• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear someone is having no problems, however this seems too spotty at the moment to just be a broken release of the game all around. Considering the only people to get it and have these problems are VPN people, that evidence suggests it has something to do with it.

The VPN just makes it look like you are acessing Steam from Japan. They didn't fuck the Japanese release just to stop US people from playing the game 7 hours early.

Slowdive

Banned
I have an HD6870, windows 7 x64 and an i7. I'll just wait until tomorrow. Haven't got a clue what's wrong with it.

Maybe it's fucked because I preloaded it via UK steam, and then the update was via JP steam...

I have an AMD card too and it only crashed once, when I tried to change the graphics settings but otherwise it works great for me. I'm in the UK too so I don't think the region has anything to do with it. Shame people are having problems, hope it gets fixed as soon as possible.

RPS posted an interview with Miyazoe about Dark Souls II on PC.

Bad news, the game is going to be a cheater's heaven, by the comments given by him. Too many cookie cutter answers, as always.

Also, no mod support, but that's never news.

yatesl

It doesn't want to run at 4k on my 770. If I set it to 3840 x 2160, it just white screens then crashes.

FWIW, if this happens to you, the config files are in %AppData%\Roaming\DarkSoulsII

Bad news, the game is going to be a cheater's heaven, by the comments given by him. Too many cookie cutter answers, as always.

No Steam VAC? God damn, good luck to you all :(

At least the game has dedicated servers right guys??? Cant wait to get obliterated by cheaters while co-oping with my friends.

No Steam VAC? God damn, good luck to you all :(

At least the game has dedicated servers right guys??? Cant wait to get obliterated by cheaters while co-oping with my friends.

It has, and it seems they're banning people on the console versions. But, that's no guarantee of nothing :(

Phinor

Ah wow, was logged in to Steam mobile and it was causing the same issue. Fixed now, thanks!

Damn, same here. Weird that being logged in Steam mobile somehow overrides your "real" location of Japan for the client. Unlocked and the game seemed to work fine. Now to try offline mode until the actual release.

Grief.exe

That interview sounded disgustingly like a marketing fluff piece.

Left me feeling disgusted actually.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Miyazoe: We have found that it is difficult to eliminate all types of cheating on the PC platform, and ultimately we hope that players pick up the game and play with honor while enjoying the level balancing and designs that we have implemented.

This could get ugly

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GIVE US SILKY

GIVE US MOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH

Sullichin

Man that quote, I hope there is a way to play co op with friends without getting invaded because it will be frustrating as hell otherwise.

Invasions are really rare in NG. There's no way to get an unlimited red eyed orb. I'm hoping invasions pick up actually. But with how it works now, you don't really need to worry about constantly getting invaded during co-op. Way more co-op going on than invasions in the early game.
Do you have to activate the gamepad somewhere in the menus to get it to work? I am using a wired 360 gamepad.

No

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Nvidia will release "game-ready" drivers for this? They usually do with big-name PC titles.

Bulk_Rate

Looking forward to detailed impressions of the KB/mouse controls, especially the camera "feel"

I've pimped this series to several PC-only friends and my fear is they crash and burn horribly since most of them don't have gamepads.

LeBart

fuck-this-and-this.gif

It's a small nitpicky thing, but seriously... why is this a problem at all?

Grief.exe

Do you have to activate the gamepad somewhere in the menus to get it to work? I am using a wired 360 gamepad.

Make sure the drivers are installed, gamepad is plugged in, and recognized before you start the game.

I'm kinda scared about their statements about anti-cheat protection. You can get invaded even when hollow right? It won't be nice when xXxPussySlayer420xXx invades me and shits all over my game :(

I didn't run into too much cheating in 150 hours of Dark Souls and it was just as easy to cheat in that game.

Most of the cheaters get bored and quit quite quickly, and when you have a worldwide pool to choose from that brings the chances down to actually running into one.

It's a small nitpicky thing, but seriously... why is this a problem at all?

Sounds like something that is incredibly easy to ignore until an intrepid modder figures it out.

Sullichin

Looking forward to detailed impressions of the KB/mouse controls, especially the camera "feel"

I've pimped this series to several PC-only friends and my fear is they crash and burn horribly since most of them don't have gamepads.

Initial impression is that the mouse movement is MUCH better than Dark Souls. I mean it was fucking horrible in that game so it's not hard to be better, but it's fine here.
By default left click is your left hand and right click is your right hand. Thought that felt a little weird.
Not a fan of having sprint as a toggle.
There are still 360 button prompts if you use the keyboard. One input isn't disabled if you use the other. Not sure if you can change the prompts
But fuck playing this with a keyboard/mouse. I checked out that the controls weren't totally broken this time but then went back to the sweet DualShock 4. It's so much better. Playing this game without analog movement is dumb.

Grief.exe

Why the fuck do they not have gamepads?

xzchwZZ.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ok, I guess I have some kind of bug then. Anyone else having issues with the standard 360 gamepad? Mine is completely "locked down" when I go into the game, but weirdly the 360 button ui is still showing.

Make sure you have no other controllers connected, or bluetooth devices that can be read as controllers

Moff

at first glance they dont look so bad, but Iafter an hour of playing I think its rubbish.
the double click mechanic for hard strikes makes the whole combat flawed because of the input delay. and the camera is ok, BUT the lock on mechanics, at least in their default state, are bad, because switching targets is done with keyboard keys and it doesnt work. I have already died a few times because of them.

I think this game is best with a gamepad, but I havent found the option yet to turn them on.
even dark souls 1, which was a terrible port, immediately recognised my gamepad perfectly, but DS2 has my attacks on the right analog stick...

inyue

Banned
Are you guys using japanese VPSs to activate the game?
Can you guys play the game without using the offline mode?

I'm in Japan and interested to buy the game with these online cd keys retailers, but I'm not sure If could activate and play from a japanese IP (not sure if this game has any region protection like some russian Skyrim).

feel

Shit, VPN shenanigans going on (while I'm not at home) and talk of crashes everywhere, why couldn't this go smoothly and on schedule.

NVIDIA doesn't work either. Well not all it seems... I even tried window mode, game is just black. :lol
Maybe they upgraded the lightning at the last minute, see if you can stumble your way to a light source.

la_briola

Shit, VPN shenanigans going on (while I'm not at home) and talk of crashes everywhere, why couldn't this go smoothly and on schedule.

Maybe they upgraded the lightning at the last minute, see if you can stumble your way to a light source.

No sound either. ;-)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

lol

d00d3n

Make sure you have no other controllers connected, or bluetooth devices that can be read as controllers

Thanks, solved my issue completely. Had a bluetooth usb stick connected to be able to play dolphin and didn't know it could lead to issues in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom