• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

moop1167

Nito's set up is also extremely expensive.

You can generally force SLI compatibility through Nvidia Inspector. Will just take some playing around with different profiles.

I will probably start with the Dark Souls 1 profile.

What are you using for this? I'm not at home now but the one I use seems to work. I think it's the same one as dark age of Camelot.

elseanio

Working perfect with DS4 here. Initially the camera was just spinning, and the button mapping was all wrong - I needed to tick "Hide DS4 controller" from the tool which has now fixed that

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
2 more shots:
9jxWNib.jpg

dQZFLxF.jpg

see my post above.

6870 here. There's obviously some kind of issue here with the game - gahhhh

I've got a crazy idea, just wait until it's actually released and no VPN hacks are needed. You might not even have the full game downloaded.

If it's still not working when it's officially available then bitch about it till the cows come home.

JackEtc

Do you guys think DS2 would be able to run on my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina? In Windows, obviously.

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core
16 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz)
GeForce GTX 650M (1024 MB)

Obviously I wouldn't be running at a full 2880x1800, but something like 1680x1050 probably. Could I do it?

I'm really interested in getting into the Souls series, they seem nuts.

Slowdive

Banned
I've got a crazy idea, just wait until it's actually released and no VPN hacks are needed. You might not even have the full game downloaded.

If it's still not working when it's officially available then bitch about it till the cows come home.

But other people (including myself) have it working fine with VPN, I'm 99% sure it's an issue with the game, not steam.

Arkanius

AMD 280X here
Working perfectly

Except for SSAA, I get a blue outline on most objects through RadeonPro
Everything else is PERFECT AND SILKY SMOOTH

TheTrain

ATI user with VPN, can anyone see if SSAA, forced by CCC or Radeon Pro, works with DS2? :eek:

AMD 280X here
Working perfectly

Except for SSAA, I get a blue outline on most objects through RadeonPro
Everything else is PERFECT AND SILKY SMOOTH

Did you tried to force it from CCC?

Skyzard

Banned
The first game was amazing too. It's the only Souls game I've played. No other game has taught me PATIENCE like Dark Souls has. You should pick up Dark Souls 1 as well when it hits a deal or something. Totally worth it. Just be "Prepared to Die".

Thank you, I picked up DSII today from simplycdkeys and will hopefully start a little bit fresh on the game with others, then go back like you said with a steam sale if I get hooked.

Do you guys think DS2 would be able to run on my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina? In Windows, obviously.

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core
16 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz)
GeForce GTX 650M (1024 MB)

Obviously I wouldn't be running at a full 2880x1800, but something like 1680x1050 probably. Could I do it?

I'm really interested in getting into the Souls series, they seem nuts.

60 fps on high settings at 1440x900

I haven't played it extensively (can't get used to the keyboard and mouse controls)

1680x1050 has drops below 60, whereas 1440x900 is pretty much locked at 60.

For grins, I tried 2880x1800 and it generally stayed over 20 fps, getting close to 30 in Majula, but after experiencing it at 60 fps I just couldn't keep it there, no matter how good it looked.

This game seems very well optimized indeed.

devo1989

So, I can run this perfectly on my monitor. But if I switch to my plasma TV and try to run it it crashes on start up. Managed to trick it by dragging the windowed version of the game from the monitor to the TV and then switching to full screen however, that's a little annoying. Running on a 550ti and both at 1080p. Anyone in a similar situation?

erawsd

I'm running a 7950. Downsampled from 1440, all settings maxed, with DS4Tool.

Everything is running beautifully, it hasn't dipped below 61 FPS yet.

Has anyone experiencing crashing resolved their issue? I restarted steam in offline mode before starting the game and it crashes every single time. 7950 over here.

JackEtc

60 fps on high settings at 1440x900

I haven't played it extensively (can't get used to the keyboard and mouse controls)

1680x1050 has drops below 60, whereas 1440x900 is pretty much locked at 60.

For grins, I tried 2880x1800 and it generally stayed over 20 fps, getting close to 30 in Majula, but after experiencing it at 60 fps I just couldn't keep it there, no matter how good it looked.

This game seems very well optimized indeed.

Awesome! Thanks man, love that this laptop can handle games pretty well.

The only things I've seen about the Souls games are Giant Bomb's coverage and some talk about it on podcasts. I'm excited, but also scared HAHA. What am I getting myself into....

xBladeM6x

I'm hoping I'll be able to run this game at max at 1920x1080 with SGGGGGGG x4 whatever it is Anti-Aliasing, on these specs. (With no dips) xD

CPU: i7-3770k
GPU 660 TI

yatesl

Game is great. I even risked playing it online with a VPN, because I wanted all the other players in. Seeing everyone go through it first (possibly second, if they played on console!) time is a lot of fun.

And I'm terrified of when the next bonfire is.

Rich!

Well, that's the plan! I'll wait and see.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Awesome! Thanks man, love that this laptop can handle games pretty well.

The only things I've seen about the Souls games are Giant Bomb's coverage and some talk about it on podcasts. I'm excited, but also scared HAHA. What am I getting myself into....
I own the same machine and feel the same way. Though, I'd choose 1920x1200 / 30FPS.

Doesn't look like my CE will be delivered until tomorrow. For the best, I think, as I really should spend all day today working on final projects/studying for finals. If I can get enough done, then I think I can justify playing tomorrow night.

I think I'm going to roll a Deprived. Maybe even do a dual wielding, no shield playthrough. I loved playing no shield on Dark Souls 1. Nothing more satisfying then running around, one handing a giant sword while parrying enemies with the back of your hand.

The atmosphere in this game is just awesome. 60FPS is so nice feeling as well.

I don't really get what the point of not being able to level up at any bonfire is, though? All that means is I have to fast travel back and forth to level up. Pretty pointless and annoying.

_machine

I am curious, would we all agree that the PlayStation 4 (forget Xbox One for a moment) is capable of handling this: http://youtu.be/vjZvXpOMGxY Dark Souls II TGS 2013 Trailer at native 1080p | 60 FPS ?

So without building a demanding, state-of-the-art 'modern' graphics engine, could or could not the PS4 be made to handle the original version of DSII at 1080p | 60 if done by a competent team coding it ?
With time and money, no doubt about it. It's not exactly a quick and easy thing, but given that they do have the renderer working properly and the game already supports all that they've shown in the trailers it's certainly doable and something that would not be out of scope for FROM, but in the end it's about getting the money and manpower for the job.

didamangi

Anyone else having crash at startup? Tried everything I could think of (verifying cache, closing msi afterburner, disabling antivirus) and it's still crashing :(

Core i3 2100, GTX 570, Win 7 x64.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've put together a guide for those unfamiliar with VPN configuration:

- Ensure your pre-load has completed and that you're not logged into Steam anywhere else (additional PCs and mobile devices)
- Download and install the OpenVPN client
- Find a Japanese server from this list, preferably one that has been up for at least 24 hours and offers decent throughput, and click the "OpenVPN Config File" link
- Download the config file and move it to OpenVPN's config folder (C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config by default)
- Open OpenVPN, right-click on its taskbar icon, then click "Connect"*
- Once connected, type "What's My IP" into Google to ensure your IP has changed (it'll be obvious as you'll be rerouted to Google.co.jp); if your IP hasn't changed, try exiting OpenVPN and running it again as an admin (right-click -> Run as administrator)
- Restart Steam, select Dark Souls 2 and click "Play" (you can kill the VPN while Steam decrypts the data and downloads the day one patch if things are rather slow)

Note: Once the game has unlocked, either leave the VPN enabled or, if you'd prefer to disable it, switch Steam to Offline Mode. Disabling the VPN while online will cause your "In-Game" status to revert back to "Online" and this can cause issues with achievement triggers.

* If you see the "netsh command failed: returned error code 1" error when connecting, navigate to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, right-click the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 connection, click "Properties", select "Internet Protocol Version 4" from the list, click "Properties" again and ensure the adapter is set to obtain an IP automatically.

Edit: And in the interest of full disclosure:

This post was incredibly useful, thanks duder.

BadTaste

I need a bluetooth dongle to use the Dualshock 3 right? I may have to invest in one or a 360 controller, I just tried playing with Mouse and Keyboard... meh.

yatesl

Anyone who can play the game know? I read a couple of post back that two people were having controller problem. I assume they were using a non-360 controller?

I'm using a PS3 pad with BetterDS3, which emulates a 360 pad. All the button prompts ingame are 360 buttons, too. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I need a bluetooth dongle to use the Dualshock 3 right? I may have to invest in one or a 360 controller, I just tried playing with Mouse and Keyboard... meh.

You can have it wired with a USB cable.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone who can play the game know? I read a couple of post back that two people were having controller problem. I assume they were using a non-360 controller?

It's supported.

Those having issues had multiple controllers connected (or bluetooth receivers which had in the past been connected to controllers)

DS1 and 2 only recognize one controllers input.

BadTaste

I'm using a PS3 pad with BetterDS3, which emulates a 360 pad. All the button prompts ingame are 360 buttons, too. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You can have it wired with a USB cable.

I have a USB cable, but the lights on the controller kept flashing when plugged into my PC.

masterkajo

Controller work fine. Especially Xbox360 should work without issues. DS3 works great with XInput wrapper (source: Durante himself) and DS4 should work fine too if you use the latest XInput wrapper especially for DS4 and check the hide DS4 controller box so windows only registers it as a XBox360 controller (this should help avoid DS2 getting double input from emulated Xbox360 controller and DS4 direct input).

Forcing SSAA (4x) from the CCC makes the blue/red outlines around objects as well. Don't know how to fix it.

Could you maybe post a screenshot of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom