• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
PvP in this game is broken. Got invaded twice during Looking Glass Knight, both players used spin to win halberds, got killed from literally 15 feet away. Unbelievable.
You can parry that...
I hate when I get the meaty crunch of an attack connecting but their health bar doesn't move for shit because of Lag Souls
That does suck especially if they then back stab you from the front.

A really neat touch I noticed with my new character (a large, bearded man that vaguely resembles Ganondorf crossed with Fullmetal Alchemist's Hohenheim) is that there are three states of a character's appearance; for simplicity's sake I will call them Human, Undead, and Hollowed.

• Human is the regular appearance made at character creation.
  • Undead is similar to Human, but with green, rotten skin and white eyes.
  • Hollowed is like Undead, but with dramatically less/thinner hair and no beard.

There's also a couple different stances a character will have while idle, which seem to depend on their current health level.

Very cool features, From!

You can parry that...

That does suck especially if they then back stab you from the front.

I'm going to parry an attack that is lagging so badly it is hitting me from where I was literally a full second ago? You don't seem to understand the situation here. I'm backing away from them. They spin from halfway across the arena, their spin ends a good 15 feet away from me. I then die. I am not standing right next to them like an idiot. I am nowhere near them, and getting killed because this game is about as reliable as playing with people in China.

Jintor

You can parry tazzy devil attacks? I gotta try it. They do negligible shield damage at this point though.

I'm pondering trying a dual shield thing for funsies. More entertaining than boxing, at least right now. I'm too dependent on shielding...

No just as a general thing you can parry a halberd twirl preventing it from being an issue lag non withstanding of course.

The lag is the entire issue here. I don't give a damn about halberd because I have no intention of playing Dark Souls silly PvP, but I don't want to play offline because I still leave messages and put down my sign for summons.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I only had enough time (if had to be honest, was lazy, as well) to quickly search the thread.

For those using Durante's 4xSparseGrid Inspector hack, I noticed there was a glitch that will cause shadows around lighting to break producing broken lines that crawl and flicker. There's an easy fix for it. Under the 'Antialiasing fix' setting, just select and apply the Team Fortress 2 flag and that's it, problem solved.

Before (circled the glitchy areas):
DarkSoulsII_2014_04_29_00_50_30_553 by vincentric, on Flickr

After (TF2 fix applied):
DarkSoulsII_2014_04_29_00_48_53_752 by vincentric, on Flickr

Inspector settings:
Untitled by vincentric, on Flickr

Love the game, have been spending most of my free time on it, am further along into it now I've reached the huntsman's copse area.

elfinke

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I only had enough time (if had to be honest, was lazy, as well) to quickly search the thread.

For those using Durante's 4xSparseGrid Inspector hack, I noticed there was a glitch that will cause shadows around lighting to break producing broken lines that crawl and flicker. There's an easy fix for it. Under the 'Antialiasing fix' setting, just select and apply the Team Fortress 2 flag and that's it, problem solved.

Love the game, have been spending most of my free time on it, am further along into it now I've reached the huntsman's copse area.

What's the program to give an in-game overlay of system performance like that? I dig it.

Inspector settings:

Thank you! Those white lines/breaks were driving me crazy.

Na, DS1 was extremely short once you knew what to do, DS2 is a bigger game, but once you know what to do, most content becomes optional, I'm not surprised actually!

The Souls games have always been deceivingly large until you know how to run through it. I remember it first dawning on me when I saw a DS1 speedrun where the first 2 bells were rung in under 12 minutes had me flabbergasted. On the flip side, it is deep enough to sink 50+ hours in exploring every nook and cranny.

Schwartzwold

Neo Member
Can someone help me with the Belfry Gargoyles? I cannot beat them for the life of me. I'm SL 50 using a morning star.

Character's name is HugeSlut. Steam name is Marion.

Levyne

Banned
I'm not even a speed runner or even a good Souls player, but the different between NG and NG+ in terms of how long it takes is always astonishing for me. You really do (or at least, I really do) learn the maps and paths and layout of the game through a slow paced NG and then it feels like later run throughs take a third of the time.

Altazor

I think the Belfry Gargoyles fight has been the most exhilarating one for me. My palms were getting sweaty by the end - I was trying to constantly avoid the fire attacks by non-stop moving. It was a bit TOO much for my liking, but I had fun. And I beat them on my second try - I don't know how I did it, but it felt damn good.

Schwartzwold

Neo Member
I think the Belfry Gargoyles fight has been the most exhilarating one for me. My palms were getting sweaty by the end - I was trying to constantly avoid the fire attacks by non-stop moving. It was a bit TOO much for my liking, but I had fun. And I beat them on my second try - I don't know how I did it, but it felt damn good.

I strongly disagree. The entire fight to me is a huge bore and just feels cheap. It's like someone looked at the Gargoyles from Dark Souls and said, "What if we just add another one?"

I really dislike the 3+ boss fights and mob packs. It just seems like a cheap way to increase the difficulty but not necessarily increase how engaging and interesting the fight is.

The Pursuer was easier but I really enjoyed the fight a lot more and got that same rush you did. Different preference I suppose.

Anyone willing to give me a hand with these bastard gargoyles?

About to go HAM

Neo Member
Is there a decent article/guide to explain magic? I've beaten DemS and now I'm starting NG+ for DKS2 and I have never used any magic in either game.

I just have no intuitive knowledge of how I would divide my soul levels among the big STR, DEX, VIT, and END with INT and FAITH

I used a soul vessel to respec according to some reddit post which put everything into INT and FAITH and I felt totally weak. I'm thinking whatever I do, it'll have to be a gradual change rather than a complete 180 to fully learn these new mechanics.

elfinke

The Souls games have always been deceivingly large until you know how to run through it. I remember it first dawning on me when I saw a DS1 speedrun where the first 2 bells were rung in under 12 minutes had me flabbergasted. On the flip side, it is deep enough to sink 50+ hours in exploring every nook and cranny.

Holyshit.gif

I've got a bunch of DS1 and 2 speed runs in my bookmarks folder to watch on a rainy day... Might have to skip Mad Men tonight and watch one of them instead.

PvP in this game is broken. Got invaded twice during Looking Glass Knight, both players used spin to win halberds, got killed from literally 15 feet away. Unbelievable.

PS3? I once got hit from the top of the sloping roof in Belfry Sol by a player who was basically on the ground level.

Platinumed the game last night and immediately put it on my shelf far away from my PS3. I'm not going to bother with PvP when it's that busted.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

DarkSoulsII_2014_04_29_00_50_30_553 by vincentric, on Flickr

After (TF2 fix applied):
DarkSoulsII_2014_04_29_00_48_53_752 by vincentric, on Flickr

Inspector settings:

Thanks for this, pity I already have 100 hours in the bloody game with those stupid lines.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What the hell, white soap stone down for like twenty min outside lost sinner and no one is biting! What's going on with the fish tonight!

I wonder if its my SL 117

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What the hell, white soap stone down for like twenty min outside lost sinner and no one is biting! What's going on with the fish tonight!

I wonder if its my SL 117

Soul level doesn't matter. Matchmaking uses soul memory. And if you're already at 117, then that means you must've gotten a lot of souls, and therefore way above the range for Lost Sinner.

John Harker

Soul level doesn't matter. Matchmaking uses soul memory. And if you're already at 117, then that means you must've gotten a lot of souls, and therefore way above the range for Lost Sinner.

Lame. Yea I suck. I'm pretty slow, so I'm SL 117, 60 hours in and just attmtping lost dinner now... Though its the lass of the primals for me

Levyne

Banned
Lame. Yea I suck. I'm pretty slow, so I'm SL 117, 60 hours in and just attmtping lost dinner now...

I'm cracking up, haha

Sorry, my imagination is just going wild with that mental image of a plate of food getting up and hiding in the dark
3AQmK.gif

John Harker

I'm cracking up, haha

Sorry, my imagination is just going wild with that mental image of a plate of food getting up and hiding in the dark
3AQmK.gif

Haha, stupid digital keyboard.

Though, the search for a lost dinner might have been harder than the lost sinner... Just fought her anyway, was pretty easy at this level.

Is she suppose to be
the hero from the last game or something? The guide indicates she was punished for attempting to put out the first flame and has the soul of Izalith on her

Lost dinner was a plate of food that attempted to rekindle the oven itself. But was caught and is now in the freezer.

Though, the search for a lost dinner might have been harder than the lost sinner... Just fought her anyway, was pretty easy at this level.

Is she suppose to be
the hero from the last game or something? The guide indicates she was punished for attempting to put out the first flame and has the soul of Izalith on her
No. She's not.

Toxi

Banned

Is she suppose to be
Main fan theory I've seen
is that she's Quelana or the bug that crawls into her eye is Quelana. Mostly because the bug looks like the Witch of Izalith's bug form. After what happened to Izalith, Quelana also seems like someone who wouldn't really be comfortable about the first flame.

Gibbo

I'm really not enjoying this game at all : ( I'm at level 26, have the best equiptment (ie most expensive at this point), but I'm getting trashed by the forest giant and dragon rider.

DinHerio

Banned
Finally beat the Ancient Dragon. Funny thing... after days of death and tears, I got back to Vendrick and killed him on the first try without getting hit.

The feel of improved skills.

Some say these two bosses are cheap. I don't think so. Ancient Dragon is a mass destruction asshole BUT once you know his patterns, every attack can be avoided. I mean... it's a huge dragon, mkay?

And Vendrick isn't cheap at all. If you're good, you can kill him without even rolling. Furthermore, his attacks are slow and predictable.

Ornstein and Smough were way harder and so called "cheaper" (Two unforgiving bosses!? How cheap!) if you ask me.

Finally in NG+. I missed some things and didn't kill the NPCs, but after I beat Vendrick I just wanted to move on.

7 achievements to go.

Toxi

Banned
I'm really not enjoying this game at all : ( I'm at level 26, have the best equiptment (ie most expensive at this point), but I'm getting trashed by the forest giant and dragon rider.
Make sure you're "fast rolling" and not dropping like a sack of potatoes. You fast roll under 70% equipment load. Levels don't really matter much, it's more about just getting used to the controls and enemy patterns. It's possible to beat the game at level 1, and it's also possible to have trouble even at really high levels with amazing gear.

You can upgrade your weapon to deal more damage with Titanite Shards. Make sure you buy the Blacksmith Key from the old lady merchant and unlock the entrance to the smithery.

For the Last Giant: Stay behind and close to the feet. Bait foot stomps and whittle him down. Watch out for sweeping attacks, they go behind a bit. Don't get greedy except when he reaches the health point where he rips off the arm (Because then he's just free).

For the Dragonrider: Block and circle strafe up close. Don't keep your shield up when you're not blocking so your stamina recharges faster. Buy a decent shield from the armorer and this fight becomes a cinch. You can also easily roll right through the Dragonrider's attacks once you get better at using those invincibility frames, but I'd just recommend blocking and circle strafing.

Levyne

Banned
If all else fails, summon someone!

If you need to regain humanity, allow yourself to be summoned!

It really is a lot of fun in co-op, even if it does eliminate the challenge.

And Vendrick isn't cheap at all. If you're good, you can kill him without even rolling. Furthermore, his attacks are slow and predictable.
I didn't even know he was a boss until a health bar popped up all of a sudden after me hitting him 50 times. I haven't dared go back since I was only doing about ~14 damage per hit. I foresee a challenge, at least.

Orcastar

If all else fails, summon someone!

If you need to regain humanity, allow yourself to be summoned!

It really is a lot of fun in co-op, even if it does eliminate the challenge.

This. I'm 36 hours in and haven't used a single human effigy so far. I think I have like 40 of them by now.

Just beat the Old Iron King. Man, that felt good! He honestly wasn't that hard, but for some reason I kept dying when I was two or three hits away from finishing him off. I wasn't even being greedy, I just kept either getting bad luck or making a dumb roll or something.

I know a lot of people are lukewarm about the bosses in this game, but I've actually really enjoyed a lot of them so far. I haven't encountered any as memorable as O&S, Manus, or Artorias, but I also haven't fought any that were as broken or cheap as Capra Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede Demon, or Bed of Chaos. (But then again, I think I still have quite a bit of the game to go, so maybe I'll encounter some bad ones.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom