• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

God.

I was so excited tonight to play. I should've known From would fuck it up.

Watch the forums for DKS2 and whatnot. Thousands of crash reports, I mean more so than for a Elder Scrolls game lol...pretty nuts.

On top of that, lack of controller support. KB+M support is rather bad, better than before, but still bad.

I just want to play.

But KB+M is AWFUL. And my DS4 won't work, I tried DS3Wrapper, which works in every other game, including DS1. I tried DS4Tool, which still doesn't work in ANYTHING.

I havent crashed just yet and my PS3 controller works fine using what fools the game into thinking its a 360 controller.

Can anyone tell me how the rumble is supposed to work?

Testing out my DS4 using the xinput tool. I get rumble when I block. What about attacking someone? When I am supposed to feel rumble?

Explosions and probably getting hit.

Atilac

I almost dread getting into Dark Souls 2 again because the soul memory mechanic is just so terrible. I love playing co-op in those games and you're basically punished for doing so.

Knowing that I'm progressively putting myself further out of the range of others the more I help them isn't fun.

Any talk of adjusting that?

EDIT: I like to help noobs with boss fights as a white spirit. I didn't realize I was being punished for helping others...

kewlmyc

So going into Big Picture Mode, unplugging my monitor, pressing start, and plugging it back in seems to work just fine. Sucks doing that every time I want to play this game though. Killed the old ladies laughing at me in the beginning me quell my anger. Will try some new stuff tomorrow.

Teknoman

Apparently when it says "Not Downsampling" you have to actually set the res in the in game options menu as well. Thanks Hawkian!

I found a covenant but I'm not sure if I should join it.
Its the one up the hill in majula.

Also I
saw the big monster near the beginning and was thinking about fighting it but then I got scared and wimped out. Should I fight it or is it something I should take on later?

Also I
saw the big monster near the beginning and was thinking about fighting it but then I got scared and wimped out. Should I fight it or is it something I should take on later?

First time player? Don't. Makes the game harder.

Skinpop

no crashes for me luckily.

DS2 so far feels a lot harder than ds1, though I don't really like enemies getting
permanently removed
but eh, maybe I'll warm up to it.

Are weapons in DS2 a lot more fragile than in ds1? My weapons break after like 20 minutes of usage, it's a pain in the ass.

Was a bit disappointed when I started TBH, I think ds1 looks a bit better and has better atmosphere but once I went to a new area and felt scared shitless to go through doors not knowing what to expect it all came back to me how awsome ds is when you play it for the first time.
Leveling up at the same place kinda sucks though, and I'm not a fan of the fast travel. Other than that I'm very excited.

rybrad

I am getting a crash when I select the resolution I want to downsample from in-game, what am I doing wrong? I enabled AA in-game, ran the tool as admin, not using HDMI, disabled Steam overlay and it just flickers a bunch when I change the resolution and crashes. Hopefully I am being an idiot and just missing something simple here.

Levyne

Banned
Well, finally found a shortcut in the wharf, that should help. Stinks that theres no bonfire, but that would be too easy!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I played Dark Souls so much I forgot that it's way easier to die when you don't know where everything's coming from.

Also the timing of everything in the combat is just different enough to screw me up. Still trying to figure out the parry window.

Ilive1up

I played Dark Souls so much I forgot that it's way easier to die when you don't know where everything's coming from.

Also the timing of everything in the combat is just different enough to screw me up. Still trying to figure out the parry window.

this. i'm on the "2nd boss" and i feel like i must parry but my timing is just atrocious.

Zeliard

Any talk of adjusting that?

EDIT: I like to help noobs with boss fights as a white spirit. I didn't realize I was being punished for helping others...

The mechanic is relatively simple - gaining souls puts that into your soul memory bank (regardless of whether or not you actually use them), and the game looks at that along with your actual soul level to gauge multiplayer ranges.

The problem arises when you play a decent amount of co-op. You attain a meaty amount of souls for helping someone beat a boss, especially in the mid to late game, and those souls go into your soul memory bank.

So you can see the problem...

Soul memory disappears in NG+ but in the normal game, where the player base is naturally larger, it can become a major problem. Eventually I ended up not being able to be summoned at all for anything, even very late-game bosses and encounters.

seph1roth

Well, i can't take screenshots with gedosato, crash after crash XD

Nah, even with those crashes this fix is awesome, DS2 looks incredible.

JLeack

Banned
God.

I was so excited tonight to play. I should've known From would fuck it up.

Watch the forums for DKS2 and whatnot. Thousands of crash reports, I mean more so than for a Elder Scrolls game lol...pretty nuts.

On top of that, lack of controller support. KB+M support is rather bad, better than before, but still bad.

I just want to play.

But KB+M is AWFUL. And my DS4 won't work, I tried DS3Wrapper, which works in every other game, including DS1. I tried DS4Tool, which still doesn't work in ANYTHING.

No crashing here and I've been playing non stop for a week.

I posted a guide on how to get DS4 working. Check it out.

Also I

Well, I think you could join it for the achievement (Playfire rewards) then leave it for another one. Does anyone know for certain if the increased difficulty remains after you leave it?

Zeliard

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This explains why I can help past 3 boss kills :(

EDIT: ^^^^^^^ meant for Zeliard

Well it shouldn't have much of an effect with only that few boss kills. It only starts to really have an impact when you've played a notable amount of co-op (or gotten a lot of souls through some other way, but the enemy extinction mechanic makes grinding out enemies less feasible).

Mkilbride

Banned
No crashing here and I've been playing non stop for a week.

I posted a guide on how to get DS4 working. Check it out.

Be pretty nice if you linked it, you know?

God. It's not like I'm pissed off enough with all the bullcrap that is From Software, but I got someone telling me to check out a guide without a link!

I even checked his posts for two pages and didn't find it.

JLeack

Banned

Mkilbride

Banned
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/664357-review-dark-souls-2-pc-ps3-xbox-360

Sorry. I linked it in this thread twice already and didn't want to spam.

Good luck!

You linked a review.

Which at no point, mentions how to use a DS4 controller.

And please for the love of fucking GOD do not post this link:

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...sion-using-the-dualshock-4-heres-how#/slide/1

Because that's shit. It doesn't work. It never worked. Others are posting it not working as well.

Atilac

Well it shouldn't have much of an effect with only that few boss kills. It only starts to really have an impact when you've played a notable amount of co-op (or gotten a lot of souls through some other way, but the enemy exctinction mechanic makes grinding out enemies less feasible).

I might be over-leveled in that case.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well then... at 1440p with almost all the goodies on I get a stable 60fps... all I can say is thanks Durante, and thanks to whatever combo of specs made it so that I'm not having any crash issues. Smooth and silky. Easy to get absorbed now..

LNuQ6Qw.jpg

I remember what is was like in life, among those hopeless monks, five years of celibate, plodding existence for a handful of simple incantations and a lot of mumbo jumbo about "faith." The spells will come in handy in time, but all this talk of "miracles" is gibberish to me.

Now I come to these blasted lands. Drangleic, the old hag said it was. Time to get rid of this ludicrous weapon and reacquire the tools of my trade.

Beggars can't be choosers I suppose...

That's more like it.

Mkilbride

Banned
I just want to play.

But the KB+M controls are awful. They should've just copied DSMFix, it was 10x better then what we have now.

And to support no controllers but Official X360's.

So annoyed. This should've been an awesome night, but now it's turning into a night where I just wanna go to bed and not wake up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I almost dread getting into Dark Souls 2 again because the soul memory mechanic is just so terrible. I love playing co-op in those games and you're basically punished for doing so.

Knowing that I'm progressively putting myself further out of the range of others the more I help them isn't fun.

Can you explain that mechanic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom