• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

GIANT LORD

I cannot beat this guy. Correction, I DID beat him, but I died at the same time and it turns out you get jack for trading lives. I got within a hit of killing him but no dice.

First of all, his sword just goes straight through my block and nearly kills me. I try to stay around his legs, but I cannot see myself through his stupid giant hakama pants. I tried to summon Benhart, but he is either an idiot who tries to fight the other enemies and by the time he gets to GL he's at half health and gets decimated. I also tried to kill the other enemies with Benhart, but they hit like a truck and the fireballs don't help. I'm about to pull my hair out over this.
I found going up on the rampart beside him to work better for me (as a ranged person).

Ghost23

So every second I play I get like a one frame stutter. It doesn't make it unplayable, but it is definitely noticeable and annoying. Has anyone else had this problem, and how can I possibly fix it?

Jintor

GIANT LORD

I cannot beat this guy. Correction, I DID beat him, but I died at the same time and it turns out you get jack for trading lives. I got within a hit of killing him but no dice.

First of all, his sword just goes straight through my block and nearly kills me. I try to stay around his legs, but I cannot see myself through his stupid giant hakama pants. I tried to summon Benhart, but he is either an idiot who tries to fight the other enemies and by the time he gets to GL he's at half health and gets decimated. I also tried to kill the other enemies with Benhart, but they hit like a truck and the fireballs don't help. I'm about to pull my hair out over this.

He's not too hard, apart from the bit where he kills you instantly.

You can dodge around his legs without too much difficulty, but don't go through them, more around them. Watch for his windups and avoid his stomps. If you're dealing okay damage to him it's just a case of not making any mistakes.

Don't even bother killing the other enemies. Run forward and to the right, past the rolling head, dodge the sword then start wailing on him

BadWolf

GIANT LORD

Forget about blocking, spend a moment to get the timing down to dodge his moves.

For the most part he just uses three (vertical slice, horizontal slice and leg stomp if you are close) and a variation or two occasionally. Each attack has a long recovery so you can easily get some hits in after dodging.

Grief.exe

GIANT LORD

He has three target points you can switch between. One on each leg and one on his chest.

I've found that keeping the target on his chest helps me keep an eye on him. Roll between his legs when he swings.

kionedrik

GIANT LORD

If you're melee just stay right behind him. When he telegrafs his backwards swipe, roll between his legs to the other side and get some hits in. You won't get hit once.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wow you guys weren't kidding about using great lightning spears against DL. Kind of disappointed after one-shotting it. Dark Infused Transgressor's Leather shield meant I could fully block most of the spells and then it was just a matter of a few spears and it was all over too soon, which all seems like a metaphor for certain things I won't explain in this thread.

One weird glitch I encountered was that I got the dragon chime after beating all 3 and DL, but no Xanthos set or Climax hex miracle. I had to go back in to one of the dungeons and beat it again, run through the empty DL room, and then down the fog pit again for Grandal to recognize I had beaten DL.

The dungeons were extremely hard though, especially when the phantoms would gang up on me. Staying back and using a bow never worked as they always seemed to have extremely aggressive AI range that would follow me all the way back no matter how far away I stood. The Drangelic Castle one was just stupid hard, so many pitfalls and full of super tough enemies. Glad that is over.

I ended up staying and invading after I completed the covenant. But with a twist. I ran around killing the NPC phantoms and then black crystal'd out =D

Gibbo

Make sure you're "fast rolling" and not dropping like a sack of potatoes. You fast roll under 70% equipment load. Levels don't really matter much, it's more about just getting used to the controls and enemy patterns. It's possible to beat the game at level 1, and it's also possible to have trouble even at really high levels with amazing gear.

You can upgrade your weapon to deal more damage with Titanite Shards. Make sure you buy the Blacksmith Key from the old lady merchant and unlock the entrance to the smithery.

For the Last Giant: Stay behind and close to the feet. Bait foot stomps and whittle him down. Watch out for sweeping attacks, they go behind a bit. Don't get greedy except when he reaches the health point where he rips off the arm (Because then he's just free).

For the Dragonrider: Block and circle strafe up close. Don't keep your shield up when you're not blocking so your stamina recharges faster. Buy a decent shield from the armorer and this fight becomes a cinch. You can also easily roll right through the Dragonrider's attacks once you get better at using those invincibility frames, but I'd just recommend blocking and circle strafing.

Thanks for the tips man- i think i've been overloading my swordsman with armour. he rolls like you said- a sack of potatoes

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
GIANT LORD

Stay between his legs and behind him, his sword attacks will never hit you and his stomps are super easy to avoid.

Newboi

I finally got 45 STR so I could one-hand Havel's shield. Man, that thing is beastly. The pursuer was beyond dirt easy with it in the Iron Keep.

I think I'll stop pouring points into strength now and move to Vigor and Endurance. I'm guessing thirty in each would be good? I also want to start pumping points into faith as well. For PvE, those lighting attacks are beyond deadly.

Mistel

Banned
I finally got 45 STR so I could one-hand Havel's shield. Man, that thing is beastly. The pursuer was beyond dirt easy with it in the Iron Keep.

I think I'll stop pouring points into strength now and move to Vigor and Endurance. I'm guessing thirty in each would be good? I also want to start pumping points into faith as well. For PvE, those lighting attacks are beyond deadly.
Those are good places to stop leveling them along with vitality might I suggest adaptability?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's far from perfect, but this Shaded Woods texture update is a pretty huge improvement.

121-1-1399961872.jpg

121-2-1399961873.jpg

They made it simple so that all of the tiling isn't as obvious, but I think it's an upgrade.

Link

garath

I've started working on some faith but my bandit start makes this very rough. I started with 2 attunement :( can't slot a single thing until 10. Faith is a decent start at 8 at least.

Ruuppa

I use melee but I don't want to be handicaped, not sure if magic would be usefull later on, I'm level 70 with 28 strength and 20 dexterity, faith and intelligence are the starting values.

You could go for 14 Faith and 10 Attunement just to use Magic Barrier. That 15% resist to all elements works nicely for a long time.

BadWolf

I use melee but I don't want to be handicaped, not sure if magic would be usefull later on, I'm level 70 with 28 strength and 20 dexterity, faith and intelligence are the starting values.

You can if you like. I stopped putting points in dex/strength after getting the stats I needed to one hand the weapon I liked.

There are also consumable items (spices) that let you lower faith/Intelligence requirements for spells.

You also have the option to use magic through the pyromancy glove if you like, the damage increases based on how much you upgrade the glove instead of stats. There are no stat requirements to use it, just attunement slots.

Mistel

Banned
So what's the difference between the 2 white sopastones? Other than the different rewards
Shades time out faster is one.
Pure melee is viable try ranged options like a bow if you feel handicapped.

You could go for 14 Faith and 10 Attunement just to use Magic Barrier. That 15% resist to all elements works nicely for a long time.

You can if you like. I stopped putting points in dex/strength after getting the stats I needed to one hand the weapon I liked.

There are also consumable items (spices) that let you lower faith/Intelligence requirements for spells.

You also have the option to use magic through the pyromancy glove if you like, the damage increases based on how much you upgrade the glove instead of stats. There are no stat requirements to use it, just attunement slots.

Shades time out faster is one.

Pure melee is viable try ranged options like a bow if you feel handicapped.

Thanks guys.

So what's the difference between the 2 white sopastones? Other than the different rewards

Small only requires to to kill a few guys (literally 3-4) for your duty to be fufilled. Large requires you to beat a boss. I believe both turn you human and repair equipment, but someone can confirm.

Obviously different items as well.

Is there a certain bow you guys would recommend for a Melee Knight? I'm like 75-80, have 30ish str and 20 dex (I'm fine with increasing these more if it would be worth it for a certain weapon). I do fine most of the time but I feel like I could really use some sort of ranged attack to deal with certain enemies.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks guys.
Is there a certain bow you guys would recommend for a Melee Knight? I'm like 75-80, have 30ish str and 20 dex (I'm fine with increasing these more if it would be worth it for a certain weapon). I do fine most of the time but I feel like I could really use some sort of ranged attack to deal with certain enemies.
If you up your dexterity by 5 points you will be able to use the greatbows which allow you to stagger things with great arrows plus:
Who could say no to that?
I like there to at least be SOME skill involved when it comes to parrying ;)
3rqNYzZ.gif

Nice work though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I really hope they make it so Cracked Red/Blue Eye Orbs keep searching for awhile rather than immediately telling you it can't find an invasion target. So annoying.

Ruuppa

Depends on what you want to use it for. I like the Shortbow as it's light and shoots fast, so it's excellent for poisoning things. Composite bow is pretty great for a Quality-ish build such as yours. I've found Greatbows to be a bit too fiddly to use properly, but YMMV.

Ruuppa

Different rewards?

Small soapstone gives you a Smooth and Silky Stone when your duty is fulfilled.

The big difference between the two is that the SWSS has a much larger SM -range than the regular one, which is offset by the limited time you can be summoned with it.

I've been using a long bow. Decent enough damage and pretty good range.

What's the deal with that L2 move when you 2hand a greatsword (the ultra greatsword named greatsword to be specific)? It does no damage and evidently it's not a parry either.

If you up your dexterity by 5 points you will be able to use the greatbows which allow you to stagger things with great arrows plus:

Who could say no to that?

Depends on what you want to use it for. I like the Shortbow as it's light and shoots fast, so it's excellent for poisoning things. Composite bow is pretty great for a Quality-ish build such as yours. I've found Greatbows to be a bit too fiddly to use properly, but YMMV.

I've been using a long bow. Decent enough damage and pretty good range.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Last question, can I buy these somewhere or do I have to find them (if so, where)?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Don't go hollow, ctw03. Everyone loses if you go the "If you're a jerk I'll be a bigger jerk" route.
What's the deal with that L2 move when you 2hand a greatsword (the ultra greatsword named greatsword to be specific)? It does no damage and evidently it's not a parry either.
It's supposed to be a parry. The timing is just probably very narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom