• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Shrine of Winter was kinda dissapointing. Any way to decphier the writing on the walls?

Main fan theory I've seen is that she's
Quelana or the bug that crawls into her eye is Quelana. Mostly because the bug looks like the Witch of Izalith's bug form. After what happened to Izalith, Quelana also seems like someone who wouldn't really be comfortable about the first flame.

Ahh cool. She was the spider sister who also was a covenant right?

wrongway

So I finally curbed my alt-itis and was working my way through the Iron Keep, on my way to the main boss. When I was going through that square room with
all the flame jets
, I ran right into
the ironclad blocking the exit
and promptly got squished. "Well that's cheap," I thought.
"There's no room to fight him there with the flame jets to my back, and I don't have the DPS to just mow him down in place."
So I went through it and tried the fight again, only to get
burned to a crisp.
It didn't dawn on me until I was in that room for the third time that I could just
get his attention and let him burn to death instead.

Then I met the O
ld
I
ron
K
ing
and promptly
dodged right into the lava.

Playing this game late when I'm tired is a really great way to feel like a moron. :3

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Finally!. Utilizing a human effigy just before the fog gate paid off, could immediately see a summon sign and wished the cursed one into my game before anyone could invade atop that tower of perpetual annexation.

The ordeal to be the victor of the tower rewarded itself in an unusual way, a key which helped me light the fires of the deepest prison in Bastille.

Killed the Prisoner of Sinner's Rise.

But, I feel sort of..apologetic after peering into the soul;
I didn't know it was a female character who was punishing herself, I didn't even know why she turned hostile and over that I was forced to defeat her. Turning her existence into something which I can hold in the palm of my hand, a volatile soul which could be crushed to consume a portion of my hunger.

May be I would like to preserve her existence by turning the volatile soul into something strong, melding the soul to something to keep it by my side.

Jaeger

I read that post before your edit and I thought at first it was a spoiler for this game (since I still haven't beat it, and I'm not sure what I need to do next). Haha.

Haha, my bad. I'm subscribed to all three Souls OTs, and I got crossed up. You should be fine on spoilers ;).

Toxi

Banned
Ahh cool. She was the spider sister who also was a covenant right?
No, Quelana was the black-cloaked pyromancy teacher who asks you to kill the Bed of Chaos. Out of all the sisters, she's the only one who escaped mutation.

We don't know the real name of the Fair Lady (Aka white-haired spider girl), but it's unlikely she'd be the Lost Sinner since she wasn't really someone to travel.

NBtoaster

Main fan theory I've seen
is that she's Quelana or the bug that crawls into her eye is Quelana. Mostly because the bug looks like the Witch of Izalith's bug form. After what happened to Izalith, Quelana also seems like someone who wouldn't really be comfortable about the first flame.

More likely the bug is simply the Witch of Izalith, Quelana didn't have a great soul (and wasn't a bug!). Shelquoir also says the sinner's sin was trying to light the first flame. And it fits with the other great souls being from new forms of gwyn, nito etc

Videospel

I accidentally killed
weaponsmith Ornifex
and waited patiently for the gravestone to appear. It eventually did and I did pray at it. The NPC appeared as a ghost and gave me two lines. I then travelled to the location it's supposed to move to, but there was nothing there. I came back to the place of the gravestone and it was still there, with an option to "pray" again. What's this bs?

I accidentally killed
weaponsmith Ornifex
and waited patiently for the gravestone to appear. It eventually did and I did pray at it. The NPC appeared as a ghost and gave me two lines. I then travelled to the location it's supposed to move to, but there was nothing there. I came back to the place of the gravestone and it was still there, with an option to "pray" again. What's this bs?
Certain npcs apparently can't be revived if killed. I killed a certain covenant leader because I needed his item drop. He refused to resume duties. So yeah. You'll have to wait for new game plus or start a new character if praying isn't working. Tough luck man.

Videospel

Certain npcs apparently can't be revived if killed. I killed a certain covenant leader because I needed his item drop. He refused to resume duties. So yeah. You'll have to wait for new game plus or start a new character if praying isn't working. Tough luck man.

Lol, are you telling me I paid 11k souls for nothing? I guess I'm ready for NG+ then.

Some pretty cool bosses in the second half of the game, overall this aspect isn't as disappointing as I first thought but still not in the same league as the previous games.

Ruuppa

I don't know what to do with sorcery, but with the others...
Faith: Pump points into it until 50, get the dragon's chime, infuse it with lightning and fully upgrade it. Use lightning spear and great lightning spear against regular enemies, use sunlight spear against bosses. Wear a headpiece that increases your spell use and fth/int (I forgot the name) and wear clear bluestone ring +1 gotten from somewhere in the middle of the fog area in s
haded woods
. Wrath of gods is an excellent invader killer and sunlight blade is a good buff for general weapons. Get Defender's greatsword, infuse it with lightning and fully upgrade it. It has S rank scaling with lightning and can buff itself by 2-handing it and pressing the parry button (LT/L2 on controllers, don't know on keyboard), eliminating the need for sunlight blade. If you have any other weapon you enjoy, you can go with that as well as long as it has at least decent lightning scaling. It's usually a good idea to limit str and dex to the minimum required to carry your preferred weapons and equipment. Vitality and Endurance are up to you.

NOTE: You can attack from extreme distances with the lightning spears by aiming with binoculars. This will allow you to murder most enemies without them even noticing you.

Hex: Increase intelligence and faith up to 30. You can go higher, but expect diminishing returns. Get a sunset staff and a chime of want (endgame weapon) or caitha's chime (way more early), infuse these with dark and upgrade them. Use the clear bluestone ring +1 and the abyss ring (can be gotten early. Is a covenant ring). Get Great Resonant Soul, Dark Storm (boss) and Dark Orb for PvE and while these work great online as well, Dark Fog and Affinity work good for PvP, especially Dark Fog when combined with Bat Staff as it allows for instant poisoning. Dark weapon is a decent weapon buff if you need one. Str, Dex, Vit and End are the same as with miracles.

Both require magic slots, so put some points into attunement and use the highest possible southern ritual band ring you can get. I started out as pure melee, ended up trying miracles and hexes. The latter two are infinitely better in PvE and IMO in PvP as well, although I find that hexes have a clear advantage.

Hexes are immensely powerful in PVP, since their offensive capability is greatly varied. Hell, you can even disable all magic with Profound Still, making fights against casters a walk in a park. Great Resonant Soul wrecks anyone hit by it in PVP, and can be hard to dodge as well.

Miracles are a lot more defensive -oriented, and most don't gain much from stacking Faith. WoG is excellent though, as are GLS and SLS.

Errol

Neo Member
Some pretty cool bosses in the second half of the game, overall this aspect isn't as disappointing as I first thought but still not in the same league as the previous games.

I agree, the game definitely picks up in the second half in terms of bosses but I still feel like the boss fights aren't/weren't hard enough, I never found a point where I 'needed' to use a Human Effigy or Divine Blessing, although I have a bad pretty habit of hoarding items, so my 60 Effigies shouldn't be anything to worry about.

All round, I think the game was decent, a lot of sequels tend to be not as good as their previous game(s), but FromSoftware done a good job in living up to the hype.

Ruuppa

What's the point of dual wielding weapons? It doesn't seem to increase attack speed or anything.

Powerstancing, baby! If you have 150% the required stats for the wielded weapons, and they can be powerstanced, holding the two-hand -button for a moment powerstances you, changing your off-hand moveset to one that swings both weapons at once (or in a combo).

This doubles the poise-damage, damage and guard-break that you do with the weapons, and is brilliant.

Example: You can powerstance Clubs with 18Str/6Dex, and the L2 attack can stagger even bosses then.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Apart from his ominous chuckling, Pate is a pretty cool duder.

fwpx

Powerstancing, baby! If you have 150% the required stats for the wielded weapons, and they can be powerstanced, holding the two-hand -button for a moment powerstances you, changing your off-hand moveset to one that swings both weapons at once (or in a combo).

This doubles the poise-damage, damage and guard-break that you do with the weapons, and is brilliant.

Example: You can powerstance Clubs with 18Str/6Dex, and the L2 attack can stagger even bosses then.

I literally just learned about this yesterday, and my Caestus 1920s gentleman brawler is now an unstoppable ass punching machine.

Ruuppa

I literally just learned about this yesterday, and my Caestus 1920s gentleman brawler is now an unstoppable ass punching machine.

Caestus/Vanquisher's Seal is amazing in PVP. They never see the stunlock coming. Not so hot on some bosses (here's looking at you, Velstadt!) because of dodgy hitboxes.

I've played for 21 hours, I'm level 70 and haven't been invaded yet, is this normal? when I can expect my first invasion? should I use cracked blue orbs instead and hunt the wicked?

Ruuppa

I've played for 21 hours, I'm level 70 and haven't been invaded yet, is this normal? when I can expect my first invasion? should I use cracked blue orbs instead and hunt the wicked?

If you really want invasions, play as a Human all the time. If you still want invasions, do a dozen or so Red Orb invasions. You should be getting plenty of invasions after that.

Vitor711

I strongly disagree. The entire fight to me is a huge bore and just feels cheap. It's like someone looked at the Gargoyles from Dark Souls and said, "What if we just add another one?"

I really dislike the 3+ boss fights and mob packs. It just seems like a cheap way to increase the difficulty but not necessarily increase how engaging and interesting the fight is.

The Pursuer was easier but I really enjoyed the fight a lot more and got that same rush you did. Different preference I suppose.

Anyone willing to give me a hand with these bastard gargoyles?

Except you never have to fight 3 at a time. The spawns for the other gargoyles are based on the overall health pool. If you just damage one, you'll only ever see two.

I thought it was totally cheap as well before I discovered this. Also thought that Amana was cheap until I found out there was a summon sign for an NPC before the second fog gate. And I hated the walk up to
Velstdat
because I hated the enemy spawns. All of these had ways around them/to make them easier. You just had to discover it.

mikeybass

Neo Member
I feel nothing but shame at how long it took me to take down the
Royal Rat Authority
last night.

Two non-stop hours, what felt like 70+ deaths, and a couple of broken controllers later I finally managed it.

Hardest fight so far IMO. Think I've come to rely on LS a little too much for boss battles.

Gbraga

So, Fashion Souls, I need your help.

I'm using the desert sorceress set (finally got the skirt and gloves! :D), but the top is reeeaaaally ugly, it makes my shoulders look huge, bigger boobs is not worth it. What else looks good with the rest of the desert sorceress set? Or at least the gloves, I really like them >_<

R1CHO

Today I finally have my holy shit moment with my second character, the cleric. Up until now I was happy with the lighting spear, but today I got the Great Lighting Spear, pump the faith to 42 (and then to 50) and got my priest's chime to +10... then decided to go to Iron Keep to try the thing.

Holy shit. I guess the enemies there are very week against lighting (makes sense), but still, it was impressive to obliterate everything with no effort, maybe it's because the other character is pure Melee, but it was a fun feeling.

And Old Iron King was the final joke, as he starts far from the Arena, by the moment he arrived was half dead! The entire fight was 31 seconds, and that because I fucked it and eat one hit.

I'm using the desert sorceress set (finally got the skirt and gloves! :D), but the top is reeeaaaally ugly, it makes my shoulders look huge, bigger boobs is not worth it. What else looks good with the rest of the desert sorceress set? Or at least the gloves, I really like them >_<

What about the Lion Warrior chest? It's pretty hot.

Temidien

Neo Member
If all else fails, summon someone!

If you need to regain humanity, allow yourself to be summoned!

It really is a lot of fun in co-op, even if it does eliminate the challenge.

My absolute favorite aspect of this game. If I know a tough boss is coming up (I use a guide, my apologies the hardcore players), I'll learn the boss first with a couple summons then try taking it on solo (or with a summon if I'm not skilled enough).

All this talk of SM and SL concerns me, I'd like to continue playing the game with jolly co-op throughout (
About to take on Sentinels, so have a ways to go
) and the more I hear, the more I'm worried that co-oping so much in the first half of the game will penalize me in the later half (especially when I challenge bosses I need more help on than earlier in).

Really hoping From reworks the SM mechanics, it sounds like there's significant support for making co-op a more viable option for those who enjoy it.

I missed so much stuff in Black Gulch. Got sick of poison and decided to just splint from the first bonfire to the fog gate. Need to go back and get some of the items I missed so I can get
Havel's
set.

Man they really put some time into designing Shaded Woods. I think there are two textures in the whole area. The boss fight was actually pretty easy. Summoned
Tark
and he basically tanked his way through so I could pick her off from the side.

Mistel

Banned

If your going for just the gloves try the black witch robes and black robes for the rest try the red lion warrior cape maybe?

eot

Banned
Except you never have to fight 3 at a time. The spawns for the other gargoyles are based on the overall health pool. If you just damage one, you'll only ever see two.

I thought it was totally cheap as well before I discovered this. Also thought that Amana was cheap until I found out there was a summon sign for an NPC before the second fog gate. And I hated the walk up to
Velstdat
because I hated the enemy spawns. All of these had ways around them/to make them easier. You just had to discover it.

Even if you just damage one there will be three spawned. The third one spawns at 90% overall health which is when the first one is at 50% health.

Zocano

I think the Alva chest piece looks really really good with the rest of the desert sorceress set.

Gbraga

I think the Alva chest piece looks really really good with the rest of the desert sorceress set.

I used the Alva Set with the Deser Sorceress Hood for a long time, but didn't think about using the chest with the rest of the desert sorceress set, I'll give it a shot too.

Mistel

Banned
I used the Alva Set with the Deser Sorceress Hood for a long time, but didn't think about using the chest with the rest of the desert sorceress set, I'll give it a shot too.
Another bonus is the the little cloth bit at the bottom of the alva torso goes nicely with the dress.

elfinke

Anyone spent anytime power stancing Blue Flame swords? I've done some theorycrafting and I like the numbers. Might chuck another soul vessel at them, see how they really go.

Well, here I am, 12 million Soul Memory. Now I should only be able to match up with players at 12 million and up, supposedly all the way to 999,999,999...

Thankfully I'm still finding good fights. It's not entirely Havel mages who spam toxic mist over and over or people who try to spawn backstab.

Mistel

Banned
Anyone spent anytime power stancing Blue Flame swords? I've done some theorycrafting and I like the numbers. Might chuck another soul vessel at them, see how they really go.
They are very nice powerstanced with the dual straightsword moveset. Infuse them with bleed or poison as it ups the intelligence scaling to B's.

maomaoIYP

Yes. It's a very fun PvP build.
edit: Infuse them with faintstones, the boost in magic attack counts as spell casting power.

garath

Making progress on my first playthrough. Beat the Pursuer finally - gave me two entrances to the Bastille. Then started working on the Ruin sentinels. I can see this fight being a serious bitch.
I remember reading about poise damage being valuable for them though and what a difference it made. I was using magic mace in one hand (30 poise damage) and morningstar in the other (30 poise damage) and I was crushing them. One L2 attack and they were stunned. I couldn't quite kill the second one fast enough before the third got there but I will if I throw some enhancements at them. Unfortunately my wife came home and I had to put it away.
Next time I play I'll definitely finish them off.

Still rocking the dual wield fire sword +3 and heide sword +3. I kind of want to play with the greatsword for a bit but I don't want to invest my titanite shards in too many things.

Forkball

GIANT LORD

I cannot beat this guy. Correction, I DID beat him, but I died at the same time and it turns out you get jack for trading lives. I got within a hit of killing him but no dice.

First of all, his sword just goes straight through my block and nearly kills me. I try to stay around his legs, but I cannot see myself through his stupid giant hakama pants. I tried to summon Benhart, but he is either an idiot who tries to fight the other enemies and by the time he gets to GL he's at half health and gets decimated. I also tried to kill the other enemies with Benhart, but they hit like a truck and the fireballs don't help. I'm about to pull my hair out over this.

Ruuppa

GIANT LORD

I cannot beat this guy. Correction, I DID beat him, but I died at the same time and it turns out you get jack for trading lives. I got within a hit of killing him but no dice.

First of all, his sword just goes straight through my block and nearly kills me. I try to stay around his legs, but I cannot see myself through his stupid giant hakama pants. I tried to summon Benhart, but he is either an idiot who tries to fight the other enemies and by the time he gets to GL he's at half health and gets decimated. I also tried to kill the other enemies with Benhart, but they hit like a truck and the fireballs don't help. I'm about to pull my hair out over this.

Poison arrows are your friend. Stay on the raised platform next to him and roll whenever he hits at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom