• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

GUYS HELP.

I'm firing up the game for the first time and I gotta say I'm a bit drunk.

Never played a Souls game. Need help picking a class. Which is going to be the easiest to play? I think I wanna play primarily melee focused, and think I wanna use a shield. Want to be able to dodge fast, no fat-rolling.

I'm thinking a Knight. Thoughts???

Also what's a good gift?

alichino

Okay, (possibly) stupid question about GeDoSaTo for you guys. So I mostly used the default settings included in the .ini file, except I set the rendering resolution to 1440p and left the present resolution as 1080p. For some reason whenever I use the + hotkey in-game, it says "Not downsampling". Am I doing something wrong? Appreciate the help!

DukeBobby

Man, I'm loving this.

I don't even want to continue to the next area. I'm having way too much fun trying to beat the first boss with other players as quickly as possible.

is anyone able to get decent frame at 7680x4320 and everything max in GeDoSato configuration. my 780ti cant even get more then 10fps =(

Turn all of your GeDoSaTo settings to the minimum possible.

If you don't get ~30fps then, consider turning down your ingame settings.

Do not expect 60fps. Expect ~30fps if you are lucky.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Halp!

Is there any way to reverse the A and B button functionality when using an Xbox controller?

I played through on a Japanese PS3 and X was assigned to run. The layout appears to be reversed on the non-Japanese PC version. Is there anyway to change this?

what is the best character/style to use to make the game as easy as possible? i don't give a shit about what is toughest, i just want to enjoy all the sights and beat the game!

I'd commit murder for something that would swap the bumpers/triggers on the 360 pad for this game. Using the bumpers for attacks/blocks is such dogshit.

Mkilbride

Banned
I am considering that some being is conspiring against me.

So, finally I discover the issue, my Logitech G13, which I use for displaying temps / gpu / cpu / various other things, was "over-riding" my DS4, even with the "preferred device" profile.

Unplugged it, DS4 works...but I lose my G13, which I find very useful...

Then, as I come here to post this.

I lose my Internet for 15 minutes.

4 hours spent getting this controller working. Then my net dies. I was sure it'd be down the entire night :p

Now it's just INCREDIBLY slow. Yay.

Grief.exe

This version is so great, I love it.

A couple of screens I took:

So many summon siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigns!!! More than double what I'd see on the PS3.
darksoulsii_2014_04_25_13_20_13_692_by_realghostvids-d7fvbze.jpg

It's truly crazy coming from the GFWL platform as you would never see but 2 or 3 and none of them would work.

Add to that you can't use the L/R2 triggers to switch between options and stuff in the menus. You have to use the mouse or back out B/O cancel to d-pad select. FROM PLZ. PLZ FROM.

(Also allow full controller mapping. Keyboard mapping is there, but not the controller? FROM PLZ. PLZ FROM.)

L1/R1 navigate the menus.

I am considering that some being is conspiring against me.

So, finally I discover the issue, my Logitech G13, which I use for displaying temps / gpu / cpu / various other things, was "over-riding" my DS4, even with the "preferred device" profile.

Unplugged it, DS4 works...but I lose my G13, which I find very useful...

Then, as I come here to post this.

I lose my Internet for 15 minutes.

4 hours spent getting this controller working. Then my net dies. I was sure it'd be down the entire night :p

Now it's just INCREDIBLY slow. Yay.

We kept saying over and over to unplug all controllers.

Helped other people along the way.

Inotti

Ugh, game won't start. Failed to start game error shows up. I'm too tired from work to fix this.

I just tried to start the game this morning before work and same thing happened for me. Ugh. Didn't have time to try anything to fix it but now I know what waits me when I get home. :(

Gbraga

Because you might want to execute a faster strike that doesn't burn most of your stamina?

I guess it has to do with the weapon I'm using then, cause it kinda sucks. Plus, weapons are way too fragile for me to use it. They last longer using power stance moves.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does the PC version have this annoying thing where sometimes the item icons in the menu don't appear right away? Or is it always snappy and fast?
No Man's Wharf
is a pile of crap. I think I might uninstall this game tonight. I beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls without ever feeling this way.

Wha? It's one of my favourite areas. The atmosphere and level design is magnificent.

It's also the only area of the game that I played all the way through, from bonfire to boss without resting, and without dying, on my first playthrough. I felt like a goddamn champ.

Mkilbride

Banned
It's truly crazy coming from the GFWL platform as you would never see but 2 or 3 and none of them would work.

L1/R1 navigate the menus.

We kept saying over and over to unplug all controllers.

Helped other people along the way.

1. No one, has ever said unplug all controllers. I searched. Not once.

2. G13 is not a controller. it is a Keypad.

Trickster

Talk to the woman next to the bonfire in Majula.

She just tells me she can use souls to help me, but she doesn't give me any option to actually use them :x

edit - nvm , she seems to have moved to the bonfire from her original position, I can level up from her now

wrongway

Holy crap this thread moves fast

Newbie question -- I'm trying to get the feel for parrying, and I'm currently practicing on some spear and shield guys. They do a little offhand attack with their shield that I can't seem to parry. Does it only work against main weapon attacks, or am I just missing the window?

I am so glad this game is doing well on the PC. 58k concurrent players is pretty huge.

I will be adding to that number soon, waiting for a physical copy. :D

I played a couple of hours last night, a few thoughts:
- The character creator is awful, I was lucky to get a somewhat normal looking female character out of it. At least I'll likely wearing a big helmet.
- Blocking seems to be less viable than in the first game, with a lot of enemies having quick consecutive attacks and guard breaks. Though I might just be used to the end game status of my DkS character, running around in heavy armor and hiding under a greatshield.
- They ruined halberd, no more wide sweeping attacks :(

So many summon siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigns!!! More than double what I'd see on the PS3.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the PS3 version was like that for about the first 5 days and then started to dry up as most of the active player base is in NG+ and beyond.

Garcia

This is my favorite thing about the game. The place is vibrant, packed with activity. I spent the last couple of hours helping people out with
the 3 Sentinels.
I don't even want to move onward because of how ridiculously good the summoning is right now.

It's like twice as fast as it was on the PS3. Add to that the 3 to 4 seconds it takes to load the game after warping or dying and it transforms into a whole new beast.

Booshka

Enjoy it while it lasts, the PS3 version was like that for about the first 5 days and then started to dry up as most of the active player base is in NG+ and beyond.

Which is why you follow the active player base to NG+. After that it is all about Soul Memory, until that gets patched (hopefully).

There will always be low level NG action, but it's fun to grow and evolve along with most of the community as everyone grinds out playthroughs and PvP.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I just got my shit shoved in by 2 grey invaders and then some little blue midget dude at the same time.

Note to Self: Don't visit the
Clangerous
Covenant area ever again.

Styles

Good Lord, the co-op is so much better on the PC. There has been no lag whatsoever. On the PS3 lag spikes were a normal occurrence during co-op and it hindered my experience with the game quite a bit. Thank God it's been rectified here!

Zushin

It's so fun being a noob again haha.

At the moment Im currently attempting to traverse the hell hole known as
The Gutter
It is not going well at all.

Which is why you follow the active player base to NG+. After that it is all about Soul Memory, until that gets patched (hopefully).

There will always be low level NG action, but it's fun to grow and evolve along with most of the community as everyone grinds out playthroughs and PvP.

I would love too, but I only get to play games a few hours a week so it took me over a month to finish the game on PS3. I lag the main player base and always will. It's just an annoyance I have gotten used too, but it would be fun to have more CO-OP in NG a month from now.

Kapow

This game is so fucking hard. I've been stuck at the wharf for hours, i don't remember either of the other souls games being this hard.

Holy shiet, they weren't kidding when they said they fully optimized this game for the PC.

I'm running this game at 1080p with a smooth 30 - 35 FPS on my ancient ass, 5 year old, Core 2 Duo T9550/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 laptop with a mixture of High and Medium settings.

GPU utlization is 100% which is just perfect, that means that it's not CPU bottlenecked as the first game was.

Dark Souls couldn't even run smoothly at all using the same resolution on my PC. Even with DSFIX + the framerate unlocker, I had to stick to 900p just to get 30 FPS. The lack of a built in forced Vsync + variable framerate also helps smoothen out the experience.

Also gotta give props to FROM Software, the new character customization presets are definitely way better for the characters appearances. They don't look like hideous monkeys anymore like in the first game and tweaking them to look decent enough is much easier.

Brave FROM, you did everything right with the PC port on your second go around. Our faith in you has not been misplaced.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Dark Souls 2 is significantly easier than Dark Souls 1 IMO.

Just got done with the
Three Sentinels

The game even gives you the ability to get a lightning and fire weapon extremely early which pretty much turns shit into butter.

I don't know, I'm BREEZING through DS2 but DS1 kicked my fucking teeth in more often than not.

keyboard and mouse seems...usable, but its a headache since the UI clearly isn't built for it which is disappointing

definitely using my 360 pad

So I played last night for just a little while.

The game was overheating my CPU. I don't mind losing some FPS to avoid this.. but what can I do? Is underclocking my CPU the only option?

Also, I found the roll button to be somewhat laggy. I don't remember how it was in the old games.. is that because the game needs a brief moment to figure out if your'e going to hold the button to run or not? That actually seems like bad design in a way.. seems like it necessarily introduces lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom