• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth the investment, or is it just something that if ignored, you'll still have decent damage output with the pyro flame?

I thought pyromancy was pretty lackluster in this game compared to Dark Souls. Flame swathe only hit for like 500-600 on my 40 int character with a +10 glove. Meanwhile my dark orbs or lightning bolt was hitting for 700 or more and have much more damage and range and they don't have a hit delay.

garath

Is a morning star just as good as a mace? When I was looking for poise damaging items in my inventory I ended up enhancing a magic mace and a morningstar to dual wield. Are there drawbacks compared to a mace or is it just as good as a mace for striking?

TnK

Thanks for the tip all. One of the reasons this boss is too hard is because I only have half my health, as I don't want to waste my human effigies. Is it possible to farm those in any way?
This isn't crushing blacks. Crushing blacks is taking every value in the very low 0-255 range (grays) and changing them to black.

This gets rid of the of white light that is present everywhere in the game, regardless of where you are. Of course, it is most apparent on areas which have no direct lighting and is left in complete darkness.

I can post screenshots to prove this has nothing to do with crushing blacks.

EDIT: Just realized I accidentally had SweetFX turned on with those screenshots, didn't realize as I took them very quickly. SweetFX does make everything in those shots look a lot more 'dynamic' than they should.
Dunno, they look much darker than they should. As long as you enjoy the look, then that's what matters I guess. Also, you are right. The game is meant to look darker than it should (hence why I have the WickfutENB mod), and the placing of the fires makes sense.

Havel

Thanks for the tip all. One of the reasons this boss is too hard is because I only have half my health, as I don't want to waste my human effigies. Is it possible to farm those in any way?

Dunno, they look much darker than they should. As long as you enjoy the look, then that's what matters I guess. Also, you are right. The game is meant to look darker than it should (hence why I have the WickfutENB mod), and the placing of the fires makes sense.

SweetFX makes those shots look too dark and contrasty. It was turned on for some reason in those shots and I didn't realise, even though I don't use SweetFX anymore.

It looks much more natural than that in-game with it turned off.

I've upgraded my blacksteel katana (don't remember how much) and now I found out that is not the best katana in the game :(
From what I've read best katanas are: chaos blade, washing pole, berserker blade.
The first 2 I think I'm never gonna use them due to low durability (20). The berserker blade is a rare drop :(
Do you guys confirm this?

The Washing Pole is the one with the low durability. Chaos Blade has 50.

onionfrog

Chugging estus with 4 adp is soo fucking slow.
Forgot to level that stat on my cleric. Better put some points into it now.

It's pretty outstanding how fast you can make it through the game on subsequent playthroughs. 12 hours in and I'm up to Drangleic Castle.

Cleric is easy mode compared to my original character. (Pure dex build, no magic).

TnK

SweetFX makes those shots look too dark and contrasty. It was turned on for some reason in those shots and I didn't realise, even though I don't use SweetFX anymore.

It looks much more natural than that in-game with it turned off.

I see. You recommend sweetfx then?

I used the same method as in the speedrun video, and the boss is dead. Thanks guys, lol.

BadWolf

Get the Ring of Binding, it will up the health limit to 75% when hollow.

Is a morning star just as good as a mace? When I was looking for poise damaging items in my inventory I ended up enhancing a magic mace and a morningstar to dual wield. Are there drawbacks compared to a mace or is it just as good as a mace for striking?

I think morning star adds bleeding damage and mace stuns.

Ruuppa

You can use a Ring of Life/Soul Protection to prevent Hollowing. That ring prevents you from "dying", breaking and sending you back to the last Bonfire as a human instead. You don't even lose souls, aside from those you use to repair the ring.
I think the earliest you can find one is in Lost Man's Wharf.

It's a useful ring if you have a lot of souls hanging at your previous death and don't want to lose them when running to get them.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Any known bug with Lucatiel's summon in No Man's Wharf? I'm there now, have exhausted her dialog at the bonfire (she's gone from there), am human, but no sign of the summon sign at the location it's supposed to be (near the iron gate shortcut).

Any known bug with Lucatiel's summon in No Man's Wharf? I'm there now, have exhausted her dialog at the bonfire (she's gone from there), am human, but no sign of the summon sign at the location it's supposed to be (near the iron gate shortcut).

Have you tried quitting and reloading? Sometimes that resets things.

TnK

Get the Ring of Binding, it will up the health limit to 75% when hollow.

You get it from the area right next to mujala with the giant armored statue enemies.
How far down the game is that? I just reached the
vs 3 bosses
This is some serious bullshit boss lol. Also, why do the weapons break so easily? I REALLY hate this one thing they implemented. Let me keep my weapons!
You can use a Ring of Life/Soul Protection to prevent Hollowing. That ring prevents you from "dying", breaking and sending you back to the last Bonfire as a human instead. You don't even lose souls, aside from those you use to repair the ring.
I think the earliest you can find one is in Lost Man's Wharf.
It's a useful ring if you have a lot of souls hanging at your previous death and don't want to lose them when running to get them.

I have no idea where that area is lol

BadWolf

How far down the game is that? I just reached the
vs 3 bosses

You can get to it from Majula when you first get there, its at the
Heide's Tower of Flame.

You can pretty much run through enemies for the most part to get to it if you want.

mdzapeer

3/3 soul games down!

Only 2 optional bosses left in Dark Souls 2.

Thinking about respeccing, any good site with OP builds ranged/melee hybrid?

TnK

You can get to it from Majula when you first get there, its at the
Heide's Tower of Flame.

You can pretty much run through enemies for the most part to get to it if you want.

Assuming I reached the bonefire in Majula, where do I go next?

EDIT: NVM, I will try to find it myself. Currently trying to beat the sentinel boss. Tips on that?

Denton

I finished Dark Souls several days ago.
My minireview would be:

Had almost as much fun as with DS1. Difficulty felt the same. Bosses were somewhat lamer, but on the other hand there was no boss I spent 2 hours beating, like Ornstein and Smough in DS1. Multiplayer working perfectly was great fun, compared to first which I played 100% solo. Level design left somewhat to be desired. No man's wharf and Dragon Aerie were amazing locations, but there were many bland ones, and worse, due to knowledge of how the game was supposed to look from preview videos, it felt kinda lame seeing only the downgraded version.
But overall I had fun with it for some 50 hours or so. Not sure if I would be excited about DS3 without some good improvements though. They need to improve the world and level design.

Ruuppa

EDIT: NVM, I will try to find it myself. Currently trying to beat the sentinel boss. Tips on that?

Kill the first one up on the ledge, bait one of the two remaining onto the ledge and fight him there. I've never seen both of the grounded ones jump onto the ledge, so I'm not sure if they do that. If you're down below, try to keep them both in sight at all times and punish their big moves.

BadWolf

Kill the first one up on the ledge, bait one of the two remaining onto the ledge and fight him there. I've never seen both of the grounded ones jump onto the ledge, so I'm not sure if they do that. If you're down below, try to keep them both in sight at all times and punish their big moves.

After taking the first one out 1v1 the second one would jump onto the ledge for me and a few seconds later the 3rd. So each time I was forced to go 1v2 versus the remaining two.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just started doing some dragon covenant PvP and I think I might be addicted. I think I'm doing pretty well for a beginner (at PvP, not at Souls games) but I'm annoyed by my ever-decreasing health. I kinda wish that if you summoned someone to fight them it didn't decrease your health max if you lost. Just let people duel with full health, man.

Just started doing some dragon covenant PvP and I think I might be addicted. I think I'm doing pretty well for a beginner (at PvP, not at Souls games) but I'm annoyed by my ever-decreasing health. I kinda wish that if you summoned someone to fight them it didn't decrease your health max if you lost. Just let people duel with full health, man.

If you put down your eye sign, they can summon you and you don't lose anything if you lose....you do not get to pick who you fight of course.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
loooooooool. This is so good.

I've still never used a seed of giants, I just forget about them. The only way to get them is to warp to FOFG after every invasion to pick up the seed? What a pain in the ass.

That's so good.

It would be great to combine that with NG+7

That is goddamn hilarious.

Though I must say it shows off the godawful animation on the Alonne Knights when viewed from that angle.

This is pretty fricking great
Yeah, Krazy999 is a creative dude, he deserves more subs.

I assume you guys have seen these?

Holy Crap. Used a Human Effigy for the first time last night. This is a weird experience for me...I had no idea there would be so many people online. When I played through Dark Souls (basically January - April of this year) on 360, there is the odd person who you can summon for the odd boss fight (think I only used summons for O&S and Seath), but there are just tons of people playing DS2 and it's crazy how easy it makes the game. I played for 90 minutes straight, through two boss fights, without dying once. It ALMOST makes the game too easy, especially since I bet a lot of these people are on their second or third playthroughs. It's great having help finding the collectibles and what have you, but I feel like I'm just hanging back, firing off some spells, but mostly other people are beating all the bosses for me. Long story short, this game is a cakewalk (so far) with other players summoned.

garath

There's a real easy way to take down the sentinels as a melee.

dual wield maces or something with big poise damage. Enhance them to +2 or +3 (I think I did this with a magic mace +3 in main hand and a morningstar +2 in offhand). Use dual wield powerstance. When you enter the room, stay on the ledge and kite around the first sentinel's attack then L2 him. It's a triple attack that will immediately stun him. L2 him right as he is about to come out of the stun and keep going. He'll stay stunlocked until dead. Stay on the ledge and wait for the second one to come up. Avoid the jump attack as he gets on the ledge and do the same thing. Continue to stunlock until dead. With +3 and +2 maces you will be able to kill him before the third shows up. Repeat for the third.

One of them will jump on the ledge, and you can get a few hits in before the other one jumps up. Once both are on the ledge you have to jump off or die. On the ground, like with most 2 on 1 fights, you have to try and bait them into both attacking at the same time, and then attack. I like to keep the fight close because they tend to do the spinning attack if you get too far away.

Ghost23

I think I made a mistake with how many points I've put into STR if I am going to do a fire zweihander build. I should have evenly distributed STR and DEX I think.

Vitor711

Block. If you have a 100% physical damage resist shield, you'll be fine.

You can kill the first sentinel on the ledge, then just jump down. Keep your shield up as much as you can, except for when you need to regain stamina. Their hits aren't enough to take away all your stamina and stagger you. Just make sure to only attack once for a heavy weapon or twice with a fast weapon before blocking again.

Just rinse and repeat. As long as one doesn't get behind you, you'll be fine. Just don't get yourself into a corner either.

Their attacks are hugely telegraphed and shouldn't break your block if you have decent poise. Just raise your shield after every hit and you'll be fine.

Sullichin

The Zwei has garbage scaling even on hr regular upgrade path, even worse with fire.

It's a little better if you lean toward STR rather than splitting STR/DEX evenly because of how bad dex scaling is.

It's still a really good weapon because of its moveset though. What other UGS have those horizontal slashes? I know Smelter's Sword does, and King's UGS *kind of* has it but doesn't seem like it's at as wide of an angle and the startup swing is really slow. But there's still some UGSs I haven't tried (Pursuers), if it has the horizontal sweeps I'd definitely try that out.

Grief.exe

It's a little better if you lean toward STR rather than splitting STR/DEX evenly because of how bad dex scaling is.

It's still a really good weapon because of its moveset though. What other UGS have those horizontal slashes? I know Smelter's Sword does, and King's UGS *kind of* has it but doesn't seem like it's at as wide of an angle and the startup swing is really slow. But there's still some UGSs I haven't tried (Pursuers), if it has the horizontal sweeps I'd definitely try that out.

Pursuer's has the vertical R1s.

Easiest way is to just drop your soulstone and help someone out. You'll regain human form that way and won't burn an effigey.

Oh shit! Drangleic isn't future Anor Londo it's future EARTH! Dark Souls is a post-apocalyptic universe!

Dark Souls 2 is really Fallout 4 confirmed

The Zwei has garbage scaling even on hr regular upgrade path, even worse with fire.

It has B scaling when fully leveled. Not the best, but certainly not garbage if you pump STR. Fire would be a no-no though, keep that shit Normal. I thought about making mine Raw, but that just nukes the scaling all together.

Sullichin

Not sure how anyone falls for the white ring thing. And it doesn't change a summon sign to white. If it did, I'm sure half of the white soapstones down would actually be people trolling with that.

Grief.exe

It has B scaling when fully leveled. Not the best, but certainly not garbage if you pump STR. Fire would be a no-no though, keep that shit Normal. I thought about making mine Raw, but that just nukes the scaling all together.

I'm a scaling snob

Anything less than A is beneath me and to be considered trash.

HoosTrax

Not sure how anyone falls for the white ring thing. And it doesn't change a summon sign to white. If it did, I'm sure half of the white soapstones down would actually be people trolling with that.
I thought the point of the white ring is to confuse invaders (assuming you have non-SunBro summons with you), not to confuse summoners.

z1ggy

Dogs in the Lost Bastille drops them. Or you could
kill the old red firekeepers at the beginning, they drop 6 human effigies.

BadWolf

Is NG+ actually fun or is it just cheaper with more enemies being thrown at you during bosses or whatever?

Wondering if I should play it or just start a new playthrough and try out a magic focused character.

HoosTrax

On an unrelated note, anyone have any thoughts as far as obtaining the Illusory Rings?

The Conquerer Ring seems a bit ridiculous, and I just know that I would find a way to die in the stupidest way and fail it.

The Exalted Ring doesn't sound like it should be too hard to get, just potential tedious depending on how careless you are. Since I would be doing it on NG+3, I should be able to skip right to Drangleic, right? Or do you need to get 2 million SM on each playthrough, and not 2 million SM total across all playthroughs?

Is NG+ actually fun or is it just cheaper with more enemies being thrown at you during bosses or whatever?

Wondering if I should play it or just start a new playthrough and try out a magic focused character.
NG+ throws quite a few curveballs at you, and not just in terms of more enemies being thrown at you during bosses. Plus there is some loot exclusive to NG+

Sullichin

Those stingy bitches only give you one at the beginning.

No reason to kill them either, just talk to the one that respecs you and you'll get the 6. Not sure what triggers it but I always go there sometime mid-game and get them.

On an unrelated note, anyone have any thoughts as far as obtaining the Illusory Rings?

The Conquerer Ring seems a bit ridiculous, and I just know that I would find a way to die in the stupidest way and fail it.

The Exalted Ring doesn't sound like it should be too hard to get, just potential tedious depending on how careless you are. Since I would be doing it on NG+3, I should be able to skip right to Drangleic, right? Or do you need to get 2 million SM on each playthrough, and not 2 million SM total across all playthroughs?
You need a million SM per playthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom