• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

I'm ready for this. Can't wait til tomorrow!

Which headphones are those? And nice choice in keyboard! Which switches did you go with?

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS. Unfortunately I have about 20 pages of essay writing to finish tonight before I can hibernate 'til 6pm EST tomorrow.

Garcia

t1398376800z1.png

Still closed.... Still closed! Mmhmm....

Those are a fantastic choice of headphones.

Thank you! Its only natural to get these after seeing the ultra pro Jeff Green in action.

Which headphones are those? And nice choice in keyboard! Which switches did you go with?

They're Koss Portapros, made famous by Jeff Green's Dark Souls stream. I went with brown switches for the keyboard, though I'll probably be using a DS4 instead of M+K unless it's a significant step up from last time.

nbthedude

Thank you! Its only natural to get these after seeing the ultra pro Jeff Green in action.

They're Koss Portapros, made famous by Jeff Green's Dark Souls stream. I went with brown switches for the keyboard, though I'll probably be using a DS4 instead of M+K unless it's a significant step up from last time.

I bought them on Jeff's recommendation but I have to say I wasn't impressed with them. I mainly use them to listen to gaming podcasts on my shield and they are sometimes too quite for this purpose. But the main problem I have with them is that they pull my hair constantly and I even have a pretty short haircut. They also broke after about a month of use when I was taking them off. At $40-$50 they are pretty expensive too for a cheap tier set of headphones.

finalflame

I bought them on Jeff's recommendation but I have to say I wasn't impressed with them. I mainly use them to listen to gaming podcasts on my shield and they are sometimes too quite for this purpose. But the main problem I have with them is that they pull my hair constantly and I even have a pretty short haircut. They also broke after about a month of use when I was taking them off. At $40-$50 they are pretty expensive too for a cheap tier set of headphones.

They look pretty uncomfortable/cheap to me, coming from GameCom 780s, so yah I was wondering the same.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member

In my opinion the Portapros are a fantastic replacement for earbuds when travelling, I personally use AKG K240's that I got for about $100 bucks and after a year and a half nothing has happened to them despite continuous use, they also come with a removable cable so you if you break that you can just get a new one without replacing the entire thing. I can't recommend them enough for gaming which is why I'm so excited to wear them playing DS2.

nbthedude

They look pretty uncomfortable/cheap to me, coming from GameCom 780s, so yah I was wondering the same.

Definitely a step down from those.

For gaming I was using a pair of Tritton Pros that I liked quite a bit but they eventually broke due to years of abuse (dropping them). I replaced them with a pair of the new revision of the Sony Pulse and that was also a bad decision. Those might be the worst headphones I've ever owned, definitely worse than the Portapros. Extremely tight and uncomfortable, no controls on a breakaway, awkward adjustment button placements, they freeze up randomly and won't work until they drain of juice, etc. etc.

I really wish I had went with the Corsair Vengeance 2100s which were the other pair I was looking at due to their good reviews.

nbthedude

Got it. I run pretty slow so I didn't want to risk it. Gwyn is destroying me. Blocking isn't very effective. He destroys my stamina meter so damn fast haha

Parry is your best friend.

It also works amazingly well to use a potion as soon as he knocks you down and then immediately parry. The timing is such that the parry will happen usually just as he attacks.

An-Det

Really glad I've been catching up reading this thread, I hadn't thought to look at my library at gmg and had just been impatiently waiting for the email with my code. Now I'm fully preloaded, work tomorrow is going to suck since it unlocks right when I'd usually get home. So close now. Glad I did DS1 a few months in advance of this release, having that time to recharge has me pumped.

elfinke

Oh wow it'll be 8 a.m for Melbourne, not 9 a.m like I thought... early night tonight for me I guess.

Yeah, mighty happy about that. Was gonna go play another round of golf tomorrow, but if DSII drops after breakfast, well... that'll be the end of all and any productivity through to the weekend!

sikkinixx

Got it. I run pretty slow so I didn't want to risk it. Gwyn is destroying me. Blocking isn't very effective. He destroys my stamina meter so damn fast haha

Bring Solaire if you saved him, makes the battle insanely easy.

Parry his opening jumping attack with a good weapon and you will take off almost a quarter of his health. I found flash sweat helped too.

DS1 its <25% fast roll, <50% med roll, >=50% fat roll I believe. If you want to do ninja flips you also need to be under 25%.

Yep, that's right for DS1.

For DS2 you'll fast roll at 70% and under, but I think you gain roll distance, not speed, when you go to 50% and 25% or 30%.

inyue

Banned
Does someone knows if I can activate these cd keys in Japan?

In this time the game will be released in Japan (DS1 I needed to buy a key + VPN), but it is "separated" from the global store.

The "Japan only" release includes japanese subs and... No pre order bonus... lol...

I don't care about these bonus but they're charging $80 for it...$80!!!!!!!

FROM FUCK YOU.

Went out and picked up a DS4 tonight, have DS4 Tool installed and I am ready to go for tomorrow.

I'm paranoid that my DS4 will communicate with my PS4 while I'm playing and inadvertently purchase something. There was a thread on this a few months back when someone did just that while playing on their PS3. I'll stick with my 360 Wireless controller for Windows. It works well enough.

Can't wait to get into this again after beating it on PS3 multiple times. I'm hoping the PvP community will be incredibly active and it'll be smooth as hell. Gonna be awesome.

Went out and picked up a DS4 tonight, have DS4 Tool installed and I am ready to go for tomorrow.

Where is this DS4 Tool? I need it for tomorrow as well..I'llbe damned to use my 360 pad.

Havel

I'm paranoid that my DS4 will communicate with my PS4 while I'm playing and inadvertently purchase something. There was a thread on this a few months back when someone did just that while playing on their PS3. I'll stick with my 360 Wireless controller for Windows. It works well enough.

Lol, just unplug your PS4. Takes 1 second.

Grief.exe

Really no reason to own a PS4 right now until it gets some compelling games. I plan on picking one up in a year or so.

Get the touchpad set up for mouse control? Makes the couch comfier.

One of the reasons I purchased the DS4, along with my 360 controller on its last legs, but I don't have an HTPC set up as of yet.

Where is this DS4 Tool? I need it for tomorrow as well..I'llbe damned to use my 360 pad.

DS4 Tool 1.3 http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=49453

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
One of the reasons I purchased the DS4, along with my 360 controller on its last legs, but I don't have an HTPC set up as of yet.
It's a nice feature, although I'm not sure if it works on a wireless connection. I keep my controller wired, since my desk is in the living room. Right next to the tv, actually. TV on the left, monitor in the middle, vertical 3D monitor on the right. Feels good.

Has Durante made any mention of playing in portrait mode? I'm not sure if it would be practical for playing, but it would be great for the true purpose of PC gaming: screenshots.

Aaand, Amazon has shipped my CE. Looking forward to that sweet, sweet (empty) Black Armour case.

Can somebody confirm for me how the preorder weapons work? From what I understand, they'll be a separate code in the CE. If I don't redeem them, can I still find them somewhere in the game? I had thought I heard that the preorder bonus just gives them to you at the start of the game as opposed to requiring you to find them. If that's the case I just won't redeem them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Aaand, Amazon has shipped my CE. Looking forward to that sweet, sweet (empty) Black Armour case.

Can somebody confirm for me how the preorder weapons work? From what I understand, they'll be a separate code in the CE. If I don't redeem them, can I still find them somewhere in the game? I had thought I heard that the preorder bonus just gives them to you at the start of the game as opposed to requiring you to find them. If that's the case I just won't redeem them.

I can tell you that GMG only gives one key, which presumably includes the pre order stuff (usually with retailers its seperate keys for extra stuff) so maybe the CE code is also 1 for all?

It will be interesting to see how these things evolve as Console's go more and more digital. They are literally sending pretty empty boxes now. You get a physical artbook as well right? Yet Steam comes with a digital version of the same thing. The hulking Statue is the only meaningful thing and I have mine collecting dust in the corner.

I can tell you that GMG only gives one key, which presumably includes the pre order stuff (usually with retailers its seperate keys for extra stuff) so maybe the CE code is also 1 for all?

Hm, I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to see.

It will be interesting to see how these things evolve as Console's go more and more digital. They are literally sending pretty empty boxes now. You get a physical artbook as well right? Yet Steam comes with a digital version of the same thing. The hulking Statue is the only meaningful thing and I have mine collecting dust in the corner.

Yeah, I guess there's the physical artbook and statue and map. Not sure what they're even putting in the Black Armor case. A slip of paper with the code? LOL. The only reason I ended up getting the CE was because I was able to buy it for $45. I'm not really a fan of the look of the statue, so I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Grief.exe

It's a netflix streaming box right now, can't unplug it, the kids or the wifey are using it all the time.

If I end up buying a console, it ends up as an expensive dust collector very quickly.

Both the PS4 and XBO really don't have a worthwhile library currently, or for the foreseeable future.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Kalameet was my favorite fight. Went from not even knowing how to scratch him to taking his weapon and having very little damage done on me. Very much a fight you have to learn.

Small little trick I found that helped a fair bit for me:

One trick that I found was that if he does his aerial lunge towards you, if you strafe left he won't hit you and you'll be close enough to get to him and get hits on him, if you strafe right he will just hit you. Yeah, you can roll, but I always found myself too far away after.
Almost every boss in Artorias of the Abyss was absolutely bloody brilliant. Artorias himself is my favorite boss in the series, next to False King Alliant. You have to learn how to fight them and how to avoid or counter they're moveset. Really well done.
And I don't even like bosses in videogames, normally.

Almost every boss in Artorias of the Abyss was absolutely bloody brilliant. Artorias himself is my favorite boss in the series, next to False King Alliant. You have to learn how to fight them and how to avoid or counter they're moveset. Really well done.
And I don't even like bosses in videogames, normally.

When done well, From has some of the best boss fights in all of gaming, but they can be a bit inconsistent because when done poorly, they are downright awful. Artorias of the Abyss was indeed fantastic and one of the best DLC's ever. The hyper aggressive bosses seem to be From's forte, adding 4 excellent bosses to really bolster the 2nd half of the game.

I hope From is hard at work on DS3 for current gen/PC only, but if they were to put out a DLC expansion on the level of AotA for DS2, I don't think anyone would complain.

impact

Banned
When done well, From has some of the best boss fights in all of gaming, but they can be a bit inconsistent because when done poorly, they are downright awful. Artorias of the Abyss was indeed fantastic and one of the best DLC's ever. The hyper aggressive bosses seem to be From's forte, adding 4 excellent bosses to really bolster the 2nd half of the game.

I hope From is hard at work on DS3 for current gen/PC only, but if they were to put out a DLC expansion on the level of AotA for DS2, I don't think anyone would complain.

Agreed. Souls bosses usually don't have a middle ground. They're either terrible (or just dull as fuck, hello half of Demons) or brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom