• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruuppa

Is NG+ actually fun or is it just cheaper with more enemies being thrown at you during bosses or whatever?

Wondering if I should play it or just start a new playthrough and try out a magic focused character.

It's pretty fun, and the extra enemies add surprises to previously safe areas. I really liked
Freja's cameo in Brightstone Cove, took me totally by surprise.

No reason to kill them either, just talk to the one that respecs you and you'll get the 6. Not sure what triggers it but I always go there sometime mid-game and get them.
She gives them to you after you have King's Ring

I've seen the light guys. Dropping BellBros to become a SunBro.

mainly because it takes too damn long to invade someone now

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

I'm a scaling snob

Anything less than A is beneath me and to be considered trash.

I should've known. I'm working on my Pursuer sword, soon I'll be elitist as well.

BadWolf

NG+ throws quite a few curveballs at you, and not just in terms of more enemies being thrown at you during bosses. Plus there is some loot exclusive to NG+

It's pretty fun, and the extra enemies add surprises to previously safe areas. I really liked
Freja's cameo in Brightstone Cove, took me totally by surprise.

Thanks, not sure if I would enjoy that. I'm also not into loot and obtaining the best weapon, equipment etc.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Holy Crap. Used a Human Effigy for the first time last night. This is a weird experience for me...I had no idea there would be so many people online. When I played through Dark Souls (basically January - April of this year) on 360, there is the odd person who you can summon for the odd boss fight (think I only used summons for O&S and Seath), but there are just tons of people playing DS2 and it's crazy how easy it makes the game. I played for 90 minutes straight, through two boss fights, without dying once. It ALMOST makes the game too easy, especially since I bet a lot of these people are on their second or third playthroughs. It's great having help finding the collectibles and what have you, but I feel like I'm just hanging back, firing off some spells, but mostly other people are beating all the bosses for me. Long story short, this game is a cakewalk (so far) with other players summoned.

Yep, the co-op in this game is fantastic fun but it does trivialize some bosses.

Uthred

Agreed. I've gotten through more of the game now, but it still feels Forrest of the Fallen Giants is the best 'designed' level (based on DS standards). It seems like that level alone has about 6 or 7 shortcuts, whereas I don't think I've unlocked that many through all the other areas combined.

If you enjoye all the shortcuts and branchig paths in FotFG Lost Bastille is probably better in that regard, it was really only on my second playthrough that I noticed how interconnected it is

Ruuppa

I see. Will need to bank some consumable souls in advance then.

You actually need 1mil souls on top of what you had when you finished the last playthrough. So if you had 2mil at the end of NG, you'd need 4mil to access Shrine of Winter in NG+, and if you were in NG+ with 5mil, you'd need 8mil in NG++.

Tested this while getting the Exalted Ring. And yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass. You have to run huge stretches of backtracking, and if you die, you have to run it again. Good preparation before starting an Exalted run will make it a lot less painless. Ergo: Grab all of your usable items from the Item Box before starting if you're doing it after completing the game once/a few times.

UrbanRats

Yep, the co-op in this game is fantastic fun but it does trivialize some bosses.

Eh, the enjoyment i get from co-oping is greater, but i understand it's not like that for the majority of the fanbase.

Probably has to do with the fact that i never summoned in the past games, so it's kind of a novelty for me.

Garcia

Oh my god, are these numbers accurate? Do I really need 500 victories as a Blue Sentinel in order to get the last miracle in the game? I'm bailing out, that's insane.
Rank
Requirement
Reward

Initial
Guardian's Seal

50 victories
Spirit Tree Shield, aesthetic blue aura as a Blue phantom

150 victories
Wrath of the Gods, aesthetic neon blue glow as a Blue phantom

500 victories
Bountiful Sunlight

Eh, the enjoyment i get from co-oping is greater, but i understand it's not like that for the majority of the fanbase.

Probably has to do with the fact that i never summoned in the past games, so it's kind of a novelty for me.

That's exactly how I feel.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh my god, are these numbers accurate? Do I really need 500 victories as a Blue Sentinel in order to get the last miracle in the game? I'm bailing out, that's insane.

If you go to new game ++ they just up and sell them to you. Of course then you're then stuck in NG++ which is a ghost town.

Ruuppa

That's exactly how I feel.

Try Brotherhood of Blood: Losing a match actually decreases your Covenant progress, and you need 500 wins to max it.

Yeah..

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yep, loaded back in and still no summon sign.

Fucking LOL. Just realized I had joined the Covenant of Champions, which was not only preventing me from summoning NPCs, but also making shit harder than it needed to be. No wonder I was struggling recently.

I'm the worst.

Grief.exe

If you go to new game ++ they just up and sell them to you. Of course then you're then stuck in NG++ which is a ghost town.

It's just your SM tier that is a ghost town. I still see plenty of summons, invasions, etc in NG++ at SM 8 million, significantly less than those you see when starting on NG though.

One at a time, don't spread your damage between them, and once you get one to its firebreathing -stage (~40% HP left) kill it as soon as possible.
I feel like im not doing enough damage. I end up being chased by 4 of them at a time. Cant seem to get one of them early.

Sinatar

Any tips on how to beat the Luna Belfy boss. They are making me cry.

When you get a gargoyle down to half health it will wake up another, so make sure you focus on killing 1 gargoyle at a time, that way you will mostly be fighting 2 and for short stints 3. If you spread damage out, you're going to get overwhelmed.

Any tips on how to beat the Luna Belfy boss. They are making me cry.

I took the turtle approach with this one. Lock on and keep moving in BIG circles.

When one of them is blocking/obstructing the others and leaves an opening after an attack, whack 'im once or twice and back off.

These openings are much bigger once you have one in the fire-breathing stage. Their ground fire is much easier to dodge than their DS1 counterparts, just run at them and get a few hits in. Air-fire? just back off.

Concentrate on one at a time so that they all don't start trying to roast you at once.

Finally made it to Dragnelic Castle. sure is pretty to look at. So i'm a little confused about the actual plot of the game. Is it ever made clear why were doing what were doing throughout the game...or does it just evolve as you progress? Could someone translate it for me? Thanks!

If you enjoye all the shortcuts and branchig paths in FotFG Lost Bastille is probably better in that regard, it was really only on my second playthrough that I noticed how interconnected it is

I'll give you that, Bastille is pretty good...especially since it has multiple entrances that tie together. Outside that though, slim pickings.

fuck yeah

sunbros are all about love

embrace the grossly incandescent love

Figure I co-op more anyway, should be pretty easy to max out the rank.

Ruuppa

I feel like im not doing enough damage. I end up being chased by 4 of them at a time. Cant seem to get one of them early.

There's no timer in the fight for the other Gargoyles to wake up, so you can take it slow and murder one at a time. Speed it up a bit when your target starts burping fire, since that's the cue for one of their friends to join in the fray.

First chest I don't check for being a mimic, of course it eats me.

There was a wrestling gif I saw that perfectly captured my reaction to the first mimic I came across. can't find it though

That was a good troll though. There were none for such a long time, I figured they weren't in the game this time around. Just like the illusory walls...

z1ggy

Finally made it to Dragnelic Castle. sure is pretty to look at. So i'm a little confused about the actual plot of the game. Is it ever made clear why were doing what were doing throughout the game...or does it just evolve as you progress? Could someone translate it for me? Thanks!

You have a curse and you went to this land to fix it. But then, people tell you about the king and his wife. So, you have to go and kill them.

Don´t want to spoil anything, you will learn a lot about the plot at this point.

Coconut

Banned
What's your experience with other Souls games?

I don't recommend deprived if you are a Souls virgin.

I'm nearly done with the first game and started that as a pyromancer.

I'm just looking to not get my ass handed to me from the start and have some legs to stand on. Right now it seems like knight or adventurer have a leg up at the start.

I started with a deprived and wanted to try a Cleric in this game, focusing on miracles.

Kind of disappointed how most of the miracles and spells are the same as they were in Dark Souls.

But anyway, I get terribly flustered when invaded, as I feel almost useless against invaders.
Right now I'm wearing Saint's Robe leveled up a bit, have the typical arrangement of lightning spells, with a Dark Storm hex for kicks.. Weapon is +10 Lightning Halberd.

Most of my stats are into faith, with enough strength and dexterity to use the halberd and katana weapons.

Problem is, i just get trashed by these invaders, who build themselves to annihilate unsuspecting people like myself.. I want to complain that the game is unfair in this way. That invaders are always going to be ready to quickly trash someone.. but that's my frustration speaking.

What can I do to not be defeated so easily?.. and don't say 'get good'.

Also, is it ever recommended to go over the 70% equipment limit? Tons of great armor, but most of it is too heavy to walk around in under the load limit.

They are weak to Holy Water Urns, so stock up at Targray. Gives you some range options too.
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I was just swinging my bastard sword at yhe closest thing I could reach. Hopefully knock them over tonight.

I hop you are reading this you gargoyle fucks!! When I get home from work, im gonna kick your teeth in.

p.s All you bell tower covenant invader cunts. STOP IT!!!

L.O.R.D

so , people can invade you even if you are in the bonfire ?
great, i went to bonfire and i had to do something for 3 minutes , return as fast as i can do find someone killing me , he killed me
and i was hollow

Sinatar

great, i went to bonfire and i had to do something for 3 minutes , return as fast as i can do find someone killing me , he killed me
and i was hollow

You're lucky it wasn't me.

When I invade someone and find them AFK at a bonfire, I pull out corrosive urns and break all their equipment.

cakely

There was a wrestling gif I saw that perfectly captured my reaction to the first mimic I came across. can't find it though

That was a good troll though. There were none for such a long time, I figured they weren't in the game this time around. Just like the illusory walls...

I found my first one last night. I clicked on a bloodstain and it looked suspiciously like the chest had eaten the guy. Sure enough, that's what had happened.

The mimic was no where near as terrifying as the first one you found in Sen's Fortress guarding the lightning spear. That thing was awful.

Stet

Banned
and i was hollow

You've been invaded?

I haven't been invaded once outside of the PVP areas.

Mistel

Banned
What can I do to not be defeated so easily?
Git gud casul :p. No that's pretty much it you need practice a bit more and get some ranged miracles it's easy mode being a cleric. You can raise your equipment load with vitality and some rings to wear heavier armor.

But until then melee will whip the floor with you and probably quite a lot after too but less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom