• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechazawa

Well, there is also 60,000 concurrent players constantly funneling into the same area.

When that number cuts down drastically and players spread throughout the world, it will be less of a problem.

Well, I actually really like it this way. It's a nice counter to the otherwise brooding atmosphere of the game.

Hoping to see a summon sign or message and rarely ever coming across one in DS1 was disappointing. Dark Souls is an inherently funny series due to the stupid mistakes people can make or dumb things they can find. It's nice to see that reflected.

-MD-

The Playstation button prompts aren't working for me, any help? Followed the readme file but still isn't working.

Nvm got it.

I can't get it to work through HDMI on my 50" plasma. I switched to a 27" monitor through DVI and it worked flawlessly, but when I switched it back to HDMI the game crashed again. Does someone know what to do?

Gazoinks

So I played last night for just a little while.

The game was overheating my CPU. I don't mind losing some FPS to avoid this.. but what can I do? Is underclocking my CPU the only option?

Also, I found the roll button to be somewhat laggy. I don't remember how it was in the old games.. is that because the game needs a brief moment to figure out if your'e going to hold the button to run or not? That actually seems like bad design in a way.. seems like it necessarily introduces lag.

I find that I can't roll out of attacks as quickly as I felt like I could in DkS1, is that what you're seeing?

Anyway, played 4 hours today, really happy so far. Beat
The Last Giant
, dicked around at
Heide's Lightouse
a bit, and now I'm backtracking to unlock some doors I forgot about. Playing a Warrior, but probably going to build into a Str/Mag build and go for the Moonlight Greatsword. Game plays well, different enough from DkS to require learning new stuff, but still familiar. Like the healing system a lot more than I expected to. Yay!

Sadly, my computer isn't quite strong enough to handle downsampling without a big performance hit.

Me+two of my best friends + Skype + name engraved ring = one hell of a time.

We've been having an absolute blast, that poor invader never knew what hit him.

Bittercup

Yay I didn't expect to get my game today because for me Amazon always ships a bit late to my country so I usually get Friday-releases on Monday but this time their truck just drove the delivery right to my city and I got it today. I'm so happy :)

And what about those bonus items from the CE/Black Armour Edition? Should I activate them? Pre-Order Items are usually not a big deal but for a Souls game I'm not sure I want special Items right from the start.
And if, how do I activate them? There's no key in my box.

Booshka

Are quality builds still a thing in DS2? I like having access to just about everything.

Can I still go 27/40?

Dex Scaling for Physical damage is terrible, so it's best to just take your Dex to the minimum requirements and then infuse the weapon with an element. STR scaling for Physical is better, but still not as good as it should be. If you plan on using big ass weapons that require a lot of STR, then going to at least 40 STR is worth it, and most of them will scale ok. If you use smaller weapons that have quality or mostly dex scaling though, then just get your STR to the min requirements for the weapons you want to use.

I play a STR build with 40 STR and 15 DEX, and use mostly big STR weapons and a few other straight swords and STR scaling thrusting swords (Bestoc). I don't suggest 40 DEX for anything at this point, max you probably need for good weapon requirements is 25, unless you partake in some powerstance shenanigans.

impact

Banned
Starting deprived and punching my way through the forest is awesome. Of course picked up the
fire sword
but I can't use it yet. I'm gonna level ADP asap because going from 40ADP to 6ADP makes the roll feel so bad.

No idea what I wanna do with my build, but eyeing the Moonlight GS first playthrough by killing
Freja
and respawning her via bonfire ascetic

Veal

This game is amazing with a wii u pro controller. Finally playing after the grueling months of blackout. Let's go.

je_ssi e

The Playstation button prompts aren't working for me, any help? Followed the readme file but still isn't working.
I was scratching my head until I realized I was missing a step. Aha. I initially just tossed the override folder into the texture folder and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I dunno if you're stuck where I was or not, but I had to enable true for both texturedumping & textureoverride. Then, I had to run the game once after to get the DarkSoulsII folder to show up in the texture folder. Then, I was able to put the override folder in there as the readme states.

Btw.. thank you to the dude who made them!!
I'm all set now. :D

Aeana

Started as a cleric this time through, not wasting any stats on int or faith beyond what I need to equip the spells I want (I don't imagine they fixed the scaling in any patches since I dropped the PS3 version). A much smoother experience than sorcerer on PS3 so far, that's for sure. Managed to get up to and finish the
wharf
this evening.

It's insane how much easier the big dudes in the
tower area
are with a mace compared to soul arrow.

Dex Scaling for Physical damage is terrible, so it's best to just take your Dex to the minimum requirements and then infuse the weapon with an element. STR scaling for Physical is better, but still not as good as it should be. If you plan on using big ass weapons that require a lot of STR, then going to at least 40 STR is worth it, and most of them will scale ok. If you use smaller weapons that have quality or mostly dex scaling though, then just get your STR to the min requirements for the weapons you want to use.

I play a STR build with 40 STR and 15 DEX, and use mostly big STR weapons and a few other straight swords and STR scaling thrusting swords (Bestoc). I don't suggest 40 DEX for anything at this point, max you probably need for good weapon requirements is 25, unless you partake in some powerstance shenanigans.

Well that stinks. I had a great time with the Claymore when I played DS again earlier this year. How would I distribute my stats if I wanted to use that again for example?

Also, are elemental weapons broken again?

-MD-

I was scratching my head until I realized I was missing a step. Aha. I initially just tossed the override folder into the texture folder and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I dunno if you're stuck where I was or not, but I had to enable true for both texturedumping & textureoverride. Then, I had to run the game once after to get the DarkSoulsII folder to show up in the texture folder. Then, I was able to put the override folder in there as the readme states.

Btw.. thank you to the dude who made them!!
I'm all set now. :D

Same issue here, I had to edit the setting to true instead of false.

I didn't need to enable texturedumping though, I only needed to toggle textureoverride. And yes thank you to the fellow that made this.

The Pursuer fight drags on forever. His attacks aren't even difficult to dodge. It just goes on and on and my weapon barely does anything.

He's very resistant against slashing damage. You can either try using blunt damage (clubs/maces) or
use the ballistas
to your advantage. In a good fight he doesn't last longer than 15 seconds. :)

Aeana

The Pursuer fight drags on forever. His attacks aren't even difficult to dodge. It just goes on and on and my weapon barely does anything.

You can use the
ballistas
in the arena if you can manage to get a shot in, and it'll do a massive amount of damage. If you can summon another player to fight with you, this is a lot easier so they can keep his attention. But I've done it just by myself before.

Teknoman

This series is totally different when From doesn't botch the connectivity.

Playing Dark Souls was a lonely, almost pathetic experience with the rare sign/death scattered about.

But DS2 is practically comedic with all the bloodsigns of stupid deaths and silly messages.

Tell me about it lol. Some guy's blood sign consisted of him running by a bridge, panicking when he realized his mistake and ending in a cartoon-like splat.

Also voice chat with shades/other undead doesnt require an item. So if you want to, connect those headsets!

Any chance of the rag doll getting reactivated? Saw a body glitch out and fall down a flight of stairs so it has to be there to some degree right?

Man I feel bad for anyone having problems starting the game. It runs smooth as silk.

I managed to luck out really hard with my Petrified Something starting gift.
F36576D1436D6A10516B0F6A5FAA70D16E9D5CC1

Booshka

Well that stinks. I had a great time with the Claymore when I played DS again earlier this year. How would I distribute my stats if I wanted to use that again for example?

Also, are elemental weapons broken again?

Yes elemental weapons are broken again, especially so because you can buff them with the corresponding element and make them far stronger than pure physical will ever be. For Claymore I would just min/max the requirements and infuse it, I get decent damage out of Claymore on my 40/15 build, because STR scaling is decent so Claymore gets some AR out of it, but the (ring name)
ring of blades
is essentially mandatory to add damage to Physical scaling builds.

Trickster

Jesus this game varies in difficulty. I can be in an area, killing weak undead enemies. Next moment with 4 undead that just keep wailing on me until I'm dead if I mess up a block.

Also those freaking turtle looking dudes are no fucking joke

On a seperate note. I saw a griffin carying a big silver knight. Then it dropped the silver knight on the platform I was on. Due to the surprise of it, I jumped down from the platform, and then the knight dissapeared, and he doesn't seem to come back no matter what I try. If anyone know what I'm talking about, can someone tell me if it's possible to make him reappear, wouldn't mind having a go at him

Gazoinks

Man I feel bad for anyone having problems starting the game. It runs smooth as silk.

I managed to luck out really hard with my Petrified Something starting gift.
F36576D1436D6A10516B0F6A5FAA70D16E9D5CC1

You bastard. All I got was a dragon bone. :p

You know, in my 100+ hours of DkS I only got one Trident and no Baldur Side Swords. RNG hates me.

nbthedude

Nvidia user here (GTX680) and can't seem to find that option. Any tips? Thank you again.

EDIT: Found it, will try it ASAP.

EDIT 2: Didn't work. Damn it. Any other clues?

I'm using Nvidia (780) and I'm outputting over HDMI to a 50" plasma with a DVI hooked up to my PC.

I just set my TV as my main monitor and sound (when you unplug the HDMI from teh back of your TV it will revert to your monitor every time so it's really easy). Then I used Durante's new upscaling program Gedosoto.

Booted Steam into big picture mode, turned off Steam overlay, and have been playing all night on my plasma w/o a single problem.

Garcia

7 hours non-stop. That's even more than the first time I played it on PS3.

I'm done for today. I can't believe how many Tokens of Fidelity I amassed in such a brief amount of time.

Aeana

Jesus this game varies in difficulty. I can be in an area, killing weak undead enemies. Next moment with 4 undead that just keep wailing on me until I'm dead if I mess up a block.

Also those freaking turtle looking dudes are no fucking joke

On a seperate note. I saw a griffin carying a big silver knight. Then it dropped the silver knight on the platform I was on. Due to the surprise of it, I jumped down from the platform, and then the knight dissapeared, and he doesn't seem to come back no matter what I try. If anyone know what I'm talking about, can someone tell me if it's possible to make him reappear, wouldn't mind having a go at him
That's a one time encounter. You will fight him elsewhere instead.

3 hours in, and I'm already at a higher level than I was when I beat Dark Souls. Whoops. I still can't equip half of what I felt I could in Dark Souls, and don't have the stats for any types of magic, either. I want to at least be able to try a bit of everything without making multiple characters.
Good thing I can respec later

The normal mobs are definitely less forgiving this time around, as well, while the first two bosses I fought were unusually merciful.

I was surprised that everything seems to auto-repair when you die...unless that red bar indicates something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom