• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I need to go to bed. I managed to get myself to stop playing (I love how this game treats AltF4) but now I'm just spastically refreshing this thread, haha.

JLeack

Banned
I find myself questioning why I play this game about once an hour. This stress and pain is so opposite of what I play video games for.

Zacxx201

Banned
I can't believe I'm playing this on my computer and its this smooth ;_;

I don't feel like asking for help but fuck it, this fight is pissing me off. Against the
The Last Giant, how do I knock him over? It happened once and I don't know how I did it. The hitboxes on his spindly arms and legs are crazy

Best advice for that guy is to just keep rolling to the right and focusing on his right foot. Not sure how to knock him over, but focusing on the right side and rolling to the right should help you out a bit.

dekline

Finally ended modding the buttons.

DAoBHTh.jpg

PS4 buttons instead of Xbox360. It works fine for DS3 too.

You can download from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4v6mm8ua1zqqbxi/PS4buttons.zip

Obviously you need Durante's GeDoSaTo to use this

Thank you!

Wookieomg

anyone have any advice about using a Wii U Pro controller with DS2? I'm using a Mayflash wireless adapter with it set to xinput.. works fine in other games. Controls light up in Game controller properties but controller isn't functioning in DS2 :(

So... Is the game entirely unplayable over hdmi at the moment? Getting home tomorrow night and hoping to play it on my tv like all controller enabled games.

Since it has been asked a few times, I'll try to explain everything how it should theoretically work. Haven't tested it myself but there are reports of it working.

Use your Dualshock 4 on PC for Dark Souls 2
1. Download and install the official Xbox360 controller drivers from Microsoft found here.
2. Get the latest XInput wrapper for DS4 from here. Latest so far is version 1.2.2 but there might be a version 1.3 around. I am using 1.2.2
3. Follow instructions on how to install the Wrapper found in the ReadMe file.
4. Make sure to connect or pair (BT) your DS4 controller correctly.
5. Close all programs that might use the XBox360 controller and disconnect all other controllers.
6. Start the DS4 wrapper and make sure to check the "hide DS4 controller" option. You can check when clicking on "controllers" that only the XBox360 controller is listed. Otherwise you have another controller (DS4 direct input) connected which interferse with your input.
7. Start Steam, Dark Souls 2 and enjoy.

Thanks for posting this! The "Hide DS4 controller" option in Step 6 is what I was missing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't even get the textures to override. I guess you have to point the config file to the texture override instead of just putting them in the texture folder that the tool comes with.

JLeack

Banned
No Man's Wharf
is a pile of crap. I think I might uninstall this game tonight. I beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls without ever feeling this way.

TheSeks

What's the best starting gift,

None, this time around. They all have their uses and cons it seems. I went with the invader one thinking it was unlimited use but it's only one copy of that item. Blech.

and is deprived still the best starting class to get the maximum out of a build?

Yes.

Man, I've played for an hour and compared to the console version this feels like a different game! I haven't installed any mods or anything, but DAMN playing this at 60 frames is amazing.

After playing 40 hours of the PS3 version it's almost hard to wrap my head around how much smoother this is. Damn.

Levyne

Banned
No Man's Wharf
is a pile of crap. I think I might uninstall this game tonight. I beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls without ever feeling this way.

I struggled in that area too. Keep at it. A lot of the buildings can be avoided once you've looted them.

The boss is really easy...if you summon
Luca-whatever.

By the way, and open question to others, where does she
Lucatil?
go after you first meet at the wharf bonfire?

justjim89

My thoughts on this as a laptop gamer. Copypasted from my tumblr:

After much anticipation and trepidation, especially in regards to my laptop’s ability to run the game smoothly, I type with a smile on my face. I still need to finish Dark Souls on PC, but I may not go back to it for some time after booting up Dark Souls II and immediately getting an incredibly smooth framerate without adjusting settings at all. Dark Souls with DSfix is playable on my laptop, but it can get pretty chuggy sometimes. This is not the case at all with the sequel. I’ve had 30FPS+ consistently on my Asus K53TA. So on a tech side the game is already a major step up.

In regards to gameplay, everything I love about Dark Souls is there and then some. I opted for the Swordman class, who seemed to have a nice balance between dexterity, strength, and endurance. There were plenty of deaths between the start and the main hub area, but it’s to be expected. The combat of the game is immediately familiar and yet oddly foreign in a few nuanced ways i’m not sure i’m capable of articulating. It’s like your favorite dish prepared at a new restaurant and they have a different blend of seasonings.

In exploring the first offshoot area from the main hub, there have been plenty of death although not a discouraging amount. I’ve only lost a significant number of souls do to failing to reach them once, shortly before I quit my first play session. And it brings that same familiar sting as it did before.

The most noticeable change aside from the improved performance on my laptop is in the ability to warp between bonfires right out of the gate, which is a welcome addition though perhaps also illustrative of the game’s alleged lack of cohesiveness in regards to the overarching game world. If there’s one thing Dark Souls employed extremely successfully it was a sense of place. Every area felt seamlessly interconnected with each other one. I’ve read this game loses that to a degree, which is rather discouraging to hear, but if that’s the price to pay for a significant reduction in backtracking, I’m not sure I’ll miss it. It makes the game a little more forgiving, sure, but it’s not as though the game is lacking in challenge.

The reliance upon consumables for health recovery is another rather drastic change I’m still growing accustomed to. It makes me much more conservative with my healing knowing that I won’t get all my healing items back at the next bonfire. Health also raises much more gradually, which is something that must be taken into account in the middle of combat.

The dual swords setup is certainly a drastically different style of play, one that eschews blocking and parrying for rolling and focuses on inflicting more damage at a much quicker rate. It makes chopping down a single enemy a quicker process, but when facing groups that the game often throws at you, it makes the whole encounter much riskier, because a ill-timed strike or dodge doesn’t mean getting hit once, it means getting hit three to five times and most likely killed. Thankfully, I’ve been making use of a shield I keep on the same item slot as my second sword for fast switching when need be.

My character at level 20:
tumblr_n4kl6eH1Vf1rp5coao9_1280.jpg

Mkilbride

Banned
Yeah, I put the textures in the texture folder, like DS1...and nothing,. even with the "load" thing on =/

This on top of the controler issues and various things...

Maybe I should wait a few weeks...

Nah ok, I got it. You ahd to CREATE a Dark Souls II folder first...

It would be PERFECt if I could simply get my DS4 controller to work now =/

sikkinixx

This is like a totally different game from the PS3 version. Runs really well at 1080 even with an old 460. That and everyone is playing it so it's super easy to summon it be summoned. So much so I should probably stop doing that... I kinda crushed big giant guy and Orstein 2.0 with zero effort.

Coming off Dark Souls 1 I have no idea what I am doing. I'm a cleric. I pumped Faith to 22 for lightning miracle, which is amazing, but I'm just throwing stats into strength, adaptability and endurance. Dark souls I just pumped faith, endurance and vitality for my entire play through since all my weapons scaled with faith. Now.... I dunno

Gurrry

I figured out how to stream the game without ingame lag. Such a victory for me.

I was able to stream a no death run tonight and plan to do more in the future!

The PC version is the absolute best version. It really is silky and smooth. Dat FPS.

Pejo

After playing this on PC tonight from the PS3 version....holy shit what a difference increased IQ and Framerate can make. It almost feels like a different game. Absolutely loving it so far.

Krakn3Dfx

What's the best starting gift, and is deprived still the best starting class to get the maximum out of a build?

Bonfire aesthetic
is the most valuable out of the gate,
helpful for getting better items from bosses during the first play thru if you use it right.

Havel

Yeah, I put the textures in the texture folder, like DS1...and nothing,. even with the "load" thing on =/

This on top of the controler issues and various things...

Maybe I should wait a few weeks...

Did you create a folder inside the texture folder called DarkSoulsII

TheSeks

Did you create a folder inside the texture folder called DarkSoulsII

That still isn't working for me?

C:\Users\usernamehere\Downloads\GeDoSaTo_DS2Edition_Alpha1a\textures\DarkSoulsII\textureshere\

cheezcake

I seem to be having the same issue, using a 780 Ti. I tried it using just nvInspector settings and nvInspector w/ GeDoSaTo, same problems. Thought I was going nuts, lol.

Yeh its really driving me crazy as well, I'm on an old 570 here and everything else runs like butter. Hopefully someone finds a fix soon.

Havel

That still isn't working for me?

C:\Users\usernamehere\Downloads\GeDoSaTo_DS2Edition_Alpha1a\textures\DarkSoulsII\textureshere\

Inside that new DarkSoulsII folder, you need to drag the override folder from the icon mod to it, i.e. DarkSoulsII\override\*texture mods*

and make sure enabletextureoverride is set to true in the ini.

fade_

After playing this on PC tonight from the PS3 version....holy shit what a difference increased IQ and Framerate can make. It almost feels like a different game. Absolutely loving it so far.

Same, also it seems easier to dodge. Feels like I have +10 ADP at least over my ps3 character. Don't know if I can just attribute it to knowing what to do this time but it definitely seems to be alot easier to stay alive.

Raxus

I struggled in that area too. Keep at it. A lot of the buildings can be avoided once you've looted them.

The boss is really easy...if you summon
Luca-whatever.

By the way, and open question to others, where does she
Lucatil?
go after you first meet at the wharf bonfire?

There is a shortcut in the house below the switch that summons the ship. Her summon sign is right by the gate and it makes the run back mercifully shorter.

Add me Levy!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/College_boy/

Barakov

Just got to the bonfire where you meet
Lucatiel
. I did quite a bit of co-op today. I had a host die just after I entered the fog because
the last giant
fell on him. In the Heide's tower of flame I put my summon sign before
the dragonrider's
door and I had quite a few people drag me all the way to fight
old dragonslayer
. Summon signs seem to pop every second. I'll tackle the next section tomorrow.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Man, having an SSD makes a world of difference for load times.

Add that to the framerate and graphics, and though I'm only about 1/3 of where I got on the PS3, I'm already enjoying the game more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's the best starting gift, and is deprived still the best starting class to get the maximum out of a build?

Gift:
Petrified Something to trade to the crows. You can get something really nice very early. It's a bit random though.

Deprived "still" the best? lol, it never was... but this time it might be a good starting class for a hex build.

TheSeks

Inside that new DarkSoulsII folder, you need to drag the override folder from the icon mod to it, i.e. DarkSoulsII\override\*texture mods*

and make sure enabletextureoverride is set to true in the ini.

Ah, yeah. I re-read the config file as you posted that and made that extra /override/ folder. It works now.

Dunno why Downsampling won't work, or it is and I simply don't notice the HUGE change people say it does. Probably because my monitor doesn't support it anyway, but whatever. PS3 button textures get. I just need to edit the share/options out for select/start. I got a PS3 texture pack here for DaS1 but it's only one file so I doubt that'll work for DaS2. :/

Update: I found a fix but wow is it weird, Apperantly I had to hook my TV up to my PC as well through HDMI while my Monitor is DVI, then pressing windows+P and selecting duplicate fixed it.

However I must play on my TV for it work,boy is this port weird for some users, I just now need to setup my tv for the game to look good. I do wish I could play on my monitor, but at least it works though.

Arksy

Any way to swap heavy/light attack and block and parry for a gamepad? It should be the other way around but the in game bindings only affect keyboards. :(

Best advice for that guy is to just keep rolling to the right and focusing on his right foot. Not sure how to knock him over, but focusing on the right side and rolling to the right should help you out a bit.

Got it. I just stayed super close and I managed to avoid the stomp this time around
missing so much because of how skinny his legs are was frustrating though lol

alazz

I'd really appreciate a little tip because I can't figure out where I should go now. I beat
The Last Giant
and unlocked with the soldier key the door that leads to the intricately designed one and the other by the cresset that leads to the
3rd(?) bonfire and the Leather Armor
. It's actually a lot of fun not knowing where to go, though. I haven't even glanced at a wiki.

edit: actually I think I figured it out.

The game also runs so excellently. From did a great job and I don't doubt that PC really was the lead platform. And also, thank you Durante and JaseC; GeDoSaTo and the VPN tutorial are really awesome!

This version is so great, I love it.

A couple of screens I took:

So many summon siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigns!!! More than double what I'd see on the PS3.
darksoulsii_2014_04_25_13_20_13_692_by_realghostvids-d7fvbze.jpg

My cool dude
darksoulsii_2014_04_25_14_30_27_205_by_realghostvids-d7fvby9.jpg

TheSeks

You can't right now, in menus it will just appear.

We either have to wait for a modder, or use a 3rd party tool to render the cursor invisible.

Add to that you can't use the L/R2 triggers to switch between options and stuff in the menus. You have to use the mouse or back out B/O cancel to d-pad select. FROM PLZ. PLZ FROM.

(Also allow full controller mapping. Keyboard mapping is there, but not the controller? FROM PLZ. PLZ FROM.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom