• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those unlocking the game via VPN:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2939616&page=2

and

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2964594

I recommend you play it safe and wait. It's just a few hours.

They have not and will not do shit about it. You really think they are going to ban a paying customer for unlocking a game early? Of course it's technically against the rules, so they can't say "fuck yeah, go for it!" That could possibly piss some game companies off. But, they don't give a fuck and aren't going to do shit about it. Plenty of us here have been unlocking games early this way for years.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thank you

I usually play game in steam offline mode after I unlocked them with vpn, but with DS2 being practically an always online game, are there any complications because of that?

That's something nobody can answer until the game has unlocked.

To those unlocking the game via VPN:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2939616&page=2

and

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2964594

I recommend you play it safe and wait. It's just a few hours.

I've addressed this already. I can certainly understand why some would prefer to err on the side of caution, but the short version is that there are no verified or reputable reports of people having their accounts restricted (Valve stopped outright banning accounts more than two years ago now) for using a VPN just to unlock a game early or activate a region-locked key.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
I'll never understand how some of you in AUS and the US have such bad internet.

I live on an island in the middle of the North Sea with 25,000 people living on it, I have 21Mbit down, 1Mbit up. By the end of the year, I'll have 80Mbit down.

Seriously, what gives.

FuDrNIb.jpg

It's possible when this is the guy in charge of the nation's internet.

as the game gets closer to release my hype gets larger...should I buy? :eek:

never played a souls game before

Yes. And Prepare to Die. Prepare to feel the frustration of losing prospective gains (that first 50k loss will suck, and the larger ones more, but you get used to them).

crun

Banned
How well does coop work in DS2? I can pretty much finnish the game together with a friend, or just summon him for 5 minutes or something like that?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
After unlocking with the VPN what do I do?
Disable the VPN and play normally ?
Tried another server, worked. :) Btw, do I have to stay on the VPN while playing?
Note: Once the game has unlocked, either leave the VPN enabled or, if you'd prefer to disable it, switch Steam to Offline Mode. Disabling the VPN while online will cause your "In-Game" status to revert back to "Online" and this can cause issues with achievement triggers.

Edit: Well, you can try disabling the VPN while playing online. This was possible in the past but back when Thi4f and South Park released Steam exhibited the behaviour described above.

VPN is working here, but I really should finish studying before I play.

So I can't turn my vpn off and play on my regular isp? Have to play on vpn or offline?

edit: nvm batman answered the question already.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Wait, there is dual-wielding in DS2? (looked like an axe and a sword being dual-wielded)

Why don't I remember that from DS1...

in DS2, there's a special dual-wielding stance that becomes available when you have two of the same type of weapon equipped. So you can dual wield and axe and a sword, but it won't give you the attack power benefit enabled by the special stance. I don't think it works for every single weapon type, but I know there's a chart about it somewhere.

Well unless for whatever reason this tracking info is lying to me, my Collectors Edition is already out for delivery, ie I should have it in my hands soon.
Praise the SSSUUUNNNN!!!

1.5x the strength/dex req for powerstance, hold down Y/Triangle to do it. Only weapons with similar attack types can be power stanced with each other.

edit: My case is mostly greed. There is about 15 other people (4-5 families) in the square mile where I live. Cable Company must not feel its worthy to expand out here, don't know. Doesn't help most the county is made up of older people, probably less likely to be interested in higher speed internet. I think local 3G speed is faster, but I'm surrounded by trees so its hard to get wireless signals.

yatesl

I tempted to wait. On the one hand, it'll be 11pm and I'm up at 6am for the work the next day. On the other hand, I'll have plenty of time now, but I'll miss all the online writing and summons etc.

I unlocked Arkham Origins np. So add that experience to the list.

I think they only care if you're using it to get better deals on games than what's available in your region.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
VPN isnt letting me connect to the JP servers and giving me error :(

EDIT: YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm gonna wait and see for this one. No blind buy after the first...

plus, sorry for the little OT guys but I just lost all of Neogaf's topic icons. Any idea how to restore them?

I'm gonna wait and see for this one. No blind buy after the first...

plus, sorry for the little OT guys but I just lost all of Neogaf's topic icons. Any idea how to restore them?
How much more could you possibly wait and see for? Durante has already covered the game extensively.

Ropaire

Banned
Note: Once the game has unlocked, either leave the VPN enabled or, if you'd prefer to disable it, switch Steam to Offline Mode. Disabling the VPN while online will cause your "In-Game" status to revert back to "Online" and this can cause issues with achievement triggers.

I realize this is a completely naïve question, but - seven hours from now, when the game is unlocked in North America - the VPN will no longer be necessary, correct? That is, once I unlock it via VPN, I won't have to continue to play in Offline Mode or in Japan in order to get achievements?

Just want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom