonfire. What gives?

nm, I think the guide is wrong and its 13 ATN I need.

eot

Banned
Omg, Mytha SL1 CoC. What a shitfest. She does the delayed swing thing hollows do, it's so easy to miss a dodge. Nearly had it then got OHKO so many times. Glad I won't have to do that again.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man they need to buff dex damage something fierce.

It's sad how little damage my dual wielding dex guy does with 2 +10 rapiers.

Mistel

Banned
Man they need to buff dex damage something fierce.

It's sad how little damage my dual wielding dex guy does with 2 +10 rapiers.
Respec for strength and use estoc's instead as they scale with strength more than rapiers whilst sharing the moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom