• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Oh hi! :D
ZG2Ixlh.jpg

Grief.exe

Will do, thanks Grief. I might need some help since I don't know if I can put everything on the most decent settings since as most of you know, my upgrade was not a big one but I'm happy with it. I'm not going to bother people regarding this since I'm really amateur when it comes to tinkering with settings and I don't want to waste people's time with this issue. I'll be testing and learning step by step... :)

1080p and 60 FPS are my bare-minimum sticking points, I can turn down other options but I would prefer to have the clear resolution and smooth frame rate. One of the reasons console gaming is such an issue is generally they can't provide either of those options!

From there, you can turn off things like AA, AF, high-res textures, shadows, and AO. I find Ambient Occlusion (AO) generally takes the highest performance hit for very little effect on screen. By that I mean, it is very easy to notice the lack of AA, but AO is less likely to be noticed if you aren't directly looking for it.

Valravn

I get a message "Dark Souls 2 has stopped working' whenever i try to start up the game.

I made connection to VPN, game was unpacking, i tried playing it with vpn active and i tried with steam in offline mode. Game keeps crashing.

Rich!

I get a message "Dark Souls 2 has stopped working' whenever i try to start up the game.

I made connection to VPN, game was unpacking, i tried playing it with vpn active and i tried with steam in offline mode. Game keeps crashing.

Same issue here. Reinstalled, tried everything.

AMD or NVIDIA?

crocor

Neo Member

Same here. The same for a friend of mine. AMD both.

Vaporak

So forcing AA (on an AMD card) is giving me bright outlines on models in front of the skyboxes, anyone else get this problem when using AA?

nope, i still use lifegems and attack when I move the right analogue stick

well, got no one to blame but myself, i knew I shouldnt buy a from software game on launch, but I got weak today.
looks like I'll have to wait until the give us a manual option to turn on gamepad support.

Hey man, I don't know if this will help, but I got my controller working.

I'm using x360ce, once you have your controller set up in x360ce.exe, open up x360ce.cfg and under InputHook, add the line:

HookCOM=1

Now the right stick moves the camera, instead of attacking like before.

If you're not sure how to use x360ce or where to find it, here's a link.

Hope this works for you!

Grief.exe

I really hope DS4 works just fine in Dark Souls II. Looks like people are running into some xinput controller issues, which is very strange to say the least.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just a heads up in case it hasn't been said.

I tried enabling the Afterburner OSD and DS2 crashed and it would crash on start up until I closed Afterburner. Might have something to do with all of the crashes people are getting.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'm surprised that i'm running everything at max setting + SweetFX and still at solid 60fps, it only drops to 45-50 while in cutscenes or fog walls.

The_Monk

1080p and 60 FPS are my bare-minimum sticking points, I can turn down other options but I would prefer to have the clear resolution and smooth frame rate. One of the reasons console gaming is such an issue is generally they can't provide either of those options!

From there, you can turn off things like AA, AF, lower-res textures, shadows, and AO. I find Ambient Occlusion (AO) generally takes the highest performance hit for very little effect on screen.

That's really good to know, thanks. I'll be sure to make further research or send you a PM with my Specs if that's not too much to ask. As for my Monitor I have no idea if it's good or what makes a Monitor good. I went for a decent price and I trusted my local store who have a very kind and helpful manager. I see lot's of people mentioning high-end Monitors with resolutions of 1440p and all that which is really out of my league.

I did a search on Google and my Monitor is this one: ASUS VS247 or ASUS VS247H-P I don't know what's the difference.

AkuMifune

Banned
Durante has announced GeDoSaTo - universal high quality downsampling for all PC games.

I'm in class so I can't, but this absolutely deserves a thread of its own.

The only issue I have is not being able to downsample in clone mode. When both my TV and monitor are connected I can't, have to switch to just one monitor to enable...will this help with that, or is there any way to enable a workaround in such a case?

DS2 must be downsampled, so I'll deal with it regardless.

Grief.exe

I tried enabling the Afterburner OSD and DS2 crashed and it would crash on start up until I closed Afterburner. Might have something to do with all of the crashes people are getting.

Totally possible. Sometimes injectors (Afterburner, Fraps, even the Steam Overlay) cause issues with games.

You generally don't see it in modern games as they are so common on PC, but could be an oversight by a still inexperienced From.

Generally starting these programs after the game is loaded fixes the issues.

I'm surprised that i'm running everything at max setting + SweetFX and still at solid 60fps, it only drops to 45-50 while in cutscenes or fog walls.

Lower FPS during fog walls I can deal with.

Have you tried with and without the checkmark in "Enable Compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries"? I don't know what it does, but that was often the cause of Dark Souls crashing for me.

Rich!

Totally possible. Sometimes injectors (Afterburner, Fraps, even the Steam Overlay) cause issues with games.

You generally don't see it in modern games as they are so common on PC, but could be an oversight by a still inexperienced From.

I've got nothing like that running, and I've disabled steam overlay.

VashTS

So forcing AA (on an AMD card) is giving me bright outlines on models in front of the skyboxes, anyone else get this problem when using AA?

Same issue. Looks like it hates AMD's AA. I guess we will have to settle for downscaling, but I'm too lazy to set it up with regedits.

Durante pls save us AMD users with your almighty downscale tool!!

Also Sweet FX doesn't want to work at all for me. not seeing any difference when enabling it.

Cool thingy: the game remembers the window position so if you setup fullscreen windowed (via ShiftWindow) it will start in borderless window each time

Sullichin

Really no reason that it shouldn't work, but people are running into problems with xinput controllers today.

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

I'm going to guess that, like the first game, DSII supports Dinput and Xinput which can cause issues. I think in many cases a second controller is being detected and it's messing up the mappings.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Have you tried with and without the checkmark in "Enable Compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries"? I don't know what it does, but that was often the cause of Dark Souls crashing for me.

I'll give it a shot.

By the way, what SweetFX settings should I be using for this game? Never used it before and the default settings are giving me weird pink artifacts.

Grief.exe

I'm going to guess that, like the first game, DSII supports Dinput and Xinput which can cause issues. I think in many cases a second controller is being detected and it's messing up the mappings.

So make sure the Hide DS4 controller option is selected

I'll give it a shot.

By the way, what SweetFX settings should I be using for this game? Never used it before and the default settings are giving me weird pink artifacts.

Check Durante's tweak article on PC Gamer.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I would love to see a PC high res screenshot of the Faraam armor.
If any of you early PC guys has it, you'd make me really happy and maybe make me by the game...again.

feel

Was playing on default visual settings, downsampled just fine, looked good. Quit and did the Inspector changes by Durante and now the game is crashing at startup every time and reverting the inspector changes didn't help. FUCK

edit-

Nevermind, had crazy high resolution on that only kicked in during restart, fixed it on the config file.

Grief.exe

Well guys, I have a class that starts just before the game releases so I will be LTTP on this one. Unfortunate, but not too big a deal as I have already warned my girl friend about my 'absence' tonight and have tomorrow off.

You guys are going to learn a lot more about GeDoSaTo and Dark Souls 2 soon. Be ready.

PC Gamer article incoming.

Get hyped.

mileS

Good to see you got it early The_Monk :)

I enjoyed following your DS1 journey on the steam activity page. Awesome screens. Hope you do the same thing this time around. Except this time I'll be playing the same time.

Moaradin

Is anyone using their DS4? I downloaded and installed DS4Tool. It recognizes my controller, and I can change the light and stuff like that, but the game isn't finding it.

AmyS

I am curious, would we all agree that the PlayStation 4 (forget Xbox One for a moment) is capable of handling this: http://youtu.be/vjZvXpOMGxY Dark Souls II TGS 2013 Trailer at native 1080p | 60 FPS ?

Edit: Also, the TGS 2013 gameplay demo, supposedly on PS3 (looks like it's running at 30 FPS, not 60, even taking YT limitations into account)
http://youtu.be/IWI-TRZQpwI

This TGS 2013 version of DSII (both the trailer and the gameplay demo) looks to be 100% real-time on some PC, and PS3 for the demo, yet not some pre-rendered nonsense.
I guess FROM decided that it was too much to run this version of the game on 360/PS3 at 720p | 30 FPS without major dips in framerate. Thus, the version we have now, which looks best on PC.

Keep in mind its very doubtful this somewhat more sophisticated version of DSII is making use of the DX11 / SM5 feature set.
To me, it just looks more like a solid DX9 / Shader Model 3 based graphics engine, but more than what the 360 / PS3 could handle at even 720p | 60 FPS.

So without building a demanding, state-of-the-art 'modern' graphics engine, could or could not the PS4 be made to handle the original version of DSII at 1080p | 60 if done by a competent team coding it ?
Regardless of the fact that FROM Software is not going to actually ever do something like that, and also not taking into account XBone's weaker GPU which has roughly half the pixel fillrate of PS4's,

legacyzero

Banned
Oh my Buddha.

My good GAFfers, I don't think I ever asked this, but... can I get the biggest, warmest, great hug or the highest of fives, please? In .gif form or any other form is fine!

Because:

oL5YDiQ.png

...Things just got REAL. HYPE is here, Coffee is done. Please let me join the Party with you all, fine people!

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Sullichin

YES! YES!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

60fps@1080p... this is what I wanted from start... oh my God, ZERO lag in controls, now it feels identical to Demon's Souls (I know that game wasn't 60fps but the controls were tight as fuck). YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!
Right? Fuck yes. The blanket of lag from the PS3 version is gone. It feels so much better.

..Dare I say I haven't noticed any strange hitboxes yet. I'm not going to claim they're any better than the console version. It might just feel that way because everything is so much smoother. And I haven't gotten to the worst offenders.

see my post above.

6870 here. There's obviously some kind of issue here with the game - gahhhh

Unlocked it with the VPN hack but it crashes everytime I try to run it ://// 7970 here. Halp

HD7950, No VPN, works fine. Whatever the issue is, it's not exclusive to AMD cards, and it might have something with using a VPN. I haven't heard anyone with early access to the game mention crashing.

d00d3n

This actually worked. Now running the previously mentioned x8 SGSSAA at 60 fps in the intro area.

Use these settings: (quoted from other user)

Sadly, running around in the intro area was not very representative. There is a huge persistent fps drop in Majula when you get close to the big hole in the ground. There were also minor temporary fps drops in the intro area when opening fog gates. The fps drops were there even with 4x SGSSAA and removing the sli settings from Dark Souls 1 resolved the issues (back to 60fps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom