• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

I guess I won't be able to play until Saturday at this rate. The preload just finished downloading the first 4gb. It took my awesome internet connection 2 days.

holy shit

I downloaded DS2 fully in half an hour. I haven't even got a particuarly good connection:

3459226298.png

need that upgrade on speed, virgin media pls

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ha, talking about elegance while using physical weapons. The peasantry is as adorable as ever I see.

Knights and King's wield swords. Fencing is the past times of the upper echelons. No such peasantry here!

Anyway how big is the fie, not on my computer so can't check.

Dinda

PSA: The game unlocks in Japan in about 40 minutes. You can use a VPN to unlock and play early.

Oh is that true? I thought it had a worldwide simultaneous release because a lot of US folks said it will already unlock on the 24th for them?
Have to check VPN if that's the case!

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
holy shit

I downloaded DS2 fully in half an hour. I haven't even got a particuarly good connection:

3459226298.png

need that upgrade on speed, virgin media pls

3459242123.png

"Sorry, this is the fastest the internet in your area can reach"
- Customer service after me questioning the $150 per month service I'm locked into.

And our PM believes our internet infrastructure is perfectly fine.

Serra

PSA: everyone who uses a strike weapon, magic or ranged weapons is a casul

jokes aside, those are way overpowered in pve

Dinda

PSA: The game unlocks in Japan in about 40 minutes. You can use a VPN to unlock and play early.

Hm that also leads to another question, someone just said that the Japanese versions are region locked, so will our western versions even unlock over a japanese vpn?

Arjen

Thank you, I'll keep my eyes open for that one!

edit: are upgrading items any easier to get hold of this time around? I'd love to experiment with various weapons throughout the game... It'd be great if we could actually undo upgrades and get the titanite back for use on other weapons.

No, other way around, quitte rare :( You want to pick one weapon and stick with it. One of my biggest complaints about the game

3459242123.png

"Sorry, this is the fastest the internet in your area can reach"
- Customer service after me questioning the $150 per month service I'm locked into.

And our PM believes our internet infrastructure is perfectly fine.

3459259566.png

Someone in aussieland has better internet than I do. 'Murica best country in the world. :(

I literally want to punch people in the face that beg for google fiber in places like New York. How god damn fast do you need your internet?

No, other way around, quitte rare :( You want to pick one weapon and stick with it. One of my biggest complaints about the game
Ugh that sucks
I really wish the game would give us the option to "respec" equipment rather than characters.

and holy shit, 40 minutes

Sendero

Sound great, but I won't risk it.. don't think there are many PC Japanese purchasers, so seeing a large influx of people might be suspicious.

Can't play it myself yet, anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hm that also leads to another question, someone just said that the Japanese versions are region locked, so will our western versions even unlock over a japanese vpn?

Game unlock times are app-based, not sub-based, so as long as you have a Japanese IP you'll be able to unlock and play. It's also worth noting that once you've unlocked the game you'll need to either leave the VPN enabled or switch to Offline Mode as running the game while online only to disconnect from the VPN will cause your "In-Game" status to cease and this can bugger up achievement triggers.

Sound great, but I won't risk it.. don't think there are many PC Japanese purchasers, so seeing a large influx of people might be suspicious.

Theoretically using a VPN at all is prohibited but in actuality Valve turns a blind eye to those using one to just unlock a game early or redeem a region-locked key. Myself and many other GAFers have been using a VPN on the odd occasion for these very reasons for years and haven't encountered any trouble. What Valve frowns upon is using one to aid in cross-region purchasing.

yatesl

Jeezo, that works out at £211.44 for a 27" ips, if I was not holding out for g-sync I would be all over this.
I'd get a Korean monitor, but they only work with PCs - no 360/XB1/PS3/PS4/WiiU. Something to be mindful of.

Although at this point, I wonder how often I'll actually use those

AJLma

I'd get a Korean monitor, but they only work with PCs - no 360/XB1/PS3/PS4/WiiU. Something to be mindful of.

360 has been collecting dust since I got mine.

There is no going back.

Dinda

Game unlock times are app-based, not sub-based, so as long as you have a Japanese IP you'll be able to unlock and play. It's also worth noting that once you've unlocked the game you'll need to either leave the VPN enabled or switch to Offline Mode as running the game while online only to disconnect from the VPN will cause your "In-Game" status to cease and this can bugger up achievement triggers.

Thanks! I will do that then.

yay!

JordanKZ

3459259566.png

Someone in aussieland has better internet than I do. 'Murica best country in the world. :(

I literally want to punch people in the face that beg for google fiber in places like New York. How god damn fast do you need your internet?

I'll never understand how some of you in AUS and the US have such bad internet.

I live on an island in the middle of the North Sea with 25,000 people living on it, I have 21Mbit down, 1Mbit up. By the end of the year, I'll have 80Mbit down.

Seriously, what gives.

HoosTrax

I live on an island in the middle of the North Sea with 25,000 people living on it, I have 21Mbit down, 1Mbit up. By the end of the year, I'll have 80Mbit down.

Seriously, what gives.
What's difficult to understand about large land mass and low population density.

Norns

Seriously, what gives.

The internet infrastructure in the US is partially crippled by its size. The rest is greed.

There is zero risk. You will not find a single person who has been banned from Steam or Origin for unlocking games early using this method.

Moff

thank you

I usually play game in steam offline mode after I unlocked them with vpn, but with DS2 being practically an always online game, are there any complications because of that?

Zafir

You can get versions which have an hdmi socket allowing you to use those. The bigger issue is 480p/720p/1080p on a 1440p monitor wouldn't look the best. Well 720p might since its just doubling the pixel count but yeah.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've put together a guide for those unfamiliar with VPN configuration:

- Ensure your pre-load has completed and that you're not logged into Steam anywhere else (additional PCs and mobile devices)
- Download and install the OpenVPN client
- Find a Japanese server from this list, preferably one that has been up for at least 24 hours and offers decent throughput, and click the "OpenVPN Config File" link
- Download the config file and move it to OpenVPN's config folder (C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config by default)
- Open OpenVPN, right-click on its taskbar icon, then click "Connect"*
- Once connected, type "What's My IP" into Google to ensure your IP has changed (it'll be obvious as you'll be rerouted to Google.co.jp); if your IP hasn't changed, try exiting OpenVPN and running it again as an admin (right-click -> Run as administrator)
- Restart Steam, select Dark Souls 2 and click "Play" (you can kill the VPN while Steam decrypts the data and downloads the day one patch if things are rather slow)

Note: Once the game has unlocked, either leave the VPN enabled or, if you'd prefer to disable it, switch Steam to Offline Mode. Disabling the VPN while online will cause your "In-Game" status to revert back to "Online" and this can cause issues with achievement triggers.

* If you see the "netsh command failed: returned error code 1" error when connecting, navigate to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, right-click the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 connection, click "Properties", select "Internet Protocol Version 4" from the list, click "Properties" again and ensure the adapter is set to obtain an IP automatically.

Edit: And in the interest of full disclosure:

Edit: Do note that you may be required to use a VPN to activate a retail key pertaining to the uncensored version of the game. Spotflux is free and US-based. Using a VPN is technically against the SSA but to date there are no verified or reputable reports of Valve taking issue with people using one to just activate a key or unlock a game early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers have used VPNs for these purposes many times over the years and haven't encountered any trouble whatsoever (the most recent example would be Thi4f, which first unlocked in some Asian countries).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom