• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ill Saint

This is why I never bother to help anyone. Even discussing the game gets people so worked up. It's a tip, theres nothing spoilery about it. A simple tip to help people. It's friendly advice to make a pain in the ass area not so pain in the ass.

No dude, it's that your idea of what constitutes 'help' in this case is inappropriate. You are assuming that people already need your help for things which they are yet to encounter, which is not right.

Teknoman

Please please please someone tell me how to reverse the bumpers/triggers on the 360 controller. This game is unplayable as it is for me. I can't stand these controls. Never imagined this to be a problem in this day and age.

I dont think you can? The controls have been like that for 3 games now, so you might just have to adapt.

Kalnos

Banned
Early boss spoilers:
Pursuer was a really cool fight. Couldn't seem to hit him with the ballista. Just parried him to death

soldat7

No dude, it's that your idea of what constitutes 'help' in this case is inappropriate. You are assuming that people already need your help for things which they are yet to encounter, which is not right.

Agreed. The other thread was ruined by the lack of spoiler tags.

No, it's not. Part of the fun of the game is to figure out these things for yourself and overcoming the challenges these "pains in the ass" bring. I'm a little baffled that you don't get that.

The dude spent the entirety of the last thread bitching about everything. Clearly his posting style is just ... different.

Constantly playing at half health is just frustrating. Not fun or challenging. Turns the game into a tedious grind to reach the boss and then die in one hit. Also roll invincibility. In Dark Souls, getting hit outside of i-frames knocked you backwards, same as anything else. In Dark Souls II, getting hit during a roll doesn't affect your movement at all. It looks like you're dodging and then magically taking damage.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How am I ruining the game? holy shit you people are so dramatic. Even the slightest thing ruins the game for everyone apparently. I thought I was doing people a favor, but, I forget DS players are so hardcore any advice on anything "ruins the game". I just tried to do everyone a solid.

I actually apreciate these type of tips, but i also think you should spoiler tag it, so only the people interested read them :)

Constantly playing at half health is just frustrating. Not fun or challenging. Turns the game into a tedious grind to reach the boss and then die in one hit. Also roll invincibility. In Dark Souls, getting hit outside of i-frames knocked you backwards, same as anything else. In Dark Souls II, getting hit during a roll doesn't affect your movement at all. It looks like you're dodging and then magically taking damage.

there's a
Ring of Binding that limits your HP reduction to 75%
that fixes the 50% health issue. Or just stop dying so much lol

Tip number 2: Do not bring a torch to the start area of this area. Kill that idiot with the torch. Otherwise you're gunna end up fighting a ton of guys that are normally friendly. Oh and you miss out on a ton of lore and a merchant and NPC summon.

Heres another tip: If you see one of the hollow guys run towards the bell. Drop w/e you're doing and kill him. Those assholes love to ring the bell. Their whole existence is simply to ring that bell.

there's a
Ring of Binding that limits your HP reduction to 75%
that fixes the 50% health issue. Or just stop dying so much lol

Thanks for the tips.

JLeack

Banned
How am I ruining the game? holy shit you people are so dramatic. Even the slightest thing ruins the game for everyone apparently. I thought I was doing people a favor, but, I forget DS players are so hardcore any advice on anything "ruins the game". I just tried to do everyone a solid.

But dude... THE BELL. It's, like, integral to the plot n stuff.

I dont think you can? The controls have been like that for 3 games now, so you might just have to adapt.

This is so bizarre to me. I played DS1 on PS3, and there L1 and R1 serve better as block/attack due to the horrible L2 and R2. But now I assume if I hook up my Ps4 controller I'd probably feel the same as with the 360; if the triggers are there, they should be used for the block. I walk around with it on all the time. Argh.

Levyne

Banned
Avoid that dude - is there a gate to the left of him? In the cave leading to that area. Just get the item and leave.

Thanks!
I ran up to him avoiding damage but melee couldn't seem to land anything. Not that I stuck around very long.

Ill Saint

You have options. Revert to human with an effigy or do some brief small soapstone co-op. There are other means of regaining more health, but you'll discover that on your own.

Well,
Dragonrider
was easy.

He's the Pinwheel of Dark Souls 2.

Pinwheel staggers when he gets hit, plus he's way harder to reach. And there are people who have played over 200 hours and don't even know what it's like to get hit by Pinwheel's attack. Dragonrider at least feels like an upgraded standard enemy who would be pretty damn tough if he wasn't constantly exposing his back.

Quikies83

For people having a white screen issue while using GeDoSaTo, disable the steam overlay.

It's a known bug that Durante is working to fix

This was my issue.

5 hours later - I'm absolutely loving this game.... after putting over 100 hours into the PS3 version...
It's seriously like playing a new game.

Krakn3Dfx

Played a game a bit using GeDoSaTo, holy cow it looks so good compared to the PS3 version I've been playing, not sure I'll ever be able to go back to the Knight I put 60 hours into. Also, the darkness in the tutorial area using GeDoSaTo feels like what I imagine the original vision for the game was, I actually used the torch and felt like I needed to go through and light all of the fires to see where I was going.

It really is like an entirely new experience between the improved visuals and solid 60fps. The PS3 version feels like I was watching it through a vaseline covered glass in comparison.

This is so bizarre to me. I played DS1 on PS3, and there L1 and R1 serve better as block/attack due to the horrible L2 and R2. But now I assume if I hook up my Ps4 controller I'd probably feel the same as with the 360; if the triggers are there, they should be used for the block. I walk around with it on all the time. Argh.

I'm playing with a dualshock 4 and it's L1 and R1 for block/attack. just like PS3 version. Isn't the xbox 360 version also bumpers for attack/block? Buttons are more reliable than triggers for those actions anyway. also more comfortable to use over the long term.

So is this weapon worth upgrading?
The one with the knight or whoever with white robe in forest of giants laying against the tree. The lightning sword?

Played a game a bit using GeDoSaTo, holy cow it looks so good compared to the PS3 version I've been playing, not sure I'll ever be able to go back to the Knight I put 60 hours into. Also, the darkness in the tutorial area using GeDoSaTo feels like what I imagine the original vision for the game was, I actually used the torch and felt like I needed to go through and light all of the fires to see where I was going.

It really is like an entirely new experience between the improved visuals and solid 60fps. The PS3 version feels like I was watching it through a vaseline covered glass in comparison.

What's funny now too is if you are a long distance away from enemies you can now notice their reduced animations at a long range and that their animations drop to 30FPS when they're far away. That would have been impossible to notice in the PS3 version.

In the forest of fallen giants, take the side passage through the river and pay attention to the enemy directly ahead, facing the bonfire. You'll see enemies floating above the ground, not moving their legs and moving in a very choppy manner.

No proper 16:10 support ;-;

Still, downsampling from 2880x1800 with 4XSGSSAA and HBAO via the nvidia inspector settings durante had so it looks nice! Maintaining a steady 60 so far as well.

Please please please someone tell me how to reverse the bumpers/triggers on the 360 controller. This game is unplayable as it is for me. I can't stand these controls. Never imagined this to be a problem in this day and age.

Stupid and last-resort-thing but should work...thingy solution thing:

Get a PC pad (as long as it has the standard PS2-like layout you should be fine) and use x360ce to emulate XInput...well, inputs:

https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Hot news, FROM: There's a reason most FPS use LT to aim; it's more comfortable to keep pressed than LB!

The one with the knight with white robe in forest of giants laying against the tree. The lightning sword?

titanite shards are plentiful enough as the game goes on that you don't really have to worry. If you like it, upgrade it.

I paid more attention to the weapon's moveset than its stats early on, within a certain amount.

Levyne

Banned
No proper 16:10 support ;-;

Still, downsampling from 2880x1800 with 4XSGSSAA and HBAO via the nvidia inspector settings durante had so it looks nice! Maintaining a steady 60 so far as well.

Oh. I'm doing the same thing only just set the tool smaa to Ultra and not doing the sgssaa..

What card do you have? Maybe I have the overhead to do that as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Holy shit coop actually works!

170 hours into DkS 1 on PC and not a single time did I successfully summon or be summoned for coop.

Already helped a half dozen people take down the Pursuer and a few folks with the Giant. Fun stuff.

Holy shit coop actually works!

170 hours into DkS 1 on PC and not a single time did I successfully summon or be summoned for coop.

Already helped a half dozen people take down the Pursuer and a few folks with the Giant. Fun stuff.

co op pursuer is fun because you can actually use the
Ballista

Just don't hit your co-op buddy. I did that once. Oops!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bizarre, VAC bans are supposed to be a game-by-game basis, innit?

Not all of them. Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat, and a few other titles WILL ban you from said group of titles over individual bans.

I wish they'd do it that way to make hacking in CS:GO/etc. more severe.

Well, I got the big/normal Souls series white soupstone. But I apparently locked myself out of the area where you get
trapped in
to get it. Dunno if it's possible to unlock that area, but I'm still Soul Level 6 Depraved and need to grind souls up but no one is summoning. *tears*

Havel

Of course. I also made sure to go download some more RAM before playing.

No need to be like that.

Uninstall 1.3 by opening ScpDriver, delete 1.3, download 1.2.2. Go into device manager and uninstall your DS4 drivers. Unplug and plug back in again. Restart PC. Install 1.2.2 via "Force Install".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
4 hours... I actually hate you all right now. In fact, Dark Souls isn't even that good, just more overrated Japanese crap. In fact I'm glad I'm at work and not home playing it!

...goddamn it, fuck you guys :(

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The one with the knight or whoever with white robe in forest of giants laying against the tree. The lightning sword?

I'm going to say yes if only for a specific optional boss (well, two)---though gold pine resin on a normal weapon would help there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom