• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I played Prepare To Die Edition I never read guides or whatever.. so I never knew that Kalameet could be fought as a really hard boss without being shot by Gough first. That sucks, since I guess I can only fight him now by restarting my game from scratch with a new character :(. I wanted to tie up some unfinished content before starting DS2, like beating Gwyndolin which I hadn't done before but I don't think I want to replay the whole game..

I'm seriosly struggling with Kalameet. It's resistant to fire and lightning. My pyromancy and lightning weapons do shit to it.

I might just give up on beating it.

finalflame

I'm seriosly struggling with Kalameet. It's resistant to fire and lightning. My pyromancy and lightning weapons do shit to it.

Kalmeet is a hard fight, unless you stack endurance and use a great shield. That's how my build was, and Kalameet went down like a little bitch on the first try.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I already forgot, and I apologize, STR and DEX dimishing returns point was 40 correct? (I dont care about pvp, I think someone said people go to 60 for pvp)

Slow and steady wins the race. Chaos Storm did some damage, though, but make sure you have a decent regular weapon. I used a Silver Knight Spear. Ninja rolling helps, too. The Dragon Crest Shield should be enough.

Once you are able to judge the distance of Kalameet's attacks, you can easily outmaneuver him and avoid his attacks. I tended to loose an arrow or two when I was just out of the range of his breath attacks while still in front of him. It also helps to land your main attacks after he has done the diving attack, exposing his tail. Make sure you don't get cornered on either end of the map and have adequate room to avoid him.

Patience is the most effective weapon, no matter what strategy you use or prefer. After a while, you should be able to dance around Kalameet without worrying about him actually hurting you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxAf1XXvsw

Only takes 8 casts of Great Combustion to basically kill him, you can do it!
I could have cheesed him with Pyromancy? Huh.
Then again, I wanted that tail. Plus, it's more rewarding with melee!

mannerbot

I could have cheesed him with Pyromancy? Huh.
Then again, I wanted that tail. Plus, it's more rewarding with melee!

Yeah, if I go back to Dark Souls at some point I'll probably try a SL1 melee only run. Kalameet should be pretty doable with melee only as I think 2h +10 lightning reinforced club swings will do the same damage as Great Combustion casts w/ full sorc damage stacking. Just adds the element of stamina management to the fight.

Hypron

Yeah, if I go back to Dark Souls at some point I'll probably try a SL1 melee only run. Kalameet should be pretty doable with melee only as I think 2h +10 lightning reinforced club swings will do the same damage as Great Combustion casts w/ full sorc damage stacking. Just adds the element of stamina management to the fight.

Yeah he's not too bad. I used a fully upgraded lightning battle axe and I didn't have much trouble. The fight takes a bit longer than with another melee character but it's still quite similar.

akira28

I beat the fuck out of Kalameet with a +15 Halberd, Eagle Shield, and leather armor, which is pretty good against magic, once leveled up to +8. He never stood a chance. Getting that tail was a real bitch though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this isnt a mmo, classes dont mean much in the souls games, its usually just a case of starting with a wee bit more of a certain stat, and like 1 specific spell (that you can get on any other class from vendors)

I DEDICATE THIS VICTORY ON BASED MANNERBOT

MQFEAR2.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

Now to get some sleep. Gwyn can wait in the morning.

Durante

Yeah, actually, all the Souls games have classless systems, you just have the choice of a starting attribute distribution and equipment set.

Rhaknar

Can the Knight heal in this game?

I am wondering which classes have that option.

there is not 1, but 2 ways to heal in this game for every class, Estus Flasks and the new Life Gems (or whatever they are called), Dark Souls 1 only had estus flasks. You dont need a cleric to heal (although there are also healing spells you can use as a cleric or as any class as long as you have enough faith)

Again, this is not an mmo :)

Rhaknar

Where i can get this for good price, gmg 25% code is not working (I dont live in na).

that code isnt just for NA, make sure you do a backspace at the start of the code so the little button lights up, sometimes its gray when you paste the code in

J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ

edit: Double post sorry :(

impact

Banned
Why? All classes aren't balanced points wise? Some get more points distributed than their soul level would normaly permit?
If you want to respec it only brings you back to your starting class stats. If you want to play a bunch of different builds on one character deprived is your best bet. I picked bandit and wanted to respec to caster but I had a bunch of wasted points that bothered me enough to make a whole new character for it instead of respeccing.

There's really no "wrong" class to start with as they can all be anything once you're a little ways into the game. It was like that in the first two games and it's even better in this one due to the fact that you can respec several times during the game.

Apart from choosing the Deprived class, none of your class choices will bolster you in any huge way. I only just noticed this, but the only class that actually starts with a shield is the Warrior! You'll come across shields soon after you start but for those of you who feel the need to block semi-efficiently from the get-go you can't go wrong with the Warrior.

The other classes get their own bonuses though, Swordsman starts with a +1 weapon, Bandit starts with a bow and arrows, Cleric with a heal miracle, Sorcerer with Soul Arrow, Explorer gets a bunch of nice consumables. The other two are the Knight, who doesn't start with any really unique items but it does start with the highest HP. Then you have the Deprived, who of course starts with literally nothing.

So yeah, don't get caught up in what class to pick at the beginning. You'll be able to shape any of them into whatever you want in no time at all.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Awesome, thanks man. Just dled. All set to go.
I read that as "Just died. All set to go." and thought, "this is very fitting indeed". :D

Also, 10 humanity + Covetous Gold Serpent Ring. BKWs and chunks raining from the heavens for all eternity.
Waste of ring slot, they drop chunks automatically.

Is Cleric a good starting class if I want to do a mix of melee and faith?
It's the best class for that by a long shot.

Saw you got it, but for myself after I ran out of pyros I went crossbow+15 and heavy bolts. Hah.

Zemm

Are you forced to play online with the steam version? Like is there any button that is 'I don't want to connect to the server right now'. I want my first play through to be just me vs dark souls and I don't really want to unplug my computer from the Internet.

Q8D3vil

that code isnt just for NA, make sure you do a backspace at the start of the code so the little button lights up, sometimes its gray when you paste the code in

J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ
still not working
not valid (add voucheris green, tried everything including the removing the space).

erawsd

Are you forced to play online with the steam version? Like is there any button that is 'I don't want to connect to the server right now'. I want my first play through to be just me vs dark souls and I don't really want to unplug my computer from the Internet.

steamoffline.jpg

I'm happy to see that DS2 has a windowed mode option, but does anyone know if it also has native borderless fullscreen? Or failing that, that it at least works with one of the many borderless fullscreen utilities out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom