• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use this against a hacker, ok. If you use it on a player who's only sin is being cheesy/cheap, you're the douche.

I remember the first time I used sunlight spear in belltower PVP and killed someone I got a profanity laden message from the guy who died. He called me a "Ganking hacker piece of shit" or something like that and also told me to go fuck myself (PS3 ver).

If you use this against a hacker, ok. If you use it on a player who's only sin is being cheesy/cheap, you're the douche.

Yeah, but from now on, I don't care. If you stab in the face while I'm bowing to you, you don't deserve any better. It's that simple.

PvP should be about fun. If you want to ruin it, sure, let's ruin it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, but from now on, I don't care. If you stab in the face while I'm bowing to you, you don't deserve any better. It's that simple.

You know you can cancel the animation by rolling.. right?

I have beaten the game 2 or 3 days ago and I was a kinght using

-Broadsword +10 infuse with raw stone for extra damage( plus a backup broadsword infused with fire)

-Pyromancy

-Bow (one I got by trading a boss' s soul with Straid)

Tower shield and heavy armor.

im gonna try NG+ but I dont know how different I could play because that setup worked quite well.

I mostly invested in endurance (to make sure I was under 70% equip load) strength and vigor.

Any suggestions as what to try next with the same build? If I wanted to use offensive magic, in what should I invest it?

Mistel

Banned
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Last question, can I buy these somewhere or do I have to find them (if so, where)?
Alonee greatbow is dropped iron keep by Alonee Captains and the odd knight or two. The longbow can be brought from McDuff.
It is a parry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6pCb49zhRY
(only video I could find, it's with a Zwei)

But it's so slow. I can't pull that off in PVP. I go for guard break ripostes usually instead.
I've done it once or twice but I do not care for it much the critical attack is nice though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Small soapstone gives you a Smooth and Silky Stone when your duty is fulfilled.

The big difference between the two is that the SWSS has a much larger SM -range than the regular one, which is offset by the limited time you can be summoned with it.
WHAT. Wish I'd know that earlier, I barely ever use the small but it sounds like that's the WAY better choice for just-outside-boss-door pre-game warmups.

WHAT. Wish I'd know that earlier, I barely ever use the small but it sounds like that's the WAY better choice for just-outside-boss-door pre-game warmups.

Once you hit rank 3 in Sunbro, there isn't much reason to use the large again. Just farm smooth and silky's or turn human.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

So you see yourself as a punisher of misdeeds, while engaging in worse transgressions yourself. That usually makes you the villain.

la_briola

Try rolling next time. Honor has no place in real fights. I do bow, but don't expect the same from my opponent.

The best fights are 1 vs 3 and if they bow there... I try to use it to my advantage.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Cale can only see Pate's face though so who is he talking about?

That's not ruining the fun though is it? Why wait for you when I could strike first and stun lock you to death?

Creighton clearly wasn't wearing his helmet at the time. I bet those things get real stuffy and sweaty after a bout of vigorous murdering.

Pate: gave you the white soapstone, and helped you with the last giant.

Creighton: ??? did nothing

#TeamPate

Right, and gives you his armor set, spear (?), and ring later on if you summoned him. Not to mention the helpful advice.

Mistel

Banned
Creighton: ??? did nothing
Gives you his armor after you aid him in some jolly co-operation...
Creighton clearly wasn't wearing his helmet at the time. I bet those things get real stuffy and sweaty after a bout of vigorous murdering.
We can only speculate what Cale saw but one has a visible face the other does not. Pate's equipment is also stolen according to the item descriptions.

HoosTrax

What do you guys think about ultra greatswords in PVE (well the various weapon classes in general actually)?

I'm not sure I see the point in most situations. I mean, I have both the BK GS and BK UGS, both at +5 and both fire-infused (both have innate fire damage as well), and I'm pretty sure the regular GS has better overall DPS due to the faster swings.

In situations where I get surrounded (like the annoying exploding mummies), I find the regular GS to have better utility, as the faster swings are able to keep enemies at bay with less risk of getting stunned while I'm in the middle of a swing.

One case that comes to mind where I would go with the UGS instead is against Lion Warriors, where the UGS would have a better chance of one-hitting them on a backstab. With most other enemies, I can attack them head-on by waiting for them to drop their guard and swinging the regular GS at them before they can get their attacks off (sometimes with the Rock Ring equipped).

Sullichin

You're literally going to start using a trainer because you're too upset that someone attacked you while bowing?

Hint: don't bow. Most people won't return the favor. It's imagined etiquette.

Last night someone with a resonant weapon buff SaS duel bowed me. I started bowing back and got a faceful of avelyn and then he promptly santier spear twirled me to death. I laughed my ass off. What a piece of shit. Good times.

Mistel

Banned
What do you guys think about ultra greatswords in PVE (well the various weapon classes in general actually)?
Myself I think they are great fun and very effective at their jobs both in PvE and PvP. I use a Zwei, Pursuer or a kings ultra greatsword myself.

HoosTrax

So reading that description right, if you knock the embedded chunk of rock off the spear, it stays that way permanently?

Also, that wiki description suggests beaning the crows with it to expedite the process of breaking the rock off. I've never seen the crows in person, just hear their voices.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Gives you his armor after you aid him in some jolly co-operation...

We can only speculate what Cale saw but one has a visible face the other does not. Pate's equipment is also stolen according to the item descriptions.

Pretty sure a lot of my equipment is stolen too, but don't tell anyone. I won't hold that against him.

Pate gives you his gear in hopes that Creighton mistakes you for him.

That's an interesting theory, though he only gives it on the condition that you've summoned him. He also tells you that someone is out for his life. He would be better off keeping that information to himself if he really wanted to trick the player like that.

So if someone stabs you in the face while your bowing, your solution is to cheat? Solid rational

I havn't seen anyone bow, and nor would I bow to someone else outside of arranged 'fight clubs'. You invaded my world (or I invaded yours)...let's do this.

I use them exclusively. They may be staggeringly slow, but most guys can be taken down/staggered in two hits. Only time I switch is in close quarters (because fuck walls). I use them in both PvE and PvP. It really makes you time your attacks better.

Right now I'm at about 500 ATK and it isn't even my final form.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I need a bro with around lvl 150ish / SL 2million-ish to help me with something :(

Mistel

Banned
That's an interesting theory, though he only gives it on the condition that you've summoned him. He also tells you that someone is out for his life. He would be better off keeping that information to himself if he really wanted to trick the player like that.
Both do state that Pate is running Creighton is out for revenge for besmirching his honor as a knight. It's more of a case of who you believe with the evidence provided.
I see. I should give it a "whirl". I went to the trouble of farming almost every item in the game and I still haven't tried a lot of them; I bet there are a lot of little nuances like this that I'm not aware of.
Once broken it has a moveset of a twin blade combined with a halberd and is lighter also.

R1CHO

Man, some people really have zero patience. I was trying to help with smelter demon, and got 4 or 5 sunmedals, but more than that were deaths of the host... lots in the last second, kind of frustrating.

Example:

ScaryEmbarrassedIberianbarbel.gif

Why? :|

I need a bro with around lvl 150ish / SL 2million-ish to help me with something :(

Too high and too low for my characters :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man, some people really have zero patience. I was trying to help with smelter demon, and got 4 or 5 sunmedals, but more than that were deaths of the host... lots in the last second, kind of frustrating.

Too high and too low for my characters :(

im never transfering that warlock mask am I :(

Grief.exe

Example:

ScaryEmbarrassedIberianbarbel.gif

Why? :|

Throw on the red eye ring, force him to focus on you.

Sullichin

I love cooping Smelter but it's insane how many people people just get blasted by his AOE because they keep attacking. Don't you see your 2 phantom bros backing away?

R1CHO

Throw on the red eye ring, force him to focus on you.

I think that for Smelter, that's probably not the best idea, because with red eye and all, his swings are pretty wide and can get the host anyway.

At least for a caster like me in this case, I should focus on the damage, and the host on running arround. Other god idea would be to summon Lucatiel, so Smelter will focus on her, that or just block and heal when he stops to get more fire power. In any case it's less than a minute with my character right now, and yet less than 50% of the host can survive that.

Mistel

Banned
I think that for Smelter, that's probably not the best idea, because with red eye and all, his swings are pretty wide and can get the host anyway.
Looking at the gif it looks like they got caught by a iffy hitbox on the smelter as it looks like the rolled out of the way to me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
To me it looks like he is fat rolling, so he tried to fat roll and stood up right as the sword slammed into him. Dumb host.

Some people would never get through this game without summoning...

Rhaknar

To me it looks like he is fat rolling, so he tried to fat roll and stood up right as the sword slammed into him. Dumb host.

Some people would never get through this game without summoning...

yeah those dirty casuals, fuck them, they shouldnt even be allowed to play the game really, only real hardcore gamerZ should

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
?

The host made a silly mistake in that fight, so I understand why R1CHO was frustrated. That doesn't make him a filthy casual nor should the game only be for "real hardcore gamerZ". Everyone is entitled to play the way they like within the rules of the game. Not sure where this anger is coming from. Relax, enjoy your game.

R1CHO

Yeah, I have probably died in much more stupid ways to be honest, it's only that the timing on that death was kind of comical.

Check another one:

MeagerDiligentLacewing.gif

What a fucking asshole can the Smelter be, sooooooo vicious. Almost breaks the wall LOL Lucatiel is like NOPE!

Last one:

GreedyPoliticalGoshawk.gif

He is attacking Lucatiel, decides to turn like a fucking peg-top and BOOM!

Stupid deaths at the last second are my thing.

I must have fought the Pursuer about 20 times. At least half of them I had him less than quarter health and would do stupid things like trying to flask RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM just after he finished a short cooldown swing or rolling backwards right off the cliff or try to get a third combo hit in with my last bit of stamina when I've been doing two hits the entire fight. It's like when I see the health get that low it's time to turn off the brain and start mashing buttons.

We just get nervous :(

garath

Stupid deaths at the last second are my thing.

I must have fought the Pursuer about 20 times. At least half of them I had him less than quarter health and would do stupid things like trying to flask RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM just after he finished a short cooldown swing or rolling backwards right off the cliff or try to get a third combo hit in with my last bit of stamina when I've been doing two hits the entire fight. It's like when I see the health get that low it's time to turn off the brain and start mashing buttons.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah, I have probably died in much more stupid ways to be honest, it's only that the timing on that death was kind of comical.

Check another one:

MeagerDiligentLacewing.gif

What a fucking asshole can the Smelter be, sooooooo vicious. Almost breaks the wall LOL Lucatiel is like NOPE!

Smelter turned completely the other way, then suddenly decides to an about face lunge right at the host. Wicked evil. I feel like lag may have also played a part there. For my low level builds that can't roll well I simply rush, I just let an NPC tank and throw holy water urns. Smelter can be pretty cruel, was probably the first "hard" boss I remember fighting in my first run through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom